Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 10th, 2010, 2:02 pm

If I weren't so tired, I would have sat for a glass. This was in the Cleveland airport.
glb.jpg
glbmenu.jpg
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 12th, 2010, 11:49 am

Wow, my 2nd post in this thread. Be careful, the apocalypse is coming.

A friend of mine from VA is a member of the Beer Club for Men w/ his buddies in the neighborhood. They've started a blog about their beer selections, and he suggested I share it w/ y'all (I told him about you cukoos ;) ).

http://thebeerclubformen.blogspot.com/s ... 4fc1f14346

Don't worry about the warning you get when you first click on the link... it's got language, stories, etc in it that is NSFW (or so he told me), but I'm sure y'all would be fine with it.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 12th, 2010, 7:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:If I weren't so tired, I would have sat for a glass. This was in the Cleveland airport.
glb.jpg
glbmenu.jpg
Ida sat for a glass, tired or not.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 12th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Sue71 wrote:Wow, my 2nd post in this thread. Be careful, the apocalypse is coming.

A friend of mine from VA is a member of the Beer Club for Men w/ his buddies in the neighborhood. They've started a blog about their beer selections, and he suggested I share it w/ y'all (I told him about you cukoos ;) ).

http://thebeerclubformen.blogspot.com/s ... 4fc1f14346

Don't worry about the warning you get when you first click on the link... it's got language, stories, etc in it that is NSFW (or so he told me), but I'm sure y'all would be fine with it.
Thanks for sharing. Now stop posting and start drinking :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 13th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Stone Thirteenth Anniversary.
Well, it's Stone...so it can't be bad and you can't go wrong with it.
Super thick, heavily bodied, loaded with malted flavor and a litte bite, this is a classic big beer. Pours a deep but clear brown, full tan head. The taste is balanced equally between hops, malts and alcohol notes..none of the three stands out above the others, the heavy body makes it a very smooth pour and sip. Slight caramel notes crossed with roastiness, lightly fuity, tickles the tongue. And it hangs around for a while.
The bottle tells a whole story which you must pick up to read, but I love this part (separate from the tale). "Do not cellar. Enjoy in 2009". Well...I'm a year late, but it wasn't my doing (thank you devildeac). I still like the idea of the brewer saying "drink it fresh now, don't wait". I'm guessing at just under 10%ABV it would cellar well, but it IS beer, and does have a life limit. There are some brews that last well, and change with age..but I have yet to drink one that convinces me it that aging is really worth the risk of spoilage. I think for that to happen, you have to have a brew that is in the 11 - 15% range...I don't think spoilage is as likely then.
So if you find a "Thirteenth" now...you are too late. Still...take a chance and buy one. If it's good, go back for a couple more.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » June 14th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Anyone ever been to the Red Oak Brewery just off I-85/40, exit 138, near Greensboro? They have tours and tastings on Friday afternoons. Thinking about making a run before the first Brunchgate to bring back a couple of growlers. AW. :D

I knew if I hund around here long enough I'd pickup some of the lingo. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2010, 5:02 pm

August West wrote:Anyone ever been to the Red Oak Brewery just off I-85/40, exit 138, near Greensboro? They have tours and tastings on Friday afternoons. Thinking about making a run before the first Brunchgate to bring back a couple of growlers. AW. :D

I knew if I hund around here long enough I'd pickup some of the lingo. ;)
Seen it many times but never stopped there. I think they on draught in many places around central NC but I have only had their amber. Your idea is a good one. :drool:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Green Flash IIPA

Massive malty backbone and an incredible amount of citrusy hops. They are balanced well with an ABV of 9.4% and IBU of 101. This is a fine late spring/early summer sipper that pours with a foamy 2 fingered head which lingered throughout the 1/2 a bomber I had each night late last week. This would be fine with a spicy or fruity salsa topping on some salmon or halibut with some garlic or horseradish smashed potatoes and sauteed spinach.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 16th, 2010, 8:16 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Stone Thirteenth Anniversary.
Well, it's Stone...so it can't be bad and you can't go wrong with it.
Time for 14...

http://vimeo.com/12598615
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2010, 8:20 pm

For those of you in the Triangle are:

Triangle Belgian-Style Strong Golden Ale

This strong golden ale measures in at 8% & showcases a variety of the ingredients and brewing methods that help differentiate Triangle beers. The Strong Golden is fermented at a higher temperature than our other beers adding an undercurrent of fruitiness (although there is no fruit in the beer). Very lightly filtered, the Golden exhibits complex mouthfeel, strong malt flavors, a spicy hop presence and soothing alcohol warmth, followed by a clean, dry finish. It is excellent with food as well as served by itself. Bronze Medal Winner at 2009 Carolina Championship of Beer.

Food pairings: Richer dishes, meats, cheeses, stews, smoked foods. As an after-dinner drink.

Enjoyed on draft for $4.50 for a full pint at the Mellow Mushroom on Saturday after attending a Beauty and the Beast performance at the DPAC. Slightly hazy with a yellow-orange hue and a buttery, estery nose and tastes of bananas and cloves and a hint of pepper. This was great with an everything pizza. I'd guess the IBU to be low in the 20-30 range and the ABV of 8% was not boozey at all. I have not seen any bottled products from this new brewing company in Derm but would not hesitate a moment to buy a 4 pack or 6er of this stuff of a variety 12 pack. You Derm folks might keep this brewery in mind in the fall for a Brunchgate and pick up a growler to share on a fall afternoon or evening. ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 16th, 2010, 8:26 pm

devildeac wrote:For those of you in the Triangle are:

Triangle Belgian-Style Strong Golden Ale

This strong golden ale measures in at 8% & showcases a variety of the ingredients and brewing methods that help differentiate Triangle beers. The Strong Golden is fermented at a higher temperature than our other beers adding an undercurrent of fruitiness (although there is no fruit in the beer). Very lightly filtered, the Golden exhibits complex mouthfeel, strong malt flavors, a spicy hop presence and soothing alcohol warmth, followed by a clean, dry finish. It is excellent with food as well as served by itself. Bronze Medal Winner at 2009 Carolina Championship of Beer.

Food pairings: Richer dishes, meats, cheeses, stews, smoked foods. As an after-dinner drink.

Enjoyed on draft for $4.50 for a full pint at the Mellow Mushroom on Saturday after attending a Beauty and the Beast performance at the DPAC. Slightly hazy with a yellow-orange hue and a buttery, estery nose and tastes of bananas and cloves and a hint of pepper. This was great with an everything pizza. I'd guess the IBU to be low in the 20-30 range and the ABV of 8% was not boozey at all. I have not seen any bottled products from this new brewing company in Derm but would not hesitate a moment to buy a 4 pack or 6er of this stuff of a variety 12 pack. You Derm folks might keep this brewery in mind in the fall for a Brunchgate and pick up a growler to share on a fall afternoon or evening. ;)
We should contact them for a Brunchgate sponsorship. :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 16th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Flying Dog Raging Bitch...Belgian IPA. Pours a nice amber though fairly thin looking for 8.3% ABV. Strong bitter hops up front with both pine and grapefruit. Decent malt balance that gives way to a yeasty and slightly funky finish. Really well done for this style with just the right blend of hops and yeast. Dangerously drinkable as its fairly light bodied with almost no hint of alcohol.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2010, 9:18 pm

bluebeer wrote:Flying Dog Raging Bitch...Belgian IPA. Pours a nice amber though fairly thin looking for 8.3% ABV. Strong bitter hops up front with both pine and grapefruit. Decent malt balance that gives way to a yeasty and slightly funky finish. Really well done for this style with just the right blend of hops and yeast. Dangerously drinkable as its fairly light bodied with almost no hint of alcohol.
I have seen that but haven't pulled trigger but your review inspires me to look for a 4 pack or 6er of that and share with CB&B, my drug rep trader and my son early next month. Thanks! =p~
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 16th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Saison Du Buff--Collaboration between Victory, Stone, and Dogfish head (3 of my favorite brewers). Mine came in a stone bottle though I heard each are brewing separate batches. It's a saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Pours a nice light cloudy yellow. Dry pilsnery taste with hop bitterness and some light yeasty funk. Can't pick up the individual herbs but it has a grassy, herbal taste with some spiciness. Less fruity than other saisons with a very dry finish. A good beer but not as great as I would hope for given the brewers involved. Not my favorite style overall which probably adds some bias. Definitely worth checking out though. 6.8% ABV...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 16th, 2010, 9:23 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:Flying Dog Raging Bitch...Belgian IPA. Pours a nice amber though fairly thin looking for 8.3% ABV. Strong bitter hops up front with both pine and grapefruit. Decent malt balance that gives way to a yeasty and slightly funky finish. Really well done for this style with just the right blend of hops and yeast. Dangerously drinkable as its fairly light bodied with almost no hint of alcohol.
I have seen that but haven't pulled trigger but your review inspires me to look for a 4 pack or 6er of that and share with CB&B, my drug rep trader and my son early next month. Thanks! =p~
Definitely grab a 6er if you come across it again. Makes for a nice alternative to a typical IPA..I might even have one tonight :D ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 16th, 2010, 9:28 pm

devildeac wrote:
I bought a 6 pack once. Once. I don't know why, but it was just not one that I enjoyed as much as I hoped, given the brewer and the name of the beer. I'll be looking forward to DD's review, just to see which side of the tree he barks on.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 16th, 2010, 9:38 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I bought a 6 pack once. Once. I don't know why, but it was just not one that I enjoyed as much as I hoped, given the brewer and the name of the beer. I'll be looking forward to DD's review, just to see which side of the tree he barks on.
Now DD has to go buy it to break the tie.. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 17th, 2010, 12:17 am

:text-givemebeer:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2010, 11:09 pm

bluebeer wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I
Now DD has to go buy it to break the tie.. :D
I'm going beer shopping this weekend for the tie-breaker. And a few others for sipping, trading and celebrating :D .
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 18th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Hey folks, I've been MIA for a few weeks for a host of reasons that I won't bore you all with. I should be around more in the near future. For the sake of making this post relevant to the thread, tonight I'm having The Gubna along with some jungle curry with chicken. Both beer and food are delicious.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.