LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » June 1st, 2009, 10:44 am

bjornolf wrote:Thanks to all about the advice about the reunion. It went pretty well. I knew Sean would adjust, he always does, and he LOVES visiting his grandparents, either set. I just felt bad for him at the time. He had fun. There's a train and a duckpond at the park, and we took him to both. He had a BLAST riding the train, and feeding the ducks. Doing both the party and the reunion in one day just wasn't going to happen, as the reunion started at 1100 hours and the party started at 1200 hours and the two places are a 3+ hour drive (should be about 2.5, but with DC weekend traffic, it's more like 3.5, dammit! X( X( X( ). But, he had a good time, as he always does when we visit them. Michael and Katie had fun too. If anybody's interested, I can put up a picture of them on the train. :D

The great irony was that Erica's mom (my mother-in-law, MiL) got a titanic nosebleed on the way to the reunion, and they spent the 90% of the reunion at the ER. I offered to take her in place of FiL, but he refused (I think I would have preferred the ER ;) ... she probably would too!). They didn't get to the reunion 'til around 1700 hours, after we, and most of the younger crowd, had left. Erica's mom lost a LOT of blood (they didn't see her for a couple hours, and the doctor was pissed b/c he said it was one of the worst he'd seen and she should have been treated much sooner, but that a lot of it was running down her throat so the front people didn't see). The doc said it was a pretty major vein that had popped in there. They cauterized it, but he's worried that it might spring again. She has to go see her ENT today to check on it. Hope she feels better soon.

%%-
Karma.

I hope your MIL feels better soon.

I'm glad your kids had a good time.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 11:50 am

Tell your mom to treat the jacket (and pants too) with her favorite prewash treatment, Shout or just a touch of Oxyclean and soak the garments in COLD water for a good while, like an hour or so. I usually rinse them then put just a bit more of the prewash stuff on before a cold water wash in the machine. If needed I do one more wash, treat it again, but this time I use warm water. (I find the cold water soak helps loosen up dried blood.)
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 1st, 2009, 11:52 am

I'm sure your mom knows this, but if all that doesn't get the blood out, DO NOT PUT THE CLOTHES IN THE DRYER. Keep trying but once blood has gone through the dryer, I think you're better off buying a new jacket.
Last edited by Bostondevil on June 1st, 2009, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 11:52 am

Bostondevil wrote:Tell your mom to treat the jacket (and pants too) with her favorite prewash treatment, Shout or just a touch of Oxyclean and soak the garments in COLD water for a good while, like an hour or so. I usually rinse them then put just a bit more of the prewash stuff on before a cold water wash in the machine. If needed I do one more wash, treat it again, but this time I use warm water. (I find the cold water soak helps loosen up dried blood.)
Ooo, I'll let her know. Thanks!
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 11:52 am

Bostondevil wrote:I'm sure your mom knows this, but if all that doesn't get the blood out, DO NOT PUT THE CLOTHES IN THE DRYER. Keep trying but once blood has gone through the dryer, I think you're better off buying a new jacket.
I'm pretty sure she does, but it doesn't hurt to remind her. Thanks!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 1st, 2009, 12:20 pm

I always just have one of my henchmen take care of my bloody clothes.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 12:30 pm

My dad gave me a drill for Christmas. Think I'm going to use it on my head tonight to drain my sinuses.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 12:31 pm

TillyGalore wrote:My dad gave me a drill for Christmas. Think I'm going to use it on my head tonight to drain my sinuses.

Devildeac, think a chocolate stout has enough alcohol in it to numb me up for the aforementioned procedure?
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 12:37 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Sending vibes to Lavabe for a safe trip and stay in country, and to ILJ and LegacyLady that life isn't too tough without Lavabe.
So, it took Lavabe leaving to get me to sign onto CrazieTalk!

Thanks Tilly and everyone for the thoughts not just for Lavabe, but for LegacyLady and me too. We are sad without Ben and it's only the 2nd day. Georgia seems to look for him, especially if we say his name. I just heard that my niece (DD's 1st daughter) is working on getting a ticket to fly here next week and I am so excited! LegacyLady will be thrilled!!

ILoveJimmy
If you decide to come east whilst Lavabe is away, I hope we can get together.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 1st, 2009, 12:38 pm

TillyGalore wrote:My dad gave me a drill for Christmas. Think I'm going to use it on my head tonight to drain my sinuses.
:-o :-o That makes me hurt thinking about it! :-o :-o You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon! Vicks vapor rub might be a less painful experience! :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 12:39 pm

cl15876 wrote:
:-o :-o That makes me hurt thinking about it! :-o :-o You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon! Vicks vapor rub might be a less painful experience! :D
My first thought was that the vapor rub might upset my delicate skin. Then realized drilling holes will seriously upset my delicate skin and possibly a few other things.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 1st, 2009, 12:40 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ILoveJimmy wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Sending vibes to Lavabe for a safe trip and stay in country, and to ILJ and LegacyLady that life isn't too tough without Lavabe.

Thanks Tilly and everyone for the thoughts not just for Lavabe, but for LegacyLady and me too. We are sad without Ben and it's only the 2nd day. Georgia seems to look for him, especially if we say his name. I just heard that my niece (DD's 1st daughter) is working on getting a ticket to fly here next week and I am so excited! LegacyLady will be thrilled!!

ILoveJimmy
And if you come west, you have a friend in Kansas. Will be keeping all of you in my prayers - work separations can be hard but the internet connectivity should help.

Glad you made it safely, Lavabe.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 1st, 2009, 12:42 pm

wilson wrote:I always just have one of my henchmen take care of my bloody clothes.
I thought that was why you had wenches.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 1st, 2009, 12:43 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Tell your mom to treat the jacket (and pants too) with her favorite prewash treatment, Shout or just a touch of Oxyclean and soak the garments in COLD water for a good while, like an hour or so. I usually rinse them then put just a bit more of the prewash stuff on before a cold water wash in the machine. If needed I do one more wash, treat it again, but this time I use warm water. (I find the cold water soak helps loosen up dried blood.)
Ooo, I'll let her know. Thanks!
there are several enzyme based cleaners found in your friendly neighborhood pet store that do a great job on 'body fluid' stains of any kind. I've gotten blood off things (my sofa and carpet come to mind...dog tore is pad and bled all over before we saw it!)

I would echo the DO NOT PUT IN DRYER - the heat will set the stain beyond all hope.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 1st, 2009, 12:46 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ILoveJimmy wrote:

ILoveJimmy
If you decide to come osuth, you have a friend in Florida!

...and welcome aboard!!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » June 1st, 2009, 1:34 pm

Thanks all.

Tilly - I will come east (maybe July) and we will get together!

DIK - I will not likely come west, but thanks for the well wishes and invite.

Windsor - definitely not going to Florida - too hot and humid. How do you keep your long hair so straight, frizz-free, and beautiful?! Thanks for the welcome aboard!

ILoveJimmy
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 1st, 2009, 1:38 pm

I'm telling you, go to your ENT and have them turbinate it. Or have you tried a nettipot? Not sure if that's the spelling, but my WalMart sells them. It pours water up your nose and it comes pouring out the other nostril, along with ALL kinds of nasty gunk. It has gotten my sinuses cleared out more than once. If you need more pressure, my allergist sold me this little attachment that you put on one of those water guns that use a motor to shoot water between your teeth to clean them. You put the special attachment on it, then shoot the water up your nose at pressure. It REALLY gets all the crap out. Works REALLY well. It sounds pretty weird, and when you first do it, it's kind of like being waterboarded, but it REALLY helps, a lot more than a drill would anyway. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 1st, 2009, 1:40 pm

wilson wrote:I always just have one of my henchmen take care of my bloody clothes.
Henchmen are SO last season. I find that you really need minions to carry out your nefarious plans in this day and age. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 1st, 2009, 1:42 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:Thanks all.

Tilly - I will come east (maybe July) and we will get together!

DIK - I will not likely come west, but thanks for the well wishes and invite.

Windsor - definitely not going to Florida - too hot and humid. How do you keep your long hair so straight, frizz-free, and beautiful?! Thanks for the welcome aboard!

ILoveJimmy
Lucky me. :D :D :D :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2009, 1:46 pm

TMI

I simply don't like the images of large drill bits poking out of various iatrogenically created holes in your cranium or adjacent zip codes above your shoulders. :shock: :ymsick:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.