The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » August 23rd, 2023, 12:08 pm

Early court tomorrow, will tape and watch tomorrow with a strong drink.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2023, 9:31 pm

Ramaswamy annoys the absolute snot out of me. I've never watched him speak before, but good lord, that ventriloquist dummy smile on his face is awful, and what he says is more awful. The amount of cheers he gets is disturbing.

Christie is doing a fair job of holding his own. There are like three or four people up there that might as well have their mic muted for amount of time they've gotten.

After hearing Vivek shout that climate change is a hoax and we need to embrace coal, I don't have a drink in my house stiff enough to watch this whole thing, but I survived a tasting. I'll catch the rest from highlights.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2023, 7:26 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 23rd, 2023, 9:31 pm
Ramaswamy annoys the absolute snot out of me. I've never watched him speak before, but good lord, that ventriloquist dummy smile on his face is awful, and what he says is more awful. The amount of cheers he gets is disturbing.

Christie is doing a fair job of holding his own. There are like three or four people up there that might as well have their mic muted for amount of time they've gotten.

After hearing Vivek shout that climate change is a hoax and we need to embrace coal, I don't have a drink in my house stiff enough to watch this whole thing, but I survived a tasting. I'll catch the rest from highlights.
I didn’t watch. I’ve had a really bad headache since Monday, and the debate wouldn’t have helped.

My dad likes Ramaswamy, which gave me my first clue that I wouldn’t. Sure enough, from what I’ve read, he’s a HELL NO. I read somewhere that he believes we should cede Ukraine (or part of it?) to Russia to end the war. He may have been the one who said that a war between two European bullies is none of our business. Wonder how much money he’s getting from Putin.

I still need to determine if any of these clowns is even palatable as a candidate. I always want each side to have someone I’d feel comfortable with, and Republicans are so far off to the right that they’re scary. Trump and DeSantis terrify me, and Pence makes me uneasy as well. Given his weird views, women and minorities would likely see even more rights go away.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2023, 9:02 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 24th, 2023, 7:26 am
I didn’t watch. I’ve had a really bad headache since Monday, and the debate wouldn’t have helped.

My dad likes Ramaswamy, which gave me my first clue that I wouldn’t. Sure enough, from what I’ve read, he’s a HELL NO. I read somewhere that he believes we should cede Ukraine (or part of it?) to Russia to end the war. He may have been the one who said that a war between two European bullies is none of our business. Wonder how much money he’s getting from Putin.
He's also said that China can have Taiwan after we are making semiconductor chips here at home. (I'm sure Beijing will give us a very discounted price if we let them have Taiwan.)
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 24th, 2023, 9:55 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 24th, 2023, 7:26 am
August 23rd, 2023, 9:31 pm

I still need to determine if any of these clowns is even palatable as a candidate. I always want each side to have someone I’d feel comfortable with, and Republicans are so far off to the right that they’re scary. Trump and DeSantis terrify me, and Pence makes me uneasy as well. Given his weird views, women and minorities would likely see even more rights go away.
I didn't watch it - also fighting a flu and knew that watching would not make me feel any better (hope you feel better!). I was following the NYT writers live commentary for part of it then started dozing off.

Your dad's take jives with what I have read so far. Ramaswamy was going for the wow factor and just throwing crazy stuff out there. He seems to be playing the Trump role and hopes to comfortably slide into Trump's seat if Trump is no longer running, while also keeping open the possibility of being a VP candidate.

It sounds like Haley was the most tolerable of the bunch (not counting Hutchinson, who has zero chance), but I have seen her waffle throughout her career so I don't trust a word that comes out of her mouth. It seems like she was already pivoting for the general election, which is all well and good except she has to win the primary first.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 24th, 2023, 10:04 am

After making my last post, I went to Ramaswamy's wiki page to learn more about him. I'm struggling to understand how the average MAGA lover will support a Hindu who went to Harvard undergrad and Yale law and "He has described himself as an animal rights activist, writing that it is "wrong to kill sentient animals for culinary pleasure.""

But supporting Trump is also a major contradiction for many of them and they have clearly had a lot of that Kool-Aid so crazier things have happened.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2023, 10:53 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 24th, 2023, 10:04 am
After making my last post, I went to Ramaswamy's wiki page to learn more about him. I'm struggling to understand how the average MAGA lover will support a Hindu who went to Harvard undergrad and Yale law and "He has described himself as an animal rights activist, writing that it is "wrong to kill sentient animals for culinary pleasure.""

But supporting Trump is also a major contradiction for many of them and they have clearly had a lot of that Kool-Aid so crazier things have happened.
In the debate, he came across to me as one driven by greed and looking for power to keep feeding his greed. His embrace of the climate change hoax cemented that for me.

He'd run over a field of cute bunnies if they were in between him and a chance to grow his wealth.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2023, 9:01 pm

Watching the events of the night, and the pundits are explaining how there is a new law in Georgia that goes in effect October 1st. This law allows a complaint to be filed against a district attorney, which then goes before a commission, who has the power to remove said DA.

Of course more than one complaint will be filed against Willis. I now have no faith that she will be around to prosecute Trump & Company.
By the way, there isn't a single Democrat on that commission.

X(
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 31st, 2023, 3:41 pm

Regardless of whether McConnell stays in the Senate, some GOP senators are pondering a leadership change given his recent scary freeze ups. It would make sense. I doubt philosophically anything would change with someone else being handed the gavel, but it would almost certainly be a younger member replacing him. (Anyone older than him than Chuck Grassley?)
Some rank-and-file Republicans have discussed the possibility of a broader conversation once senators return to Washington next week, according to a person directly involved in the conversations who confirmed them on condition of anonymity. Party leadership is not currently involved in those discussions, and nothing has been decided yet, this person added.

It takes just five Republican senators to force a special conference meeting, which is the most direct way to have a specific discussion about the minority leader after his public pause on Wednesday revived questions about his condition.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-senators ... 43831.html
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am

My Dad: “Gas prices are high because Biden has cut our oil production by 1.2 billion barrels a day!” I did quick Google search because that number sounded really high. Leo and behold, we don’t produce that much if I read the numbers correctly. What they do show, though, is that it did drop when he was elected. It’s now where it was at the end of the Trump administration. My dad’s response was, “The Democrats fabricated those numbers to make Biden look good.” The graph started in 1984, I believe. That’s a LOT of numbers to fabricate.

This is one small window into Trumplandia. People legit believe that Trump is the best President we’ve ever had, Biden has serious health issues that should cause him to be removed from office, and the Democrats are fabricating all the data that says Biden is doing a good job. (Dad thinks Biden’s health is worse that McConnell’s.) I really loathe Faux News.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 2nd, 2023, 8:32 am

August 31st, 2023, 3:41 pm
Regardless of whether McConnell stays in the Senate, some GOP senators are pondering a leadership change given his recent scary freeze ups. It would make sense. I doubt philosophically anything would change with someone else being handed the gavel, but it would almost certainly be a younger member replacing him. (Anyone older than him than Chuck Grassley?)
Some rank-and-file Republicans have discussed the possibility of a broader conversation once senators return to Washington next week, according to a person directly involved in the conversations who confirmed them on condition of anonymity. Party leadership is not currently involved in those discussions, and nothing has been decided yet, this person added.

It takes just five Republican senators to force a special conference meeting, which is the most direct way to have a specific discussion about the minority leader after his public pause on Wednesday revived questions about his condition.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-senators ... 43831.html
I read an article in a reputable magazine in which doctors speculated on his condition. The consensus opinion is that his freeze-ups are seizures that are treatable and do not inhibit his ability to do his job. I’m not sure I buy the last part.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 2nd, 2023, 12:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am
Leo and behold
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 2nd, 2023, 6:37 pm

September 2nd, 2023, 12:05 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
Leo and behold
=)) =)) =))
Gotta love autocorrect. I can’t read my iPad very well when I’m wearing my bifocal contacts, so that one snuck by me.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 2nd, 2023, 8:42 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
My Dad: “Gas prices are high because Biden has cut our oil production by 1.2 billion barrels a day!” I did quick Google search because that number sounded really high. Leo and behold, we don’t produce that much if I read the numbers correctly. What they do show, though, is that it did drop when he was elected. It’s now where it was at the end of the Trump administration. My dad’s response was, “The Democrats fabricated those numbers to make Biden look good.” The graph started in 1984, I believe. That’s a LOT of numbers to fabricate.

This is one small window into Trumplandia. People legit believe that Trump is the best President we’ve ever had, Biden has serious health issues that should cause him to be removed from office, and the Democrats are fabricating all the data that says Biden is doing a good job. (Dad thinks Biden’s health is worse that McConnell’s.) I really loathe Faux News.
I'm sorry you have to deal with this with your father. It must be very challenging, particularly with a close family member.

I refuse to call "Fox News" by its proper name as it is not News. It is propaganda. Unfortunately the law suit against them did nothing. I do not know how to un-brainwash those who believe everything this network tells them.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 3rd, 2023, 8:53 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 8:42 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:

I'm sorry you have to deal with this with your father. It must be very challenging, particularly with a close family member.

I refuse to call "Fox News" by its proper name as it is not News. It is propaganda. Unfortunately the law suit against them did nothing. I do not know how to un-brainwash those who believe everything this network tells them.
Thanks. Yeah, the default to, “The Democrats are lying to make Biden look good,” is pure Faux. My dad’s example of why Biden isn’t fit to serve was how he stumbled on the steps going into Air Force One. My response was to point out that Trump did, too, as did pretty much every other President in my memory. Maybe Obama didn’t, but that wouldn’t have gone over well. He also ranted and railed about Hunter Biden. I asked if he was cool with Jared Kushner’s $2 billion payoff from Saudi Arabia. I had to explain who he was. The response was a monologue on all the wonderful things Trump did for the Middle East. So, the point about the impossibility of un-brainwashing is real.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK

Post by OPK » September 3rd, 2023, 9:03 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
September 3rd, 2023, 8:53 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 8:42 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, the default to, “The Democrats are lying to make Biden look good,” is pure Faux. My dad’s example of why Biden isn’t fit to serve was how he stumbled on the steps going into Air Force One. My response was to point out that Trump did, too, as did pretty much every other President in my memory. Maybe Obama didn’t, but that wouldn’t have gone over well. He also ranted and railed about Hunter Biden. I asked if he was cool with Jared Kushner’s $2 billion payoff from Saudi Arabia. I had to explain who he was. The response was a monologue on all the wonderful things Trump did for the Middle East. So, the point about the impossibility of un-brainwashing is real.
FauxNews has done more to undermine democracy in this country than about any other force.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 8th, 2023, 4:44 pm

'Cue up the ire of conservatives everywhere as Nancy Pelosi embarks on her 100th re-election run. (Probably 100th. :p )
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 8th, 2023, 5:03 pm

September 8th, 2023, 4:44 pm
'Cue up the ire of conservatives everywhere as Nancy Pelosi embarks on her 100th re-election run. (Probably 100th. :p )
Between her and Feinstein they really have the geriatrics from California. At least she is only running for a two year term.

Given McConnell's unfortunate recent situations and Grassley turning 90 shortly, the Republicans really can't say much.

Bill Clinton has been out of office for 23 years and he is 77, as is the second George Bush. Obama is 62. Dan Quayle is 76.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 13th, 2023, 3:42 pm

Mitt Romney calls it wraps.
Utah Republican Sen. Mitt Romney said Wednesday that he will not run for reelection in 2024, creating a wide-open contest in a state that heavily favors Republicans and is expected to attract a crowded field.

Romney, a former presidential candidate and governor of Massachusetts, made the announcement in a video statement. The 76-year-old said the country is ready for new leadership.
He is the sixth incumbent senator to announce plans to retire after the end of the term in 2025, joining Republican Mike Braun of Indiana and Democrats Tom Carper of Delaware, Ben Cardin of Maryland, Dianne Feinstein of California and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-gop-sen ... 17614.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » September 13th, 2023, 7:40 pm

September 13th, 2023, 3:42 pm
Mitt Romney calls it wraps.
Utah Republican Sen. Mitt Romney said Wednesday that he will not run for reelection in 2024, creating a wide-open contest in a state that heavily favors Republicans and is expected to attract a crowded field.

Romney, a former presidential candidate and governor of Massachusetts, made the announcement in a video statement. The 76-year-old said the country is ready for new leadership.
He is the sixth incumbent senator to announce plans to retire after the end of the term in 2025, joining Republican Mike Braun of Indiana and Democrats Tom Carper of Delaware, Ben Cardin of Maryland, Dianne Feinstein of California and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-gop-sen ... 17614.html
I have mixed feelings about him. Yes, he is better than the MAGA folks. And he has taken some anti-Trump stands. But not nearly enough. He won his last election in 2018 when Trump was sitting president, and Romney likely knew it was his last term. He had nothing to lose. If he was a real Patriot, he would have more vocally stood up to Trump. I'm guessing I will prefer him to whoever replaces him, but he is far from a saint.

I read somewhere that he has a book coming out and apparently it quotes a lot of Republicans badmouthing Trump. So that should be fun.