Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 18th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I'm (-| time for bed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 18th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I had something very strange happen this evening. I went to put supper in my microwave and noticed that the electricity to it was out. Lights in the kitchen were still working. I went back to check my circuit breaker and discovered that my washer had stopped in mid-cycle. I flipped every breaker in my breaker box, no luck. At this point I went around and did a survey: lights in both bathrooms and one bedroom out, all electrical outlets in kitchen out, living room and back bedroom okay. Went to the main switch in the basement and heard a strange noise (bzzzt - bzzt). Flipped main switch off and on, no luck. Came back upstairs to continue my inventory. Was waiting to see if the furnace came on; I didn't know if it was affected. I was relieved a few minutes later that the furnace did decide to come back and further relieved to discover that everything else came back on, too. I went back down to the basement, no more strange noise. So, those of you who know something about this type of thing, how strange is this and how worried should I be?
Sounds like you need an electrician.
I agree. You need an electrician to check things out before you have a fire. The buzzing sound could be an overloaded (or failing) breaker, perhaps loose connections. Or it could be something else completely, beyond my expertise.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » March 18th, 2010, 9:32 pm

cl15876 wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Freezer was delivered at 12:30. Anyone want to bet that I immediately packed up and went into the office?
Not biting on that one! Those delivery people are just miserable! Say they will be there between 9-12, but don't show up until 4-5 because your stuff was loaded first and they had to drop everyone else's stuff off so they could get to you! I think we need a Service Delivery Law that refunds us for the day wasted sitting around :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w waiting.... :-w :-w :-w and waiting! ;)
They actually called the day before and gave me a 2pm-6pm window. Then they called today at noon and said they'd be there in a half hour. I was quite pleased with the delivery guys from Home Depot.
-- DukeUsul
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 18th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm feeling the need to make a Trader Joe's trip. Maybe this weekend. :D
Oh, man! That sounds like such fun! I :romance-heartbeating: TJs!
Me too and so does DukePA. Is one near you?
The closest one is at the Beltline and Wake Forest Road in Raleigh. I try to stop by TJs when I'm in Raleigh.

I shopped at TJs all the time when I lived in San Jose.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 18th, 2010, 9:50 pm

I ate dinner at Talbots tonight. They were having a promotion, and they had quesadillas, tuna things and kebobs from Chefs 505. They also had wine and CORONA.

I gave up beer (and apparently wine) for Lent, so I didn't imbibe. I did enjoy a small quesadilla!

I got a book, Lift, by Kelly Corrigan. It was free with $100 worth of merchandise. I ran into one of my mom's friends there who gave her free book to me.

I tried on lots of clothes, but Talbots' spring line looks ridiculous on me. Too much pink. I didn't buy anything this time.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 18th, 2010, 9:55 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had something very strange happen this evening. I went to put supper in my microwave and noticed that the electricity to it was out. Lights in the kitchen were still working. I went back to check my circuit breaker and discovered that my washer had stopped in mid-cycle. I flipped every breaker in my breaker box, no luck. At this point I went around and did a survey: lights in both bathrooms and one bedroom out, all electrical outlets in kitchen out, living room and back bedroom okay. Went to the main switch in the basement and heard a strange noise (bzzzt - bzzt). Flipped main switch off and on, no luck. Came back upstairs to continue my inventory. Was waiting to see if the furnace came on; I didn't know if it was affected. I was relieved a few minutes later that the furnace did decide to come back and further relieved to discover that everything else came back on, too. I went back down to the basement, no more strange noise. So, those of you who know something about this type of thing, how strange is this and how worried should I be?
Sounds like everything may not be wired into the circuit breakers. I don't know about residential construction but some industrial installations are poorly documents. I got the shock of my life when after I had shut down a panel, I bumped into a fuse block. Turns out someone ran some wires from another panel into the one I was working on, so even though I had properly locked out the panel, there were still some live circuits in it. As someone else mentioned, you may want to consult an electrician.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 18th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Cheap post for 5900, I think.

Just helpin' the cause here ;) :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 19th, 2010, 4:29 am

Cause helped.

Morning, bjornolf! ~O)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 19th, 2010, 4:57 am

Hmm...up early. What to do, what to do?
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

devildeac wrote:Cheap post for 5900, I think.

Just helpin' the cause here ;) :D .
Make that 2 cheap ones. :D
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 19th, 2010, 7:04 am

Adam & I got a lot done in Kenansville. We'll come back next week and hopefully finish. :)
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » March 19th, 2010, 10:13 am

Talked to the doc today after having my galbladder ultrasaounded. I have a gallstone and it's a big one. Which can actually be good since it's too big to get stuck in the bile duct. But it can still be causing the pain. Will need to decide if it's bad enough to take it out.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 19th, 2010, 11:01 am

My neighbor had this problem a couple days ago. All her GFIs and the power to one room was out. She tried all her breakers to no effect. My father in law, a retired electrician, went over there to check it out with his voltmeter. Turned out it was the electric company's problem. There are two main lines that come into the house through the breaker box, and one of the two had gone bad. They hooked her up to her neighbor's power to keep her going until they can replace it. I suppose one of yours might be going bad, but isn't quite dead yet. Just a thought.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 19th, 2010, 11:18 am

DukeUsul wrote:Talked to the doc today after having my galbladder ultrasaounded. I have a gallstone and it's a big one. Which can actually be good since it's too big to get stuck in the bile duct. But it can still be causing the pain. Will need to decide if it's bad enough to take it out.
Hope you feel better. 30+ years ago Mrs. Ozzie had her gall bladder out and it was 7 - 10 days in the hospital, major cuts through the abdomen and a long recovery. Today, it's a small laproscopic incision or two and you're home in a day. In fact, I know an assistant golf pro who played 2 days after surgery (we were amazed but his surgeon, a friend of mine, said it was OK).

Can they dissolve the stone with ultrasound treatments? That or surgery are about the only remedies. BTW, eastern NC is the stone capital of the world. Must be something in the water ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 19th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Way quiet around here today. I'm heading out to visit the little one for the weekend!

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 19th, 2010, 2:35 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Way quiet around here today. I'm heading out to visit the little one for the weekend!
Drive safe. I've fallen asleep in my chair today at work. Twice. :asleep:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2010, 2:36 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Way quiet around here today. I'm heading out to visit the little one for the weekend!
Sounds like you need to have the TV louder...

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » March 19th, 2010, 2:47 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Sounds like you need to have the TV louder...

:)) =))
I'm stuck in a bar/restaurant. I took the train to GA last night and when I went to get my car, I needed my car keys. I had left them in my sister's house in Cumming, GA on purpose. She gave me a key to the house. Wrong key. So I'm stiffle-dinked. Nowhere to go. I'm at the bar though. I may be apfelkrankled by the time of the Duke game. This SUCKS! Sort of.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » March 19th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Shitty week at work is over! Woo!!!!
-- DukeUsul
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 19th, 2010, 7:59 pm

bjornolf wrote:
My neighbor had this problem a couple days ago. All her GFIs and the power to one room was out. She tried all her breakers to no effect. My father in law, a retired electrician, went over there to check it out with his voltmeter. Turned out it was the electric company's problem. There are two main lines that come into the house through the breaker box, and one of the two had gone bad. They hooked her up to her neighbor's power to keep her going until they can replace it. I suppose one of yours might be going bad, but isn't quite dead yet. Just a thought.

%%-
Thanks for the tip, bjornolf! I have now officially noticed that the power to my front bedroom blinks when my furnace kicks on.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein