Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 1:51 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 1:35 pm
Trump's legal team falls apart. His lawyers are quitting.
Two lawyers defending Donald Trump on federal charges of illegally retaining classified documents quit the case on Friday and a former aide was charged as well in surprise developments one day after the former U.S. president was indicted.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-faces- ... 39122.html
Again.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Trump's buddy Walt Nauta, the guy who helped move boxes, has also been indicted. You know that dude's under tons of pressure from both sides. The charge makes sense since one of the indictments is for conspiracy to obstruct, which obviously means that more than one person was involved.

There is lots of speculation that one of the indictments against Trump is going to be for witness tampering. Good 'ol Walt has been asked lots about that I bet.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 9th, 2023, 2:06 pm

June 9th, 2023, 1:35 pm
Trump's legal team falls apart. His lawyers are quitting.
Two lawyers defending Donald Trump on federal charges of illegally retaining classified documents quit the case on Friday and a former aide was charged as well in surprise developments one day after the former U.S. president was indicted.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-faces- ... 39122.html
Though interestingly, I just googled the lawyer who is representing him, Todd Blanche, and he actually seems to have good credentials, unlike most of the hacks who seem to be representing him now - he just started his own firm after being a partner at Cadwalader after having worked at a few other big firms and was fairly senior at the US Attorney's office.

I thought he was going to have to hire Lionel Hutz.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 2:53 pm

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -documents

Copy of the indictment for those that want it from the horse’s mouth.

Boom.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2023, 3:46 pm

OPK wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 2:53 pm

Boom.
I just spent some time looking through some of the mountain of evidence that DOJ has. They have witness quotes, photos, audio recordings, security footage, etc.

He's fucked.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 4:05 pm

June 9th, 2023, 3:46 pm
OPK wrote:

Boom.
I just spent some time looking through some of the mountain of evidence that DOJ has. They have witness quotes, photos, audio recordings, security footage, etc.

He's fucked.
Good luck to the new lawyers.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2023, 4:06 pm

OPK wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 4:05 pm
He's fucked.
"We'll take payment up front, thanks."
OPK

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 4:10 pm

June 9th, 2023, 4:06 pm
OPK wrote:
He's fucked.
"We'll take payment up front, thanks."
Damn straight.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 9th, 2023, 4:10 pm

OPK wrote:

Boom.

He's fucked.
During the Roy Williams era, we all used to joke about him running the bus over his players. That is nothing compared to what Trump will do to Nauta and his lawyers. His initial response was to publicly defend Nauta but that poor guy is going to take the fall for all of this as Trump will act like he did everything on his own. In a normal world, if a direct report of a supervisor goes completely rogue (which obviously isn't what happened here but is what Trump will claim happened), that supervisor still gets in trouble. But throughout his life, Trump has been able to avoid trouble while letting his people take the hit. And despite this, people are still eager to work for him.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 4:36 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 4:10 pm
OPK wrote:

Boom.

He's fucked.
During the Roy Williams era, we all used to joke about him running the bus over his players. That is nothing compared to what Trump will do to Nauta and his lawyers. His initial response was to publicly defend Nauta but that poor guy is going to take the fall for all of this as Trump will act like he did everything on his own. In a normal world, if a direct report of a supervisor goes completely rogue (which obviously isn't what happened here but is what Trump will claim happened), that supervisor still gets in trouble. But throughout his life, Trump has been able to avoid trouble while letting his people take the hit. And despite this, people are still eager to work for him.
The problem for trump with this — and defending against the indictment in general — is that he would need to take the stand to rebut a lot of this. And everyone knows he cannot. Just look at Alex Murdoch, a bright and experienced lawyer, when the facts basically forced him to take the stand. It was a bloodbath.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 9th, 2023, 4:40 pm

OPK wrote:
OPK wrote:

Boom.

He's fucked.
Just thought of something - hard to keep track of all of the lawyers - are the lawyers who quit today the ones cited in the report? Or have those ones been gone for a while? I assume the ones in the report are now potentially in an adversarial position to Trump so obviously can't represent him. Though I'm assuming they knew that was possible a long time ago so wouldn't have waited until today to quit?
OPK

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 4:59 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 4:40 pm
OPK wrote:

He's fucked.
Just thought of something - hard to keep track of all of the lawyers - are the lawyers who quit today the ones cited in the report? Or have those ones been gone for a while? I assume the ones in the report are now potentially in an adversarial position to Trump so obviously can't represent him. Though I'm assuming they knew that was possible a long time ago so wouldn't have waited until today to quit?
Pretty sure that one is Eastman, who I imagine has to be gone. But not sure.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2023, 8:18 pm

OPK wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 4:59 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 4:40 pm
Pretty sure that one is Eastman, who I imagine has to be gone. But not sure.
Eastman is more an issue in the Jan 6th probe, which is still underway. In this current case, I'm assuming we will hear the name Evan Corcoran a fair amount, and he's been gone for a while.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2023, 8:21 pm

I wonder if Walt will plead guilty. He's fucked, too, and he's a prime candidate to cut a deal.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 9th, 2023, 8:36 pm

To spare you all the misery, I decided to check Foxnews.com, where millions of Americans think they are getting "News" when in fact they are getting lies and propaganda.

The main headline is "Trump Rips Jack Smith after bombshell 37-count indictment". Next to it are pictures of Trump (looking angry) and Smith (a not particularly flattering picture of him, though I noticed he bears a resemblance to Coach Beard from Ted Lasso) with "Deranged Lunatic" written over it - I assume that is Trump's description of Smith, which is the ultimate example of irony.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2023, 8:52 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 8:36 pm
To spare you all the misery, I decided to check Foxnews.com, where millions of Americans think they are getting "News" when in fact they are getting lies and propaganda.
Thanks for taking one for the team. I do think as the gravity and the reality of these charges settle in, as does the recognition that he's probably guilty as hell, folks at FOX, in Congress, and those campaigning against him are going to gradually shift their tone.

Ron DeSantis is dancing somewhere tonight, strategizing how he'll turn the tide of influence.

Christie is probably passed out drunk from his celebration.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 9th, 2023, 9:17 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

The main headline is "Trump Rips Jack Smith after bombshell 37-count indictment". Next to it are pictures of Trump (looking angry) and Smith (a not particularly flattering picture of him, though I noticed he bears a resemblance to Coach Beard from Ted Lasso) with "Deranged Lunatic" written over it - I assume that is Trump's description of Smith, which is the ultimate example of irony.
Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed. Your reward is no doubt in the next life.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 9th, 2023, 9:32 pm

OPK wrote:
June 9th, 2023, 9:17 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed. Your reward is no doubt in the next life.
Thank you. My inspiration to check was seeing the cover of the NY Post (also owned by Murdoch) in the supermarket tonight with the headline:

Hail to the Thiefs
Trump indicted for taking classified documents
Ukrainian Bizman: 'I bribed Biden for $10M'

There obviously were equal sized pictures of both Trump and Biden.
Lotusland
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Lotusland » June 10th, 2023, 8:21 am

Biggest bummer about this was learning that there are no cameras or recordings allowed in federal court. Was thinking Trumpers would watch the trials and see the evidence presented in an unfiltered manner but that won’t happen.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 12th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Fox News to Tucker..."Stop that!"
Fox News is stepping up its legal fight with its former star Tucker Carlson, according to news reports.

The network sent a “cease and desist” letter to Carlson claiming his new show on Twitter violates his Fox employment contract, which reportedly expires in early 2025.
Tucker's team in retort points out that Fox made the most monumental mistake in the history of monumental mistakes.
Harmeet K. Dhillon, a lawyer for Carlson, called the decision to remove Carlson from the network “the most catastrophic programming decision in the history of the cable news industry,” adding that her client won’t be silenced.
Even Donald would be impressed at magnitude of Tucker's historical influence!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-sen ... 11962.html