LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by devildeac » May 28th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I suggest a 10pm toast to DinK's former car.
Holy Sheet-previously reviewed and enjoyed. Sounded like a good 10PM toast brew. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 28th, 2009, 10:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:So, here I am, sitting at home doing laundry while frantically trying to finish my poster presentation. I head out on Saturday to a big conference in Philadelphia; poster has to be uploaded tomorrow! (insert "eek" smiley here...) One of my co-workers has been on vacation this week, which means I've been doing her job plus my job while trying to finish the poster. I look forward to the conference because I'll have a chance to slow down and rest! How sad is that?!

So, this is my first trip to Philly. Recommendations?
Where in Philly is the convention? I went to one in Philly last year.
It's at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. It's a very big convention. A gaggle of geeks, if you will. :geek: :ugeek: :oops: :lol:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 28th, 2009, 10:49 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
It's at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. It's a very big convention. A gaggle of geeks, if you will. :geek: :ugeek: :oops: :lol:
You'll be right next to the Reading Terminal Market. You MUST go. Enjoy! (It's bigger than you realize. Plan to eat a meal there at least once and leave enough time to explore it fully. Buy yourself snacks there, so maybe go at the beginning of your trip.)

Oh, and have a Philly pretzel or two for me. :D
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 28th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the toasts for my car. I missed the 10pm toast - so I'm having a glass of wine now.

Just booked my flights to go visit my sister and her family in PA. Graduation, a dance recital, and various festivities will occur. I can't wait!
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 29th, 2009, 12:36 am

bjornolf wrote:Hey, Wilson, do you have one of these? I think you need one:

%%-
Man, you have no idea how badly I want a sword. But really, it would probably be a bad idea...I already have a wooden baseball bat that I randomly and profligately tote around the house.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 29th, 2009, 1:50 am

I <3 fire alarms caused by stupid people who don't know how to open a window or turn on a fan when cooking. Damn. L-) ~x( :-q

Who's happy to move? I told the LAFD I may have to bake cookies for them next time. They laughed.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 29th, 2009, 3:30 am

i-)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 29th, 2009, 5:21 am

Sue71 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
You'll be right next to the Reading Terminal Market. You MUST go. Enjoy! (It's bigger than you realize. Plan to eat a meal there at least once and leave enough time to explore it fully. Buy yourself snacks there, so maybe go at the beginning of your trip.)

Thanks for the tip, Sue! Definitely looks like a place worth visiting. I noticed several restaurants with cheesesteaks as well, so I should be set! :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 29th, 2009, 6:02 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Sue! Definitely looks like a place worth visiting. I noticed several restaurants with cheesesteaks as well, so I should be set! :D
If you follow the Food Network show THROWDOWN (with Bobby Flay), you'll also know that there's a woman there in the market who makes some of the best mac 'n' cheese.

Nonetheless, I believe Bobby Flay won that throwdown.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 29th, 2009, 6:04 am

Sue71 wrote:I <3 fire alarms caused by stupid people who don't know how to open a window or turn on a fan when cooking. Damn. L-) ~x( :-q

Who's happy to move? I told the LAFD I may have to bake cookies for them next time. They laughed.
Good thing you didn't slip into CTN mode, and say that you were going to make someone WALK THE PLANK. #-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » May 29th, 2009, 6:10 am

Lavabe wrote:Good thing you didn't slip into CTN mode, and say that you were going to make someone WALK THE PLANK. #-o
Sometimes walking the plank is the better option...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 29th, 2009, 7:31 am

Hey, Wilson, thought you might like it.

Bone/CL - were you looking for a "Polo"? If so, here it is. If not, :ymblushing: oops.

I just wanted to vent for a second. My wife's uncle wanted to have a HUGE family reunion involving all the branches of the family, the size of which they haven't had in 20 years (they have a reunion of just the one branch of the family every year, but seldom do they get together all the descendants of all of my wife's grandmother's six brothers and sisters). Anyway, they wanted to have it on Memorial Day weekend, but they scheduled it for this weekend, thinking this was the right weekend. Oops. Now Sean is going to have to miss his two best friends' birthday parties this weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday (including an ice skating party). My wife insists that he has to be at the reunion, cause it's important to her dad, and so seldom do they get the WHOLE family together. That family is ALL about family duty...they aren't very close and most really don't like each other THAT much, but they get together as often as possible "cause it's what families do". Apparently, since my father in law is estranged from his other two daughters and all their kids, he wants to have all his available grandkids on deck. I offered to stay with Sean to take him to the parties (slick of me, eh?), my parents, who live twenty minutes away from us, offered to take him for the weekend and take him to the parties. No dice. The wife wants him there. He's all upset about not getting to go. He'll HATE the reunion (all the kids are either much older or much younger than he, so he doesn't really fit in anywhere) cause he always hates them. And it's all because her idiot uncle, who was a marine so you'd think he'd know when Memorial Day is, picked the wrong weekend cause he couldn't be bothered to study the calendar back when he reserved the place.

Anyway, I just feel bad for the kid. Rant over. Maybe the crew could send a few hugs my son's way, and a few kicks my wife's uncle's way. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2009, 8:00 am

ArkieDukie wrote:So, here I am, sitting at home doing laundry while frantically trying to finish my poster presentation. I head out on Saturday to a big conference in Philadelphia; poster has to be uploaded tomorrow! (insert "eek" smiley here...) One of my co-workers has been on vacation this week, which means I've been doing her job plus my job while trying to finish the poster. I look forward to the conference because I'll have a chance to slow down and rest! How sad is that?!

So, this is my first trip to Philly. Recommendations?
JIm's
Pat's
Geno's
:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2009, 8:05 am

Sue71 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Reading Terminal-agreed
Pretzels-agreed
A couple Belgian ale houses around the Center City area.

Did I mention Jim's, Pat's and Geno's? :D
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » May 29th, 2009, 9:30 am

bjornolf wrote:Hey, Wilson, thought you might like it.

Bone/CL - were you looking for a "Polo"? If so, here it is. If not, :ymblushing: oops.

I just wanted to vent for a second. My wife's uncle wanted to have a HUGE family reunion involving all the branches of the family, the size of which they haven't had in 20 years (they have a reunion of just the one branch of the family every year, but seldom do they get together all the descendants of all of my wife's grandmother's six brothers and sisters). Anyway, they wanted to have it on Memorial Day weekend, but they scheduled it for this weekend, thinking this was the right weekend. Oops. Now Sean is going to have to miss his two best friends' birthday parties this weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday (including an ice skating party). My wife insists that he has to be at the reunion, cause it's important to her dad, and so seldom do they get the WHOLE family together. That family is ALL about family duty...they aren't very close and most really don't like each other THAT much, but they get together as often as possible "cause it's what families do". Apparently, since my father in law is estranged from his other two daughters and all their kids, he wants to have all his available grandkids on deck. I offered to stay with Sean to take him to the parties (slick of me, eh?), my parents, who live twenty minutes away from us, offered to take him for the weekend and take him to the parties. No dice. The wife wants him there. He's all upset about not getting to go. He'll HATE the reunion (all the kids are either much older or much younger than he, so he doesn't really fit in anywhere) cause he always hates them. And it's all because her idiot uncle, who was a marine so you'd think he'd know when Memorial Day is, picked the wrong weekend cause he couldn't be bothered to study the calendar back when he reserved the place.

Anyway, I just feel bad for the kid. Rant over. Maybe the crew could send a few hugs my son's way, and a few kicks my wife's uncle's way. ;)

%%-
Is it too late to insist that two grandchildren at the reunion will be enough? Happy to send vibes and shin kicks. I'd also just say, hey, they made a mistake that my son should not have to pay for and let him stay with your parents. Spoken by one who has taken family shit for sometimes making decisions in the best interest of her kids for years.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 29th, 2009, 9:31 am

Sue71 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Absolutely the Reading Terminal Market. It is a short walk from the Convention Center. Walk around inside RTM before you choose where to eat. Somewhere in the middle is a deli serving excellent corned beef and pastrami sandwiches, and they are very large, but not quite Carnegie sized :D They also have turkey and other meats available. I rate this place 8F's, high praise indeed! To remind everyone of the rating scale, this from the original Ymm Pastrami thread http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/for ... t=pastrami :
I think this thread has been a long time in coming. The only ground rule is that all comparisons and ratings have be be done to the mother ship - The Carnegie Deli. When measured on the 9F scale (thanks to whomever suggested that in the Ymm Beer thread!), Carnegie's pastrami and corned beef both rate 9F's, only because there is no 10F 9F is therefore perfection!
When I left the RTM, I met Billy King and his lovely wife outside!

As mentioned above, there are also Pat's and Geno's, competing kings of the Philly cheese steak. They are on opposite corners somewhere in Philly. I stopped at one store to eat lunch on my way out of town, and got a cheese steak to go from the other to eat for dinner on the drive home. Both were good, well, OK, but I can get better here locally, which on the one hand was a big disappointment, but on the other hand, is really a good thing as I don't have to drive 8 hours (times 2) to get a great cheese steak!

Bookbinders is a great "old time" Philly restaurant to get a great steak.

Another recommendation! If they are in town, go to a Phillies game! Their new ball park is absolutely beautiful, and a great place to watch a game! And ticket prices are reasonable. I saw them play the Mets last year. I bought (and printed!) my ticket online before I left home from the team's web site and saved the markup charged on Stub Hub. http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/ti ... p?c_id=phi

Enjoy!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2009, 9:38 am

Jim's-4th and South for cheesesteaks-my cousin lives in Philly and picked that over Pat's and Genos' which she called "for the tourists."

Find some Victory brews.
Find some Dogfish Head brews (from Delaware).
Find some Stoudt's brews.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2009, 9:42 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Absolutely the Reading Terminal Market. It is a short walk from the Convention Center. Walk around inside RTM before you choose where to eat. Somewhere in the middle is a deli serving excellent corned beef and pastrami sandwiches, and they are very large, but not quite Carnegie sized :D They also have turkey and other meats available. I rate this place 8F's, high praise indeed! To remind everyone of the rating scale, this from the original Ymm Pastrami thread http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/for ... t=pastrami :
I think this thread has been a long time in coming. The only ground rule is that all comparisons and ratings have be be done to the mother ship - The Carnegie Deli. When measured on the 9F scale (thanks to whomever suggested that in the Ymm Beer thread!), Carnegie's pastrami and corned beef both rate 9F's, only because there is no 10F 9F is therefore perfection!
When I left the RTM, I met Billy King and his lovely wife outside!

As mentioned above, there are also Pat's and Geno's, competing kings of the Philly cheese steak. They are on opposite corners somewhere in Philly. I stopped at one store to eat lunch on my way out of town, and got a cheese steak to go from the other to eat for dinner on the drive home. Both were good, well, OK, but I can get better here locally, which on the one hand was a big disappointment, but on the other hand, is really a good thing as I don't have to drive 8 hours (times 2) to get a great cheese steak!

Bookbinders is a great "old time" Philly restaurant to get a great steak.

Another recommendation! If they are in town, go to a Phillies game! Their new ball park is absolutely beautiful, and a great place to watch a game! And ticket prices are reasonable. I saw them play the Mets last year. I bought (and printed!) my ticket online before I left home from the team's web site and saved the markup charged on Stub Hub. http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/ti ... p?c_id=phi

Enjoy!
Ozzie's correct about a great cheesesteak close to where he lives at Sami's (sp?). But then, you'd have to drive/fly down to Smithfield to enjoy. The advantages would be that you'd get to meet Ozzie, I'd drive down to meet you, too and Ozzie would buy us BOTH the cheesesteaks :D :)) =)) .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 29th, 2009, 11:21 am

devildeac wrote:
Ozzie's correct about a great cheesesteak close to where he lives at Sami's (sp?). But then, you'd have to drive/fly down to Smithfield to enjoy. The advantages would be that you'd get to meet Ozzie, I'd drive down to meet you, too and Ozzie would buy us BOTH the cheesesteaks :D :)) =)) .
Yes, it is Sami's. Me buy? I could do that. We'll get them to go, you bring the beer!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 29th, 2009, 11:23 am

bjornolf wrote:Hey, Wilson, thought you might like it.

%%-

Make sure that Sean pitches a dying duck fit at the reunion. Encourage it from the beginning of the event until your FIL or wife asks you to take him away. Then, when you leave, reward him with ice cream, and take him to his two parties.

Stories like yours make me so happy that I don't have to deal with the OUT-laws anymore! :ymdevil:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith