Foods I don't understand

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Foods I don't understand

Post by CathyCA » September 9th, 2009, 2:34 pm

windsor wrote:
CathyCA wrote: I don't know how they have time to do all of that stuff--homeschool, make soap, grow and can fruits and vegetables, nurse babies, change diapers, make more babies. . .

Other then the 'make and nurse babies' they have a large supply of cheap (aka 'free') labor to assist with all the other chores.
There is not enough prozac, wellbutrin, paxil, lexapro, seroquel, aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen or alcohol in the world to get me through one day in the life of Michelle Duggar.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » September 9th, 2009, 2:38 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Yeah, the Duggar family has to make that kind of cake because they're too busy uh, doing other things, to bake a cake.

I guess she's going to keep popping them out until her uterus explodes.
I have serious philosophical issues with that family. I honestly think there's something psychologically wrong with them, and I think it's horribly irresponsible from an ecological standpoint to have 20 fucking kids or however many they have.
I'm with you wilson. The only thing I can say in their defense, is that their children appear to be well-behaved and genuinely loved by all in the family. While I can't even begin to understand what in hell they were thinking, I think the world could certainly use a few more children raised with love and affection. I just hope they get the rest right.
sMiles
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » September 9th, 2009, 2:45 pm

windsor wrote: I don't like 'whipped topping' chocolate for otherwise so I'm not a fan. If I want something like whipped cream then I'm whipping some cream :D
I'm not a fan of Cool Whip or other "whipped toppings" from a plastic container. I think the reference was to Reddi Whip Chocolate flavored whipped cream (from a can). It's not bad - and it's low-fat.

Edited to add: Hey! Why are the links Carolina blue?
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 9th, 2009, 2:53 pm

bjornolf wrote:Not a big fan of their choices, but their ecological footprint is actually pretty small, considering their size. They buy all their clothes at thrift stores and most of their things used. They make their own soap. They grow and can their own fruits and vegetables. They have a nice big property with lots of trees and grass. They home school their kids. They drive a bus to get everybody around without using multiple cars (they have smaller cars for when they go in smaller groups). They recycle. They re-use a LOT of things most people just throw away.

%%-
This is all well and good, but to oversimplify a little, what would happen if everyone had twenty kids? There's still an undeniably large footprint there, to say nothing of the (undoubtedly prodigious) future progeny of that brood. The world just doesn't need that many more people.
Any children I ever have beyond #2 will be adopted (though I'm by no means sure I care to have more than 2...probably not, in fact).
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 9th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Miles wrote:I'm with you wilson. The only thing I can say in their defense, is that their children appear to be well-behaved and genuinely loved by all in the family. While I can't even begin to understand what in hell they were thinking, I think the world could certainly use a few more children raised with love and affection. I just hope they get the rest right.
I think you're right here, and the seeming well-adjustedness of the kids is to the whole family's considerable credit. My other issues with the whole situation, however, remain. I also will just about guarantee you that at least of the couple of those kids have some rather serious troubles as adults stemming from having grown up amid such a crowd.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 9th, 2009, 4:26 pm

wilson wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm with you wilson. The only thing I can say in their defense, is that their children appear to be well-behaved and genuinely loved by all in the family. While I can't even begin to understand what in hell they were thinking, I think the world could certainly use a few more children raised with love and affection. I just hope they get the rest right.
I think you're right here, and the seeming well-adjustedness of the kids is to the whole family's considerable credit. My other issues with the whole situation, however, remain. I also will just about guarantee you that at least of the couple of those kids have some rather serious troubles as adults stemming from having grown up amid such a crowd.
My fear is that with as sheltered as they have been, some of them, especially the girls (as they seem to be even MORE sheltered), will be taken advantage of by some unscrupulous knave at some point. Heck, they don't even watch TV.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage