Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Site and Forum Suggestion List

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'd like to suggest a new thread clearly labeled to welcome new members. The current thread is long and begins with posts about interlopers. We want new members to find their welcome as easily as possible! B-)
I agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
What you've described, Oz, is exactly what I'm suggesting that we eliminate and/or prevent. I thought of this today when Bill Brill was being welcomed and wondered if he has the time or interest to read through all that stuff to find the kind and enthusiastic welcoming statements aimed at him.
We can PM him here or on DBR and welcome him to this site.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'd like to suggest a new thread clearly labeled to welcome new members. The current thread is long and begins with posts about interlopers. We want new members to find their welcome as easily as possible! B-)
I agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
I'll ponder this with beer, you have a good point. We also need to see what the mods say..
How about we leave the current thread "as is" and then have a "welcome" thread for each new member individually, let the members make their aquaintances and then let the thread fade into "oblivion?"
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 7th, 2009, 3:41 pm

PWs don't die, they just fade to the back pages?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 4:28 pm

CathyCA wrote:When a legitimate new member comes in, couldn't we just have a "Welcome" thread devoted to that member? It would stay up on the first page until we all have posted our welcomes to that member, and then it will just roll on off to the second page.

It seems fairly easy to do. I'm concerned about not overwhelming a newbie.
I like that recommendation! :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 4:32 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:"quote="Devil in the Blue Dress""I'd like to suggest a new thread clearly labeled to welcome new members. The current thread is long and begins with posts about interlopers. We want new members to find their welcome as easily as possible! B-)"/quote"
I'll ponder this with beer, you have a good point. We also need to see what the mods say..
How about we leave the current thread "as is" and then have a "welcome" thread for each new member individually, let the members make their aquaintances and then let the thread fade into "oblivion?"
I 2nd that! :-bd
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 4:39 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:[quote="CameronBornAndBredI agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
I 2nd that! :-bd[/quote]
Cathy said that about 30 minutes before I did. Can't believe I missed her post. Too much PW-ing... :oops:
I also PM'ed that to CB&B and DukePA.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 4:53 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
devildeac wrote:Cathy said that about 30 minutes before I did. Can't believe I missed her post. Too much PW-ing... :oops:
You MUST part with your PWing ways and be more attentive :(( :(( :(( :(( There is an addiction thread here, ... just saying.... ;) :D :ymhug:
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 5:09 pm

devildeac wrote: I also PM'ed that to CB&B and DukePA.
You're a moderator. You have responsibilities!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
devildeac wrote: I also PM'ed that to CB&B and DukePA.
You're a moderator. You have responsibilities!
:-bd :-bd :-bd =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 5:26 pm

cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:How about we leave the current thread "as is" and then have a "welcome" thread for each new member individually, let the members make their aquaintances and then let the thread fade into "oblivion?"
devildeac wrote:Cathy said that about 30 minutes before I did. Can't believe I missed her post. Too much PW-ing... :oops:
You MUST part with your PWing ways and be more attentive :(( :(( :(( :(( There is an addiction thread here, ... just saying.... ;) :D :ymhug:
I know. I started it. :roll: :oops: :)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 7th, 2009, 5:41 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:"quote="devildeac""How about we leave the current thread "as is" and then have a "welcome" thread for each new member individually, let the members make their aquaintances and then let the thread fade into "oblivion?""/quote"

I know. I started it. :roll: :oops: :)) =))
Supporter and accountability here (let alone everyone else! :roll: ), we will help you walk that line!!!! ;) :D :ymhug: =)) =)) =))
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 7th, 2009, 6:03 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
That's what I'm saying. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 10:16 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I'll ponder this with beer, you have a good point. We also need to see what the mods say..
I know :oops: . I gave you credit for the original ideer that I had overlooked when I was PM'ing with CB&B and Duke PA about the suggestions.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 8th, 2009, 8:51 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: How about we leave the current thread "as is" and then have a "welcome" thread for each new member individually, let the members make their aquaintances and then let the thread fade into "oblivion?"
I know :oops: . I gave you credit for the original ideer that I had overlooked when I was PM'ing with CB&B and Duke PA about the suggestions.
I know. But I enjoy beating the dead horse because it pads my post count. b-(
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 8th, 2009, 9:06 am

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote: How about we leave the current thread "as is" and then have a "welcome" thread for each new member individually, let the members make their aquaintances and then let the thread fade into "oblivion?"

I know. But I enjoy beating the dead horse because it pads my post count. b-(
Be sure to wave as you go past me... :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Any way a link to chat can be put in a sticky for easier/quicker access?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2009, 9:30 pm

devildeac wrote:Any way a link to chat can be put in a sticky for easier/quicker access?
There is a stickied thread called "chat tutorial". In the first post there is a link.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2009, 10:11 pm

devildeac wrote:Any way a link to chat can be put in a sticky for easier/quicker access?
There is a stickied thread called "chat tutorial". In the first post there is a link.
I changed the title so it's a little more obvious.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2009, 11:59 pm

I changed the title so it's a little more obvious.
Thanks to both of the above.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 7:40 am

After reviewing the "status" bestowed after reaching various PW-ing, err, posting levels, I like the idea of assistant/associate/full professorships with an honorary well-endowed BONES professorship to be included, of course ( :roll: ). Goals beyond that could be department chair, dean and president. I'd leave other suggestions to those more familiar with the system to provide addition suggestions like Lavabe, wilson and colchar have done so far, IIRC.