Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Native wrote:It's Duke. :9f:
:ymapplause:

Happy to hear you have made a decision, and happy to know that you had some pretty special opportunities to choose from. Congratulations, and best of luck to you!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 18th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Congratulations! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2011, 3:19 pm

We all figured it would be ;)

Congrats on the decision but didn't interacting with all of the Duke alumns here and seeing how they turned out make you more reticent to choose Duke?

:)) :)) :))
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 18th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Woo hoo! Native, congratulations! :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :dance: :-BD ^:)^ :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 18th, 2011, 3:55 pm

:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

:text-bravo:
**==
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 18th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Wow! Congratulations! What a difficult choice to make - you really couldn't go wrong, no matter what you chose.
-- DukeUsul
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 18th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Congratulations! I know you'll be happy at Duke. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I worship the Blue Devil!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 18th, 2011, 6:14 pm

The OP and I are SURE to be blamed for this. But, I swear we were neutral to even leaning toward State. I went over to the house this morning, expecting to learn that he had come to a conclusion, but within 15 minutes of the time I arrived he had changed his mind four or five times. It was clear he was in anguish over this. It's a LOT of money to tell your family you are considering turning down when they are going to have to make major lifestyle changes to send you.

So, I asked him to take the OP and me over to State and show us the whole facility and everything involved with the Park. We walked our buns off! We were very, very taken with the whole scene. Then we drove over for one last look at Duke. When he stepped out of the car on East Campus and took 8 or 10 steps, his face broke into the first smile I'd seen all day. His gait quickened and he began to chatter on and on about the various dorms and about who his room mate might be and where Rolvix lives, and the different options he would look into for a double major etc, etc. As far as I was concerned, the decision was clear. We all grinned and bumped fists.

Thanks to all of you for keeping us grounded as much as possible through all this.

Now then. He needs a job..... badly.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 18th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:The OP and I are SURE to be blamed for this. But, I swear we were neutral to even leaning toward State. I went over to the house this morning, expecting to learn that he had come to a conclusion, but within 15 minutes of the time I arrived he had changed his mind four or five times. It was clear he was in anguish over this. It's a LOT of money to tell your family you are considering turning down when they are going to have to make major lifestyle changes to send you.

So, I asked him to take the OP and me over to State and show us the whole facility and everything involved with the Park. We walked our buns off! We were very, very taken with the whole scene. Then we drove over for one last look at Duke. When he stepped out of the car on East Campus and took 8 or 10 steps, his face broke into the first smile I'd seen all day. His gait quickened and he began to chatter on and on about the various dorms and about who his room mate might be and where Rolvix lives, and the different options he would look into for a double major etc, etc. As far as I was concerned, the decision was clear. We all grinned and bumped fists.

Thanks to all of you for keeping us grounded as much as possible through all this.

Love, Ima
That's a great story, Ima! Kudos to you and the OP for helping Native make his decision. And, Native, congratulations on your decision and best wishes for a wonderful 4 years at Duke!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 18th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Woooooooooooooo-hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You went with your heart! You will never regret this decision.

Congratulations!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 18th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:The OP and I are SURE to be blamed for this. But, I swear we were neutral to even leaning toward State. I went over to the house this morning, expecting to learn that he had come to a conclusion, but within 15 minutes of the time I arrived he had changed his mind four or five times. It was clear he was in anguish over this. It's a LOT of money to tell your family you are considering turning down when they are going to have to make major lifestyle changes to send you.

Love, Ima
I believe early on I told him to take the money (the Park Scholarship) and run. But having said that, the State campus really is very ugly. My daughter went there her freshman year and she's the one who told me that. Taking him over there was a stroke of genius! :D :9f:

DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 18th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Channeling my inner Ren and Stimpy: "Happy, happy, Joy, joy!!" Go Native!!! Welcome to the Blue Devil, Cameron Crazie Tribe!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 18th, 2011, 8:54 pm

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :Clap: :Clap: :-BD :9f:

Congratulations!!!!!!! You Devil, you. :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 18th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Love, Ima
Ima, this was a terrific move by you and the OP. We are all thrilled that Native is going to Duke, of course, but I'm glad he made the decision to go where his heart led him. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Love, Ima
He doesn't need a job. He needs a winning powerball ticket. What an incredibly tough decision. When I went to Duke, I made about $1000 with each summer job I worked and my parents and I split the tuition each year. It started off at $2100 for my freshman year and, when I graduated, it was $2500. The summer before my junior year, I made about $2500 and I got to do whatever I wanted with the extra $1250 I had earned. I bought a stereo for about $200 and saved the rest.

Fast forward to the last eight years. My kids made $5000-$7000 several summers and that amounted to about 1/5 to 1/6 or less of their tuition bills. An amazing difference. For the class of 2015, tuition now exceeds $40K. That's why this is an incredibly difficult decision. I congratulate him on the amount of time and anguish he experienced coming to this conclusion. We are all Dukies here in some form or another and of course we are pleased with his choice. I think most would have been just as happy and admired him equally had he chosen the Park. Well done and have a great career at the Gothic Wonderland. :clap: ^:)^
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 19th, 2011, 8:56 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Now then. He needs a job..... badly.
Love, Ima
Guess we should start the adoption paperwork so Native can use the discount I get for my kids to attend Duke. ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 19th, 2011, 10:04 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I believe early on I told him to take the money (the Park Scholarship) and run. But having said that, the State campus really is very ugly. My daughter went there her freshman year and she's the one who told me that. Taking him over there was a stroke of genius! :D :9f:
Actually, the State campus was gorgeous. Very well manicured, flowers blooming. The buildings, inside and out, were pristeen. It's clear that their landscape and agriculture schools have an affect on the grounds. The Honors Village he would have lived in was first rate. The Centennial campus where the Park facility is located along with all the corporations affiliated with it is astounding and growing. Lots of busses running students and anybody else from place to place over the rolling hills of green between facilities. I have a new respect for State.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 19th, 2011, 10:43 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I believe early on I told him to take the money (the Park Scholarship) and run. But having said that, the State campus really is very ugly. My daughter went there her freshman year and she's the one who told me that. Taking him over there was a stroke of genius! :D :9f:
Actually, the State campus was gorgeous. Very well manicured, flowers blooming. The buildings, inside and out, were pristeen. It's clear that their landscape and agriculture schools have an affect on the grounds. The Honors Village he would have lived in was first rate. The Centennial campus where the Park facility is located along with all the corporations affiliated with it is astounding and growing. Lots of busses running students and anybody else from place to place over the rolling hills of green between facilities. I have a new respect for State.
Love, Ima
OK, 10 years ago the State main campus was ugly. Nothing but mundane red brick buildings. The Centennial Campus is pretty nice.

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 21st, 2011, 8:31 am

Good luck!
Aren't cha glad that part's all done?
You had many fine choices. That, in itself, is quite an accomplishment.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 21st, 2011, 10:29 am

Congratulations, Native! Welcome to Duke!
Life is good!