What's for dinner?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2010, 9:07 am

Although not dinner, I just made Mrs. devildeac an egg-beater omelet with fresh Carmen peppers, ham, a little cheese, and fresh basil, served with toasted ciabatta, some bacon, and two varieties of fresh tomato.

My omelet was sans cheese, and instead of ham I had sauteed sweet onions with my peppers.

Fresh basil is a godsend. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 9:25 am

Lavabe wrote:Although not dinner, I just made Mrs. devildeac an egg-beater omelet with fresh Carmen peppers, ham, a little cheese, and fresh basil, served with toasted ciabatta, some bacon, and two varieties of fresh tomato.

My omelet was sans cheese, and instead of ham I had sauteed sweet onions with my peppers.

Mmmmm save me some, I'm on my way!
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2010, 9:48 am

Lavabe wrote:Although not dinner, I just made Mrs. devildeac an egg-beater omelet with fresh Carmen peppers, ham, a little cheese, and fresh basil, served with toasted ciabatta, some bacon, and two varieties of fresh tomato.

Mrs DD may have to spend an extra hour or two on the treadmill this week after a visit to the Lavabe's. Just like we both had to earlier this year after visiting and eating too well for a weekend in the Land of the Lost.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2010, 11:06 am

devildeac wrote:

Mrs DD may have to spend an extra hour or two on the treadmill this week after a visit to the Lavabe's. Just like we both had to earlier this year after visiting and eating too well for a weekend in the Land of the Lost.
She did her walk AND also took Georgia on a walk. Mrs. devildeac will be just fine.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:

She did her walk AND also took Georgia on a walk. Mrs. devildeac will be just fine.
Glad her chef AND personal trainers are watching out for her. =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 8th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Ribs turned out great. Side of sauteed summer squash and whole grain bread.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 8:07 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Ribs turned out great. Side of sauteed summer squash and whole grain bread.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
Great to hear. For most of my time in California I didn't have a grill, so I was left to use my friend's gas grill. It took a few times but soon I was smoking ribs, whole chickens and once did 11 lbs of pork shoulder. Prerequisite was having independent left and right burners, but the key was replacing the vaporizer shield with a flat grill and ceramic briquets. They do a damn fine job of distributing heat and giving the wood chunks or smoke pouch a more realistic surface upon which to rest.
sMiles
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 8th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Yeah the hard part was getting the smoke pouch ignited right. I have four burners, arranged "vertically" as you look at them. I had planned to put just the very right one on med-low and the meat situated over a water pan all the way to the left. The burners have "tent" flavor bars over them. I situated the foil pack so that it was suspended over the far-right and mid-right burners but I just couldn't get it ignited to smoke. So after a bit I put both the far-right and mid-right burners on and moved the foil pack to the rear of the grill (which is always hotter) and quickly got the smoke going.

Other than that it was pretty smooth. There was definitely less smoke than when I use the real smoker, but that's a good thing - when I make the ribs in the smoker I tend to over-smoke them.
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » August 8th, 2010, 10:07 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Yeah the hard part was getting the smoke pouch ignited right. I have four burners, arranged "vertically" as you look at them. I had planned to put just the very right one on med-low and the meat situated over a water pan all the way to the left. The burners have "tent" flavor bars over them. I situated the foil pack so that it was suspended over the far-right and mid-right burners but I just couldn't get it ignited to smoke. So after a bit I put both the far-right and mid-right burners on and moved the foil pack to the rear of the grill (which is always hotter) and quickly got the smoke going.

Other than that it was pretty smooth. There was definitely less smoke than when I use the real smoker, but that's a good thing - when I make the ribs in the smoker I tend to over-smoke them.
I know exactly what you're talking about with the tent/vaporizer/radiant. Depending on the size and performance of your grill, you might consider replacing the tents with a rack and briquets. It's worth a trying and a pretty low cost, low threat conversion that's fairly easy to undo. Here's a link to similar ceramic briquets that I used, but there are hickory flavored and the ones I had were just normal old ceramic. Once I converted to ceramic, I was able to run the grill (all burners) on high for about 15 minutes, then I'd throw smoke pouches, or wood chunks directly onto the briquets until the grill started smoking. From there I'd kill the heat under the wood and voila, ready to smoke.

I'm also with you on the smoke control with the gas grill. It feels almost sacrilegious to admit, but I've found the smoke from the gas grill much easier to control than on my 22.5 Weber. Now if I had a barrel smoker... it would be a different story.
sMiles
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » August 8th, 2010, 10:10 pm

I had grilled tofu with rice and a roasted red pepper relish; guests had burgers, hot dogs, and sausages with the works.

GRRR to the gall bladder issues I seem to be having. :flame:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 8th, 2010, 10:14 pm

bluebutton wrote:I had grilled tofu with rice and a roasted red pepper relish; guests had burgers, hot dogs, and sausages with the works.

GRRR to the gall bladder issues I seem to be having. :flame:
Bless your heart! Or gall bladder. :wizard: :pray: Hope you feel better soon!

My gall bladder is in a jar someplace, and if the docs had wanted to remove it using a rusty butter knife and without anesthetic, I would have agreed to its removal on those conditions.
Iron Duke #1471997.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 9th, 2010, 2:36 am

I had home made macaroni and cheese tonight as I was looking for something that wouldn't bother my stomach too much. It was delicious.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 9th, 2010, 6:25 am

The wifey and I got a date this weekend. The boys were at camp Ergenbright, where they stay with Erica's parents for the week, and my dad watched Katie, so we...were...FREE! We went to this place she's been wanting to try called The Melting Pot and had fondue. It was pretty good. You get a cheese course, a salad, then a main course, and a chocolate course (dessert). Everything but the salad was cooked in a little pot on our table. I never did quite get the point of paying big money to cook your own food (like at many Korean BBQ places), but it was fun. Anybody else been to a Melting Pot?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » August 9th, 2010, 8:24 am

bjornolf wrote:The wifey and I got a date this weekend. The boys were at camp Ergenbright, where they stay with Erica's parents for the week, and my dad watched Katie, so we...were...FREE! We went to this place she's been wanting to try called The Melting Pot and had fondue. It was pretty good. You get a cheese course, a salad, then a main course, and a chocolate course (dessert). Everything but the salad was cooked in a little pot on our table. I never did quite get the point of paying big money to cook your own food (like at many Korean BBQ places), but it was fun. Anybody else been to a Melting Pot?

@};-
Yeah the Melting Pot is one of the better chains. I'm down for fondue.

There are a few "DIY" style restaurants that I would like to try. One, whose name I cannot remember, brings out small cuts of beef, fish, pork, veggies and sauce bases along with a giant, hot, salt stone. You grill the pieces of meat directly on the stone. That sounds awesome. Then there's the Strip Joint (right next to Dick's Last Resort) in San Diego. They bring high quality meats and veggies to your table and you grill it yourself.

For me, the idea is pretty awesome because I get access to great quality ingredients, get out of the house, and don't have to clean up after myself when I cook!
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2010, 8:30 am

bjornolf wrote:The wifey and I got a date this weekend. The boys were at camp Ergenbright, where they stay with Erica's parents for the week, and my dad watched Katie, so we...were...FREE! We went to this place she's been wanting to try called The Melting Pot and had fondue. It was pretty good. You get a cheese course, a salad, then a main course, and a chocolate course (dessert). Everything but the salad was cooked in a little pot on our table. I never did quite get the point of paying big money to cook your own food (like at many Korean BBQ places), but it was fun. Anybody else been to a Melting Pot?

@};-
Yes... we had a date there earlier this year (they also sent us in the mail some massive coupon). Nice. A bit pricey for us, but nice. A very nice date.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » August 9th, 2010, 8:33 am

We've been going to the Melting Pot for all of our big dinners out for the last ten years - though less frequently since we had Katie. We love it. I love that it takes 2.5-3 hrs to have the entire meal. It's great for conversation. You have to talk while you wait for your pieces to cook. I always hate going to a restaurant, and then once the food comes out everyone just puts their face in it and scarfs it down.

Another great DIY restaurant are Korean BBQs. I've been to one in NJ near my parents house. They bring out the raw meat, much of it marinated, like bulgogi, and you cook it on the little charcoal grill right at the table. It's delicious.
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 9th, 2010, 9:39 am

DukeUsul wrote:Another great DIY restaurant are Korean BBQs. I've been to one in NJ near my parents house. They bring out the raw meat, much of it marinated, like bulgogi, and you cook it on the little charcoal grill right at the table. It's delicious.
When I was schlepping to San Diego all the time we'd always try to hit the Korean BBQ place by the office out there. Ymmmm. Good stuff!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » August 9th, 2010, 4:34 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

My gall bladder is in a jar someplace, and if the docs had wanted to remove it using a rusty butter knife and without anesthetic, I would have agreed to its removal on those conditions.
Thanks! If it doesn't get better soon, I'll haul myself to a doc. But rt now, watching my food seems to keep things manageable. Given that I already eat gluten free, having to watch even closer is pretty darn annoying :Boo: --and during prime grilling season! HOWEVER, I would definitely take being annoyed over begging a doctor to cut the thing out with a rusty butter knife and a slug of whiskey as anesthetic. YIKES! :twitch: -- you were in pain. I assume you were right as rain afterwards?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 9th, 2010, 4:57 pm

bluebutton wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

Thanks! If it doesn't get better soon, I'll haul myself to a doc. But rt now, watching my food seems to keep things manageable. Given that I already eat gluten free, having to watch even closer is pretty darn annoying :Boo: --and during prime grilling season! HOWEVER, I would definitely take being annoyed over begging a doctor to cut the thing out with a rusty butter knife and a slug of whiskey as anesthetic. YIKES! :twitch: -- you were in pain. I assume you were right as rain afterwards?
Yep. They had to remove my bile duct and resect(?) some intestines, too, but after that, I was good to go.

I hope you can keep things under control with diet. Doctors are expensive!
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 9th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Back to the topic at hand. Chicken marinated in Yoshida sauce (a teriyaki) and grilled, over a large plate of salad. Glass of white wine. Just now, a Weight Watchers chocolate brownie a la mode dessert.
Iron Duke #1471997.