The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Lavabe » July 13th, 2009, 9:03 am

I will first work out the recipe, but so far, the BEST dish I have had in the field just took place yesterday in the home of this farming couple I have known these last 20 years. It was: Poisson au Coco (Fish in coconut sauce). The key ingredient was the fish: barracuda.

OKAY, when I get back to the states, is there anywhere I can get barracuda? I MUST try this recipe.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:I will first work out the recipe, but so far, the BEST dish I have had in the field just took place yesterday in the home of this farming couple I have known these last 20 years. It was: Poisson au Coco (Fish in coconut sauce). The key ingredient was the fish: barracuda.

OKAY, when I get back to the states, is there anywhere I can get barracuda? I MUST try this recipe.
Cheers,
Lavabe
would it work with swordfish or tuna? :roll:

How about a Haddock?

What do you take for a haddock? :roll: :oops:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 13th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Chicken Parmesan last night, baked chicken parm sammiches tonight. Chicken Parm is one of those things that might truly be better the day after.
Have I posted that recipe yet?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 13th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Well, a search reveals that I have not posted it. So here it is. As usual, the proportions, etc. are subject to improvisation.

-2 lbs. (or so) boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or tenderloins)
-breadcrumbs (whatever flavor you prefer; the "Italian blend" is particularly appropriate
-16-24 oz. tomato sauce (depending on how much chicken you have and how saucy you want your dish to be)
-8 oz. mozzarella cheese (or, again, "Italian blend")
-12 oz. crumbled/shredded Parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup oregano
-1/4 cup basil
-2 eggs
-6-8 oz. milk
-several cloves garlic, minced
-olive/other cooking oil

*OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup rosemary or other seasoning. You can also substitute an "Italian spice blend" for the above seasonings.

Whisk the milk and eggs together in a bowl and set aside. Mix breadcrumbs, seasoning, and half the Parmesan together on a plate (sorry I don't really know exactly how much breadcrumbs to tell you to use...do it by feel and try to make the cheese and crumbs be in roughly 1-to-1 proportions). Then heat oil and garlic on medium-high heat in a large skillet.
Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound thin, to about 1/2 inch thick. Dip in milk/egg mixture, then dredge in breading mixture. Fry on each side 3-4 minutes, until browned.
Transfer browned chicken pieces to a baking dish. Top with tomato sauce, remaining Parmesan, and mozzarella. If your dish is small enough that you need to layer, top each layer with sauce and cheese.
Bake 25-35 minutes at 350 (shorter for tenderloins, longer for breasts).
The original recipe calls for this to be served over pasta, but I almost never eat it that way.
The next day, get a good big piece of crusty bread, cut chicken into bite-size pieces, top with a little more sauce and/or cheese, and bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes.
Yum.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 13th, 2009, 9:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I will first work out the recipe, but so far, the BEST dish I have had in the field just took place yesterday in the home of this farming couple I have known these last 20 years. It was: Poisson au Coco (Fish in coconut sauce). The key ingredient was the fish: barracuda.

Cheers,
Lavabe

How about a Haddock?

I usually take two aspirin and call you. :ymblushing:

I would not think tuna. The barracuda is a white fish, and it was boiled in the coconut milk. I think of swordfish as being too delicate a fish for a long boil. Same with halibut. Or am I just plain wrong. Do these fish hold up well under a 20-30 minute boil? Mahi-mahi maybe?
Thanks,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 13th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Cheers,
Lavabe

How about a Haddock?

I would not think tuna. The barracuda is a white fish, and it was boiled in the coconut milk. I think of swordfish as being too delicate a fish for a long boil. Same with halibut. Or am I just plain wrong. Do these fish hold up well under a 20-30 minute boil? Mahi-mahi maybe?
Thanks,
Lavabe
Swordfish is a pretty meaty fish. I'd think it'd do fine in the boil (although I'm willing to bet this is really more of a simmer).
I'm really surprised to hear you rave about barracuda. I've always been told it is decidedly not an enjoyable food fish. I'd love to try this dish.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 13th, 2009, 9:22 pm

This thread just got viewed for the 1,000th time.
devil84
I don't know what PWing is.

Bojangle's Chicken (sort of)

Post by devil84 » July 13th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I really like using recipes as a list of suggestions, particularly when I’m making “copy cat” recipes. I also like making unusual recipes (unusual at least, for my family). So when the chicken went on sale last week, I bought a bunch. I had wanted to try buttermilk brined chicken, so into the baggie went the chicken pieces with enough buttermilk to cover. Well, actually, it wasn’t buttermilk – it was 1% milk with a splash of vinegar per cup as a substitute. But anyway, I brined it and THEN set off to find a suitable recipe.

While it was brining, I found “the” recipe for Bojangle’s chicken. OK, so it's probably a weak clone. But it sounded good, AND it starts with brining the chicken in buttermilk. Had I found this recipe before I started brining it, I would have added some of the spices or some Tabasco to the brine mixture, which is a tip I found on some Internet recipe sites (and a combination of what TNTDevil’s and Wilson’s prep methods). Will try that next time.

For the dry breading (coats about 9 medium thighs):
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of cayenne
2 teaspoons of paprika
.5 teaspoon of Garlic Salt
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoon of white pepper

For the wet dip (about twice as much as needed for 9 thighs):
1 cup of Buttermilk
3 eggs

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to try a “healthy” version of this. OK, so I really didn’t want to stand there and fry it all, either. So I oven baked it. To oven bake it and get it crispy on all sides, bake it on a cooling rack. All of mine were appropriated for various craft activities, so I improvised by making “ropes” out of aluminum foil – placed the ropes parallel on the cookie sheet and the chicken can rest on two ropes instead of simmering in its own juices and getting mushy on the bottom.

Place the chicken pieces on the foil lined sheet with the rack or ropes. Spray the top with a little spray oil (it’ll brown up nicer), then pop it into a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until the breading is really crisp. If you are patient enough, it will crisp up just like fried (emphasis on the “patient enough” part!). And you can think that it has fewer calories because it’s not fried (I think it does have fewer calories, but it still isn’t health food!). You don’t have to worry about oil splatters (and burns), the house smelling like fried chicken for a week, or dealing with recycling lots of cooking oil, only a little chicken fat. Or you can g’head and fry it, too, in which case of the previous chicken frying comments by Wilson, TNTDevil, et al, apply, too.

This turned out to be a close approximation of Bojangle’s. Nicely juicy, not quite as spicy, but close enough that my hubby and son want me to continue tweaking the recipe. If you try it, post back your changes.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 13th, 2009, 10:01 pm

wilson wrote: Swordfish is a pretty meaty fish. I'd think it'd do fine in the boil (although I'm willing to bet this is really more of a simmer).
I'm really surprised to hear you rave about barracuda. I've always been told it is decidedly not an enjoyable food fish. I'd love to try this dish.
Part of the deal with this barracuda was that it was not a full grown adult. Even if it was an adult, the boiling in coconut milk for like 20-30 minutes (from what I could tell) not only breaks down some of the nastiness that you hint at, but imparts a more creamy texture to the meat. It flaked beautifully. One of the keys to cooking with coconut (which is common in this region of Madagascar) is that when you boil with it, add in either a little saffron or curry, depending on your tastes. This was boiled with saffron (it's grown in the region). Combined with either curry or saffron, I think ANY meaty fish would work.

FWIW, the second best dish of this trip was the "greens" au coco. The local greens (a mix of mild greens and those with a little bite to them) chopped finely, boiled 5 minutes or so in a coconut milk (boiled before for about 20 minutes) and curry or saffron, and with a little previously grilled beef.

Again, normally I'd wait to perfect them at home in the US to work out the proportions and ingredient differences, but some very interesting takes on ingredients that don't normally get used as much.

Cheers,
Lavabe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 13th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Lavabe wrote:... I think of swordfish as being too delicate a fish for a long boil. Same with halibut. Or am I just plain wrong. Do these fish hold up well under a 20-30 minute boil? Mahi-mahi maybe?
Thanks,
Lavabe
A young Snapper, perhaps?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2009, 11:07 pm

wilson wrote:Well, a search reveals that I have not posted it. So here it is. As usual, the proportions, etc. are subject to improvisation.

-2 lbs. (or so) boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or tenderloins)
-breadcrumbs (whatever flavor you prefer; the "Italian blend" is particularly appropriate
-16-24 oz. tomato sauce (depending on how much chicken you have and how saucy you want your dish to be)
-8 oz. mozzarella cheese (or, again, "Italian blend")
-12 oz. crumbled/shredded Parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup oregano
-1/4 cup basil
-2 eggs
-6-8 oz. milk
-several cloves garlic, minced
-olive/other cooking oil

*OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup rosemary or other seasoning. You can also substitute an "Italian spice blend" for the above seasonings.

Whisk the milk and eggs together in a bowl and set aside. Mix breadcrumbs, seasoning, and half the Parmesan together on a plate (sorry I don't really know exactly how much breadcrumbs to tell you to use...do it by feel and try to make the cheese and crumbs be in roughly 1-to-1 proportions). Then heat oil and garlic on medium-high heat in a large skillet.
Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound thin, to about 1/2 inch thick. Dip in milk/egg mixture, then dredge in breading mixture. Fry on each side 3-4 minutes, until browned.
Transfer browned chicken pieces to a baking dish. Top with tomato sauce, remaining Parmesan, and mozzarella. If your dish is small enough that you need to layer, top each layer with sauce and cheese.
Bake 25-35 minutes at 350 (shorter for tenderloins, longer for breasts).
The original recipe calls for this to be served over pasta, but I almost never eat it that way.
The next day, get a good big piece of crusty bread, cut chicken into bite-size pieces, top with a little more sauce and/or cheese, and bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes.
Yum.
No beer with this one :( . I'd have a glass of chianti or probably a simple red table wine :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Cheers,
Lavabe

How about a Haddock?

Thanks,
Lavabe
1. That's the answer I was looking for and expected from you. :D :))
2. I'm not the chef so I'll defer on those choices. Tuna is fairly firm as is halibut, I think.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Bojangle's Chicken (sort of)

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 13th, 2009, 11:24 pm

devil84 wrote: So when the chicken went on sale last week, I bought a bunch.
I do this alot if I see good deals on meat. I wish I had a chest freezer. I figure we'll eat it one day, and might as well save $ in the long run.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 13th, 2009, 11:37 pm

wilson wrote: Swordfish is a pretty meaty fish.
Swordfish eats like steak, which is why I tried it the first time I did. I think my mother recommended it to me. I like mine grilled, with a nice citrus marinade (OJ, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and a dash of garlic).
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devil84

Re: Bojangle's Chicken (sort of)

Post by devil84 » July 14th, 2009, 1:05 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devil84 wrote: So when the chicken went on sale last week, I bought a bunch.
I do this alot if I see good deals on meat. I wish I had a chest freezer. I figure we'll eat it one day, and might as well save $ in the long run.
I love my chest freezer! Whenever there's a buy one get one free sale, I'll always freeze some. It's paid for itself many times over. (The down side is that it can be filled with the BOGO ice cream sales, too -- and Klondike is currently on sale! So dangerous...)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 14th, 2009, 7:15 am

captmojo wrote:A young Snapper, perhaps?
As long as it's not of the whipper variety, eh? ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 14th, 2009, 11:37 am

bjornolf wrote:

%%-
Someone call the cods on bjornolf for illegal PW-ing. :ymdevil:

OKAY, that's THREE Kip Adotta "Wet Dream" references in the recipe thread. =)) =)) :)) :)) :ymparty: :ymparty:

Let's stay focused on food here!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 14th, 2009, 2:19 pm

Lavabe wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-
Someone call the cods on bjornolf for illegal PW-ing. :ymdevil:

OKAY, that's THREE Kip Adotta "Wet Dream" references in the recipe thread. =)) =)) :)) :)) :ymparty: :ymparty:

Let's stay focused on food here!
You know, I haven't heard that song in YEARS. My first response to your post was "who the hell is Kip Adotta?" I had to look it up on you tube and watch it to even remember.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » July 14th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Lavabe wrote: Part of the deal with this barracuda was that it was not a full grown adult. Even if it was an adult, the boiling in coconut milk for like 20-30 minutes (from what I could tell) not only breaks down some of the nastiness that you hint at, but imparts a more creamy texture to the meat. It flaked beautifully. One of the keys to cooking with coconut (which is common in this region of Madagascar) is that when you boil with it, add in either a little saffron or curry, depending on your tastes. This was boiled with saffron (it's grown in the region). Combined with either curry or saffron, I think ANY meaty fish would work.

FWIW, the second best dish of this trip was the "greens" au coco. The local greens (a mix of mild greens and those with a little bite to them) chopped finely, boiled 5 minutes or so in a coconut milk (boiled before for about 20 minutes) and curry or saffron, and with a little previously grilled beef.

Again, normally I'd wait to perfect them at home in the US to work out the proportions and ingredient differences, but some very interesting takes on ingredients that don't normally get used as much.

Cheers,
Lavabe
I've eaten barracuda in the Bahamas and, at least in the Caribbean, it has to be a young fish in order to be eaten. Because barracuda feed on fish that contain toxins, and the toxins accumulate as the barracuda age, older fish can make you sick with ciguatera.

I would say they are most similar to dorado, although a bit bonier.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 14th, 2009, 11:57 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Part of the deal with this barracuda was that it was not a full grown adult. Even if it was an adult, the boiling in coconut milk for like 20-30 minutes (from what I could tell) not only breaks down some of the nastiness that you hint at, but imparts a more creamy texture to the meat.
I've eaten barracuda in the Bahamas and, at least in the Caribbean, it has to be a young fish in order to be eaten. Because barracuda feed on fish that contain toxins, and the toxins accumulate as the barracuda age, older fish can make you sick with ciguatera.

I would say they are most similar to dorado, although a bit bonier.
Note to self: DON'T EAT ADULT BARRACUDA.
Addendum to previous post: DON'T EAT ADULT BARRACUDA.
Thanks for the tip, rmd.

Not that I am going to try it, but do the means of cooking the fish and the source of the fish affect the toxicity of the adult fish?

Happy to be alive and eating YOUNG barracuda,
Lavabe