Atlanta Braves 2010 Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Atlanta Braves 2010 Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2010, 8:11 am

I read this morning that the Braves blew a 10-1 lead and lost. Wow...what a choke job. L-)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 26th, 2010, 8:25 am

Phillies lost as well. :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2010, 8:26 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I read this morning that the Braves blew a 10-1 lead and lost. Wow...what a choke job. L-)
Jim Sumner put that on the Braves thread OY last PM. What a disaster that must have been. Phortunately, the Phils phloundered 3 games to the lowly Rastros so no ground gained or lost for the Braves. I heard Farnsworthless pitched, too. I'll check the BS (that's Box Score, though the othe BS works just as well in this case) later to see if he was part of the collapse.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 26th, 2010, 8:28 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I read this morning that the Braves blew a 10-1 lead and lost. Wow...what a choke job. L-)
Jim Sumner put that on the Braves thread OY last PM. What a disaster that must have been. Phortunately, the Phils phloundered 3 games to the lowly Rastros so no ground gained or lost for the Braves. I heard Farnsworthless pitched, too. I'll check the BS (that's Box Score, though the othe BS works just as well in this case) later to see if he was part of the collapse.
He was instrumental to the collapse. #-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 26th, 2010, 8:29 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
He was instrumental to the collapse. At least, the final straw. #-o
WHAT is up with Wagner? The guy goes on the DL every year at about this time. Is that what happened?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2010, 11:02 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
He was instrumental to the collapse. #-o
Just looked at the box score and it looks like it was a total team collapse.
1. Cox left Jurrens in too long.
2. Venters was horrible, picking up the loss.
3. Fartsworth didn't get charged with any runs and he did get someone out but he must have let a couple inherited runners score so the Rockies could win.
4. The Braves bats totally disappeared in the last 6 innings.

Did not read anything about Wagner. Update anyone?

:puke-huge:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2010, 11:48 am

devildeac wrote: Did not read anything about Wagner. Update anyone?
I'm fine. I didn't even know the Braves were playing.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2010, 12:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: Did not read anything about Wagner. Update anyone?
I'm fine. I didn't even know the Braves were playing.
Not you, knucklehead. Billy Wagner, the Braves "closer" this season. Sheesh.

:)) =))
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » August 26th, 2010, 1:49 pm

I thought the Braves might be in trouble when the Braves announcers were so gleefully celebrating victory in the 4th and making innocent fun of the Rockies and how they were playing. As Yogi Bear said, "It ain't over 'til it's over!" I think a famous Yankees catcher may have said that too.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 29th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Oh.......my..........GOD!

Braves, down 6-1 all game, score three in the eighth and three more in the ninth (the last on a solo shot with two outs by Brian McCann that hit the top off the wall and needed instant replay to confirm) to WIN THE GAME!

With apologies to the '69 Mets, this team is "Amazin'!"

-EarlJam
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2010, 8:51 pm

EarlJam wrote:Oh.......my..........GOD!

Braves, down 6-1 all game, score three in the eighth and three more in the ninth (the last on a solo shot with two outs by Brian McCann that hit the top off the wall and needed instant replay to confirm) to WIN THE GAME!

-EarlJam
Just watched the MLB highlights/ending. Amazing. That's why replay is needed, in some form or another, with either the umps and/or managers choosing in the NFL/college FB manner. Glad big, blind Bob Davidson was not involved. Or was he?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2010, 8:54 pm

EarlJam wrote:Oh.......my..........GOD!

-EarlJam
Another craptastic showing by Lowe. Hopefully, Venters righted his ship.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 30th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Braves win, 9-3. Infante's average up to .343 with 2 hits and a BB for 5 plate appearances, Heyward with 4 hits, Farnsworth doesn't suck and Wagner (Billy, not Chris :D ) strikes out Francouer to end the game.
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » August 30th, 2010, 11:40 pm

devildeac wrote:Braves win, 9-3. Infante's average up to .343 with 2 hits and a BB for 5 plate appearances, Heyward with 4 hits, Farnsworth doesn't suck and Wagner (Billy, not Chris :D ) strikes out Francouer to end the game.
Heyward's run (as in, the play in which he tagged home plate) was incredible. He made a great play to beat a really fine play.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 31st, 2010, 9:52 am

Johnboy wrote:
devildeac wrote:Braves win, 9-3. Infante's average up to .343 with 2 hits and a BB for 5 plate appearances, Heyward with 4 hits, Farnsworth doesn't suck and Wagner (Billy, not Chris :D ) strikes out Francouer to end the game.
Heyward's run (as in, the play in which he tagged home plate) was incredible. He made a great play to beat a really fine play.
On some nights, Chris Wagner is a better fit than Billy. (and I bet he's better at putting a grill together, too!)

I'm curious about another play, early on. Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of baseball this year, at least not until Buck Showalter took over my beloved O's. But I do catch an occasional Braves game, and last night, when Brian McCann was at bat, the Mutts put the shift on, with 3 infielders to the first base side, and he bunted! Bunted! down the third base line, for an easy single.

Why don't more hitters do this? I see the shift go on, and big macho lefty pull hitter hits a grounder right to an infielder. Is it testosterone? Is it stupidity? It seems to me that McCann's play was really smart, and I don't know why more people do it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2010, 11:35 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Johnboy wrote:
On some nights, Chris Wagner is a better fit than Billy. (and I bet he's better at putting a grill together, too!)

I'm curious about another play, early on. Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of baseball this year, at least not until Buck Showalter took over my beloved O's. But I do catch an occasional Braves game, and last night, when Brian McCann was at bat, the Mutts put the shift on, with 3 infielders to the first base side, and he bunted! Bunted! down the third base line, for an easy single.

Why don't more hitters do this? I see the shift go on, and big macho lefty pull hitter hits a grounder right to an infielder. Is it testosterone? Is it stupidity? It seems to me that McCann's play was really smart, and I don't know why more people do it.
Some of the players may not have good bunting skills. But, you are correct. It would be a great play to "lay one down" on the 3rd base side of the IF.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2010, 11:37 am

Johnboy wrote:
I also read that he scored from 1st on a single. That's a great play, too.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 31st, 2010, 11:38 am

devildeac wrote:
Johnboy wrote:
Yes, he did. It was a full count and two outs, so he was running when the pitch was thrown, but it was still quite impressive.
Iron Duke #1471997.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » August 31st, 2010, 11:41 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Yes, he did. It was a full count and two outs, so he was running when the pitch was thrown, but it was still quite impressive.
Brian McCann has emerged as one of the Braves likable leaders. He's so clutch, leading by example to do so many of the right things. Add to that is extreme likability as a person (the players are always givnig him a hard time one way or another and he takes it in stride) and you just have, well, Brian McCann. What a guy! What a GUY!

-EarlJam
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy » August 31st, 2010, 1:55 pm

devildeac wrote:
Johnboy wrote:
That was the play I was talking about. He hauled ass all the way around the bases, and it looked like he was going to be tagged out at the plate. The fielder (Jeff Francoeur) made a good throw, the catcher was in position, caught the ball and tagged Heyward's hand just AFTER it touched the plate (bangbang).
Read about it here.
Money quote:
The Braves stretched the lead with three runs off Manny Acosta in the sixth. Heyward’s single drove in Rick Ankiel. Heyward scored from first on a headfirst slide across home plate on Prado’s two-run single. Omar Infante, who walked, also scored on Prado’s hit.

Heyward was running on the pitch. Still, Cox was amazed Heyward scored from first, beating Jeff Francoeur’s throw from right-center field which bounced through the infield.

“Unbelievable,” Cox said. “He can do things on the bases. His instincts are so great.”

When asked how often he has seen a player score from first on a single, Cox said “almost never.”
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91