Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » May 2nd, 2023, 6:32 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 5:15 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 9:43 pm
I fully expect a large chunk of the night to be him talking about how 2020 was stolen from him. He's talked more about 2020 than he has about 2024.
And while I think he can potentially win the Republican nomination doing that (a sad state of affairs, but there you go), I don't think he's going to win back the presidency with that approach. I also think it's quite possible that Trump's big lead even among Republicans collapses well before the nomination as he gets back in the news and people realize they are tired of his shtick.
I am anticipating at least two more indictments before Labor Day, minimum.that may not matter to the base, but that’s a big problem for anyone outside the cult.

Trump has two good chances to win though. First, a strong independent (alike the No Labels group) that turns the Biden-Trump match into a pure question of who turns out the base best (I think Trump has shown big strength here). Second, a health scare with an 80-year-old Democratic candidate. Which is why, whether you like the job Biden has done or not, I wish he would step aside.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 2nd, 2023, 10:38 pm

OPK wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 6:32 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
I fully expect a large chunk of the night to be him talking about how 2020 was stolen from him. He's talked more about 2020 than he has about 2024.
And while I think he can potentially win the Republican nomination doing that (a sad state of affairs, but there you go), I don't think he's going to win back the presidency with that approach. I also think it's quite possible that Trump's big lead even among Republicans collapses well before the nomination as he gets back in the news and people realize they are tired of his shtick.
I am anticipating at least two more indictments before Labor Day, minimum.that may not matter to the base, but that’s a big problem for anyone outside the cult.

Trump has two good chances to win though. First, a strong independent (alike the No Labels group) that turns the Biden-Trump match into a pure question of who turns out the base best (I think Trump has shown big strength here). Second, a health scare with an 80-year-old Democratic candidate. Which is why, whether you like the job Biden has done or not, I wish he would step aside.
The ideal situation was for Harris to do really well as VP and Biden to step aside and have her run in 2024. But that has not happened.

I get really frustrated that there is so much focus on Biden's age and health and virtually none on Trump. Trump is only slightly younger and obese. My initial thought was that he is at high risk of a heart attack but I'm not totally clear if he has a heart. If he gets the nomination, his VP choice should also be heavily scrutinized. It will be fascinating to see what happens to his cultish followers if/when he goes away.

I am a broken record but I also wish some of these other cases against him would hurry up. I am all for process and getting it right but this is truly ridiculous. The process itself is taking forever and he will take further steps to slow things down.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » May 2nd, 2023, 10:40 pm

OPK wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 6:32 pm
Phredd3 wrote:

I agree with that last part. It would certainly make me more comfortable for the Dems to be able to back a candidate who isn't a major health risk. And I do like the job he's done, by and large. He's good at the job. But he really should be setting someone else up, not trying to take a second term.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 3rd, 2023, 9:04 am

You can lead in the polls all day long, but it's hard to win without the money. Trump has one less billionaire in his pocket this cycle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 8644&ei=20
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 3rd, 2023, 10:54 pm

Ted Cruz has an opponent in Colin Allred.

Look him up and tell me he's not a vampire. I've never seen canines on a human that long. (Of course Ted Cruz is a vampire too, but not literally.)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 9th, 2023, 8:21 pm

Not surprising, but popcorn worthy all the same.
Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against serial fabulist Rep. George Santos (R-NY), according to CNN.

Three sources familiar with the matter told the network that Santos is likely to appear in federal court in New York on Wednesday for charges that remained under seal on Tuesday.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/feds-file-cr ... 38931.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 9th, 2023, 9:32 pm

May 9th, 2023, 8:21 pm
Not surprising, but popcorn worthy all the same.
Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against serial fabulist Rep. George Santos (R-NY), according to CNN.

Three sources familiar with the matter told the network that Santos is likely to appear in federal court in New York on Wednesday for charges that remained under seal on Tuesday.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/feds-file-cr ... 38931.html
Hopefully the Santos trial will move more quickly than these never ending Trump trials.

And meanwhile, Trump was found guilty of sexual abuse but not rape. And fined $5 million, though he will appeal. It is too bad I had jury duty last year because as a NY resident it seems like there are pretty good odds that I could be put on a jury involving a Republican politician (or former politician).

https://www.reuters.com/legal/jurors-se ... 023-05-09/
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2023, 10:04 am

Well he's fucked.
The long trail of lies has finally caught up with Rep. George Santos, who was indicted on Wednesday for enriching himself by defrauding political donors, cheating the federal government to get COVID relief funds, and faking House disclosure forms.

The Justice Department unsealed a 13-count indictment Tuesday morning that detailed the variety of ways Santos used his brief political rise to dupe taxpayers and donors—an eagerly awaited law enforcement action that followed months of investigative news reports about his wide ranging fraudster lifestyle.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-santo ... 06534.html

Of course McCarthy won't be doing anything, because having someone with Santos' noble stature as a sitting member of the House GOP looks really good.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2023, 6:46 pm

I'm not going to be able to control my train wreck instincts, so will likely be tuning in to CNN tonight.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 10th, 2023, 8:10 pm

May 10th, 2023, 6:46 pm
I'm not going to be able to control my train wreck instincts, so will likely be tuning in to CNN tonight.
As with any time he speaks publicly, I wish he got shocked every time he lied. Though he lives in a parallel universe where he doesn't think he is lying, so I'm not sure how that will work.

Rather than watching Trump, I will watch the Knicks. Let us know how it goes!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2023, 8:42 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 10th, 2023, 8:10 pm
May 10th, 2023, 6:46 pm
As with any time he speaks publicly, I wish he got shocked every time he lied. Though he lives in a parallel universe where he doesn't think he is lying, so I'm not sure how that will work.

Rather than watching Trump, I will watch the Knicks. Let us know how it goes!
That would be a self induced public execution.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2023, 8:48 pm

This poor moderator is doing the best she can. At least she is fact checking him, but at this pace she's gonna go hoarse.

The gallery is filled with cultists.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2023, 11:10 pm

My number one take away from tonight's shit show was that federal prosecutors recorded lots of tape tonight.

Kaitlin Collins -- "Did you share classified information with others?"
Donald Trump -- "Not really"

Every prosecutor everywhere -- "Save that"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 18th, 2023, 9:50 am

HA! There's a chance that BIden might lose the New Hampshire primary. Not because he is truly beaten, but because his name isn't on the ballot.
Top Democrats are scrambling for ways to avoid a catastrophe in New Hampshire in which Joe Biden may not appear on the primary ballot, ceding the first unofficial contest of 2024 to a fringe candidate.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-ra ... 00575.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 18th, 2023, 11:30 am

May 18th, 2023, 9:50 am
HA! There's a chance that BIden might lose the New Hampshire primary. Not because he is truly beaten, but because his name isn't on the ballot.
Top Democrats are scrambling for ways to avoid a catastrophe in New Hampshire in which Joe Biden may not appear on the primary ballot, ceding the first unofficial contest of 2024 to a fringe candidate.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-ra ... 00575.html
New Hamsterite's are a stubborn bunch. My concern would be pissing off enough NH Dems that they swing over and vote Republican in the general.

I never understood them going first, but I am OK rolling with it. If I recall, Iowa is usually second, and that is a bigger issue for me. The states that should have the most influence are those that are actually going to matter in the general election. I would also like to see them roll out ranked-choice for all of the primaries, but I'm not holding my breath...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 19th, 2023, 5:09 pm

SC Senator Tim Scott enters the race.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tim-scott-la ... 37648.html

I'm not sure he can even win the SC primary.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 19th, 2023, 8:34 pm

May 19th, 2023, 5:09 pm
SC Senator Tim Scott enters the race.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tim-scott-la ... 37648.html

I'm not sure he can even win the SC primary.
The more candidates in the race, the better Trump's chances of victory.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 23rd, 2023, 3:20 pm

Ron & Elon, collectively pissing off Trump on his old favorite stomping ground.
Ron DeSantis will make his 2024 presidential candidacy announcement during a Twitter Spaces discussion with Elon Musk, multiple outlets have reported.

The announcement will reportedly take place Wednesday evening, with tech investor David Sacks acting as moderator for the discussion.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/des ... 14734.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 25th, 2023, 10:23 am

DeSantis' launch went as about as disastrously as a high level candidate could possibly kick off. The blowback is crazy, and Trump of course is having a field day with it.

It's never good to have your campaign begin in such a way that it will be written about in history books for the wrong reasons.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 25th, 2023, 10:56 am

May 25th, 2023, 10:23 am
DeSantis' launch went as about as disastrously as a high level candidate could possibly kick off. The blowback is crazy, and Trump of course is having a field day with it.

It's never good to have your campaign begin in such a way that it will be written about in history books for the wrong reasons.
I want to hit the fast forward button and see the two of them in a room going mano a mano. I despise them both but I think Trump will eat him for lunch. With ketchup, obviously.