Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2010, 8:38 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote: I am not sure where to begin this review but I promise it will be short after searching out this review and re-reading it. I don't have much to add to this thorough description. One of the most unique brews I have ever tasted. Sour/tart-you bet. From the brett yeasts. Fruity-got that, too, with hints of dark berries and currants. It had a bit less body than a cab, more like the zin aroma and flavors from the aging in the wine barrels. This was a trader from rmd last month and, after reading about his protectionism of his remaining stash, I am highly honored to have received a bottle of this now 14 month old ale ^:)^ ^:)^ . Can't wait to hear what he thinks about it 6-12 months from now ;) :D . I gotta make more trips to Colorado :D . I am still in the celebratory mood almost 2 weeks later so this was another outstanding brew to enjoy in the process. :Clap: :Clap:

Many thanks again for sharing.
Kind of weird that you posted this tonight. I found a shop this week with a large amount of Brabant for sale (owner told me he just put it back out this week.) After buying a few bottles, I figured I could have a bottle tonight, and so I did. I still have 3 remaining, and was able to pick up a few bottles of Avery's newest, Depuceleuse, a sour cherry wild ale.

The black pepper has backed off in the 14 months since bottling, but the rest is the same. it's still a musty, barnyardy, blackberry ale. Glad you enoyed it DD! :D
Saving one of those for me for next year?

:whistle: :whistle:

Guess I'll have to start my trading 6er soon.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 19th, 2010, 9:13 am

rockymtn devil wrote: The black pepper has backed off in the 14 months since bottling, but the rest is the same. it's still a musty, barnyardy, blackberry ale. Glad you enoyed it DD! :D
I have two yeasts that the peppery taste is a quality of. I'm not sure what beer I will be brewing next, but I will be using White Labs Saison (liquid yeast). I've used it before, but it was long ago and I don't remember how the brew turned out. White Labs description is that it "produces earthy, peppery, and spicy notes. Slightly sweet." The pepper was pretty prominant, it is fun to experiment with.
I'm going to brew it sometime this week.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 20th, 2010, 8:01 pm

devildeac wrote:Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout-Bluegrass Brewing Company-Not everything that comes outta kin-tucky is bad. I had this about 18 months ago during our 1st visit to La Casa Lavabe and liked it so much, he brought one to a Brunchgate as a trader and I bought another 4 pack on Friday. This makes all the grades well. A fine stout, nearly black with a foamy tan head. Bitter? Yep, but just mildly so from tons of roasted dark malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60. Dark chocolate flavor and aroma? Yesiree. It is oak-aged in old bourbon barrels so there are mild vanilla and woody notes (but no corned beef or pastrami :tease: ). The bourbon nose and taste is subtle and late and I am perfectly fine with that. Serve it about 55-60 degrees so all the aromas and tastes may be savored. Enjoy the whole 12 ounces at 8% ABV, or share it with a friend in a couple snifters as a dessert or night cap. And yes, CB&B, it will be available as a trader or as part of your regular order. ;) :D
MMMMMMMM... :D
This brew is awesome! I might put the bitterness as even less than mild, but I agree with just about everything you've said. Two things popped to mind when I tasted this; the first was a chocolate covered red velvet cake, and then I thought a bit further and decided it is a dead ringer for a cherry covered chocolate cordial in a bottle. In the glass, it a rich black color, but pouring it out of the bottle you can see it is really a deep, deep red, which adds to the "cordial" experience. As the glass approaches your nose, the bourbon notes announce their presence, I'm very impressed by how much the barrels impart themselves on the persona of this brew. This is a beer to savor and enjoy. Muchas gracias devildeac! :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2010, 9:47 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout-Bluegrass Brewing Company-Not everything that comes outta kin-tucky is bad. I had this about 18 months ago during our 1st visit to La Casa Lavabe and liked it so much, he brought one to a Brunchgate as a trader and I bought another 4 pack on Friday. This makes all the grades well. A fine stout, nearly black with a foamy tan head. Bitter? Yep, but just mildly so from tons of roasted dark malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60. Dark chocolate flavor and aroma? Yesiree. It is oak-aged in old bourbon barrels so there are mild vanilla and woody notes (but no corned beef or pastrami :tease: ). The bourbon nose and taste is subtle and late and I am perfectly fine with that. Serve it about 55-60 degrees so all the aromas and tastes may be savored. Enjoy the whole 12 ounces at 8% ABV, or share it with a friend in a couple snifters as a dessert or night cap. And yes, CB&B, it will be available as a trader or as part of your regular order. ;) :D
MMMMMMMM... :D
This brew is awesome! I might put the bitterness as even less than mild, but I agree with just about everything you've said. Two things popped to mind when I tasted this; the first was a chocolate covered red velvet cake, and then I thought a bit further and decided it is a dead ringer for a cherry covered chocolate cordial in a bottle. In the glass, it a rich black color, but pouring it out of the bottle you can see it is really a deep, deep red, which adds to the "cordial" experience. As the glass approaches your nose, the bourbon notes announce their presence, I'm very impressed by how much the barrels impart themselves on the persona of this brew. This is a beer to savor and enjoy. Muchas gracias devildeac! :-BD
We'll be back in kin-tucky in a bit over 4 weeks. Care to place another order?

:-w :whistle:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 20th, 2010, 11:15 pm

devildeac wrote: We'll be back in kin-tucky in a bit over 4 weeks. Care to place another order?
Hell yeah. I'll have had all of my last by then, so I'll know what to reload on and what to skip. (And of course leave some up to entirely new-to-me brews)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 21st, 2010, 7:38 pm

I just found 2 bottles of cider that I brewed 3 years ago. I had no idea I had these two; the only bottle I've saved from then (I thought) is the Grolsch bottle I've got in my cabinet. So since I found 2, I opened one. The recipe was simple, 5 gallons of all natural apple cider (no preservatives, no pasteurization) boiled and then fermented with a packet of champagne yeast.
After 3 years, this has aged awesomely. I was pretty leery, it's a medium ABV brew, probably 7-9 percent. It has so many qualities of champagne, very dry, but pleasantly sweet. The apple gives a great undertone to it. Since I now know that it won't kill me, I'm going to bring the Grolsch bottle to our last brunchgate this year. It will be nice to toast with after we beat the shit out of the heels in Wallace Wade.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2010, 7:43 pm

The Dark Side-Terrapin Brewing Company-Another fascinating offering from these very creative folks. A Belgian imperial stout. Has lots of what you expect with an almost black pour, modest tan head and moderate IBU. I'd guess 60-70 here. What makes this interesting is the use of Belgian yeast which gives it a slightly sour taste and some Belgian golden ale fruitiness. There are fairly prominent notes of licorice and espresso with dark chocolate playing a large role, too. I had 1/2 a bomber at cellar temperature out of a wide mouth glass last PM and savored every sip at 8.5% ABV. Nice for dessert or with a dessert of CCC, a chunk of chocolate pound cake or sliver of flourless chocolate torte. Looking forward to tonight's treat.

Oooh, forgot this:

http://www.terrapinbeer.com/beers/29-Vo ... Dark-Side-
Last edited by devildeac on April 21st, 2010, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2010, 7:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I just found 2 bottles of cider that I brewed 3 years ago. I had no idea I had these two; the only bottle I've saved from then (I thought) is the Grolsch bottle I've got in my cabinet. So since I found 2, I opened one. The recipe was simple, 5 gallons of all natural apple cider (no preservatives, no pasteurization) boiled and then fermented with a packet of champagne yeast.
After 3 years, this has aged awesomely. I was pretty leery, it's a medium ABV brew, probably 7-9 percent. It has so many qualities of champagne, very dry, but pleasantly sweet. The apple gives a great undertone to it. Since I now know that it won't kill me, I'm going to bring the Grolsch bottle to our last brunchgate this year. It will be nice to toast with after we beat the shit out of the heels in Wallace Wade.
Great idea. But you know that if we beat the shit out of the heels, they'll be nothing to take back to chappaheeya after the game except helmets, uniforms and shoes. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 21st, 2010, 7:47 pm

devildeac wrote:The Dark Side-Terrapin Brewing Company-Another fascinating offering from these very creative folks. A Belgian imperial stout. Has lots of what you expect with an almost black pour, modest tan head and moderate IBU. I'd guess 60-70 here. What makes this interesting is the use of Belgian yeast which gives it a slightly sour taste and some Belgian golden ale fruitiness. There are fairly prominent notes of licorice and espresso with dark chocolate playing a large role, too. I had 1/2 a bomber at cellar temperature out of a wide mouth glass last PM and savored every sip at 8.5% ABV. Nice for dessert or with a dessert of CCC, a chunk of chocolate pound cake or sliver of flourless chocolate torte. Looking forward to tonight's treat.
I saved my bottle from a couple months ago. I like the design, and to a Dead head it's meaningful past the beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2010, 8:00 pm

Had this one Sunday night. I'm still celebrating:

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/foundersnew/beer/

Folks, this is amazing. Kentucky Breakfast Stout, or KBS by the folks at Founders. This is nearly pitch black with a modest medium tan head and the coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon will knock you on your arse. My first impression was drinking a shot (or two) of a fine single batch/malt bourbon in a cup of dark roast Jamaican java. Wow. It clocks in at 70 IBU and 11.2% ABV, so it has a nice hop wallop as one would expect from an imperial stout and the booziness of the whiskey, too. Forget having anything else with this goblet/snifter worthy dessert. Pull one out of your cellar, pour, sit in your recliner and savor this nectar over an hour or so some evening. Be prepared to take out a small loan for it however. A 4 pack of these will set you back $23-24 :(( :(( . The remaining 3 should last me a year or four.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » April 21st, 2010, 9:46 pm

devildeac wrote:Had this one Sunday night. I'm still celebrating:

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/foundersnew/beer/

Folks, this is amazing. Kentucky Breakfast Stout, or KBS by the folks at Founders. This is nearly pitch black with a modest medium tan head and the coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon will knock you on your arse. My first impression was drinking a shot (or two) of a fine single batch/malt bourbon in a cup of dark roast Jamaican java. Wow. It clocks in at 70 IBU and 11.2% ABV, so it has a nice hop wallop as one would expect from an imperial stout and the booziness of the whiskey, too. Forget having anything else with this goblet/snifter worthy dessert. Pull one out of your cellar, pour, sit in your recliner and savor this nectar over an hour or so some evening. Be prepared to take out a small loan for it however. A 4 pack of these will set you back $23-24 :(( :(( . The remaining 3 should last me a year or four.
This is such a great beer and a spot on review..I wait patiently each year for its release on the Ides of March. After splurging on a 4 pack last year, I grabbed only a single bottle this year which I intend to put away for awhile..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 21st, 2010, 9:53 pm

Harpoon Crystal Wheat...
It's in their summer sampler, and it's worth the buy. The sampler is cool, it has the standard IPA (very good brew on it's own), the summer lager (as opposed to the winter lager in the winter pack), the UFO heffeweizen (tasty) and the Crystal Wheat.
That's what this brew is about. This is the flavor I was striving for when I brewed my last wheat..I had it and then missed. I fermented with citrus peels, and that was a bad idea..the peels should be in the boil only; the crystal wheat shows your tastebuds why. It lacks a lot on body though..Harpoon missed on making the CW a great beer for that reason. It's really thin, and the flavor suffers for it. Less to taste..simple as that. Great try, almost there..but not quite. It's still worth the buy of a single if you see it, just to see what they are striving for. The direction is right.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 21st, 2010, 10:04 pm

Burton Baton
I'm sipping slowly. Review will follow, but here is my first impression.
Deeeammmmn this is thick! Alcoholic syrup. Eat your pancakes slowly.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 23rd, 2010, 8:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Harpoon Crystal Wheat...
It's in their summer sampler, and it's worth the buy. The sampler is cool, it has the standard IPA (very good brew on it's own), the summer lager (as opposed to the winter lager in the winter pack), the UFO heffeweizen (tasty) and the Crystal Wheat.
That's what this brew is about. This is the flavor I was striving for when I brewed my last wheat..I had it and then missed. I fermented with citrus peels, and that was a bad idea..the peels should be in the boil only; the crystal wheat shows your tastebuds why. It lacks a lot on body though..Harpoon missed on making the CW a great beer for that reason. It's really thin, and the flavor suffers for it. Less to taste..simple as that. Great try, almost there..but not quite. It's still worth the buy of a single if you see it, just to see what they are striving for. The direction is right.
I've had the Heffeweizen. It is tasty but I was put off with the very high amount of particulate swirling around the bottom of the glass. Does it really have to be unfiltered?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2010, 8:18 pm

captmojo wrote: I've had the Heffeweizen. It is tasty but I was put off with the very high amount of particulate swirling around the bottom of the glass. Does it really have to be unfiltered?
That's pretty much a classic quality of a wheat, as well as the haziness. Most brewers recommend you save the last bit, shake it up so it gets back into suspension, then pour it into the glass.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2010, 8:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I picked up 3 traders for dd that I matched for myself, only because I hadn't had them before. The first one for me was New Belgium's Ranger IPA.
Guess what they sell in our Walmart now?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2010, 11:09 pm

devildeac wrote:Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale-Anchor Brewing-Delicious...Lotsa floral hops in the nose and upfront taste but the cloying sweetness of massive amounts of malts rule the day here.
Totally agree..the first thing I noticed was how beautifully sweet this is. Gotta love the heavy body too, it's like sipping a true maple syrup (in consistency). This was a trader and a much appreciated one. I've never had it before and after reading your review I was really looking forward to it. Way tasty.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2010, 12:25 pm

I was sure this had been reviewed, but after a search it seems it's only been mentioned. Arcadia Cereal Killer, a really great barley wine without the the extreme ABV of some I've had lately. (CK checks in at just under 10%). Pours really cloudy, super fruity, tons of flavor. Lots of malts are the flavor source here, low hoppage. Really sweet, they could have called it "Sugared Cereal Killer" The lower ABV I think makes it even more enjoyable, because the alcohol tones don't knock you back as much, and this is pretty low for bitterness; those two qualities really let this ale dance on your tongue. This a fun brew, highly recommended. Thanks much to DD for picking me up a bomber while passing through Kin Tucky. (While it's lower ABV is nice, it's still a sipper!)
Ahh...just took another sip..really really good.
By the way..anyone remember the band "Green Jello"? They had to change their name due to some never known band of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereal_Killer
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Just got a call from dd, he and 8-X are outside Total Wine in Alexandria asking if I wanted to place an order. I told them to call me back when they figure out what they should bring back. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2010, 1:39 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just got a call from dd, he and 8-X are outside Total Wine in Alexandria asking if I wanted to place an order. I told them to call me back when they figure out what they should bring back. :D
Order placed. Mmmmmmm. Surprisingly no Dogfish De 'Extra, World Wide Stout or 120 in stock. Devildeac said that he and bunchofnumbers fingered all of the Dogfish brews, and found nothing. That scared me. :twitch: