LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » February 28th, 2010, 9:51 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Question for everyone - I need to see if I gave someone good or bad advice.

Friend of mine hasn't ever had an accident. Her car was legally parked when it was hit by a bus. The school district is not being quick about settling and she is caught in the repairs cost more than the car is worth problem. People told her she shouldn't contact her insurance company because they would raise her rates. I told her she should call her agent and see what the agent said. (And that she should be prepared for them to tell her she should have called sooner as the accident was several months ago.) I think her insurance could be fighting some of this battle for her.

What is your opinion. Did I give her bad advice? I'm insured with the same company and haven't had my rates increased in the past when someone else hit me.
IMHO
1. Yes, she should have called her insurance company right away. Probably not too late.
2. She needs a lawyer NOW to force the school district to settle for HER fair value, plus pain and suffering.
Was she in the car? If not, she's going to have a ridiculously difficult time asking for damages for pain and suffering.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 28th, 2010, 9:52 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: IMHO
1. Yes, she should have called her insurance company right away. Probably not too late.
2. She needs a lawyer NOW to force the school district to settle for HER fair value, plus pain and suffering.
Was she in the car? If not, she's going to have a ridiculously difficult time asking for damages for pain and suffering.
P&S for the time delay!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 28th, 2010, 9:54 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: IMHO
P&S for the time delay!
Not gonna happen.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 28th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Thanks for the responses Cathy & Ozzie. Fortunately, she was not in the car. Apparently the bus was turning a corner and hit her car on one side of the street and another car on the other side of the street. I told her she should have called her insurance first thing. I'm not sure how much they are offering her but she needs $1,000 more to get the car fixed. I'm hoping getting someone else involved may help - as it is, I think she is avoiding trying to deal with it. I hope her insurance is able to help her.

I didn't think I was steering her wrong but just wanted some validation before she calls them in the morning - was hoping I didn't have to try to stop her.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 28th, 2010, 11:20 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Thanks for the responses Cathy & Ozzie. Fortunately, she was not in the car. Apparently the bus was turning a corner and hit her car on one side of the street and another car on the other side of the street. I told her she should have called her insurance first thing. I'm not sure how much they are offering her but she needs $1,000 more to get the car fixed. I'm hoping getting someone else involved may help - as it is, I think she is avoiding trying to deal with it. I hope her insurance is able to help her.

I didn't think I was steering her wrong but just wanted some validation before she calls them in the morning - was hoping I didn't have to try to stop her.
Remember: Cathy is a lawyer; I'm just a busybody! :D

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 1st, 2010, 5:17 am

Good Morning everyone! ~O)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 1st, 2010, 6:09 am

Back at you, bjornolf! ~O)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 1st, 2010, 7:53 am

Top of the day, I hope we all have a great one. :)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 1st, 2010, 7:58 am

I cannot believe we may get a few snow showers tomorrow.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 1st, 2010, 8:00 am

I'm starting to get cabin fever. Maybe a road trip soon?
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 1st, 2010, 8:01 am

1 post,
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 1st, 2010, 8:02 am

2 post=1600 :ymapplause: \:d/
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 1st, 2010, 8:10 am

Good morning, everyone! While waiting for the carpool to arrive, I paid my monthly bills. Bring on March!

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 1st, 2010, 8:13 am

Now I've gotta get my tax info together. :orcs-censored:

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 1st, 2010, 9:09 am

CathyCA wrote:Now I've gotta get my tax info together. :orcs-censored:
Ugh. Me too.

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 1st, 2010, 12:11 pm

My wife filed electronically for the first time last week. She's filed electronically with the state for years, cause it was always free, but the idea that the feds charged money for us to do something that would make their job easier just pissed her off. Filing electronically was free for everyone this year, so she decided to do it. We got our state refund already. Fed is supposed to be direct deposited this week. :D

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 1st, 2010, 12:28 pm

I always use turbotax. There is a fee, but for me it's worth it because they are pretty thorough in what they ask you. Every year they import what was there before, so it saves having to go back and find everything. Plus, you can import most of your financial stuff into it (bank statements, stock statements), saves a huge headache. It still took me 3 hours to finish ours, but it's better than the 10 it would have taken otherwise.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 1st, 2010, 2:33 pm

Eventually, I'd like to go back to TurboTax. It worked well for me when I used it. Right now, I need my CPA's help and expertise.

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 1st, 2010, 7:17 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Thanks for the responses Cathy & Ozzie. Fortunately, she was not in the car. Apparently the bus was turning a corner and hit her car on one side of the street and another car on the other side of the street. I told her she should have called her insurance first thing. I'm not sure how much they are offering her but she needs $1,000 more to get the car fixed. I'm hoping getting someone else involved may help - as it is, I think she is avoiding trying to deal with it. I hope her insurance is able to help her.

Some insurance companies are not very sophisticated, but none that I know of would have raised her rates. They would have had subrogation rights against the insurance carrier who insures the school bus, so yes, they would have been fighting the battle for her because at that point they are trying to get their money back.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 1st, 2010, 8:44 pm

I put in a long, hard day, and now I just wanna watch TV. Problem is, now that the Olympics are over, there ain't shit on.