Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 16th, 2023, 9:05 pm

OPK wrote:
April 14th, 2023, 11:58 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
April 14th, 2023, 7:08 pm
Mike Pompeo says fuck that, and announces he won't be running.
His now-forced testimony must not have gone well.

Lawyer up, Mike.
The Trump administration has done wonders for the legal industry. I guess Trump has been doing wonders for the industry his entire life, but now there are many others as well - he is his own lawyer full employment act. And of course it is only the best and brightest who work for him...
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » April 16th, 2023, 9:14 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:05 pm
OPK wrote:
April 14th, 2023, 7:08 pm
Mike Pompeo says fuck that, and announces he won't be running.

Lawyer up, Mike.
The Trump administration has done wonders for the legal industry. I guess Trump has been doing wonders for the industry his entire life, but now there are many others as well - he is his own lawyer full employment act. And of course it is only the best and brightest who work for him...
And it looks like the Dominion v. Fox case will not start tomorrow. The start is being pushed back until Tuesday. The odds of a settlement tomorrow just went up bigly.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 16th, 2023, 9:30 pm

OPK wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:14 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
OPK wrote:

Lawyer up, Mike.
And it looks like the Dominion v. Fox case will not start tomorrow. The start is being pushed back until Tuesday. The odds of a settlement tomorrow just went up bigly.
A settlement in that case would be only slightly better than Fox winning.
OPK

Post by OPK » April 16th, 2023, 9:33 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:30 pm
OPK wrote:
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Yup. I’m not rooting for it. But I would not be surprised either.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 16th, 2023, 9:40 pm

OPK wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:33 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
OPK wrote:

It is an interesting analysis. Unlike the rest of us, Dominion's primary goal is not to bring down Fox. Their goal is to get paid and restore their reputation. A settlement gets them paid, but doesn't solve reputational issues with the non-believers. But then again, haters gonna hate, so I'm not sure if anything is going to change the opinions of those who have been brainwashed into thinking Dominion is evil. And it doesn't take a court saying Fox is evil to convince those of us who already know that. So perhaps they just want to get as much money as they can and move on and hope they can still run a decent business in sane jurisdictions.

Question for OPK (or others) - beyond monetary damages, can the court order any other changes at Fox? Like saying "you have been bad, and going forward, you must do X, Y and Z?" Or can they pay up, largely revert to what they were doing but in a slightly better way, and take their chances they don't get busted again?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 16th, 2023, 9:54 pm

Unless a settlement has the stipulation that Fox loudly admits that they lied through their teeth, it would be a total win for them. Their viewers barely know the suit exists.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OPK

Post by OPK » April 17th, 2023, 7:25 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:40 pm
OPK wrote:
April 16th, 2023, 9:33 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

It is an interesting analysis. Unlike the rest of us, Dominion's primary goal is not to bring down Fox. Their goal is to get paid and restore their reputation. A settlement gets them paid, but doesn't solve reputational issues with the non-believers. But then again, haters gonna hate, so I'm not sure if anything is going to change the opinions of those who have been brainwashed into thinking Dominion is evil. And it doesn't take a court saying Fox is evil to convince those of us who already know that. So perhaps they just want to get as much money as they can and move on and hope they can still run a decent business in sane jurisdictions.

Question for OPK (or others) - beyond monetary damages, can the court order any other changes at Fox? Like saying "you have been bad, and going forward, you must do X, Y and Z?" Or can they pay up, largely revert to what they were doing but in a slightly better way, and take their chances they don't get busted again?
If there is a settlement, the court cannot do that unless the parties agree to put it into the settlement.

If there is no settlement, it depends in part on whether Dominion has requested that relief as part of an injunction or some other form of “equitable” (i.e. non-monetary) relief. I have not read the complaint so I do not know if that is in there or not. But generally speaking, the court cannot order such relief on its own,
OPK

Post by OPK » April 17th, 2023, 7:26 am

April 16th, 2023, 9:54 pm
Unless a settlement has the stipulation that Fox loudly admits that they lied through their teeth, it would be a total win for them. Their viewers barely know the suit exists.
Yup.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 17th, 2023, 7:43 am

And, I would stipulate that ALL the on-air personalities who knowingly lied be forced to admit it, multiple times, on the air. That way, all the viewers would see it. And, they would need to admit it as many times as they knowingly lied on their shows. This is how they brainwash their viewers; it should work just as well to un-brainwash.

Have I mentioned lately how much I loathe Faux News? I’m now actively searching for a TV provider that does not include them.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK

Post by OPK » April 17th, 2023, 7:45 am

WSJ article links delay to *efforts* by Fox to settle. WSJ and Fox are both owned by Murdoch (although operate independently and target two different audiences):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fox-news-d ... _permalink

Hold the line, Dominion. We need to you that wall.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 17th, 2023, 9:03 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
April 17th, 2023, 7:43 am
And, I would stipulate that ALL the on-air personalities who knowingly lied be forced to admit it, multiple times, on the air. That way, all the viewers would see it. And, they would need to admit it as many times as they knowingly lied on their shows. This is how they brainwash their viewers; it should work just as well to un-brainwash.

Have I mentioned lately how much I loathe Faux News? I’m now actively searching for a TV provider that does not include them.
I agree 100% but i think it would take a lot of repeating to un-brainwash them. And even then, the brainwashed masses won't believe it because they will think it was being forced.

Perhaps some of the Democrat mega-donors could offer to match whatever Fox is offering so that Dominion will have no incentive to settle and will have it go to trial.

There is actually a surprising amount of overlap between WSJ and other Murdoch properties. WSJ has stayed more independent than I expected but they do work together a bit in terms of selling advertising, etc. And I know a number of New Yorkers who read WSJ for business news and NY Post for sports, gossip, etc. The NY Post has really gone off the deep end in terms of its "news" coverage - they always went with the sensational to get headlines but now it is pure Fox News propaganda.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 18th, 2023, 6:52 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 17th, 2023, 9:03 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
April 17th, 2023, 7:43 am

I agree 100% but i think it would take a lot of repeating to un-brainwash them. And even then, the brainwashed masses won't believe it because they will think it was being forced.

Perhaps some of the Democrat mega-donors could offer to match whatever Fox is offering so that Dominion will have no incentive to settle and will have it go to trial.

There is actually a surprising amount of overlap between WSJ and other Murdoch properties. WSJ has stayed more independent than I expected but they do work together a bit in terms of selling advertising, etc. And I know a number of New Yorkers who read WSJ for business news and NY Post for sports, gossip, etc. The NY Post has really gone off the deep end in terms of its "news" coverage - they always went with the sensational to get headlines but now it is pure Fox News propaganda.
You’re correct about un-brainwashing. The sh!t they come up with is unbelievable to the average person. Fox viewers drink it up like water.

While driving to work yesterday, I heard on NPR that admissions of guilt and multiple on-air apologies are conditions of settlement for Dominion. They even said the dollar amount is higher with fewer admissions of guilt/apologies. But, NPR also said that Fox will appeal if they lose, and the case will drag on for years.

Stick it to ‘em, Dominion.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK

Post by OPK » April 18th, 2023, 7:16 am

Opening day, let’s go!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2023, 8:48 am

OPK wrote:
April 18th, 2023, 7:16 am
Opening day, let’s go!
Can't wait to see folks like Carlson take the stand and then go on air that night and tell their viewers they didn't see what they saw. (Or in a likelier case, what they didn't see since Fox won't show it.)
OPK

Post by OPK » April 18th, 2023, 9:26 am

April 18th, 2023, 8:48 am
OPK wrote:
Opening day, let’s go!
Can't wait to see folks like Carlson take the stand and then go on air that night and tell their viewers they didn't see what they saw. (Or in a likelier case, what they didn't see since Fox won't show it.)
It would likely violate the rule of sequestration if they discussed their testimony on air. But like you say, the trial’s not even happening inside The Bubble.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 18th, 2023, 10:18 am

OPK wrote:
April 18th, 2023, 9:26 am
April 18th, 2023, 8:48 am
OPK wrote:
Opening day, let’s go!
It would likely violate the rule of sequestration if they discussed their testimony on air. But like you say, the trial’s not even happening inside The Bubble.
If you break the rules of sequestration, are you subjected to defenestration? Now that would make for some good television!

I believe there is just an audio feed and nothing else.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2023, 11:13 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 18th, 2023, 10:18 am
If you break the rules of sequestration, are you subjected to defenestration? Now that would make for some good television!

I believe there is just an audio feed and nothing else.
Kudos to the courtroom artist that captures that action.
"Out The Window"
Gestural Drawing by Ayah Wasthere
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2023, 11:21 am

Some other political news today. Senator Feinstein is home with shingles, and her absence is causing major issues for the judiciary committee. Namely, she's gone so no nominees are getting approval to sit on any benches. Dems have both asked her to resign (she says she won't) and asked that her committee assignment be temporarily filled.

The GOP folks have come together and said screw that. While I don't like their tactic, they aren't wholly wrong in their stance. As they've pointed out, a temp assignment has never happened. And of course DF has stated this is her last term.
In my head, she should step out now and let her seat be filled. Another Dem senator will take her committee assignment, judges move forward, and a special election is called to fill her vacated spot on the Senate floor.

Do it, Dianne!
OPK

Post by OPK » April 18th, 2023, 12:00 pm

April 18th, 2023, 11:21 am
Some other political news today. Senator Feinstein is home with shingles, and her absence is causing major issues for the judiciary committee. Namely, she's gone so no nominees are getting approval to sit on any benches. Dems have both asked her to resign (she says she won't) and asked that her committee assignment be temporarily filled.

The GOP folks have come together and said screw that. While I don't like their tactic, they aren't wholly wrong in their stance. As they've pointed out, a temp assignment has never happened. And of course DF has stated this is her last term.
In my head, she should step out now and let her seat be filled. Another Dem senator will take her committee assignment, judges move forward, and a special election is called to fill her vacated spot on the Senate floor.

Do it, Dianne!
Isn’t she also suffering from dementia?

I don’t blame the Rs here, and if I was a Californian I would be pissed. She is past prime, and if you can’t do your job it is not a matter of Senatorial Courtesy.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 18th, 2023, 12:08 pm

OPK wrote:
April 18th, 2023, 12:00 pm
Isn’t she also suffering from dementia?

I don’t blame the Rs here, and if I was a Californian I would be pissed. She is past prime, and if you can’t do your job it is not a matter of Senatorial Courtesy.
According to some reports, but HIPAA and all that. If true, a removal from office, one way or the other would be appropriate. I don't care what side of the aisle you are on, you cannot represent our country in government (and with classified knowledge) in that capacity.
You have my thoughts for your well being, but not my support for your position.