Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » April 6th, 2010, 9:11 pm

bluebeer wrote:Celebratory beers. Did anyone drink anything special last night? I went with Lost Abbey Angels Share, a barrel aged barley wine. Corked and caged 375 ml bottle..2 year old vintage. Pours a thick sludgy brown. Big bourbon taste with notes of vanilla. An earthy musty oak taste that cuts down on some of the sweet booziness. Thick and syrupy with very little carbonation. A fantastic barley wine/old ale and an excellent way to celebrate #4..
I had some scotch and Perrier (w/ lemon as mixer)! IT's been a special night for ME! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 6th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Especially after the Victory Pills and Victory HopDEVIL ( :ymdevil: ) I had last night!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!1
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 6th, 2010, 10:51 pm

bluebeer wrote:Celebratory beers. Did anyone drink anything special last night? I went with Lost Abbey Angels Share, a barrel aged barley wine. Corked and caged 375 ml bottle..2 year old vintage. Pours a thick sludgy brown. Big bourbon taste with notes of vanilla. An earthy musty oak taste that cuts down on some of the sweet booziness. Thick and syrupy with very little carbonation. A fantastic barley wine/old ale and an excellent way to celebrate #4..
I had the Dogfish Head 120 that 8-X gave me months ago. I had half at halftime, and joyed the other half while savoring the victory. I had saved it to enjoy during Duke's last game of the season. I'm glad I got to save it so long. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 7th, 2010, 11:55 pm

DD reviewed it recently, and his review is spot on so I won't rehash, but drinking The Gordon tonight. I just moved and there is a wonderful shop at the end of the block (they welcome my dog in the shop, which I appreciate) and they have Gordon for $8.99 and Russian River Supplication for $11.99. Perfect combination of selection and prices.

I also have two overdue reviews which I'll post tomorrow, hopefully. Victory Old Horizontal and Duck Rabbit Wee Heavy, both from DD.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 8th, 2010, 12:19 am

rockymtn devil wrote: I also have two overdue reviews which I'll post tomorrow, hopefully. Victory Old Horizontal and Duck Rabbit Wee Heavy, both from DD.
Looking forward to your reviews. Two of my favorites.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 8th, 2010, 9:22 pm

cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 8th, 2010, 10:05 pm

I like that!!!!! I might have to pick me up a set of those! For the Ymm, Beer thread of course! ;) That
plasticblank.jpg
plasticblank.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 317 times
just didn't give enough of the experience (other than I kept feeling self conscious because I kept having to go #1, ya know P every time I picked one up to taste), but they were fun! I think I drank out of yours or DD's a time or two because I kept losing mine, they kept showing up at the porta potties.... imagine that! I didn't want to waste his supply, but I kept losing mine. I don't think I'd lose this glass! ;) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Joy bought me the pint/ale glass with all the scores for the year on it plus the final game score twice. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 9th, 2010, 1:18 am

devildeac wrote:Joy bought me the pint/ale glass with all the scores for the year on it plus the final game score twice. :D
Will you bring it to brunchgate for tasting? I'd like to make sure mine don't break! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2010, 7:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bottled my Sweet Sixteen yesterday. It is 11%ABV, lotta hops and really heavy. I was shooting for an Imperial IPA, but it's really much more of a barley-wine due to some mid lovibond malts I used. I had the bottom of the barrell yesterday during the game, it's really nice and should age excellently. The name comes from the fact that I brewed it on the day we beat Cal, and moved on to the Sweet Sixteen.
I had a bottle mid week, and I've had another tonight. Brewer's privilege and requirement...get to enjoy the progression of a beer as it matures to true drinkability..or spit it out. Anyways...the Sweet Sixteen... :-BD .
Originally I was shooting for an Imperial IPA, but with the (minor) addition of mid-lovibond malts (darker), the idea of a PALE ale went out the window. So what we end up with is a really interesting, highly hopped, heavily bittered ale, but still very sweet and with lots of body. Deeeeep auburn in color, the head is a light tan, and my guess as it ages it will stay for long time. After only 6 days the head is really nice and has way more retention than I expected. Glass to pour into?...should be a snifter. The alcohol of course is well noted, but not dominant. There is a slight nut flavor that I hope progresses with aging. Anyways, this is one of my crowning achievements for brewing my own. Devildeac will be getting some this weekend, and I'm hoping to see Cathy so I'll give her a couple to pass along to 8-X . I'll share with the rest of y'all as well, but ya gotta make it to a brunchgate. I promise to hold onto a 6 pack for an upcoming football game.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 9th, 2010, 11:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bottled my Sweet Sixteen yesterday. It is 11%ABV, lotta hops and really heavy. I was shooting for an Imperial IPA, but it's really much more of a barley-wine due to some mid lovibond malts I used. I had the bottom of the barrell yesterday during the game, it's really nice and should age excellently. The name comes from the fact that I brewed it on the day we beat Cal, and moved on to the Sweet Sixteen.
I had a bottle mid week, and I've had another tonight. Brewer's privilege and requirement...get to enjoy the progression of a beer as it matures to true drinkability..or spit it out. Anyways...the Sweet Sixteen... :-BD .
Originally I was shooting for an Imperial IPA, but with the (minor) addition of mid-lovibond malts (darker), the idea of a PALE ale went out the window. So what we end up with is a really interesting, highly hopped, heavily bittered ale, but still very sweet and with lots of body. Deeeeep auburn in color, the head is a light tan, and my guess as it ages it will stay for long time. After only 6 days the head is really nice and has way more retention than I expected. Glass to pour into?...should be a snifter. The alcohol of course is well noted, but not dominant. There is a slight nut flavor that I hope progresses with aging. Anyways, this is one of my crowning achievements for brewing my own. Devildeac will be getting some this weekend, and I'm hoping to see Cathy so I'll give her a couple to pass along to 8-X . I'll share with the rest of y'all as well, but ya gotta make it to a brunchgate. I promise to hold onto a 6 pack for an upcoming football game.
Sounding like you got yerself a barleywine there, fella...

However many I get, I plan on saving at least one of them for 6-12 months. I'll just stick it with some of my old Bigfoots (Bigfeet? :)) =)) ), Monsters and Samichlauses (?)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2010, 7:18 am

devildeac wrote:
However many I get, I plan on saving at least one of them for 6-12 months. I'll just stick it with some of my old Bigfoots (Bigfeet? :)) =)) ), Monsters and Samichlauses (?)
I'm thinking the Sweet Sixteen will be very nice to drink during next year's sweet sixteen. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 7:31 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I'm thinking the Sweet Sixteen will be very nice to drink during next year's sweet sixteen. :D
Accompanied by a corned beef sammich.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 8:20 pm

bluebeer wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Instead of going to the Great Divide event tonight I chose to come home and walk the dog in the rain/snow :|. My reward was a first taste of Avery's duganA IIPA. This beer has been described as a more sessionable cousin to the Maharaja IIPA.

Well, call me old fashioned, but I like the Maharaja better. First, they've certainly toned down the pungent cannabis aroma that makes the Maharaja so enjoyable. On the nose, this beer has some pine and citrus, but is dominated by the malt sweetness and a somewhat unpleasant smell that I can't pin down. The flavor is actually quite bitter for a supposedly toned beer, and makes you pucker a bit more than the Maharaja does. It hits all of the IIPA notes--grapefruit, pine, caramel--but it's all very resinous and medicinal. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but it's not great either. A rare miss by the folks at Avery. At least I still have some Old Jubilation.
Picked up a bottle of this last night despite hearing similar reviews to rmd from others. The beer guy at the store actually had the exact same reaction as rmd in terms of hop pucker compared to Maharaja. I think the bottle might have been sitting around since the initial release and the bit of age might have tampered down the hop bite. A nice pine and citrus hop presence but not nearly as bitter as I was expecting. There are some caramel malts for balance but this is definitely a hop driven IIPA. I liked it overall and found it very drinkable. 8.5% ABV and IBUs in the 90s...Might be worth picking up an older bottle or laying one down for some time to let the hops fade a bit...
I think both you guys nailed it with this one, although I think I enjoyed it a bit more. I found it to be more piney and less herbal/grassy. I sipped the bomber over 2 nights and have a 2nd that will be cellared until a fall Brunchgate, especially so CB&B can taste and review.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 10:34 pm

Pere Jacques-Goose Island-I have found another wonderful Belgian style dubbel ale from a US brewer. This silky, golden-brown ale retains its foamy and fizzy head fairly well and has aromas and tastes of medium to dark brown sugar, dried raisins and cherries and perhaps a bit of dark rum. Saaz hops (from the web site) appear to be the only variety and the IBU is low at 26. Five malts are listed and I was a bit surprised to read that wheat and rye were used. ABV is 8% which is fairly standard for a Belgian brown ale. This would be great with a dried fruit tray pre-meal, some sweeter style BBQ or grilled fish/chicken with a fruit salsa/compote, with a hunk of rum/caramel cake for dessert or by itself in a goblet. CB&B got one of these as part of his Liquor Barn order today so I'll be waiting for his thoughts, too.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2010, 11:34 pm

I splurged at Total Wine today, but did buy two cheapies, one that I haven't had in a long time, one that I've never had. Cheapie one was Pete's Wicked ale...one of the first mass marketed "craft" brews. It was good, easily worth the lower price. The second was Pete's Strawberry Blonde. I was sitting next to Very Duke Blue when I had my first sip, and I promptly looked at her and said "Wow, this taste's terrible". It was an amazingly bad beer. :ymtongue:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 11:37 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I splurged at Total Wine today, but did buy two cheapies, one that I haven't had in a long time, one that I've never had. Cheapie one was Pete's Wicked ale...one of the first mass marketed "craft" brews. It was good, easily worth the lower price. The second was Pete's Strawberry Blonde. I was sitting next to Very Duke Blue when I had my first sip, and I promptly looked at her and said "Wow, this taste's terrible". It was an amazingly bad beer. :ymtongue:
I'm not surprised. :naughty:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 11th, 2010, 2:08 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I splurged at Total Wine today, but did buy two cheapies, one that I haven't had in a long time, one that I've never had. Cheapie one was Pete's Wicked ale...one of the first mass marketed "craft" brews. It was good, easily worth the lower price. The second was Pete's Strawberry Blonde. I was sitting next to Very Duke Blue when I had my first sip, and I promptly looked at her and said "Wow, this taste's terrible". It was an amazingly bad beer. :ymtongue:
I'm surprised you didn't say:
"Eww! This tastes terrible. Here, you try it..." =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2010, 11:26 am

[quote="OZZIE4DUKE]
I'm surprised you didn't say:
"Eww! This tastes terrible. Here, you try it..." =))[/quote]
HA...she was kind enough to let me stay at her house, so I watched my manners. O:-)
She did try the Sweet Sixteen though..I wish I had a picture of her expression. I think it was a bit strong for her tatste. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 11th, 2010, 11:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I think it was a bit strong for her tatste. :D
Worthy of "plam" treatment... but I'm not going to do it. ;)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com