The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2023, 11:13 am

Classic tale of sleeping in the bed you made.
Former Vice President Mike Pence gave four years of unwavering loyalty to President Donald Trump and the Make America Great Again Movement.
Two years after leaving office, it appears all for naught, as he can't seem to find a lane to compete against his former boss.
Pence simply hasn't been able to muster nearly enough support to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate — he hasn't even been able to crack the double-digits mark in support for the Republican nomination in Morning Consult's surveying.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-pence-g ... 00011.html
:violin:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2023, 6:29 pm

We'll know soon where the Democrat convention will be in '24. Either Atlanta or Chicago.
The decision, expected in the coming days and as soon as this week, is ultimately Biden's to make, sources say, but shows the multiple power bases at work in the modern Democratic Party.

Chicago's pull is rooted in tradition, deep-pocketed donors and union ties, while Atlanta's appeal reflects the power of Georgia's grassroots networks and the importance to the party of Black voters and a racially diverse electorate.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/demo ... 28059.html
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 2nd, 2023, 8:16 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
April 1st, 2023, 6:29 pm
We'll know soon where the Democrat convention will be in '24. Either Atlanta or Chicago.
The decision, expected in the coming days and as soon as this week, is ultimately Biden's to make, sources say, but shows the multiple power bases at work in the modern Democratic Party.

Chicago's pull is rooted in tradition, deep-pocketed donors and union ties, while Atlanta's appeal reflects the power of Georgia's grassroots networks and the importance to the party of Black voters and a racially diverse electorate.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/demo ... 28059.html
Interesting. Didn't know these were the options. GA is a critical swing state, Atlanta proper is very blue and they have two D Senators, but the governor and a lot of the state are working against them. IL is consistently blue and Chicago is incredibly blue, though for all of the swing voters who think Democrat mayors are ruining everything, some of the optics of Chicago are not great.

I'm surprised Philly and/or Pittsburgh are not in the mix. Swing state where the leadership is more consistently behind the Ds. Or Detroit.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 2nd, 2023, 9:30 am

Former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson announced his candidacy for the 2024 Republican nomination. He is far saner than Trump and Desantis, and I hope he garners enough support to challenge the bozos.
https://apple.news/ACtJbKVOnQ7yFnHlLcP6MoQ
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » April 2nd, 2023, 10:03 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 9:30 am
Former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson announced his candidacy for the 2024 Republican nomination. He is far saner than Trump and Desantis, and I hope he garners enough support to challenge the bozos.
Asa is my preliminary guy on the R side. Which means he’s doomed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 2nd, 2023, 10:54 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
He is definitely more tolerable than those clowns. I need to learn more about him and I am curious to see if his positions adjust in order to win primary votes. Fortunately/unfortunately, I don't know if he is angry enough to win over the new Republican base.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 2nd, 2023, 12:14 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 10:54 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
He is definitely more tolerable than those clowns. I need to learn more about him and I am curious to see if his positions adjust in order to win primary votes. Fortunately/unfortunately, I don't know if he is angry enough to win over the new Republican base.
The more I think about Trump in the primaries, the more I think that the Democrats should be pulling for it. I think he could very well retake the nomination, and I think that's the worst case scenario for the GOP. It's one thing to convince 51% of your own party that you should be in the White House, but then doing it again for 51% of the whole country, after you've shown that you can't (including the mid-terms) now twice in a row, that's a tough hill to climb. Throw in all of the legal battles, and that hill is a very tall mountain.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 2nd, 2023, 2:28 pm

April 2nd, 2023, 12:14 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
The more I think about Trump in the primaries, the more I think that the Democrats should be pulling for it. I think he could very well retake the nomination, and I think that's the worst case scenario for the GOP. It's one thing to convince 51% of your own party that you should be in the White House, but then doing it again for 51% of the whole country, after you've shown that you can't (including the mid-terms) now twice in a row, that's a tough hill to climb. Throw in all of the legal battles, and that hill is a very tall mountain.
Agreed. I have been thinking a lot about that. I'm not sure what the preferred option is for the Dems. I tend to agree with you. Trump also largely offsets the age issue for Biden, which is good for the Dems. But the worst case if he actually gets elected is worse than if he someone else does. It is tough to tell the probabilities of different outcomes - so many moving parts.
OPK

Post by OPK » April 2nd, 2023, 2:58 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Don’t get me wrong, he is a conservative. My support (such as it is) lies with his respect for the rule of law, and his intolerance for Trump holding office again. He has no ties to the last administration. And, as a governor, he’s actually done something besides pontificating in Washington.

Not saying I agree with his slate of ideas. I agree with his view of how a democracy is supposed to function, which sadly is a minimal bar that several candidates do not clear.
Last edited by OPK on April 2nd, 2023, 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OPK

Post by OPK » April 2nd, 2023, 3:02 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 2:28 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Agreed. I have been thinking a lot about that. I'm not sure what the preferred option is for the Dems. I tend to agree with you. Trump also largely offsets the age issue for Biden, which is good for the Dems. But the worst case if he actually gets elected is worse than if he someone else does. It is tough to tell the probabilities of different outcomes - so many moving parts.
Yup, and this is why I want him out of the picture. Trump is not just an opponent, he is a threat to Democracy. And those who argue “but Trump can’t win” don’t factor in a Biden health issue, a third party candidate (like No Labels is trying to mount), or other scenarios.

Bury the motherfucker. Put a stake through the heart, and cover the casket with garlic and crucifixes. Then encase in lead, cement, and sink it to the bottom of a very deep lake. Metaphorically, of course,
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 2nd, 2023, 6:59 pm

OPK wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 3:02 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 2:28 pm

Yup, and this is why I want him out of the picture. Trump is not just an opponent, he is a threat to Democracy. And those who argue “but Trump can’t win” don’t factor in a Biden health issue, a third party candidate (like No Labels is trying to mount), or other scenarios.

Bury the motherfucker. Put a stake through the heart, and cover the casket with garlic and crucifixes. Then encase in lead, cement, and sink it to the bottom of a very deep lake. Metaphorically, of course,
Yes, this. IMO DeSantis is equally bad, as evidenced by his performance as governor of FL. I’d prefer that both parties field candidates that are not a fundamental threat to democracy.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 2nd, 2023, 7:06 pm

OPK wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 2:58 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Don’t get me wrong, he is a conservative. My support (such as it is) lies with his respect for the rule of law, and his intolerance for Trump holding office again. He has no ties to the last administration. And, as a governor, he’s actually done something besides pontificating in Washington.

Not saying I agree with his slate of ideas. I agree with his view of how a democracy is supposed to function, which sadly is a minimal bar that several candidates do not clear.
Agree with all of this. Plus, Hutchinson has DC experience. He was administrator of the DEA and also worked for DHS. His experience might end up making him appealing to a lot of voters. I don’t know that I will agree with him on all issues, but I could stomach a Hutchinson presidency far easier than I could handle Trump or DeSantis. If one of them wins, I might need to find a job outside the US.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK

Post by OPK » April 2nd, 2023, 9:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 7:06 pm
OPK wrote:
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Agree with all of this. Plus, Hutchinson has DC experience. He was administrator of the DEA and also worked for DHS. His experience might end up making him appealing to a lot of voters. I don’t know that I will agree with him on all issues, but I could stomach a Hutchinson presidency far easier than I could handle Trump or DeSantis. If one of them wins, I might need to find a job outside the US.
My wife is literally meeting with realtors on our upcoming visits to New Zealand and Australia in just such an event. G’day, and all that.

And I will defer to Arkie on any issues she may have with Asa. I don’t think he’s a moderate. But I think he’s sane. (again, preliminary assessment).
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » April 4th, 2023, 9:10 am

OPK wrote:
Exactly. I would not vote for Asa Hutchinson. He and I generally do not agree on policy. However, if he were elected, I would be pleased to call him my president. Trump has been nothing but a stain on this country that we are are having terrible trouble washing away, as evidenced by creatures like DeSantis. I'm embarrassed as an American that he was ever elected, and I'm absolutely terrified by the autocracy that is still threatened by the rise of the ultra-right wing of the Republican party that got Trump elected in the first place. I'm confident that Hutchinson, in contrast, would honor and preserve democracy. He would be the "loyal opposition" that the country needs.

Democracy first, policy second.
OPK

Post by OPK » April 4th, 2023, 9:45 am

Phredd3 wrote:
April 4th, 2023, 9:10 am
OPK wrote:
Exactly. I would not vote for Asa Hutchinson. He and I generally do not agree on policy. However, if he were elected, I would be pleased to call him my president. Trump has been nothing but a stain on this country that we are are having terrible trouble washing away, as evidenced by creatures like DeSantis. I'm embarrassed as an American that he was ever elected, and I'm absolutely terrified by the autocracy that is still threatened by the rise of the ultra-right wing of the Republican party that got Trump elected in the first place. I'm confident that Hutchinson, in contrast, would honor and preserve democracy. He would be the "loyal opposition" that the country needs.

Well-stayed as always.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 4th, 2023, 9:55 am

Phredd3 wrote:
OPK wrote:

Well stated! Agree with all you said.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 4th, 2023, 10:23 am

Phredd3 wrote:
OPK wrote:

Agreed. It is really sad that this is where the bar is set but unfortunately that is where America stands today. Hutchinson seems to have the goal of making America a better place for all, rather than just sticking it to the libs. His ways of making America a better place for all are often very different than mine, but it does not seem to come from a place of hatred, stupidity and self-promotion. So that is definitely a major step in the right direction.

I just walked past Trump Tower. Or tried to - I couldn't get within a block of it - dozens of photographers everywhere, police barracades, etc. America has turned into a bad reality show. I decided to stay a bit further away in case he decided to test his shooting someone on Fifth Avenue theory...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2023, 10:05 pm

NC politics are about to get very frustrating. Well, more frustrating anyway.
State Rep. Tricia Cotham, a Mecklenburg Democrat, is expected to formally switch parties and join the House Republican caucus, according to multiple media outlets.

Cotham, who has earned a reputation as a swing vote due to her willingness to vote with Republicans on certain key bills, is expected to publicly announce her decision to change party affiliation on Wednesday, reported Axios Raleigh, which was the first to report the news.

A party switch by Cotham would mean Republicans control 72 out of 120 House seats, giving them enough seats to override vetoes by Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper on their own. Republicans in the Senate already have a supermajority in that chamber, controlling 30 out of 50 seats.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nc-rep-trici ... 09489.html
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » April 5th, 2023, 7:05 am

April 4th, 2023, 10:05 pm
NC politics are about to get very frustrating. Well, more frustrating anyway.
State Rep. Tricia Cotham, a Mecklenburg Democrat, is expected to formally switch parties and join the House Republican caucus, according to multiple media outlets.

Cotham, who has earned a reputation as a swing vote due to her willingness to vote with Republicans on certain key bills, is expected to publicly announce her decision to change party affiliation on Wednesday, reported Axios Raleigh, which was the first to report the news.

A party switch by Cotham would mean Republicans control 72 out of 120 House seats, giving them enough seats to override vetoes by Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper on their own. Republicans in the Senate already have a supermajority in that chamber, controlling 30 out of 50 seats.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nc-rep-trici ... 09489.html
:angry-screaming: :angry-steamingears: :angry-tappingfoot:

Things are bad enough in this state. We don't need them to get worse.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 6th, 2023, 10:01 pm

Disgusting. This is politics today, in a nation literally built on the right to protest.
In an extraordinary, emotionally charged session marked by tense exchanges and punctuated by boos and chants from onlookers, Tennessee’s Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted to expel two Black lawmakers – but failed to oust a third representative – a week after the three Democrats led a gun reform protest in the chamber.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/06/us/tenne ... index.html

X( X(