Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » March 31st, 2010, 6:53 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point (Long Island brewer, IPA)
Totally new company and new brew to me, I found a 6 of this at Harris Teeter. They also have a "Toasted Lager" which I'll try at some point. As for the Hoptical Illusion, I'm always leary about new "hoppy" beers, because they usually dissapoint me, and coming from a new company, I was extra leary. This is really, really good though. If you gave me Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and an Illusion to blind test, it might be a bit of a struggle. 6.8% ABV, the hops are very flavorful, and really fresh tasting. High bitterness, over 70 IBU's easily. Lovely deep golden color crowned with rich off-white head, thick body, but slight less than I'd expect. The malts are packed in, and if it weren't for the high bitterness this would be a sweet beer, but it's a nice undertone. I wasn't thrilled about the price, almost $10 for the 6, but I'm sure if I bought them as singles at Total Wine they'd be around $2 each. Still, almost a buck more than a 6 of Torpedo, and over a buck more than most other crafts you find in the grocery store. A slight knock also for the twist off caps.
But...if you are looking for a really good IPA, it's a strong recommend. I'm looking forward to seeing what else these folks offer when I find them. I'll even try the toasted lager....one day.

http://www.bluepointbrewing.com/
Imagining I'll see a single coming to a trader in the near future...

:D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 31st, 2010, 6:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
A brewery now has the legal right to release a beer called 'F**king' after winning a battle with the European Patent Office......
Because F**king is a real place name, officials were helpless to prevent him from releasing the beer. Equally the 'Hell' in the title obviously comes form the German word for larger Helles.
http://www.aroundglobe.net/2010/03/brew ... fking.html

Ozzie needs to see this post, he sent an email about the town. F**cking funny. =)) =))
It would be worth an infraction point or three over yonder for someone to post a review of this town, err, beer...

:ymdevil: :ymdevil:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 31st, 2010, 5:35 pm

devildeac wrote:
A brewery now has the legal right to release a beer called 'F**king' after winning a battle with the European Patent Office......
Because F**king is a real place name, officials were helpless to prevent him from releasing the beer. Equally the 'Hell' in the title obviously comes form the German word for larger Helles.

Ozzie needs to see this post, he sent an email about the town. F**cking funny. =)) =))
It would be worth an infraction point or three over yonder for someone to post a review of this town, err, beer...

That's why it was done here, and not there!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 31st, 2010, 5:39 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:A brewery now has the legal right to release a beer called 'F**king' after winning a battle with the European Patent Office......

That's why it was done here, and not there!
Rather than edit my post, I figured I'd quote myself. Which in some places it would be like "signing" myself... =)) =)) =))

I'm sitting here in Ft. Lauderdale in my favorite free WiFi spot, Hooters, and enjoying another F*cking beer! Well, it's a Bud Light of course, and as the song that is playing right now on the juke box says "but I like it!"
"
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 31st, 2010, 9:30 pm

Yo, CB&B, check your email.

Anything for another post... =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2010, 9:34 pm

devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B, check your email.

Anything for another post... =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2010, 10:55 pm

Brewer's update...
Wow..I thought I posted about my new brew underway, but it doesn't look like it. Anyways, I pretty much aimed for a big beer, meaning lotta malts. I settled on an Imperial IPA, so that's lotta malts and lotta hops. My OG was 1092, which is the highest reading I've ever had on my hydrometer, by a longshot. With my target bottle date of this coming Sunday in sight, I took another reading tonight...it's 1020. Right now, that's translates to an ABV% of 10.15%. A final ABV of 12% will not surprise me at this point. Also, being a big beer, it should age very well. I think DD might be getting a couple more than usual, just so I know where to go looking in two years.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2010, 11:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Brewer's update...
Wow..I thought I posted about my new brew underway, but it doesn't look like it. Anyways, I pretty much aimed for a big beer, meaning lotta malts. I settled on an Imperial IPA, so that's lotta malts and lotta hops. My OG was 1092, which is the highest reading I've ever had on my hydrometer, by a longshot. With my target bottle date of this coming Sunday in sight, I took another reading tonight...it's 1020. Right now, that's translates to an ABV% of 10.15%. A final ABV of 12% will not surprise me at this point. Also, being a big beer, it should age very well. I think DD might be getting a couple more than usual, just so I know where to go looking in two years.
Now I'm drinking my sample (since I can't put it back), and being young and flat...hellyeah! Tons of body, nice fruit flavor, of course lotta alcohol, deeper color than I was shooting for but it's a nice light auburn. 3 weeks from now, this will be something to brag about.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 31st, 2010, 11:05 pm

Do you want me to bring my own 4 pack carrier or would a 6er be more appropriate?
;) :D =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 31st, 2010, 11:06 pm

Now I'm drinking my sample (since I can't put it back), and being young and flat...hellyeah! Tons of body, nice fruit flavor, of course lotta alcohol, deeper color than I was shooting for but it's a nice light auburn. 3 weeks from now, this will be something to brag about.
:-w :whistle:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 31st, 2010, 11:07 pm

Yo, CB&B, see if there is anything from this list that might interest you:

http://liquorbarnbeers.com/news/?p=5

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2010, 11:16 pm

devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B, see if there is anything from this list that might interest you:

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel (Is it brewed with Kentucky tears?)
20th Anniversary Imperial IPA (limited release)
Cereal Killer Barley Wine (or if that's way pricey, any Arcadia...don't think I've heard/seen them before)

Horse Piss Beer (Ummmm...no. Just included because I have to wonder how bad that beer tastes. I'll leave it to my imagination)

120 Minute IPA (I have one...and it will have been drunk by the time you return. Pricey, but we can't get it)
O'Fallons Cherry Chocolate (seasonal) If they still have it, that sounds awesome.

Those stand out. Once again...no horse piss! =))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 1st, 2010, 7:45 am

Check out craftbeerlocator.com/. I got this off facebook from Todd Barber, owner of the Duck and Dive Bar in Wilmington. Todd is a friend, via Jake. I have been there, its a nice bar.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 1st, 2010, 8:09 am

devildeac wrote:Yo, CB&B, see if there is anything from this list that might interest you:

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel (Is it brewed with Kentucky tears?)
20th Anniversary Imperial IPA (limited release)
Cereal Killer Barley Wine (or if that's way pricey, any Arcadia...don't think I've heard/seen them before)

Horse Piss Beer (Ummmm...no. Just included because I have to wonder how bad that beer tastes. I'll leave it to my imagination)

120 Minute IPA (I have one...and it will have been drunk by the time you return. Pricey, but we can't get it)
O'Fallons Cherry Chocolate (seasonal) If they still have it, that sounds awesome.

Those stand out. Once again...no horse piss! =))
Thought you would be interested AND amused by some of those.

:)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 1st, 2010, 5:18 pm

I caved. I went to TW today to pick up a house guest gift for Lavabe and found 4 packs of Burton Baton, Hercules IIPA and bombers of Dugana and Fritz and Ken's Ale. They are now residents of my beer storage facility, aka my garage :ymblushing: .
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » April 1st, 2010, 9:10 pm

devildeac wrote:I caved. I went to TW today to pick up a house guest gift for Lavabe and found 4 packs of Burton Baton, Hercules IIPA and bombers of Dugana and Fritz and Ken's Ale. They are now residents of my beer storage facility, aka my garage :ymblushing: .
Great haul..Can't wait to hear what you think of the Fritz and Ken's...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 1st, 2010, 10:40 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:I caved. I went to TW today to pick up a house guest gift for Lavabe and found 4 packs of Burton Baton, Hercules IIPA and bombers of Dugana and Fritz and Ken's Ale. They are now residents of my beer storage facility, aka my garage :ymblushing: .
Great haul..Can't wait to hear what you think of the Fritz and Ken's...
I also saw the Highland Brewery Abbey Ale (Asheville, N.C.) and the 400 Pound Monkey from Left Hand. I passed on those. I do have some limits/restraint. Not much but at least a smidgen :ymblushing: .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 2nd, 2010, 9:05 pm

I just got a call from DD, he was in the aisles of this place and describing some really choice sounding brews. I put in a request for a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, a Raison D'Etre (I've had this one, but not the WWS). Also on the list an imperial brew from Anchor, which I've never heard of. I've only had their Steam lager. Several other were mentioned, sounds like a fun place to visit.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I put in a request for a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, a Raison D'Etre (I've had this one, but not the WWS).
I take that back, I have had a WWS. DukePA, 8-X and I shared one at the Two Blue Oyster Roast; 8-X was awesome and brought it down, as well as a couple of 120's. I still have one of the 120's, as I told 8-X , I'm saving it for the last game of the season. I told him way back in November that I wouldn't be drinking it until April. :D
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 2nd, 2010, 11:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: I put in a request for a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, a Raison D'Etre (I've had this one, but not the WWS).
I take that back, I have had a WWS. DukePA, 8-X and I shared one at the Two Blue Oyster Roast; 8-X was awesome and brought it down, as well as a couple of 120's. I still have one of the 120's, as I told 8-X , I'm saving it for the last game of the season. I told him way back in November that I wouldn't be drinking it until April. :D
^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :YMPRAY: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :-BD