Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » March 12th, 2010, 11:25 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:Quite a nice exchange with rmd earlier today. :D
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Brabant, and especially to hear how much the brett comes through after a year plus. I still have two more bottles that I'm saving for a future date.
Had some "fresher" Brabant earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. Along the same lines, last night I tried Avery Black Tot, another in their barrel aged series...an oatmeal stout aged in Rum barrels.. Pours nearly black with very little head. Taste is fairly sweet with hints of chocolate and vanilla. The rum taste is there though not a noticeable as I expected. I picked up some Quad-like dark fruit tastes. A little thinner than other big stouts but very easily to drink...a bit boozy and I probably should have let this one sit for awhile before trying it but still very enjoyable.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2010, 8:09 am

Tasty stuff:

https://www.hsbeer.com/siren-noire-impe ... late-stout

Siren Noire-Clipper City Brewing-An imperial stout brewed with chocolate. Pours an almost silky/shiny black color with a small head. I don't know if any oatmeal is used in the brewing process but the smooth texture sure makes me think it is. Dark chocolate bouquet and tastes with moderate hop presence. I will estimate an IBU about 60 and the bottle says the ABV is 8% so this was a 2-nighter bomber. This may be quaffed at cellar temperature from a goblet for dessert by itself or with a handful of CCC, brownies or some flourless chocolate cake/torte. A wide-mouthed pint glass half-filled with this and a scoop of vanilla or coffee ice cream would make a nice treat, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 13th, 2010, 10:39 am

Went to a DBR flavored tailgate between sessions yesterday. One of the guests brought a bomber of Weyerbacher XIII stout. Poured thick, like used 20W50 motor oil. Could taste the black licorice and chocolate, but mostly the licorice. Not too bitter, but have I ever mentioned that I don't care for black licorice? It's better than mustard, but... :D I went back for a second bottle of Fat Tire when I finished my sample.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2010, 1:21 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Went to a DBR flavored tailgate between sessions yesterday. One of the guests brought a bomber of Weyerbacher XIII stout. Poured thick, like used 20W50 motor oil. Could taste the black licorice and chocolate, but mostly the licorice. Not too bitter, but have I ever mentioned that I don't care for black licorice? It's better than mustard, but... :D I went back for a second bottle of Fat Tire when I finished my sample.
I am proud you were able to have the perception of licorice in a stout like that. Some brewers use licorice in their creations and sometimes the flavor comes from all the different dark malts that they employ. In all seriousness, that is a good pick-up :ymapplause: . Those kind of beers are tough to like but you sound like you at least appreciated its flavor. Fat Tire is a solid session beer.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2010, 1:34 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Went to a DBR flavored tailgate between sessions yesterday. One of the guests brought a bomber of Weyerbacher XIII stout. Poured thick, like used 20W50 motor oil. Could taste the black licorice and chocolate, but mostly the licorice. Not too bitter, but have I ever mentioned that I don't care for black licorice? It's better than mustard, but... :D I went back for a second bottle of Fat Tire when I finished my sample.
I am proud you were able to have the perception of licorice in a stout like that. Some brewers use licorice in their creations and sometimes the flavor comes from all the different dark malts that they employ. In all seriousness, that is a good pick-up :ymapplause: . Those kind of beers are tough to like but you sound like you at least appreciated its flavor. Fat Tire is a solid session beer.
Ditto to what DD said...solid review!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Stolen from Ben63's FB profile...

rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » March 13th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Oskar Blues-Gubna IIPA

Full disclosure, this beer was supposed to end up in DD's trader but I wasn't sure how the can would handle the flight back to NC. So I decided against it and am now (as I'm trying the beer for the first time) regretting it. I should have given you one and told you to drink while in Vail.

A quick backstory: for the past few years OB has released The Gordon as its IIPA offering but, as anyone who has sampled that beer can attest, it simply isn't an IPA. It's Imperial red ale, and a fine one at that. So the fine folks at OB relabeled The Gordon as an "ale" and introduced a true IIPA in the Gubna.

High ABV? Check (10%). Serious IBUs? Check (100+). Awesome flavor? Double check. The beer uses only one hop variety (Summit hops, from the website), and shows that an extremely tasty brew can arise from simplicity. On the nose the beer smells like a fresh mix of grapefruit and cannabis. The flavor continues with a fresh citrus burst that perfectly mixes sweetness with bitterness. In the end the beer doesn't represent anything I haven't had before. It's a IIPA and has all of the tasting points you'd expect from that style. But it does everything about that style better and cleaner than I've ever had. Very tasty beer.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2010, 5:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Stolen from Ben63's FB profile...

:)) :)) =)) =))
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » March 13th, 2010, 7:41 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Oskar Blues-Gubna IIPA

Full disclosure, this beer was supposed to end up in DD's trader but I wasn't sure how the can would handle the flight back to NC. So I decided against it and am now (as I'm trying the beer for the first time) regretting it. I should have given you one and told you to drink while in Vail.

A quick backstory: for the past few years OB has released The Gordon as its IIPA offering but, as anyone who has sampled that beer can attest, it simply isn't an IPA. It's Imperial red ale, and a fine one at that. So the fine folks at OB relabeled The Gordon as an "ale" and introduced a true IIPA in the Gubna.

High ABV? Check (10%). Serious IBUs? Check (100+). Awesome flavor? Double check. The beer uses only one hop variety (Summit hops, from the website), and shows that an extremely tasty brew can arise from simplicity. On the nose the beer smells like a fresh mix of grapefruit and cannabis. The flavor continues with a fresh citrus burst that perfectly mixes sweetness with bitterness. In the end the beer doesn't represent anything I haven't had before. It's a IIPA and has all of the tasting points you'd expect from that style. But it does everything about that style better and cleaner than I've ever had. Very tasty beer.
:drool: :drool: Great review..I've been waiting to try this since first hearing about it a few months back..hoping it makes its way on to the shelves out here in the next few weeks..
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 13th, 2010, 8:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
Thanks guys!

As I asked Carlos to pass me the second Fat Tire, I saw the look in his eye. You all have read Carlos's commentary over the years on the DBR and know what a quick, sarcastic wit he has. As a preemptive strike against what I knew was about to come out of his mouth, I said "yes, another Fat Tire for Fat Ozzie!" The place cracked up =)) =)) =)) =))

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 13th, 2010, 8:48 pm

BTW, the guy who brought the bomber said the finest beer collection available for sale in north carolina is at Sam's Quick Shop in Durham. Did you guys realize that?

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2010, 9:20 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Oskar Blues-Gubna IIPA

Not a problem. I would have been worried about a can surviving the pressure changes and temps of a plane ride. But, I certainly woulda found time to drink it at Vail :(( . I've never transported a can like that for sampling purposes. However, that being said, ya owe me one, rmd, and we'll be back out next year to collect ;) :D . Sounds like a great brew. I found The Gordon for the 1st time at a Total Wine a couple weeks ago but haven't tried it yet but CB&B got one is his 12 pack trader a couple weeks ago.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2010, 10:46 pm

A little beer tutorial I borrowed from the Rogue web site.

Specifications

Plato: A description of the ratio of fermentable malts to water.
A quick way to convert degrees Plato to an approximate ABV is to divide Plato by 2.5 (note, this is not exact!)

IBU: International Bittering Units; parts per million of isomerized hop resins in beer, related to the amount of alpha acid of the hops.

Apparent Attenuation: measure of the difference between the original and ending specific gravity after fermentation. Pacman yeast eats a lot of sugar, but leaves complex sugars.
Ingredients

Lovibond: a color indicator-the higher the number, the darker the product.

Malts: Pale malt is always a 2-row blend of #1 Harrington and the rare Klages from carefully selected gene strains, grown on fertilizer-limited, volcanic rich Northwest lands, carefully graded for plump and protein. Speciality grains are generally from small European maltsters.

Hops: Northwest-grown European varieties, hand selected for look and smell, female only, kilned lupulin-abundant herbicide limited.

Yeast: Rogue’s proprietary ale yeast is PacMan. "Pacman is really great yeast; everything about it is good. Pacman attenuates well, is alcohol tolerant, and it produces beers with no diacetyl if the beer is well made. It’s very flocculent, which makes it a great choice for bottle conditioning. I ferment almost all my beers at 60deg.F; once in a while for certain styles I’ll ferment as high as 70deg.F, but never higher. Use lots of oxygen, and a high pitch rate. I never repitch past the 6th generation, and I always use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient."

- John Maier, Brewmaster, Rogue Ales
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2010, 10:47 pm

devildeac wrote:A little beer tutorial I borrowed from the Rogue web site.

Specifications

A quick way to convert degrees Plato to an approximate ABV is to divide Plato by 2.5 (note, this is not exact!)

IBU: International Bittering Units; parts per million of isomerized hop resins in beer, related to the amount of alpha acid of the hops.

Apparent Attenuation: measure of the difference between the original and ending specific gravity after fermentation. Pacman yeast eats a lot of sugar, but leaves complex sugars.
Ingredients

Malts: Pale malt is always a 2-row blend of #1 Harrington and the rare Klages from carefully selected gene strains, grown on fertilizer-limited, volcanic rich Northwest lands, carefully graded for plump and protein. Speciality grains are generally from small European maltsters.

Hops: Northwest-grown European varieties, hand selected for look and smell, female only, kilned lupulin-abundant herbicide limited.

Yeast: Rogue’s proprietary ale yeast is PacMan. "Pacman is really great yeast; everything about it is good. Pacman attenuates well, is alcohol tolerant, and it produces beers with no diacetyl if the beer is well made. It’s very flocculent, which makes it a great choice for bottle conditioning. I ferment almost all my beers at 60deg.F; once in a while for certain styles I’ll ferment as high as 70deg.F, but never higher. Use lots of oxygen, and a high pitch rate. I never repitch past the 6th generation, and I always use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient."

Guess what I am sipping tonight?

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:A little beer tutorial I borrowed from the Rogue web site.

Specifications

Ingredients

Guess what I am sipping tonight?

http://www.rogue.com/beers/john-john-dead-guy.php

Fascinating brew. This is their Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy whiskey barrels. I'm not gonna read CB&B's review until I complete mine.

I have not had a Dead Guy Ale for years, excluding the Double Dead Guy Ale which is another animal. Dead Guy is a maibock which means it is a light golden, malty brew which tastes like a mildly toasted croissant with honey and/or light caramel on it. I have thought it was kinda "dirty." By that, I mean not filtered or slightly cloudy.

This brew is pretty clean and smells mildly of whiskey, oak and vanilla with only mild IBU at 40. I'd estimate the ABV about 6% and I calculated about 6.5% based on their "formula" from the prior post. This would be very pleasant with mildly spicy beef dishes (stew, steaks, brisket, ribs, etc), some sharp cheeses or after a Duke ACCT victory :D . So, to answer the question from another thread, this is my victory beverage of the evening in honor of Jon Scheyer's killer 3 near the end of the shot clock, in the last few seconds of play today to seal the Duke championship.

BTW, the beer is called John John Ale in case some folks did not check out the Rogue web link ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2010, 11:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Rogue John John Ale.....

Megahoppy supersweetness in a bottle.
That's it?

I'm sending you back to the 'fridge for another one...

;) :D
:)) =))

(BTW, it's only 40 IBU ;) )
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 15th, 2010, 12:09 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Rogue John John Ale.....

Megahoppy supersweetness in a bottle.
That's it?

I'm sending you back to the 'fridge for another one...

;) :D
:)) =))

(BTW, it's only 40 IBU ;) )
I have run into a few beers now that are loaded with hops, but not with bitterness. For whatever reason, the hops translate more to flavor.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 15th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Hercules!!
Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide..
Saw this at Total Wine, and had to pick up a bomber. Rated 100 on beeradvocate, it's loaded up with hops. The bottle says "not for the faint of heart", and that's true. If you aren't a hophead, this one ain't for you. 85 IBU's, I had half of the bottle on Thursday, and put the bottle uncapped in the fridge. 4 days later, it still pours with a huge, light tan head, nice pale golden body. The high IBU's mean it's pretty tart, and it's kicked up a bit by the 10%ABV. The mild, sweet flavor is hard to get to through the hop overload, but it is there. A really nice ale, but drink it slow and spread it out. In fact, I'd challenge anyone to do otherwise...it's not a chugging beer. Not sure if I agree with the 100 rating, but it IS good. Worthy of making a brunchgate to share.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » March 16th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Russian River Supplication--Oak Aged American Wild Ale with sour cherries added.

This is a really fantastic beer. If you are fortunate enough to live in a state where Russian River distributes, buy two bottles (one for now, one for years down the road). The beer is a brown ale with sour cherries and two strains of wild yeast added. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and poured it into a snifter.

On the nose the beer is at first sour (presumably from the cherries), but that quickly gives way to the barnyard from the Brett and, eventually, a jammy berry scent--great nose. I don't get a lot of cherry in the flavor, but the sourness is there for sure. The beer also has a musty funkiness that is present all the way through without overpowering. The berry jam flavor is also very much present. Think a good cabernet/left bank Bordeaux.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 16th, 2010, 11:34 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Russian River Supplication--Oak Aged American Wild Ale with sour cherries added.

This is a really fantastic beer. If you are fortunate enough to live in a state where Russian River distributes, buy two bottles (one for now, one for years down the road). The beer is a brown ale with sour cherries and two strains of wild yeast added. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and poured it into a snifter.

On the nose the beer is at first sour (presumably from the cherries), but that quickly gives way to the barnyard from the Brett and, eventually, a jammy berry scent--great nose. I don't get a lot of cherry in the flavor, but the sourness is there for sure. The beer also has a musty funkiness that is present all the way through without overpowering. The berry jam flavor is also very much present. Think a good cabernet/left bank Bordeaux.
I'll expect a bottle in next year's trader...