The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by dudog » February 13th, 2021, 3:47 pm

I'm so pissed at Democrats. The Washington Examiner is a right-wing paper, and this is their headline:

"Idiotic impeachment witness reversal gives GOP cover to acquit"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

I have never considered this, but I may never vote again.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 13th, 2021, 3:58 pm

The most shameful moment in our entire history.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 13th, 2021, 4:36 pm

McConnell's speech was the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

"Trump did it all. He's way fucking guilty.
But he's not."

X(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 13th, 2021, 5:35 pm

dudog wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 3:47 pm
I'm so pissed at Democrats. The Washington Examiner is a right-wing paper, and this is their headline:

"Idiotic impeachment witness reversal gives GOP cover to acquit"

I have never considered this, but I may never vote again.
Just watched the managers' presser, I guess I see their point. Still not sure I agree, but it's not open-and-shut.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 14th, 2021, 1:12 pm

I tried. I really tried.

People say you need to look at both sides of an argument. So I sallied over to Fox this morning. Maybe it was bad timing, because Lindsey Graham was on. But I couldn't take it, I only lasted about 5 minutes.

Remember O'Reilly had the "No-Spin Zone"? (my parents used to watch a long time ago) That place is the "No-Fact Zone".
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » February 14th, 2021, 3:03 pm

dudog wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 1:12 pm
I tried. I really tried.

People say you need to look at both sides of an argument. So I sallied over to Fox this morning. Maybe it was bad timing, because Lindsey Graham was on. But I couldn't take it, I only lasted about 5 minutes.

Remember O'Reilly had the "No-Spin Zone"? (my parents used to watch a long time ago) That place is the "No-Fact Zone".
I tried that too but it’s just impossible to watch. Disgusting.

The good news today is that Joe Biden is our President.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 15th, 2021, 10:08 am

Anyone else find it sadly, hilariously ironic that mere moments after voting to acquit Trump, Mitch McConnell lectured the former president and the Senate chamber about Trump's "disgraceful dereliction of duty"?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... y-n1257900
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » February 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm

dudog wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 10:08 am
Anyone else find it sadly, hilariously ironic that mere moments after voting to acquit Trump, Mitch McConnell lectured the former president and the Senate chamber about Trump's "disgraceful dereliction of duty"?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... y-n1257900
McConnell wants to have principles, not because he wants to be a principled person, but because he thinks it looks better to be seen as having principles. Yeah, that is pretty much the height of irony.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 15th, 2021, 8:47 pm

The '22 Senate race is heating up quickly.
Already this week I've seen stories about how Lara Trump may be running for Burr's seat since he is retiring, and now a story about how ousted GA Senator David Perdue is thinking about trying his luck against recently elected Raphael Warnock.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 15th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Speaking of Richard Burr, the NC GOP voted to censure him today.
Not only did Wake County Republicans censure Burr, they banned him from entering their building.
=))

https://www.witn.com/2021/02/16/ncgop-v ... hard-burr/
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 15th, 2021, 9:32 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 8:53 pm
Speaking of Richard Burr, the NC GOP voted to censure him today.
Not only did Wake County Republicans censure Burr, they banned him from entering their building.
=))

https://www.witn.com/2021/02/16/ncgop-v ... hard-burr/
Being forbidden from entering the building of the Wake County Republican Party! How will he wake up in the morning? Now he will miss out on their raging Thursday night keggers.

I was reading tonight about Kinzinger, the Republican from Illinois who has stood up the party. Apparently, a bunch of his family members (sounds like it isn't his immediate family) sent him a letter disowning him. I am incredibly supportive of him showing a conscience and standing up to Trump's childish behavior. Unfortunately, I could never vote for a guy like him as he remains way too right wing for me. Which is where the divisions in this country get interesting.
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » February 15th, 2021, 10:59 pm

February 15th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Here’s a quick early take on ‘22 Senate contest. Subject to change, if any further resignations, especially in swing states.

Senate is currently 50-50, with Dems in majority because VP breaks ties. Repubs need to gain 1 seat, Dems need to hold 50 seats, and of course hope to pick up a couple.

In 2022 Dems might gain seats by flipping —

NC - Burr retiring
OH - Portman retiring
PA - Toomey retiring
Wisc - Johnson, loony fascist, carried Trump’s water on Hunter Biden

In 2022 Repubs might gain seats by flipping —

AZ - Kelly, just elected, special, must run again 2022
GA - Warnock, just elected, special, must run again in 2022
NV- Cortez Masto, close win in 2016
NH - Hassan, very close win in 2016

Any of you know of other flippables, let me know, I’m interested.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 15th, 2021, 11:54 pm

gumbomoop wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 10:59 pm
February 15th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Here’s a quick early take on ‘22 Senate contest. Subject to change, if any further resignations, especially in swing states.

Senate is currently 50-50, with Dems in majority because VP breaks ties. Repubs need to gain 1 seat, Dems need to hold 50 seats, and of course hope to pick up a couple.

In 2022 Dems might gain seats by flipping —

NC - Burr retiring
OH - Portman retiring
PA - Toomey retiring
Wisc - Johnson, loony fascist, carried Trump’s water on Hunter Biden

In 2022 Repubs might gain seats by flipping —

AZ - Kelly, just elected, special, must run again 2022
GA - Warnock, just elected, special, must run again in 2022
NV- Cortez Masto, close win in 2016
NH - Hassan, very close win in 2016

Any of you know of other flippables, let me know, I’m interested.
I imagine that NC will be close. Aside from Lara Trump, interested names include Mark Meadows and ex governor Pat McCrory. Whoever the Dems put forward better be a strong candidate. I don't know enough about the other states, but I would guess that in AZ Kelly is pretty safe. He won his election soundly.
As long as Warnock doesn't have any major hiccups in the next year, I think he'll be safe, too. I wonder if he's hoping that Perdue will indeed be his opponent.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 16th, 2021, 12:42 pm

A law suit against Trump and Rudy has been filed. I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like it is reasonably well-thought out and might have a chance to go somewhere. I'm guessing that proving Trump's responsibility will not be easy, but I hope they can make him squirm a bit - I assume there is not an easy way for him to avoid cooperating with the case? Though the flip side is that if they go through the process and he wins, it just energizes his followers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/16/politics ... r6yHVnuoTk
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » February 16th, 2021, 1:06 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 12:42 pm
A law suit against Trump and Rudy has been filed. I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like it is reasonably well-thought out and might have a chance to go somewhere. I'm guessing that proving Trump's responsibility will not be easy, but I hope they can make him squirm a bit - I assume there is not an easy way for him to avoid cooperating with the case? Though the flip side is that if they go through the process and he wins, it just energizes his followers.

I am sure there will be a preliminary motion to dismiss filed by the defendants to challenge standing, etc. if the suit survives that, Trump will have to sit for a deposition and testify under oath. As will co-defendant Giuliani and who never else they subpoena.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 16th, 2021, 1:22 pm

OPK wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 1:06 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 12:42 pm

I am sure there will be a preliminary motion to dismiss filed by the defendants to challenge standing, etc. if the suit survives that, Trump will have to sit for a deposition and testify under oath. As will co-defendant Giuliani and who never else they subpoena.
Roger Stone? I'm sure you've seen the pix of Stone surrounded by one of these groups at his hotel in D.C. the morning of 1/6.

I notice the Representative is filing in his "personal capacity". Is this so Ds can say 'we're moving on with business'? But Shirley, this guy this guy got leave from Nancy first, right?
dudog

Post by dudog » February 16th, 2021, 1:51 pm

"Why the Republican Party is poised to tear itself apart" by Chris Cillizza.

What that campaign of deception has created is a base in the GOP that hates its own party leaders almost as much as it hates Democrats.
There is simply no way around this fight for Republicans. This is unstoppable force and immoveable object stuff. Both sides can't win. All of which means that the GOP civil war is going to get a lot bloodier and uglier before it becomes clear who is actually going to emerge victorious.
Just point me to the popcorn stand. And I hope they take VISA.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm

OPK wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 1:06 pm

I expect for us to see Trump have to testify in a criminal case long before we ever see him testify in a civil one.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm

dudog wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 1:51 pm

What that campaign of deception has created is a base in the GOP that hates its own party leaders almost as much as it hates Democrats.
There is simply no way around this fight for Republicans. This is unstoppable force and immoveable object stuff. Both sides can't win. All of which means that the GOP civil war is going to get a lot bloodier and uglier before it becomes clear who is actually going to emerge victorious.
Meanwhile the Dems have to hold themselves together and resist the urge to have too much infighting of their own between the progressive branch and the more moderate branch. The moderate Dem in me is really hopeful that as happened in the presidential race in 2020, the progressives will continue to be OK with more moderate candidates for bigger offices (Senate, Governor, President) because those candidates will be more acceptable to disaffected Republicans who might reluctantly stick with a Trumpian Republican if the choice is between that candidate and AOC.

I think there is going to be a growing number of people who feel like there is no one who really represents them very well.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 16th, 2021, 5:22 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm
dudog wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Meanwhile the Dems have to hold themselves together and resist the urge to have too much infighting of their own between the progressive branch and the more moderate branch. The moderate Dem in me is really hopeful that as happened in the presidential race in 2020, the progressives will continue to be OK with more moderate candidates for bigger offices (Senate, Governor, President) because those candidates will be more acceptable to disaffected Republicans who might reluctantly stick with a Trumpian Republican if the choice is between that candidate and AOC.

I think there is going to be a growing number of people who feel like there is no one who really represents them very well.
There's only one person that represents me very well...and that's me :D . And even that is up for debate sometimes.