Site and Forum Suggestion List

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Site and Forum Suggestion List

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2009, 12:43 pm

Lavabe wrote:Will we be able to do a chat room (sort of like snrub) during Duke football season? Or do we have to go yonder, and hope that 'breen has escaped from EJ's basement? ;)
We DO have a chat room option. (It has to be installed.) I'm going to begin new thread shortly asking for some assistance on some site functions and front page material.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 1st, 2009, 2:10 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Will we be able to do a chat room (sort of like snrub) during Duke football season? Or do we have to go yonder, and hope that 'breen has escaped from EJ's basement? ;)
We DO have a chat room option. (It has to be installed.) I'm going to begin new thread shortly asking for some assistance on some site functions and front page material.
Let me know if you need help with anything, I have some experience with these things.
-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 12th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Can we change the URL button (the one above the text field) so that we can add the URL but also add text to appear in our posts? I am fairly certain we could do that here at one time but I cannot remember how and, sometimes, would prefer to have text as the actual link.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 12th, 2009, 8:36 pm

colchar wrote:Can we change the URL button (the one above the text field) so that we can add the URL but also add text to appear in our posts? I am fairly certain we could do that here at one time but I cannot remember how and, sometimes, would prefer to have text as the actual link.
If you highlight the text, then click the url button, you will see the tags deployed. Copy the link, and then after the first url, type "=http://www.yourlink.com". So it would look like
url=http://www.yourlink.com]your text[/url]. (I had to leave off the first bracket, otherwise it thinks it's a real link. :( )
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 12th, 2009, 11:32 pm

colchar wrote:Can we change the URL button (the one above the text field) so that we can add the URL but also add text to appear in our posts? I am fairly certain we could do that here at one time but I cannot remember how and, sometimes, would prefer to have text as the actual link.
If you highlight the text, then click the url button, you will see the tags deployed. Copy the link, and then after the first url, type "=http://www.yourlink.com". So it would look like
url=http://www.yourlink.com]your text[/url]. (I had to leave off the first bracket, otherwise it thinks it's a real link. :( )
Shoot, I just paste the url into the thread, and when I hit submit, it automatically gets linked in my post. No using the button whatsoever.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2009, 12:37 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Shoot, I just paste the url into the thread, and when I hit submit, it automatically gets linked in my post. No using the button whatsoever.
That works, but I think Colchar was asking how to go about making the words a link. Like this a link to google.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 24th, 2009, 5:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: That works, but I think Colchar was asking how to go about making the words a link. Like this a link to google.

That is precisely what I was asking.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 24th, 2009, 9:57 pm

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: That works, but I think Colchar was asking how to go about making the words a link. Like this a link to google.

That seems fairly complicated. Aren't there some message board functions that give you a pop up box with two lines, one to type the URL and one to type the Text?
Class of 2014
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2009, 10:04 pm

CellR wrote:
colchar wrote:

That seems fairly complicated. Aren't there some message board functions that give you a pop up box with two lines, one to type the URL and one to type the Text?
Not in this board software.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 11:27 am

I suggested enabling the flash thing and am happy to see it worked. I have been sparing in my usage so far.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 12:43 pm

I'd like to suggest a new thread clearly labeled to welcome new members. The current thread is long and begins with posts about interlopers. We want new members to find their welcome as easily as possible! B-)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'd like to suggest a new thread clearly labeled to welcome new members. The current thread is long and begins with posts about interlopers. We want new members to find their welcome as easily as possible! B-)
I agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'd like to suggest a new thread clearly labeled to welcome new members. The current thread is long and begins with posts about interlopers. We want new members to find their welcome as easily as possible! B-)
I agree with that. Later this evening I'll create a new one, and merge over all of the legit welcomes from the "members" thread.
How about labeling one: WELCOME!

and the other one: Adios or Sayonara or Auf Wiedersehn, or, even better...

Awww, SEE Ya...

Just sayin'... ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 7th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Um, don't merge in the old posts. IMHO, the last thing a new member is going to do is read through dozens/hundreds of posts saying welcome "whoever" over and over again. Talk about getting bored. We can hit the last unread post button to see who's new, but the new member can't - they are all unread!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 2:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Um, don't merge in the old posts. IMHO, the last thing a new member is going to do is read through dozens/hundreds of posts saying welcome "whoever" over and over again. Talk about getting bored. We can hit the last unread post button to see who's new, but the new member can't - they are all unread!
What you've described, Oz, is exactly what I'm suggesting that we eliminate and/or prevent. I thought of this today when Bill Brill was being welcomed and wondered if he has the time or interest to read through all that stuff to find the kind and enthusiastic welcoming statements aimed at him.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 2:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I'll ponder this with beer, you have a good point. We also need to see what the mods say..
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 7th, 2009, 2:59 pm

When a legitimate new member comes in, couldn't we just have a "Welcome" thread devoted to that member? It would stay up on the first page until we all have posted our welcomes to that member, and then it will just roll on off to the second page.

It seems fairly easy to do. I'm concerned about not overwhelming a newbie.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2009, 3:01 pm

CathyCA wrote:When a legitimate new member comes in, couldn't we just have a "Welcome" thread devoted to that member? It would stay up on the first page until we all have posted our welcomes to that member, and then it will just roll on off to the second page.

This is the best suggestion yet! A friendly way to recognize and welcome.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 7th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
CathyCA wrote:When a legitimate new member comes in, couldn't we just have a "Welcome" thread devoted to that member? It would stay up on the first page until we all have posted our welcomes to that member, and then it will just roll on off to the second page.

I agree. It's also the way we used to do it, before someone wanted to put them all in one common thread, like moderators elsewhere... Just saying.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 7th, 2009, 3:09 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

I agree. It's also the way we used to do it, before someone wanted to put them all in one common thread, like moderators elsewhere... Just saying.
Makes lotta sense to me.