CTN vibes for Devil in the Blue Dress Mom

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: CTN vibes for Devil in the Blue Dress Mom

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 7th, 2012, 10:48 am

Turns out she was offered some noodles and some custard. After having no solid food since July 15, she didn't find the food appetizing.... in fact, it was a little repulsive. The body adapts to changes like nothing by mouth. It may take a while to reverse that protective mode. She ate a few bites. That's a beginning. Ever the dietitian, she said that maybe they should offer her food with even less texture....... ;;)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 8th, 2012, 9:18 am

I'm so happy she passed the swallow test. Now I'm hoping and praying that the dietician can find some yummy food for your Mom.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 8th, 2012, 10:19 am

CathyCA wrote:I'm so happy she passed the swallow test. Now I'm hoping and praying that the dietician can find some yummy food for your Mom.

Thank you, Cathy! Yesterday the nurses reported that Mom ate 25% of her breakfast (second meal once cleared for soft mechanical diet I think it's called). At lunch she ate 50%.

Ever the registered dietitian herself, she told me she was surprised that she wasn't offered food with even less texture such as more liquid or even pureed. I told her she did so well on the swallow test that she jumped over those steps!

Food doesn't taste good yet...could be meds she's on or not having eaten for so long... but that is likely to change as she becomes accustomed to eating again!

Thanks again to everyone for being so supportive throughout this rocky recovery. ;;)
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 8th, 2012, 11:35 am

Hey girlfriend! So glad your mom is making such good progress. I know it's a relief for you. I hope her mood is lifting as well.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 19th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Mom is confined to the painful brace a few more weeks.

The rehab neurologist is so pleased he said that Mom should return only as needed..... she's walking 400ft. with a walker and has begun using a single point cane in the past day.

Today was a big day because Mom felt well enough to have her hair done! The last shampoo was July 12, a few days before her fall. The pain from the shingles, more than anything else, has made going to get her hair shampooed out of the question for so long. Mom looked so nice that my brother took her picture. ;;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 19th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Mom is confined to the painful brace a few more weeks.

The rehab neurologist is so pleased he said that Mom should return only as needed..... she's walking 400ft. with a walker and has begun using a single point cane in the past day.

Today was a big day because Mom felt well enough to have her hair done! The last shampoo was July 12, a few days before her fall. The pain from the shingles, more than anything else, has made going to get her hair shampooed out of the question for so long. Mom looked so nice that my brother took her picture. ;;)
That is surely a step in the right direction! Continued vibes and prayers for your Mom, and may your stress level be abated, DitBD.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 19th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Pass the word to her that we're pulling for her.

Gosh a' mighty, getting old is hard. Once we are in our reading chairs for the evening and the phone rings, the OP and I just look sadly at each other in hopes the other one will get up and do his "Grandpa McCoy" imitation to get there before it stops ringing. We stiffen up faster these days.

Needless to say, we're keeping track of the recorded political messages. Whichever party tallies up the most number of aggravating wild goose chase calls will be the one to lose our votes. /:)

Love and gentile hugs to your mom,
Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 19th, 2012, 10:33 pm

It's nice to here your mom is doing better ditbd. I hope she continues. :wizard: :wizard:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 20th, 2012, 7:16 am

I'm glad that your Mom is feeling better, DitBD. I pray that she continues to improve.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 20th, 2012, 8:00 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

More vibes for your Mom (and the whole famn damily)

I bet getting her hair done made a huge difference in her mood! That's a big step in the right direction.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » September 20th, 2012, 8:29 am

Such good news for your Mom! So happy to hear this! :-BD
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: