Latest work(s)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: Latest work(s)

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 31st, 2012, 10:35 pm

Another nice one, CB&B. What are the dimensions of these house paintings?
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 31st, 2012, 11:51 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
GhentHouse3Med.jpg
Very nice. :happy-bouncyblue:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 31st, 2012, 11:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:On my way to a brunchgate one morning, I saw the coolest sunrise coming over this field as I left VDB's house in Efland. Since it was a game day, I had my camera and took a few shots before heading off to Wallace Wade. It was one of those early frosted, chilly mornings. The painting is loose, and some will see water instead of land, but that's fine..I like having options in life. :)
EflandSunrise.jpg
Efland Sunrise
20 x 12 inches
I don't know how I missed this one. Love it!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 1st, 2012, 8:46 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Another nice one, CB&B. What are the dimensions of these house paintings?
Love, Ima
This one is 20 x 15...they are all pretty close to that.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 1st, 2012, 8:52 am

Another beauty! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2012, 9:06 am

GhentHouse3Med.jpg
I like this. Very cozy and warm!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 3rd, 2012, 10:18 am

Have you thought about Painting Mrs Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 3rd, 2012, 11:50 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Have you thought about Painting Mrs Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans?
Well since she can't pose for me anymore, I doubt it will happen. I'm pretty much a stickler for only painting from photos that I've taken.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 20th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Well since I'm stuck home sick, I'm going through my pics from our trip to figure out my next painting, which may or may not be in watercolor. Besides being a great adventure, the trip was also a wonderful refreshment for me in the arts; I have no idea how many galleries we visited but the number is large. Our favorites were the ones run either by the artists themselves, or only featuring local artists. We found several that had nice works, but almost entirely hosted published prints by artists that lived in Timbuktu..and it was interesting that the same prints always were in galleries that had the same artists, no matter the city. They were manned by pushy sales people, so we learned to spot those and avoid them.
I saw very few watercolors that I liked, but lots of oils and acrylics, which was interesting since I've had this urge lately to try either/or lately. So since I'm housebound, I figured I'd see what coupons I could print off for Michael's and go buy some paints and canvas. I hit the motherload of savings. I found a coupon for 40% off on all paints and brushes, and then when I got there, they had all of their "professional" quality acrylics on clearance. Each little tub averaged around $10, but they had them marked down, some by over half. And then with my coupon, I was going to save tons on top.
I bought about 50 paints; if I had paid full price I would have spent over $600, instead I spent less than $200. And canvas was on sale, so I loaded up on that, as well as brushes.
Now I just gotta figure out how to paint in a new medium. And figure out from which of my 2000 photos am I going to paint first. :D
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 20th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Wish you had told me you were going out to make this investment. I would have tried to talk you into trying some alkyds. After painting in oil for years and then switching, I love them as opposed to acrylics. Paint texture and mixability not so "plastic" and they dry so quickly you can do beautiful glazes without waiting seemingly for weeks for a layer to dry.

Looking so forward to seeing what you do with your new medium going forward. Keep us in the loop!
Love, Ima

PS: Hoping you don't get well soon. Stay home and keep painting!
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 20th, 2012, 3:07 pm

I wish you'd gone shopping at Michael's last week. They had a 50% coupon. I went in every day and bought candles, ribbon, flags, glue, etc.,

I can't wait to see how your new paintings in a new medium turn out.

Have you ever thought about opening your own gallery in the touristy area of New Bern or Morehead City?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 20th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Wish you had told me you were going out to make this investment. I would have tried to talk you into trying some alkyds. After painting in oil for years and then switching, I love them as opposed to acrylics. Paint texture and mixability not so "plastic" and they dry so quickly you can do beautiful glazes without waiting seemingly for weeks for a layer to dry.
I've painted with both oils and acrylics before, and one of the reasons I've never done much with oils is that I don't have the patience. Hell, I keep a hair dryer on my watercolor table, so waiting days for an oil to dry would drive me nuts. I've never heard of alkyds, but I'll keep my eye out. Today's find with the acrylics was too much of a deal to turn down. I'm almost tempted to go back and buy more, since it isn't too likely I'll see those prices any time soon. Michael's clears out their shelves now and then, so they slash the prices on the inventory they have. I've seen them do it once before with their watercolors; you have to be lucky since it is not a chain wide event..it only pertains to one product and one store at a time. They do it so they can refill the same shelves with the same brand of the same product.
CathyCA wrote:I wish you'd gone shopping at Michael's last week. They had a 50% coupon. I went in every day and bought candles, ribbon, flags, glue, etc.,

I can't wait to see how your new paintings in a new medium turn out.

Have you ever thought about opening your own gallery in the touristy area of New Bern or Morehead City?

Yup, but the honest fact is that there just isn't the foot traffic here to support it. There is a place in New Bern that rents out studio space to artists above a gallery (we saw the same thing in Savannah), but to make it worth while and profitable I really think it would require the traffic a larger city would bring in. The nearest city I bet it could work is Wilmington, but Julie and I aren't moving...hell, I'm still moving in here..lol.
But as a long term dream, of course it is something I would love to do.
Savannah 014.JPG
This is one of those artist studio/galleries run by Stephen Kasun in Savannah. His was in the City Market.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 23rd, 2012, 5:44 pm

WinterSunset.jpg
Winter Sunset
16 X 12
First acrylic in decades.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 23rd, 2012, 6:00 pm

WinterSunset.jpg
Winter Sunset
16 X 12
Me likey. It's lovely!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 23rd, 2012, 6:31 pm

Very nice. It looks "cold."

How do acrylics differ from watercolors as you are painting?

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 23rd, 2012, 9:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:Very nice. It looks "cold."

How do acrylics differ from watercolors as you are painting?

Painting with acrylics is like painting with colored Elmer's glue. But it's fun, I find them a lot looser to work with. I think it's because there isn't too much fear of screwing up..if I do, big whoop..I paint over it. With watercolor...well you can't paint over watercolors. That being said..I've got sooooo much to learn about this new medium. I've got 2 decades of experience under my belt with watercolors. I've screwed up plenty and learned from my mistakes. I've barely scratched the surface with acrylics..I'm happy this painting worked but I'm excited to see where I go in the long run.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 23rd, 2012, 10:04 pm

Beautiful!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 24th, 2012, 8:05 am

WinterSunset.jpg
Winter Sunset
16 X 12
You nailed it! :happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 24th, 2012, 11:08 pm

MorningTreeAcrylic.jpg
Morning Light
18X14
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 25th, 2012, 9:34 am

MorningTreeAcrylic.jpg
Morning Light
18X14
Another winner! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: