The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I applied for several jobs with one particular company (the one my friend works for). Just checked my personal e-mail account and discovered a message from a HR person - she want to talk with me about one of the jobs I applied for! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Perhaps the stars are aligning for happiness and relocation in your future.
Thanks, DitBD! I sure hope so.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2011, 7:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I applied for several jobs with one particular company (the one my friend works for). Just checked my personal e-mail account and discovered a message from a HR person - she want to talk with me about one of the jobs I applied for! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Woo-hooooooooooo! That is great news!

:9f:
Thanks, CathyCA! I thought I applied for a job in Foster City, CA, but the company also has a location in Concord, Ontario. The call was from Canada. It will be interesting to see if they want me to work in Canada, considering the fact that I don't have a passport!

I'm most anxious to talk with the HR person and get more details.
Three things about Canada:
1. It's very damn cold up there. For most of the country, and it's pretty damn big, the snow removal program is called July!
2. You'll get to know Colchar!
3. Did I mention that it's very damn cold up there, even in Ontario? :D

Good luck with the interview!

My Dad is originally from Toronto. I haven't been there since I was 16 and we moved to Florida. All his (4) sisters and other Canadian relatives (who still lived in Toronto, while we lived on Long Island, NY) followed him to Florida because it was so damn cold in Canada and they knew a good thing when they found it :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Umm, several questions/points:
1) AD: Are you being interviewed? My understanding is that HR has contacted you... or is it a full-blown interview?
2) AD: Why DON'T you have a passport? I'd get on that NOW.
3) Ontario has some mighty fine brew!
VIBING! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 17th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Lavabe wrote:Umm, several questions/points:
1) AD: Are you being interviewed? My understanding is that HR has contacted you... or is it a full-blown interview?
Seconding #2 - and I suggest you pay extra to have it fast-tracked. Have you never had a passport, or just have one that is expired? (The former will take longer to process.) Any FedEx/Kinko's shop can do the passport pictures for (IIRC) <$15.

Good luck that the screenings with HR go well!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 8:42 pm

1: This isn't a full-blown interview; it's an initial screening. I've had one before with this company, but it was for a different position.
2: I had the same thought, as I was walking home today. Will take care of that issue ASAP.
3: I don't do beer. I do like some, but I think I'm allergic to something in it. My throat swells when I drink some beers.

Thanks for the vibes!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 8:42 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Seconding #2 - and I suggest you pay extra to have it fast-tracked. Have you never had a passport, or just have one that is expired? (The former will take longer to process.) Any FedEx/Kinko's shop can do the passport pictures for (IIRC) <$15.

Good luck that the screenings with HR go well!
Not a bad idea. Will start looking into it. I've never had a passport and keep saying I'm going to get one. Looks like the time has come.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2011, 9:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
1: This isn't a full-blown interview; it's an initial screening. I've had one before with this company, but it was for a different position.
2: I had the same thought, as I was walking home today. Will take care of that issue ASAP.
3: I don't do beer. I do like some, but I think I'm allergic to something in it. My throat swells when I drink some beers.

Thanks for the vibes!
Ozzie and I might be allergic to something in beer, too, as our guts/bellies/abdominal girths swell when we drink beer. 8-|
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Vibing big-time for you, AD, even if this job doesn't bring you any closer to us.... :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 18th, 2011, 10:33 am

I think the phone interview went well. The questions were, "How soon can you start?" and "What are your salary expectations?" The HR person that I spoke with is arranging a phone conference with the hiring managers and will get back to me.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 18th, 2011, 10:52 am

OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This is getting exciting. Did I miss something or did you say which location they want you for?

vibe vibe vibe vibe vibe vibe vibe vibe
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 18th, 2011, 11:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I think the phone interview went well. The questions were, "How soon can you start?" and "What are your salary expectations?" The HR person that I spoke with is arranging a phone conference with the hiring managers and will get back to me.
Are they, excuse me, will they pay you in US$ or Canadian$, and what are the tax implications in both places. Are you covered by the Canadian health care system? Probably not, which is probably a good thing, since the waiting time for elective "things" can be many months, if not longer. Just something to consider before you go to work in "The Great White North"! Remember, the grass isn't always greener, or whiter, on the other side of the fence, er border...

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 18th, 2011, 11:38 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This is getting exciting. Did I miss something or did you say which location they want you for?

Love, Ima
Oops - sorry; I left that part out! The HR person is in Canada, but she was calling about the position in Foster City, CA. There were questions relating to moving and such. In fact, it sounded like there _might_ be a chance to stay here until my place sells.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 18th, 2011, 11:52 am

You're going to love California, ArkieDukie. You might even change your posting name to ArkieDukieCA. :D

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 18th, 2011, 2:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This is getting exciting. Did I miss something or did you say which location they want you for?

Love, Ima
Oops - sorry; I left that part out! The HR person is in Canada, but she was calling about the position in Foster City, CA. There were questions relating to moving and such. In fact, it sounded like there _might_ be a chance to stay here until my place sells.
Oh, that's great! :happy-bouncyblue: B-) :D

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 18th, 2011, 2:36 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I think the phone interview went well. The questions were, "How soon can you start?" and "What are your salary expectations?" The HR person that I spoke with is arranging a phone conference with the hiring managers and will get back to me.
This is good news about their interest in you.
Hmm... did you research them to find out a little more about their salary range? Cost of living MUST be a TON.

Think they will fly you out for a visit? Oh please... :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » August 18th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Lavabe wrote: This is good news about their interest in you.
Hmm... did you research them to find out a little more about their salary range? Cost of living MUST be a TON.
I know you really really want to get a new job so HOORAY!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
but I also remember you're getting your financial house in order. Here's some helpful info as you're figuring out a livable salary

Here's a cost of living calculator:http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwizar ... start.aspx
But these could also help
State income tax: http://www.tax-rates.org/California/income-tax
Sales tax: http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pam71.htm
--When I left it in 09, LA was at 10.5%
Gasoline Prices: http://gasbuddy.com/
--Current ave in Austin $3.46 vs $3.72 in San Jose
Apartment rent: Craigslist can give you an idea

Just to give you an idea, my husband made in the low six figures and we lived in a 1000 sq ft apartment the whole time we were married in LA and had just saved enough for a down payment on a starter condo. Moving to Austin, he took a pay decrease of over 15% and we still were able to first rent a 4 BR house for less than our LA rent and then buy a 5BR house with mortgage, taxes, and insurance coming out the same as our LA rent.

So negotiate hard. You won't be asking for too much.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 18th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Huzzah! Best vibes that this is a good spot for you! :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 19th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Okay, one day later and I didn't hear anything back regarding the second interview with the hiring managers. Should I be nervous? From the way the HR person spoke, I though the follow-up was definitely going to happen.

I think I need to send a "thanks for our conversation; I look forward to learning more about this position" e-mail to the HR person. Does that sound like a reasonable idea? Thoughts?
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 19th, 2011, 11:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Okay, one day later and I didn't hear anything back regarding the second interview with the hiring managers. Should I be nervous? From the way the HR person spoke, I though the follow-up was definitely going to happen.

I think I need to send a "thanks for our conversation; I look forward to learning more about this position" e-mail to the HR person. Does that sound like a reasonable idea? Thoughts?
Absolutely! A nice thank you will put you in the top 10-15% of job-seeking candidates these days. Plus, if HR responds, it gives him/her a chance to give you more information about the job or how you did in your interview.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 19th, 2011, 11:51 pm

I wouldn't be nervous about it at all. HR is probably having to coordinate scheduling of the interview and while they tried to make a commitment they can't. Hope that makes sense.

Yes on the note to HR...your level of interest should exceed that of the company. Don't want to be annoying, but disinterest can also be sensed.