The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2009, 10:47 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Ok so I've been traveling a ton this last month and haven't been around much. But I've still been cooking and have a few things to share.

MrsUsul has been asking for more fish. It's summer and I like to grill. But I get so irritated with my fish grill basket - no matter how I grease it it always gets so much fish stuck to it, it's such a pain to clean. It's really caused an aversion to grilling fish, which is so sad!

So I decided to experiment with grilling fish en papillote (learned that one from my idol, Alton Brown). The papillote in this case being aluminum foil for the grill.

Tomato Basil Salmon

6 oz salmon fillet
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C chopped tomato
3 basil leaves
3 Tbsp white wine
salt and pepper

Rip off a piece of aluminum foil enough to give you 3-4 inches around each side of the fillet after the foil is folded over. Lay the foil "vertically."
Grease a spot in the middle of the bottom half of the foil with some of the oil. Place fillet.
Season fillet with salt and pepper.
Place tomatoes and basil on top of fillet.
Season tomatoes and basil.
Drizzle white wine.
Drizzle remaining oil.
Fold top half of foil over bottom half. Fold the three edges over several times to seal. Be careful as the liquid inside may try to escape.

Asian Mahi-Mahi

6 oz Mahi fillet
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbps rice wine vinegar/Mirin
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp "rooster sauce" (Tuong Ot Sriracha or I prefer Tuong Ot Toi)
1 tsp five spice powder
salt and pepper
1/4 Cup julienned red/yellow peppers and onion mixture

Mix the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and rooster sauce in a bowl.
Rip off a piece of aluminum foil enough to give you 3-4 inches around each side of the fillet after the foil is folded over. Lay the foil "vertically."
Grease a spot in the middle of the bottom half of the foil with some of the oil. Place fillet.
Season fillet with salt, pepper and five spice powder.
Drizzle over the liquid mixture.
Place peppers/onions on top of fillet.
Fold top half of foil over bottom half. Fold the three edges over several times to seal. Be careful as the liquid inside may try to escape.

For both above, heat the grill to medium-low to medium. Place foil packets on grill (put the Mahi with the pepper/onion side face down) and cook undisturbed for 12 minutes (roughly - depending on thickness of fillet and temperature). Be careful not to puncture the foil.
Pale ale with the salmon.

IPA to stand up to the pepper in the Mahi recipe.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » June 14th, 2009, 11:01 pm

devildeac wrote: Are those hoagies any good? We have taken that "cut-through" before when heading over to W'burg but not to other parts north. I figgered it was out of the way when heading to DC/Philly.
I typically find Richmond not too bad to drive through. When it's near rush hour or if I'm hungry, cutting over on 10 is a definite.

I grew up on WaWa Italian Hoagies. Depending on your tastes, you may prefer things elsewhere. But one thing that WaWa has that makes their hoagies better than anyone else's outside of the Philly area is the Amoroso's italian rolls. The bread makes the sandwich, and Amroso's is used throught the Philly area. I can't tell you how many Italian hoagies/subs/grinders I've had that have been ruined by inferior bread. Case in point: Jimmy John's. Who makes an Italian hoagie with French bread. I mean COME ON PEOPLE! :evil:

ETA: fixed the embedded quote issues
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2009, 7:58 am

DukeUsul wrote:
devildeac wrote: Are those hoagies any good? We have taken that "cut-through" before when heading over to W'burg but not to other parts north. I figgered it was out of the way when heading to DC/Philly.
I typically find Richmond not too bad to drive through. When it's near rush hour or if I'm hungry, cutting over on 10 is a definite.

I grew up on WaWa Italian Hoagies. Depending on your tastes, you may prefer things elsewhere. But one thing that WaWa has that makes their hoagies better than anyone else's outside of the Philly area is the Amoroso's italian rolls. The bread makes the sandwich, and Amroso's is used throught the Philly area. I can't tell you how many Italian hoagies/subs/grinders I've had that have been ruined by inferior bread. Case in point: Jimmy John's. Who makes an Italian hoagie with French bread. I mean COME ON PEOPLE! :evil:

WaWa? Amoroso's rolls? I'da never thought it. Time for a trip to the Richmond area as I don't think there are any WaWa's around here. I grew up outside of the Philly area and I almost totally agree that the bread makes the hoagie. Ya still don't put mayo on a hoagie, folks, and the cold cuts needs to be really good ones, too.
:D
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 15th, 2009, 8:07 am

devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

WaWa? Amoroso's rolls? I'da never thought it. Time for a trip to the Richmond area as I don't think there are any WaWa's around here. I grew up outside of the Philly area and I almost totally agree that the bread makes the hoagie. Ya still don't put mayo on a hoagie, folks, and the cold cuts needs to be really good ones, too.
:D
Like I said, as someone who drove Durham to So Jersey for 15 years I know where pretty much every WaWa is on the way. :D There area multiple right off of I-95 going north, but that one on Rt 10 South of Richmond is one of the furthest south.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 15th, 2009, 8:13 am

Does anybody ever use a pressure cooker? Anybody got good recipes? I LOVE my pressure cooker, but I only use it for a few things. It makes an AMAZING corned beef. It also makes ribs SO good it's unbelievable. And it's SO fast. It takes 30 minutes to cook the big Costco sized corned beef roast. It takes about 10 minutes to do ribs. Then you take them out and you only have to grill them for a few minutes. That way, they don't dry out and it doesn't leech out the flavor like boiling them would. Also, it renders out a lot of the fat from the ribs, so you don't have to worry about flare ups on the grill that burn the ribs. Another cool thing about it is that it forces the flavors of liquid into the meat, so it's not only well cooked, it's also infused as if you've marinated over night. It's also moist and juicy. With the corned beef, I just put in the little seasoning packet that comes with it, then I put in some garlic and onion, a can of beef broth. I add some potatoes. After half an hour, they have a great flavor from the beef broth. They also are totally soft. Just take them out and throw them in a big bowl with some butter and a little milk, then whip them with a hand mixer, and you get perfect garlic mashed potatoes.

Supposedly, it makes rice really well too, but I've never tried it for that.

Anyway, point being, I'd like to use my pressure cooker MORE. Anybody got any good pressure cooker recipes?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 15th, 2009, 8:14 am

DukeUsul wrote:Like I said, as someone who drove Durham to So Jersey for 15 years I know where pretty much every WaWa is on the way. :D There area multiple right off of I-95 going north, but that one on Rt 10 South of Richmond is one of the furthest south.
Do you know the two on route 1 in Woodbridge, where I live? ;) There's also one in the Central Park shopping center in Fredericksburg, just off I-95.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 15th, 2009, 8:57 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Like I said, as someone who drove Durham to So Jersey for 15 years I know where pretty much every WaWa is on the way. :D There area multiple right off of I-95 going north, but that one on Rt 10 South of Richmond is one of the furthest south.
Do you know the two on route 1 in Woodbridge, where I live? ;) There's also one in the Central Park shopping center in Fredericksburg, just off I-95.

%%-
Yes, but I usually don't go over to Rt 1 in Woodbridge if I'm in that area. I typically get off on Prince Wlm Pkwy and cut over to Minnieville Rd and hit the one there. It has a nice grassy area to take the dogs out on.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 15th, 2009, 9:27 am

Wow, you really DO know all the Wawa's. I didn't even think of that one. It's funny. Sometimes that one has gas quite a bit cheaper than the other two, but at other times, it's quite a bit MORE than the other two (like a 20 cent per gallon swing). It's kind of weird.

That one's pretty convenient if you take the Caton Hill Rd exit off PWPkwy. Then you can swing back down Caton Hill and be right back on I-95. It's pretty handy.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 15th, 2009, 10:09 am

I always go straight through Richmond. One time I've encountered traffic, and I just exited and took surface streets until I got to the north side of town. I don't recommend this method for everyone. I just know Richmond fairly well because I spent a lot of time there as a kid when I visited my aunt and uncle.

I like to use a pressure cooker. I've begun experimenting with it only this past year because the things scare me. I like to cook butterbeans in the pressure cooker. Add a little sugar and a tablespoon of orange juice to the beans. Let the pressure cooker do its thing for 3 minutes, remove from heat and the beans are magnificent!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 15th, 2009, 10:13 am

bjornolf wrote:Does anybody ever use a pressure cooker? Anybody got good recipes? I LOVE my pressure cooker, but I only use it for a few things. It makes an AMAZING corned beef. It also makes ribs SO good it's unbelievable. And it's SO fast. It takes 30 minutes to cook the big Costco sized corned beef roast. It takes about 10 minutes to do ribs. Then you take them out and you only have to grill them for a few minutes. That way, they don't dry out and it doesn't leech out the flavor like boiling them would. Also, it renders out a lot of the fat from the ribs, so you don't have to worry about flare ups on the grill that burn the ribs. Another cool thing about it is that it forces the flavors of liquid into the meat, so it's not only well cooked, it's also infused as if you've marinated over night. It's also moist and juicy. With the corned beef, I just put in the little seasoning packet that comes with it, then I put in some garlic and onion, a can of beef broth. I add some potatoes. After half an hour, they have a great flavor from the beef broth. They also are totally soft. Just take them out and throw them in a big bowl with some butter and a little milk, then whip them with a hand mixer, and you get perfect garlic mashed potatoes.

Supposedly, it makes rice really well too, but I've never tried it for that.

Anyway, point being, I'd like to use my pressure cooker MORE. Anybody got any good pressure cooker recipes?

%%-
I'd like further details on your rib making steps.... the sound of this is making my mouth water! Along with the 7 bean salad and I'm thinking some veggies and some fresh coleslaw and naturally a few brews to keep some moisture in the body!!!!! :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 15th, 2009, 10:15 am

CathyCA wrote:... I like to cook butterbeans in the pressure cooker. Add a little sugar and a tablespoon of orange juice to the beans. Let the pressure cooker do its thing for 3 minutes, remove from heat and the beans are magnificent!
Those beans are delicious too I might add!!!!! I played with these little tips just provided and YUMMMMY, I could eat just those beans for a meal.... they keep you coming back! :-bd
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 15th, 2009, 10:20 am

One of the radio shows I like interviewed Emeril Agassi the other day, and he said a great way to spice up a boring chicken breast or pork chop was to marinate in orange juice and cumin. According to him, it's a GREAT combination. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe you could add a pinch of cumin to the beans to go with the OJ.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 16th, 2009, 7:16 pm

DevilAlumna wrote: Oh my sweet, dear lord, this was divine. Wilson, you done yourself proud.

I cut the rub proportions down by half, for my 3lb. roast, and it was just the right amount to cover the shoulder. I let it cook for about 3.75 hours, and took your tip to mix the pork with some of the vinegar sauce and some "real" sauce (a local, Trilby's - best sauce evahr). Ymm, ymm, ymm.

Mr. DA hasn't ever really had good pulled pork, NC-style - he went back for thirds. If I weren't so absotively stuffed, I'd still be eating it.
I'm really glad you enjoyed the barbecue so much. There might not be anything in the world that makes me happier than sharing my food and/or recipes with people. Well, OK, there are approximately four things in the world that make me happier. But still.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 17th, 2009, 9:01 am

Woah, I want to know what the four are. Is :ar! -ing one of them? ;) How about pw-ing?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 17th, 2009, 9:42 am

bjornolf wrote:Woah, I want to know what the four are. Is :ar! -ing one of them? ;) How about pw-ing?

%%-
Hah, I knew this question was coming. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Christmas
2. a gin & tonic on the beach between 5:30 p.m. and dark

The other two involve no clothes, and I'm going no further.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 11th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Corn On The Cob
compliments of Paula Deen

(I haven't tried this yet, as I'm currently housed in a hotel, but it looks easy so someone try it and report back.)

LINK

Ingredients

* 8 ear(s) corn
* 1 pound(s) bacon strips

Directions

1. Gently pull back the husks of each ear of corn, exposing the kernels. Do not remove the husk.
2. Remove the corn silk (use a brush, if available, to make sure all the silk is removed). Soak the corn in a large pot of water for 30 minutes. (This will prevent the husks from charring.) Preheat grill to medium heat.
3. Remove the corn from the water and pat dry. Take a strip of bacon and wrap it around the corn in a spiral fashion. Fold the corn husks back over, covering the bacon and corn. Tie the husks with butchers’ string; repeat the process for each ear of corn. Place the ears of corn on the hot grill and cook, turning occasionally, until bacon is cooked and corn is tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with butter, if desired.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » July 11th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Sue71 wrote:Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Corn On The Cob
This sounded so good that I had to try it with my burger tonight (while watching the suddenly hapless Rockies suck it up again).

First things first: my bacon didn't ever crisp up, which is probably because I put it on a hot grill (the key to crispy bacon is a cold pan, after all). As a result, I removed the bacon strip and threw it away after cooking.

Nonetheless, this is a great recipe. I usually soak the corn, pull back the husks, remove the silk, and then season with butter, salt and pepper (and maybe lime) before putting in on the grill. The bacon serves as the seasoning and adds not only a great flavor from the fat rendering, but also a nice smokiness to the corn. It also allows the natural sweetness of the corn to dominate, which is excellent. Even if I can't find a way to keep the bacon on the corn when I eat it, this might become my new go-to corn preparation. Next time I want to try pepper bacon.

Thanks for the recipe Sue!
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 12th, 2009, 7:56 am

Okay, I'll admit I haven't tried it yet, but bacon wrapped corn may just be the greatest recipe of all time. You're taking my favorite veggie and combining it with my favorite pork product. If I weren't happily married Sue, I might just have to have flown over the CA and swept you off your feet. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 12th, 2009, 4:04 pm

I love this woman. I don't care if neither of us are available to each other. @};-

I'm only surprised that she didn't try to deep fry it. I once saw her deep fry cheesecake. :@)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 12th, 2009, 4:11 pm

captmojo wrote:
I love this woman. I don't care if neither of us are available to each other. @};-

I'm only surprised that she didn't try to deep fry it. I once saw her deep fry cheesecake. :@)
Have you seen what they have deep-fried at the NC State Fair in recent years? :roll: :)) =))