Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Winter Olympics Thread: Vancouver 2010

Post by colchar » February 14th, 2010, 11:57 am

Lavabe wrote:Canadian women's hockey team 18, Slovakia 0.

:-o

In a qualifying event the Slovakian team beat Bulgaria 82-0. Seriously, I'm not even shitting you here.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 14th, 2010, 3:28 pm

colchar wrote:Judged events are a joke. In ski-jumping, the third place finisher actually had a longer jump than the second place finisher. Ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, distance is all that should matter. I don't care if you are flailing your arms the whole way, if you jump furthest you should win.
I think judged events due suffer more than objective events, but I disagree that distance is all that should matter. It takes more athletic ability to perform an acrobatic maneuver and stick a landing than it does to just jump the furthest. There's actually a really nice balance between speed, technique, distance, in the freestyle moguls. It's a shame that there is no way to perform objective analysis, but that's why they throw out the highest and lowest scores, and use time to factor the score.

There are lots of problems with judged olympic events, but I don't think it takes it away from the excitement.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 14th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Miles wrote:
colchar wrote:Judged events are a joke. In ski-jumping, the third place finisher actually had a longer jump than the second place finisher. Ridiculous. As far as I am concerned, distance is all that should matter. I don't care if you are flailing your arms the whole way, if you jump furthest you should win.
I think judged events due suffer more than objective events, but I disagree that distance is all that should matter. It takes more athletic ability to perform an acrobatic maneuver and stick a landing than it does to just jump the furthest. There's actually a really nice balance between speed, technique, distance, in the freestyle moguls. It's a shame that there is no way to perform objective analysis, but that's why they throw out the highest and lowest scores, and use time to factor the score.

There are lots of problems with judged olympic events, but I don't think it takes it away from the excitement.

It might not take away from the excitement (except in figure skating which can be so corrupt as to make boxing look clean) but I do think that it takes away from the validity of the final results.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Pairs figure skating will be heavily featured tonight...ick. I'll be very happy to take in interludes of the NBA All-Star game in between the men's luge final and freestyle skiing.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 8:26 pm

This freestyle moguls business is definitely badass. I like how it has scoring components for both speed and tricks.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 14th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Did anyone watch the young Russian team that skated after the coverage of freestyle moguls, before coverage of Americans Evora/Ladwig? If the female half of that duo doesn't have a major eating disorder I'll eat my hat. She was frighteningly skinny.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 9:14 pm

wilson wrote:This freestyle moguls business is definitely badass. I like how it has scoring components for both speed and tricks.
Johnny Moseley, with whom I first became familiar via ESPN's Winter X Games, is a pretty good TV guy...he's doing a really good job of picking out important developments in realtime, and then explaining them to the layperson after the fact. :ymapplause:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 14th, 2010, 9:19 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:This freestyle moguls business is definitely badass. I like how it has scoring components for both speed and tricks.
Johnny Moseley, with whom I first became familiar via ESPN's Winter X Games, is a pretty good TV guy...he's doing a really good job of picking out important developments in realtime, and then explaining them to the layperson after the fact. :ymapplause:
ITA - I was thinking earlier that commentators for other sports could take lessons from him.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Freestyle skier Alexandre Bilodeau has finally won a gold medal for the Canucks on their own soil. Congrats, eh, to the denizens of the Great White North. :ymapplause:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 9:50 pm

wilson wrote:Freestyle skier Alexandre Bilodeau has finally won a gold medal for the Canucks on their own soil. Congrats, eh, to the denizens of the Great White North. :ymapplause:
Even better, he beat out Australian spammer-millionaire Dale Begg-Smith for the medal.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 14th, 2010, 9:54 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:Freestyle skier Alexandre Bilodeau has finally won a gold medal for the Canucks on their own soil. Congrats, eh, to the denizens of the Great White North. :ymapplause:
Even better, he beat out Australian spammer-millionaire Dale Begg-Smith for the medal.

Who was born and raised in Canada, only a few miles from where the competition was held.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 14th, 2010, 10:39 pm

See... if the NBA slam-dunk competition occurred right now opposite pairs skating 1st round, I'd watch it.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Lavabe wrote:See... if the NBA slam-dunk competition occurred right now opposite pairs skating 1st round, I'd watch it.
But the dunk contest is a judged sport too... ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 14th, 2010, 10:48 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:See... if the NBA slam-dunk competition occurred right now opposite pairs skating 1st round, I'd watch it.
But the dunk contest is a judged sport too... ;)
Da-- you, wilson!! ;) :D
=)) :)) :ymdevil:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 14th, 2010, 10:49 pm

OMG--the Germans submitted CLOWNS for the figure skating short program.

OMG! What were they thinking?

This program had better be good.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 14th, 2010, 10:50 pm

The German pair is skating to SEND IN THE CLOWNS. I score them very high in make-up and costuming. 8-}

All I can think of is SPROCKETS. :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2010, 10:55 pm

CathyCA wrote:OMG--the Germans submitted CLOWNS for the figure skating short program.

Lavabe wrote:The German pair is skating to SEND IN THE CLOWNS. I score them very high in make-up and costuming. 8-}

Wow. How did multiple people, at any moment in time, think that was a good idea? :o) :o) :o)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » February 14th, 2010, 10:57 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:OMG--the Germans submitted CLOWNS for the figure skating short program.

Lavabe wrote:The German pair is skating to SEND IN THE CLOWNS. I score them very high in make-up and costuming. 8-}

Wow. How did multiple people, at any moment in time, think that was a good idea?
Shockingly, they are in 2nd place after the first round performance.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:

Wow. How did multiple people, at any moment in time, think that was a good idea?
Shockingly, they are in 2nd place after the first round performance.
They skated very well, despite the bizarre costuming and makeup, which did NOTHING to enhance their routine.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Miles

Post by Miles » February 15th, 2010, 7:59 am

Do you want to touch my monkey? :(|)
sMiles