Cold

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Cold

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 10th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Despite having considerable experience in dealing with severe cold when it comes to this part of the country, I was unable to prevent frozen pipes overnight. I did all the things on the checklist. A plumber friend confirmed that I had done all the things a homeowner could do including what I'd done to prepare for the water coming back through the lines. He said that the freezing was where the water comes into the house, that I would just have to wait it out until there was enough warmth outside to allow for thawing. With a high in the mid thirties today, I was prepared to deal with this inconvenience until the temps go up into the forties tomorrow.

About 15 minutes ago there was a wonderful sound of lots of water and air spewing out of a couple of faucets! All seems to be well now in the water system. Next: a wonderful warm shower!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 10th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: About 15 minutes ago there was a wonderful sound of lots of water and air spewing out of a couple of faucets! All seems to be well now in the water system. Next: a wonderful warm shower!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 10th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Despite having considerable experience in dealing with severe cold when it comes to this part of the country, I was unable to prevent frozen pipes overnight. I did all the things on the checklist. A plumber friend confirmed that I had done all the things a homeowner could do including what I'd done to prepare for the water coming back through the lines. He said that the freezing was where the water comes into the house, that I would just have to wait it out until there was enough warmth outside to allow for thawing. With a high in the mid thirties today, I was prepared to deal with this inconvenience until the temps go up into the forties tomorrow.

About 15 minutes ago there was a wonderful sound of lots of water and air spewing out of a couple of faucets! All seems to be well now in the water system. Next: a wonderful warm shower!
I'd check to see if there's a way you could insulate that incoming line to help prevent it happening again. It'll be in the 40s Monday but forecasters are saying around 15F at sunrise.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 4:57 pm

captmojo wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Despite having considerable experience in dealing with severe cold when it comes to this part of the country, I was unable to prevent frozen pipes overnight. I did all the things on the checklist. A plumber friend confirmed that I had done all the things a homeowner could do including what I'd done to prepare for the water coming back through the lines. He said that the freezing was where the water comes into the house, that I would just have to wait it out until there was enough warmth outside to allow for thawing. With a high in the mid thirties today, I was prepared to deal with this inconvenience until the temps go up into the forties tomorrow.

I'd check to see if there's a way you could insulate that incoming line to help prevent it happening again. It'll be in the 40s Monday but forecasters are saying around 15F at sunrise.
You can buy a foam rubber pipe insulation at either Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... insulation or Lowe's. It's easy to install if you can get to the pipe. It is slit on one side so you fit it around the pipe. It has an adhesive on the slit sides, so you peel off the backing after you fit it on the pipe and then squeeze the sides together and it stays put. Chances are your supply pipe coming in is 3/4" http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... ogId=10053 , but check it first.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 10th, 2010, 5:06 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
captmojo wrote:

You can buy a foam rubber pipe insulation at either Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... insulation or Lowe's. It's easy to install if you can get to the pipe. It is slit on one side so you fit it around the pipe. It has an adhesive on the slit sides, so you peel off the backing after you fit it on the pipe and then squeeze the sides together and it stays put. Chances are your supply pipe coming in is 3/4" http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... ogId=10053 , but check it first.
I would love to do that.... haven't been able to determine where the water comes in other than under the cement driveway. The house is built on a slab with no crawl space. The garage is completely finished including mill work, sheet rock and paint... driveway and garage face the street and water main.

Where else should I look?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: I would love to do that.... haven't been able to determine where the water comes in other than under the cement driveway. The house is built on a slab with no crawl space. The garage is completely finished including mill work, sheet rock and paint... driveway and garage face the street and water main.

If the pipe is buried in the slab, it comes up into the house somewhere, probably the laundry room. If it comes directly into heated space, there is nothing you can insulate (without tearing up the slab, and I know you don't want to do that...). At least the pipe didn't burst when it froze. Best advice is to keep water running, faster than you did when it froze, next time it gets into the low 20's.

Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 10th, 2010, 5:37 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: I would love to do that.... haven't been able to determine where the water comes in other than under the cement driveway. The house is built on a slab with no crawl space. The garage is completely finished including mill work, sheet rock and paint... driveway and garage face the street and water main.

If the pipe is buried in the slab, it comes up into the house somewhere, probably the laundry room. If it comes directly into heated space, there is nothing you can insulate (without tearing up the slab, and I know you don't want to do that...). At least the pipe didn't burst when it froze. Best advice is to keep water running, faster than you did when it froze, next time it gets into the low 20's.
I can see where a water pipe comes into the laundry room, up the wall near the top of the electric hot water heater. The laundry room backs up to the garage and has its own heat duct. It's usually very warm in there, warmer that the rest of the house. I can maximize the warmth by closing the door.... I can try that tonight in addition to the usual faucet heavy dripping and opening the cabinet doors.

There's previously been no problem with freezing water pipes with temperatures in the twenties. The one other incidence was five years ago just after I moved in. The temperature that morning was 9F, oddly enough.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: The temperature that morning was 9F, oddly enough.
There is nothing odd about that temperature. It's just damn cold! :D

Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 11th, 2010, 9:17 am

This morning the temperature at 8A was 17 degrees. The water in the pipes of my house is very cold and flowing easily. Don't know which strategy made the difference (more volume running from a faucet overnight or closing the door of the laundry room to keep it toasty)..... maybe it was the advice and silent vibes from crazietalkers....... :ymapplause:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 11th, 2010, 9:23 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:This morning the temperature at 8A was 17 degrees. The water in the pipes of my house is very cold and flowing easily. Don't know which strategy made the difference (more volume running from a faucet overnight or closing the door of the laundry room to keep it toasty)..... maybe it was the advice and silent vibes from crazietalkers....... :ymapplause:
Where do I get one of those thermometers?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 11th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:Georgia LOVES the snow
She's beautiful!!!

That shot reminded me of the following....
puppy-freezing.jpg
puppy-freezing.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 206 times
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 11th, 2010, 12:56 pm

cl15876 wrote: That shot reminded me of the following....
puppy-freezing.jpg
=)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 11th, 2010, 4:48 pm

We are supposed to be up to 60 by Wednesday! :flame:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 11th, 2010, 5:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:We are supposed to be up to 60 by Wednesday! :flame:
i'm waiting for a warmer day. :D
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 11th, 2010, 5:44 pm

I did an errand at lunch. My car showed an outside temperature of 34F. :) It is a heat wave around here.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 11th, 2010, 7:43 pm

we're supposed to have snow flurries tonight.