Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » March 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm

devildeac wrote:BTTT

Some moron bumped this to page 2 last PM with some redickulous new topics...

:ymblushing:
Had me ALL OUT OF SORTS!!!! :-o :-o :-o :)) :)) :)) :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 7th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Dale's Pale Ale-draft-I enjoyed this with a late night snack after arriving at ~8000 feet after the glorious Duke W last PM. Different character than what is in the can and in a very pleasant way. The hops are smoother or is it the malts are more balanced in this PA that is really more like an IPA. Yellow-golden color, nice 2 finger head and aromas and tastes of pine and flowers. I'm gonna guess the IBU about 60 and the ABV is 6.5%, IIRC from the canned specimen I reviewed several months ago. This was an enjoyable victory beer with a chicken quesadilla we shared after our long journey.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 7th, 2010, 6:36 pm

devildeac wrote:Dale's Pale Ale-draft-I enjoyed this with a late night snack after arriving at ~8000 feet after the glorious Duke W last PM. Different character than what is in the can and in a very pleasant way. The hops are smoother or is it the malts are more balanced in this PA that is really more like an IPA. Yellow-golden color, nice 2 finger head and aromas and tastes of pine and flowers. I'm gonna guess the IBU about 60 and the ABV is 6.5%, IIRC from the canned specimen I reviewed several months ago. This was an enjoyable victory beer with a chicken quesadilla we shared after our long journey.
Very cool..I hope you try some more Oskar's on draft..I enjoyed a pils and old chub today while watching the women.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 7th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Quite a nice exchange with rmd earlier today. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 8th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Green Flash Brewing Barleywine. No clever name like Old Knucklehead, Old Guardian or Old Boardhead. Classic style with bottle-conditioning, a dark golden/medium brown pour and a moderate head. This of course has tons of malts with a bit of toffee/whiskey flavors and the hops have hints of citrus and intense floral aromas/tastes. The IBU are 85 and the ABV is 10.9% so I divided the bomber over 2 nights. I made this a late after dinner drink and had a few peanuts and cheese and crackers with it. It would be fine with hot/spicy entrees, too. Found this at Vail so don't look for it back east.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2010, 12:49 pm

devildeac wrote:Green Flash Brewing Barleywine. Found this at Vail so don't look for it back east.
Why not? They sell it in Greensboro. :D

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/wheretobuy.html
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 8th, 2010, 1:18 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Green Flash Brewing Barleywine. Found this at Vail so don't look for it back east.

I have only seen the West Coast IPA, Miles traded a 6er of the Red Ale and I did buy 2 bombers of Le Freak but I have never seen any of their other products in Raleigh. I'll let you pick up some of their other stuff then when you're in G'boro ;) :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2010, 2:25 pm

devildeac wrote:

I have only seen the West Coast IPA, Miles traded a 6er of the Red Ale and I did buy 2 bombers of Le Freak but I have never seen any of their other products in Raleigh. I'll let you pick up some of their other stuff then when you're in G'boro ;) :D .
Ha...I'm assuming that is just where one of their distributors is..but it might be a store, dunno.

North Carolina
Freedom Beverage
3825 W. Market Street, Ste. 100
Greensboro, NC 27407
336-316-1260
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 8th, 2010, 5:52 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Why not? They sell it in Greensboro. :D

Ha...I'm assuming that is just where one of their distributors is..but it might be a store, dunno.

North Carolina
Freedom Beverage
3825 W. Market Street, Ste. 100
Greensboro, NC 27407
336-316-1260
Kinda like that warehouse we drove by that you thought was a homebrew shop. ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 8th, 2010, 6:21 pm

devildeac wrote: Kinda like that warehouse we drove by that you thought was a homebrew shop. ;) :D
Yup..but that turned out to a fortuitous mistake. The beer gods knew we were on a quest.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 8th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Odell Brewing IPA-A classic. Clean, crisp and a clear yellow-orange pour with a 1-2 finger head. Pungent citrus nose and taste with a solid malt balance. IBU are 60 and the ABV is 7%. I'm enjoying this several hours after some beef stew (Mrs. DD's is better :D ) and sharing a bit of a smoked chicken platter, imitation Brunswick stew, mac and cheese and some imitation 'nana pudding from Moe's Original BBQ. This would make a nice meal brew with light to mildly spice fare with some chutney or salsa. CB&B will see 1 of these in a future trader ;) :D . 8-X might also if we can have a CT gathering for the spring game.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » March 8th, 2010, 11:50 pm

devildeac wrote:Odell Brewing IPA-A classic. Clean, crisp and a clear yellow-orange pour with a 1-2 finger head. Pungent citrus nose and taste with a solid malt balance. IBU are 60 and the ABV is 7%. I'm enjoying this several hours after some beef stew (Mrs. DD's is better :D ) and sharing a bit of a smoked chicken platter, imitation Brunswick stew, mac and cheese and some imitation 'nana pudding from Moe's Original BBQ. This would make a nice meal brew with light to mildly spice fare with some chutney or salsa. CB&B will see 1 of these in a future trader ;) :D . 8-X might also if we can have a CT gathering for the spring game.
I'm in for that one! Spring can't get here soon enough! Miss ya! ;) ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2010, 9:20 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Odell Brewing IPA-A classic. Clean, crisp and a clear yellow-orange pour with a 1-2 finger head. Pungent citrus nose and taste with a solid malt balance. IBU are 60 and the ABV is 7%. I'm enjoying this several hours after some beef stew (Mrs. DD's is better :D ) and sharing a bit of a smoked chicken platter, imitation Brunswick stew, mac and cheese and some imitation 'nana pudding from Moe's Original BBQ. This would make a nice meal brew with light to mildly spice fare with some chutney or salsa. CB&B will see 1 of these in a future trader ;) :D . 8-X might also if we can have a CT gathering for the spring game.
There will be one in your next 6er ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2010, 9:35 pm

cl15876 wrote:
How about this one?

New Belgium Trippel-I have enjoyed this beer for at least 10 years. A nice, light yellow traditional Belgian style trippel ale with lotsa fizz and aromas and tastes of bananas, cloves and coriander (added). Mrs. DD also took a sniff and thought pineapple and I would have to agree with her. She's so smart. The IBU are low and I'd guess 20-30 and the ABV is 7.8%. I'd love this with some grilled chicken or fish with some fruity salsa on the side. It would also be tasty with some lighter cheeses and fruits, either before a meal or as a light dessert. So, 8-X , how about it? Do you want one of these in your next trader? CB&B gets one whether he wants it or not as he has one of just about everything I've got in the garage now except last night's two ales. :)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 9th, 2010, 9:39 pm

devildeac wrote: CB&B gets one whether he wants it or not as he has one of just about everything I've got in the garage now except last night's two ales. :)) =))
=)) =)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 9th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Victory Hopdevil.
I'm astounded this hasn't been reviewed before. This is a DD trader, or has been in the past. I buy it when I see it, also. Nice floral nose, this brew is actually much less "hoppy" than you would expect, given the name. These hops taste a bit greener, and thus smoother. Lots of flavor, just without the intense bitterness. At 6.7% it's a borderline session beer as long as there aren't too many sessions. Victory is an amazing brewer, I've never had anything they produce that rubbed me wrong.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2010, 11:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Victory Hopdevil.
I'm astounded this hasn't been reviewed before. This is a DD trader, or has been in the past. I buy it when I see it, also. Nice floral nose, this brew is actually much less "hoppy" than you would expect, given the name. These hops taste a bit greener, and thus smoother. Lots of flavor, just without the intense bitterness. At 6.7% it's a borderline session beer as long as there aren't too many sessions. Victory is an amazing brewer, I've never had anything they produce that rubbed me wrong.
I don't think I have had one of these for a couple years so you must have bought this in J'ville. My recollection is that the bitterness far outweigh any hop balance. I'd swear the IBU of this to be about 90 but don't recall ever having read it anywhere.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 9th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout-Terrapin Brewing-I need a splash of cream, a teaspoon of sugar and a cinnamon danish and my evening would be complete. Dark brown pour with a small, medium tan-hued head. Mrs. DD thought licorice and I thought Starbucks when we sniffed it. (It's really Jittery Joe's according to the label). Moderate bitterness with an estimated IBU of 50-60 and tons o' chocolate and black malts, further smoothed out with the oatmeal added. This is a trader from CB&B and would be a good candidate for a float, too. I just hope I have a restful sleep from the beverage and not a series of nightmares from the coffee and orange-flavored chocolate squares I enjoyed with it :ymblushing: . Oh, and the ABV is 8.1%, a bit low for an imperial stout but perhaps it was sobered up a bit with all the coffee in the brew :)) =)) . Thanks.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » March 11th, 2010, 9:00 pm

devildeac wrote:Quite a nice exchange with rmd earlier today. :D
I think I got the better of the exchange ;)

Very much looking forward to the assortment of barley wines (especially the Victory).

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Brabant, and especially to hear how much the brett comes through after a year plus. I still have two more bottles that I'm saving for a future date.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 11th, 2010, 9:10 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:Quite a nice exchange with rmd earlier today. :D
I think I got the better of the exchange ;)

Very much looking forward to the assortment of barley wines (especially the Victory).

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Brabant, and especially to hear how much the brett comes through after a year plus. I still have two more bottles that I'm saving for a future date.
Check your PM.

"I'll call it a draw."

;) :D