Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 3rd, 2010, 8:33 pm

Stone Old Guardian (barley wine)...
Nice offering from Stone in a bomber, but nothing special that really makes it stand out. Would I buy it if I saw it? Hell yeah. Just because it's not the most memorable brew you've had doesn't mean it ain't good. This is very good, a little hint of citrus underneath a green, well hopped overtone flavor. Heavy body, high ABV (11%). I'll put it this way...it's a classic barley wine...high octane brew with a sweet nose, just like it should be. DD picked this up for me at TW on a requested blind shopping trip, nice choice shopperman!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2010, 8:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Stone Old Guardian (barley wine)...
Nice offering from Stone in a bomber, but nothing special that really makes it stand out. Would I buy it if I saw it? Hell yeah. Just because it's not the most memorable brew you've had doesn't mean it ain't good. This is very good, a little hint of citrus underneath a green, well hopped overtone flavor. Heavy body, high ABV (11%). I'll put it this way...it's a classic barley wine...high octane brew with a sweet nose, just like it should be. DD picked this up for me at TW on a requested blind shopping trip, nice choice shopperman!
Save the 2nd one and have it next year to taste how it ages. Betcha can't do it... ;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 4th, 2010, 9:00 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:CB&B: If you just happen to be reading this thread, I finally found some Breck Vanilla Porter so I'll save you 1 or 2. ;) :D
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter-from the label: remarkable; original mountain recipe; seldom seen, never duplicated; partakable-Very distinctive brew. A fairly classic porter brewed with vanilla beans but not overpowering. Lots of dark, roasty flavors with a nice chocolate finish. Mild hop bitterness and tons of dark and chocolate malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 and the ABV about 5% so pleasant for dessert by itself or, ohioguy recently posted, with a scoop of vanilla or almond ice cream as a beer float. Sip on one of these slightly chilled with some brownies or CCC. Very smooth.
I happened to be reading this thread, and found one in my fridge...imagine that. =))
Great trader from DD..I back everything up you said except for the amount of dark malts. Moderate amount of dark malts, just enough to give the porter it's classic deep brown color, and happily not enough to overpower the flavor. Gotta love the old timey label too...it's "partakable"!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 4th, 2010, 9:07 pm

My goodness. Yumm, Beer!, is so close to post 1600. Who's going to PW to the goal? Surely not DD, CB& B-) or BONES. :)) :)) EJ, want to do a poll? =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 4th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Voodoo Vator
Something somewhere, somehow, sometime, went wrong. As a brewer, I think it's pretty cool that a beer I buy is spoiled..it means I'm not too far off from what they do..the difference is they get to sell their wasted 1000 gallons, and I have to throw my 5 out. Oh well..the label looks cool..
This was actually a trader from DD...so I blame him. =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 4th, 2010, 10:34 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Voodoo Vator
Something somewhere, somehow, sometime, went wrong. As a brewer, I think it's pretty cool that a beer I buy is spoiled..it means I'm not too far off from what they do..the difference is they get to sell their wasted 1000 gallons, and I have to throw my 5 out. Oh well..the label looks cool..
P.S...I'm assuming this is spoiled..if it aint then the brewer should be hung in effigy.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » March 4th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:My goodness. Yumm, Beer!, is so close to post 1600. Who's going to PW to the goal? Surely not DD, CB& B-) or BONES. :)) :)) EJ, want to do a poll? =)) =))
Let me post another celebrity photo look alike in LTE 2.0! as it seemed to be good for a large number of PW opportunities and antics to keep me LMAO! ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 4th, 2010, 10:37 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
P.S...I'm assuming this is spoiled..if it aint then the brewer should be hung in effigy.
:-o :-o :-o I get the sense you're pouring it out! :-o :-o :-o That's alcohol abuse! :-o :-o :-o You might just get an infraction for that action, MR! Take your shirt off! :p
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 4th, 2010, 10:38 pm

cl15876 wrote: :-o :-o :-o I get the sense you're pouring it out! :-o :-o :-o That's alcohol abuse! :-o :-o :-o You might just get an infraction for that action, MR! Take your shirt off! :p
It would have been more abusive if I drank it. :ymtongue:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 4th, 2010, 10:39 pm

cl15876 wrote: :-o :-o :-o I get the sense you're pouring it out! :-o :-o :-o That's alcohol abuse! :-o :-o :-o You might just get an infraction for that action, MR! Take your shirt off! :p
It would have been more abusive if I drank it. :ymtongue:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2010, 11:02 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:CB&B: If you just happen to be reading this thread, I finally found some Breck Vanilla Porter so I'll save you 1 or 2. ;) :D
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter-from the label: remarkable; original mountain recipe; seldom seen, never duplicated; partakable-Very distinctive brew. A fairly classic porter brewed with vanilla beans but not overpowering. Lots of dark, roasty flavors with a nice chocolate finish. Mild hop bitterness and tons of dark and chocolate malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 and the ABV about 5% so pleasant for dessert by itself or, ohioguy recently posted, with a scoop of vanilla or almond ice cream as a beer float. Sip on one of these slightly chilled with some brownies or CCC. Very smooth.
I happened to be reading this thread, and found one in my fridge...imagine that. =))
Great trader from DD..I back everything up you said except for the amount of dark malts. Moderate amount of dark malts, just enough to give the porter it's classic deep brown color, and happily not enough to overpower the flavor. Gotta love the old timey label too...it's "partakable"!
From my garage to your 'fridge... ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2010, 11:04 pm

I thought mine was actually pretty good. I will admit I am too lazy to look up my review. Maybe I kept it too long but I don't think it was over a month. :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Harpoon Winter Warmer-A good starter for a Harpoon session. This is a copper-brown ale with an obvious nose of nutmeg and a hint of cinnamon. Pass the pumpkin pie or gingerbread cookies! IBU are 22 and the ABV is 5.9%, a bit higher than expected. Kind of a "me, too" winter ale but pleasant, nonetheless. A nice trader from the guy with the funny hat from Morehead City. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Harpoon Chocolate Stout-My guess is that this is the jewel of the Wintry Mix 12 pack that CB&B bought to share with others :D . Lots and lots of chocolate malt with chocolate added and an ABV of 5.9%. This has a small tan head and a deep brown color. IBU are 40 so there is a bit of hop bitterness but this one is all about dessert. Pour yourself a warm one and sip it with some chocolate cake, CCC or double/triple chocolate brownies. If you have an extra, enjoy 4-6 ounces of that one with a scoop of vanilla or butter almond ice cream for a beer float.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2010, 11:27 pm

And I am NOT trying to reach 1600 posts here by myself tonight.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 4th, 2010, 11:33 pm

devildeac wrote:And I am NOT trying to reach 1600 posts here by myself tonight.
But imagine if you were..
"Bud light...the last beer I'm reviewing this evening...

:asleep:"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 4th, 2010, 11:56 pm

Wrong thread.

:)) =))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 5th, 2010, 12:11 am

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 5th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Harpoon IPA-more trading beer. This brew is a slightly copper-yellow pour with a modest head and a bouquet of fresh flowers. It's a bit thin with the IBU at only 42, but this keeps it from becoming too bitter, which may be more appealing to some. Three malts give it a nice balance and I had it with a late supper of TJ's vegetable lasagna and it was a nice combination. The ABV is 5.9% so this is the 3rd Harpoon ale with that clocked in with that #. Nice beer for a session and I'm gonna have a Mad Hatter for the nightcap as I pack ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 6th, 2010, 8:07 am

BTTT

Some moron bumped this to page 2 last PM with some redickulous new topics...

:ymblushing: