Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 28th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Rogue John John Ale.....

Megahoppy supersweetness in a bottle.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 1st, 2010, 12:43 pm

Harpoon Munich Dark-A trader. A lager. A dark (dunkel) brown beverage with a modest head, light on the hops (IBU are 35) and moderate on the ABV at 5.5%. The chocolate and black malts (a guess) win and give this dark brown sugar tasting brew notes of cocoa and dark bread. You could have this with stews or BBQ entrees or even dessert if it was brownies or chocolate/caramel cake. Not enough body for a beer float. This is almost dark and rich enough to be a porter. Thanks to CB&B for this selection.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 1st, 2010, 5:02 pm

Me thinks we need a CB&B picture of a beer trading/tasting event! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 1st, 2010, 5:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Me thinks we need a CB&B picture of a beer trading/tasting event! :D
I pointed this out to DD this weekend, we can use this bottle and a couple hundred tasting cups and tasters.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm

Morehead City Honey Brown Ale-about 4-5 months old now and a bit smoother and softer. The sweetness of the honey and the dark malts has rounded out nicely. I liked this at the 30 and 60 day samplings, IIRC, and like it even better now. Little hop aroma/taste and lots of cocoa and toffee. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV to be 5-6%. Good as part of a session or with stews or grilled BBQ entrees. Hopefully, we'll see/taste this with some pork/beef/wings during a Brunchgate this year :whistle: .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 7:48 pm

Mother Earth Sisters of the Moon IPA...
Gotta give a shout out for my first tasting of NC's newest brewery. Mother Earth is in Kinston, and started up last fall. I had guessed with DD that they were pub supply only, but they do sell in bottles. This IPA is good offering, but it has some flaws. The first is clarity..of which there is none. Poured into a glass, it looks like a wheat beer, with lots of haze. It doesn't affect the taste, but as a brewer myself it stands out as a no-no. Nice golden color, moderate head with good retention, and a fair but not great bite. (At least only fair for an IPA...if it were only a pale ale it would be more acceptable). I'm guessing high 6% for ABV, IBU of 40-50? Placing the nitpicking aside, they really did a good job with this, and being a young brewery I would expect them to be refining their recipe. If you see it, buy it, support an NC startup. I hope to see them more, this weekend was the first I've found of them. As they say on the bottle.."Peace, Love & Beer".
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 2nd, 2010, 8:33 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Mother Earth Sisters of the Moon IPA...
Gotta give a shout out for my first tasting of NC's newest brewery. Mother Earth is in Kinston, and started up last fall. I had guessed with DD that they were pub supply only, but they do sell in bottles. This IPA is good offering, but it has some flaws. The first is clarity..of which there is none. Poured into a glass, it looks like a wheat beer, with lots of haze. It doesn't affect the taste, but as a brewer myself it stands out as a no-no. Nice golden color, moderate head with good retention, and a fair but not great bite. (At least only fair for an IPA...if it were only a pale ale it would be more acceptable). I'm guessing high 6% for ABV, IBU of 40-50? Placing the nitpicking aside, they really did a good job with this, and being a young brewery I would expect them to be refining their recipe. If you see it, buy it, support an NC startup. I hope to see them more, this weekend was the first I've found of them. As they say on the bottle.."Peace, Love & Beer".
Cool! Their website indicates that they're at the HarrisTeeter and at A Tavola (one block from my office) here in Greenville. I'll pick some up for 8-X and the rest of you if you're interested.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 9:18 pm

CathyCA wrote: I'll pick some up for 8-X and the rest of you if you're interested.
:-BD
I'll keep an eye out at my HT..in fact I'll ask the manager..I just found out he's a huge Dukie. He has his whole office plastered in Duke shit...it's a nice view from the checkout line.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » March 2nd, 2010, 9:51 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote: I'll pick some up for 8-X and the rest of you if you're interested.
I'll keep an eye out at my HT..in fact I'll ask the manager..I just found out he's a huge Dukie. He has his whole office plastered in Duke shit...it's a nice view from the checkout line.
That is a double :-BD :-BD :x I'll get you a Corona! ;)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 2nd, 2010, 9:54 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Okay, but wait until after Easter. I've given up beer for Lent.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 2nd, 2010, 10:01 pm

CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:"quote="CathyCA""I'll pick some up for 8-X and the rest of you if you're interested."/quote"
Okay, but wait until after Easter. I've given up beer for Lent.
You bet! ;) I'll give hugs and kisses until then! :ymhug: :-* :animals-bunnywhite:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 10:02 pm

CathyCA wrote: Okay, but wait until after Easter. I've given up beer for Lent.
I couldn't do that. I've given up crack. :twitch:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 2nd, 2010, 10:02 pm

CathyCA wrote: Okay, but wait until after Easter. I've given up beer for Lent.
I couldn't do that. I've given up crack. :twitch:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2010, 10:17 pm

Discussed previously:

Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston, NC)-Sisters of the Moon IPA-draft tasting at The Pit a couple weeks ago. A nicely hopped IPA with a bit of grapefruit and a bit of spruce tastes. Good malty balance in a golden, clean pour. I only had an ounce or so but thought it would be a good choice with the chopped 'cue, the beef brisket and the fried chicken. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV was 6.1%. Note: CB&B-you may wanna see what this brewery has on your way through Kinston some time when you are heading to the Triangle. Hey, 8-x could stop by on his way to/from G-ville, too

from 12/09/09. Mine was on draught. ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 10:20 pm

devildeac wrote:
Discussed previously:

Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston, NC)-Sisters of the Moon IPA-draft tasting at The Pit a couple weeks ago. A nicely hopped IPA with a bit of grapefruit and a bit of spruce tastes. Good malty balance in a golden, clean pour. I only had an ounce or so but thought it would be a good choice with the chopped 'cue, the beef brisket and the fried chicken. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV was 6.1%. Note: CB&B-you may wanna see what this brewery has on your way through Kinston some time when you are heading to the Triangle. Hey, 8-x could stop by on his way to/from G-ville, too

I'd love to see the real stats..you went higher on the IBU, I went higher on the ABV. Of course we both had different experiences as well..I'd love to try it from the tap.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2010, 10:25 pm

devildeac wrote:
Discussed previously:

I'd love to see the real stats..you went higher on the IBU, I went higher on the ABV. Of course we both had different experiences as well..I'd love to try it from the tap.
The ABV was from the menu at The Pit. The IBU was a guess. I have not checked their website.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2010, 10:38 pm

Chicory Stout-DFH-I had forgotten how simple, yet how good this beer is and CB&B reminded me with a trader this weekend and I have enjoyed it tonight. A nearly black brew with a light tan head that had roasted chicory and organic Mexican coffee added in addition to the chocolate and black malts. I'm not sure the IBU are that high and I'd guess 30-40 'cuz the bitterness comes from the coffee and chicory. The ABV is 5.2%. The dark malty balance is very well done. This could be used in cooking stews or chili or as a beverage to sip with either. It would be great with game or brisket. I am gonna move on to the homebrewed oatmeal stout now as it is about 35 degrees and it just feels like a stout night.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 10:44 pm

devildeac wrote:Chicory Stout-DFH-I had forgotten how simple, yet how good this beer is and CB&B reminded me with a trader this weekend and I have enjoyed it tonight. A nearly black brew with a light tan head that had roasted chicory and organic Mexican coffee added in addition to the chocolate and black malts. I'm not sure the IBU are that high and I'd guess 30-40 'cuz the bitterness comes from the coffee and chicory. The ABV is 5.2%. The dark malty balance is very well done. This could be used in cooking stews or chili or as a beverage to sip with either. It would be great with game or brisket. I am gonna move on to the homebrewed oatmeal stout now as it is about 35 degrees and it just feels like a stout night.
It does feel like a stout night..and I realized after I came home from our beerventure that I went predominately dark..lotta stouts and porters. So I'm breaking them up with a 12 pack of Corona. It's like eating a piece of key lime pie at a chocolate cake buffet.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2010, 11:33 pm

devildeac wrote:Chicory Stout-DFH-I had forgotten how simple, yet how good this beer is and CB&B reminded me with a trader this weekend and I have enjoyed it tonight. A nearly black brew with a light tan head that had roasted chicory and organic Mexican coffee added in addition to the chocolate and black malts. I'm not sure the IBU are that high and I'd guess 30-40 'cuz the bitterness comes from the coffee and chicory. The ABV is 5.2%. The dark malty balance is very well done. This could be used in cooking stews or chili or as a beverage to sip with either. It would be great with game or brisket. I am gonna move on to the homebrewed oatmeal stout now as it is about 35 degrees and it just feels like a stout night.
It does feel like a stout night..and I realized after I came home from our beerventure that I went predominately dark..lotta stouts and porters. So I'm breaking them up with a 12 pack of Corona. It's like eating a piece of key lime pie at a chocolate cake buffet.
Corona?

WTH?

That's more like eating pre-packaged rice pudding at a chocolate cake buffet. :tease:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2010, 11:38 pm

Morehead City Oatmeal Stout-This one is about 3-4 months old-I lost count :ymblushing: . The medium tan head did not last long so I was worried but the 1st sip relaxed me as it was just about as expected with an aroma of light roast coffee, dark cocoa and lotsa chocolate and black malts. The oatmeal makes this very smooth with an estimated IBU of 40-50 and a modest ABV of probably 6%. Like the Chicory Stout, this would be good with game and spicy BBQ stuff, especially a brisket. This was a nice combination for the evening.