The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 19th, 2022, 10:25 am

While one person won't make a difference in the new GOP majority of the House, there isn't lots of wiggle room.
That room might get even more cramped if this guy is forced to step aside for making up his past. And it looks like he made up a rather large chunk of it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-elect-ge ... 33319.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » December 19th, 2022, 11:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 10:25 am
While one person won't make a difference in the new GOP majority of the House, there isn't lots of wiggle room.
That room might get even more cramped if this guy is forced to step aside for making up his past. And it looks like he made up a rather large chunk of it.

One wonders if he will be forced to step aside.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 19th, 2022, 11:55 am

Phredd3 wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 11:36 am

You can count on there being lots of pressure to do so.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » December 19th, 2022, 12:08 pm

December 19th, 2022, 11:55 am
Phredd3 wrote:

I'm sure from the Dem side there will be. Alas, Republicans seem disinclined to discipline those within their own ranks these days, and they do hold the majority. This strikes me as something that will be pushed aside with pooh-poohs like "who really cares, it's just a résumé". I think there's a whole lot wrong with that, but I have little faith in Republican fortitude to do what's right.

We will see, but I'm not holding my breath.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 19th, 2022, 11:04 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 12:08 pm
December 19th, 2022, 11:55 am
Phredd3 wrote:

I'm sure from the Dem side there will be. Alas, Republicans seem disinclined to discipline those within their own ranks these days, and they do hold the majority. This strikes me as something that will be pushed aside with pooh-poohs like "who really cares, it's just a résumé". I think there's a whole lot wrong with that, but I have little faith in Republican fortitude to do what's right.

We will see, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yup. With the Republicans taking over the House, this will be ignored, or slowly drawn out. This guy sounds like a total sketch ball. I vaguely remember seeing a local profile of this race (he is in the same TV market as me). It's not just one or two little things - the list of issues is extremely long. You would think there would be a few Republicans in the House who will show some morals but I'm not counting on it - they will be too busy obsessing over getting even via Hunter and other issues critical to our nation.

It is embarrassing to the Democratic party that for what was a relatively closely contested House race, no one did some basic research on the Republican candidate - a lot of this seems like pretty low hanging fruit and it isn't like this is someone running for the neighborhood dog catcher. Also, Tom Suozzi, a fairly popular relatively moderate Democrat, previously held this seat (though much of it was redrawn) but decided to give it up to make a completely hopeless run for governor where he got killed in the primary. If he had run to hold his seat, he would have had a better chance to win, plus likely would have put together a more competent campaign team that might have found some of this information.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 20th, 2022, 9:59 am

(Santos) may have misled voters about his college graduation and his purported career on Wall Street and omitted details about his business from financial disclosures forms.
That last part could have legal ramifications if true. Normally he'd at least likely be facing the Ethics Committee, but in a GOP controlled House that's a joke.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-santo ... 08826.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 21st, 2022, 5:58 pm

While some New Yorkers may be willing to look away from Santos' current resume issues with a blind eye, it doesn't seem like the kind of state that would support lying about one's Jewish heritage.
Now a new report from independent Jewish publication Forward has added yet another scandal to Santos' plate, as he appears to not even be Jewish.

During his campaign for Congress, Santos claimed to be the grandson of Ukrainian Jews who fled persecution in World War II and settled in Brazil.
However, Forward did extensive research on Santos' family history and could find no evidence at all that his grandparents were Jews -- and it also found that they settled in Brazil long before World War II broke out.
:Boo: :Boo:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/re ... 8e0c040ce8
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 21st, 2022, 11:55 pm

December 21st, 2022, 5:58 pm
While some New Yorkers may be willing to look away from Santos' current resume issues with a blind eye, it doesn't seem like the kind of state that would support lying about one's Jewish heritage.
Now a new report from independent Jewish publication Forward has added yet another scandal to Santos' plate, as he appears to not even be Jewish.

During his campaign for Congress, Santos claimed to be the grandson of Ukrainian Jews who fled persecution in World War II and settled in Brazil.
However, Forward did extensive research on Santos' family history and could find no evidence at all that his grandparents were Jews -- and it also found that they settled in Brazil long before World War II broke out.
:Boo: :Boo:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/re ... 8e0c040ce8
He just claimed to be Jewish for the jokes...

This guy is a pathological liar. Did he say anything true? This probably would not be top of the list of something an opposition research person would check but his opponent's staff really missed the ball here. I'm not sure if it is true but I saw somewhere today that some tiny Republican newsletter in the area thought he was really sketchy and endorsed the Democrat because they didn't trust him. Unfortunately, they didn't get the word out well so no one followed up on their questions.

It is still very early so I'm not going to pass judgement yet on the Republicans for not acting on this, but I have a feeling that nothing will happen or it will be a long, drawn out process. If this was a more solidly red district, they might be more willing to throw him under the bus because then they could definitely replace him with another Republican. This District is pretty purple so they might not want to take that chance - as I mentioned above, much of it is Suozzi's old district (it got redrawn for this election) so he could potentially jump back in if he is interested - he is a fairly moderate Democrat.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » December 22nd, 2022, 11:28 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 21st, 2022, 11:55 pm

Are you saying he’s an anti-dentite?
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 22nd, 2022, 10:51 pm

OPK wrote:
December 22nd, 2022, 11:28 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

My late grandfather was a Jewish dentist who is buried in a cemetery that might be in his district...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 23rd, 2022, 9:02 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 22nd, 2022, 10:51 pm
OPK wrote:
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

My late grandfather was a Jewish dentist who is buried in a cemetery that might be in his district...
Did he vote in 2022? Those cemetery folks tend to lean Democrat.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 23rd, 2022, 10:01 am

December 23rd, 2022, 9:02 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 22nd, 2022, 10:51 pm
OPK wrote:

Did he vote in 2022? Those cemetery folks tend to lean Democrat.
I'm guessing a Jewish cemetery is very Democrat, though not sure how much leaning they do...

He died in roughly 1976 and has been voting early and often ever since.

Has there been any update on the Georgia case against Trump? It seemed to be moving along and I haven't heard anything in a while.
OPK

Post by OPK » December 23rd, 2022, 12:27 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 23rd, 2022, 10:01 am

Has there been any update on the Georgia case against Trump? It seemed to be moving along and I haven't heard anything in a while.
My *understanding* is that the special grand jury is writing their report. The DA wants it released before the end of the year, so I *expect* to hear something very soon.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 24th, 2022, 1:15 pm

OPK wrote:
December 23rd, 2022, 12:27 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

My *understanding* is that the special grand jury is writing their report. The DA wants it released before the end of the year, so I *expect* to hear something very soon.
For us non lawyer folks, here's the plan.
The grand jurors are expected to produce a final report with recommendations on potential further action. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney, who’s supervising the panel, will review the report and recommend to the court's chief judge that the special grand jury be dissolved. The judges of the county Superior Court will then vote on whether to let the special grand jurors go or whether more investigation is necessary.

The special grand jury cannot issue indictments. Willis will decide whether to go to a regular grand jury to pursue criminal charges.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-spec ... 02882.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 24th, 2022, 4:26 pm

December 24th, 2022, 1:15 pm
OPK wrote:
December 23rd, 2022, 12:27 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

For us non lawyer folks, here's the plan.
The grand jurors are expected to produce a final report with recommendations on potential further action. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney, who’s supervising the panel, will review the report and recommend to the court's chief judge that the special grand jury be dissolved. The judges of the county Superior Court will then vote on whether to let the special grand jurors go or whether more investigation is necessary.

The special grand jury cannot issue indictments. Willis will decide whether to go to a regular grand jury to pursue criminal charges.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-spec ... 02882.html
Thanks. Then how many more years will that take? This is really ridiculous. I'm all for due process but this is not a parking ticket - this is a president trying to overthrow an election. Hurry up.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 27th, 2022, 4:53 pm

I'm guessing he gets sworn in, but how long will he last? (I'm putting odds of making it to the swearing in at 90%) George Santos has got to be sweating pretty hard now as it looks as some of his outright lies may have legal consequences.
Even Letitia James has expressed interest. If you are drawing her attention away from Trump, that's not good for you.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/with-campaig ... 51195.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 27th, 2022, 6:39 pm

December 27th, 2022, 4:53 pm
I'm guessing he gets sworn in, but how long will he last? (I'm putting odds of making it to the swearing in at 90%) George Santos has got to be sweating pretty hard now as it looks as some of his outright lies may have legal consequences.
Even Letitia James has expressed interest. If you are drawing her attention away from Trump, that's not good for you.
With a Republican majority in the House, nothing will happen. Or they will slow play it. And as we have seen with the Trump cases, these things take forever to move through the legal system. So he will likely get his full two year term. It is really sad.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 27th, 2022, 7:53 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 6:39 pm
With a Republican majority in the House, nothing will happen. Or they will slow play it. And as we have seen with the Trump cases, these things take forever to move through the legal system. So he will likely get his full two year term. It is really sad.
Legal entities don't care who is in control. Just a thought. Of course there won't be any "Ethics Committee" action, but he's likely facing folks outside of Congress.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 27th, 2022, 8:07 pm

December 27th, 2022, 7:53 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 6:39 pm
Legal entities don't care who is in control. Just a thought. Of course there won't be any "Ethics Committee" action, but he's likely facing folks outside of Congress.
Totally agree. But look how long the court cases against Trump are taking.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 27th, 2022, 8:15 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 8:07 pm
Totally agree. But look how long the court cases against Trump are taking.
Different entity. Look how briefly it took the courts to kick Kari Lake to the curb. Santos is a nobody, without money. It's more than that he doesn't have Trump's resources, it's that he's basically broke. (And deeply in debt to at least one landlord.) He will be disposed of fairly quickly.