Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » November 28th, 2022, 10:42 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 1:51 pm
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who traffics in election denialism is a traitor to our country.
Preach.

Oh, and we just set another record for early voting down here. About a quarter of a million voters today:

https://twitter.com/wjbf/status/1597432 ... W3aZFdKV1Q
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 28th, 2022, 11:11 pm

OPK wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 10:42 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 1:51 pm
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who traffics in election denialism is a traitor to our country.
Preach.

Oh, and we just set another record for early voting down here. About a quarter of a million voters today:

https://twitter.com/wjbf/status/1597432 ... W3aZFdKV1Q
I'm back. And I think Wheat is now on holiday. So all is right in the world.

As much as it is good that the Dems have the Senate locked for now, this is still an election whose result lasts six years, so it matters a lot. And I will also sleep at night knowing that we aren't one tragedy away from Republican control.

Is it non-stop election advertising on TV on GA? Or is it like some of my social media feeds which seem to be non-stop erection advertising?
OPK

Post by OPK » November 28th, 2022, 11:24 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 11:11 pm
Is it non-stop election advertising on TV on GA? Or is it like some of my social media feeds which seem to be non-stop erection advertising?
Is there a difference?

Yeah, it’s hot and heavy here. From my perspective, I just really hope that my state is not so fucked up that it sends an objectively unqualified candidate like Herschel to represent us. I was really happy that our voters soundly rejected MAGA election deniers up and down the line. This is still a red state, purpling but basically most elections are the Rs’ to lose. I will not be sad to see this dumb fuck lose and hope that the Rs put up a reasonable option to at least have an honest debate in six years.

Having said that, Warnock has done a good job for the state and is not a radical despite what the commercials say. I’ll take six years of him over whatever the hell Herschel stands for (except his bold pro-werewolf, anti-vampire stance — it’s about time someone took a stand on this).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 28th, 2022, 11:34 pm

Lots of reports out today in both print and video about how today is record breaking in Georgia. That's not only exciting as a political junkie, but likely bad news if your name is Herschel Walker
I'm guessing, with a huge emphasis on "guess", that Warnock will win by two or three points, and I'm being conservative, but at the same time, I'm gonna emphasize "guess" and say it's a tossup.

I guess.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 28th, 2022, 11:37 pm

OPK wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 11:24 pm
Having said that, Warnock has done a good job for the state and is not a radical
That tends to be a winning formula for a lasting political career.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 29th, 2022, 7:15 am

My dad, an avid Faux News viewer, says that “Walker’s opponent is a thug.” Seems to me like he has the candidates mixed up.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 29th, 2022, 7:21 am

OPK wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 11:24 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 11:11 pm
Is there a difference?

Yeah, it’s hot and heavy here. From my perspective, I just really hope that my state is not so fucked up ....
I mean, I don't even know if this was intentional phrasing, but that's good, solid work.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 30th, 2022, 3:26 pm

New Trump campaign rule. He needs a babysitter at all times.
I'm not making this up.
Former President Donald Trump's team is putting new measures in place to try to reduce the number of scandals he gets into, per the Associated Press.

A senior official from the Trump campaign will accompany the former president at all times, a source familiar with the plans told the AP. In addition, the Trump 2024 campaign is also planning to vet and approve every single person who meets with Trump.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/senior-offic ... 24347.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 30th, 2022, 10:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 3:26 pm
I'm not making this up.
Former President Donald Trump's team is putting new measures in place to try to reduce the number of scandals he gets into, per the Associated Press.

A senior official from the Trump campaign will accompany the former president at all times, a source familiar with the plans told the AP. In addition, the Trump 2024 campaign is also planning to vet and approve every single person who meets with Trump.
They just thought of this now? I'm guessing it will be a very frustrating job. I also think it is going to be a very pretty piece of arm candy.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 30th, 2022, 10:26 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:02 pm
They just thought of this now? I'm guessing it will be a very frustrating job.
I think it will be very short lived. Just like his campaign.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » December 1st, 2022, 10:45 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 10:02 pm
November 30th, 2022, 3:26 pm
I'm not making this up.

They just thought of this now? I'm guessing it will be a very frustrating job. I also think it is going to be a very pretty piece of arm candy.
I'm pretty sure this was tried before, and Trump more or less overruled his handlers so they gave up.
OPK

Post by OPK » December 1st, 2022, 5:48 pm

11th Circuit vacates Judge Cannon’s appointment of a special master in the MAL document case, as expected. Slap-down of the judge too.

Indictment coming before Valentines Day?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 1st, 2022, 5:54 pm

OPK wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 5:48 pm
11th Circuit vacates Judge Cannon’s appointment of a special master in the MAL document case, as expected. Slap-down of the judge too.

Oh wow, that's awesome. I'm assuming they'll be appealing to the SCOTUS, but I can't picture an overturn (if they even give it the time of day) given recent history.
OPK

Post by OPK » December 1st, 2022, 6:03 pm

December 1st, 2022, 5:54 pm
OPK wrote:

Oh wow, that's awesome. I'm assuming they'll be appealing to the SCOTUS, but I can't picture an overturn (if they even give it the time of day) given recent history.
Yeah, probably will (1) ask the 11th Circuit to reconsider “en banc” (i.e. all the judges, not just this three judge panel); and (2) when that fails, ask SCOTUS to overturn. None of this will work.
OPK

Post by OPK » December 1st, 2022, 8:06 pm

This is what a legal beat down of a party and lower court reads like from an appellate court:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/ ... 9/full.pdf
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 1st, 2022, 8:09 pm

OPK wrote:

It's too bad that in the process they can't disbar the judge in Florida (who I believe is a Duke alum). From what I read they basically called her a moron without calling her a moron.

Hopefully if this is appealed other courts will move quickly on it.

What is happening in the GA case against Trump? That seemed to be moving along until it wasn't.
OPK

Post by OPK » December 1st, 2022, 8:20 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 8:09 pm
OPK wrote:

It's too bad that in the process they can't disbar the judge in Florida (who I believe is a Duke alum). From what I read they basically called her a moron without calling her a moron.

What is happening in the GA case against Trump? That seemed to be moving along until it wasn't.
As for the judge in Florida, I disagree with her decision but I see where she is coming from. She is wrong but I don’t think she is acting in bad faith like she has been portrayed. Just a hunch, no personal knowledge.

As for Fulton County, the special grand jury has to end by 12/31 IIRC so the DA should get a recommendation from them in the next few weeks. They will certainly recommend multiple indictments. Less clear whether Trump will be one of them but I would bet they recommend it. Not sure if/when that will be public.

They have been lying relatively low publicly because we are still having elections here (runoff is Tuesday thankfully!)
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 1st, 2022, 8:25 pm

OPK wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 8:20 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 8:09 pm
OPK wrote:

As for the judge in Florida, I disagree with her decision but I see where she is coming from. She is wrong but I don’t think she is acting in bad faith like she has been portrayed. Just a hunch, no personal knowledge.

As for Fulton County, the special grand jury has to end by 12/31 IIRC so the DA should get a recommendation from them in the next few weeks. They will certainly recommend multiple indictments. Less clear whether Trump will be one of them but I would bet they recommend it. Not sure if/when that will be public.

They have been lying relatively low publicly because we are still having elections here (runoff is Tuesday thankfully!)
There's an election in Georgia? I had no idea =))

Thanks for the update. Helpful as always...
OPK

Post by OPK » December 1st, 2022, 9:10 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 8:25 pm

There's an election in Georgia? I had no idea =))

Thanks for the update. Helpful as always...
Yeah, we’ve got a Texan former football player running against a Georgia preacher. Odd times.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 2nd, 2022, 7:26 am

Asa Hutchinson (current Arkansas Governor) met with advisors to discuss a possible run for the presidency. I’ve gotta say, he’s far more reasonable than others who are throwing their hat into the ring. From what I’ve observed, he’s pretty pragmatic. He is definitely better than DeSantis.
I chose this article because it mentions his experience aside from being Governor. I had forgotten all of it, but I think he could be an attractive candidate. This article also mentions that Tom Cotton has decided against running. That’s good news. He is as repulsive as Josh Hawley IMO.
https://www.4029tv.com/article/asa-hut ... t/41968138
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein