Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 2:40 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I have also seen the Ommegang Biere de Mars in a 750 ml bottle. About $16. I passed. I like their stuff. A lot. But not at ~$8/12.7 ounce serving. :(( :((

Great list though. Thanks for sharing.
$16 for a 750 is out of my price range as well. I had their Adoration this year and it was about $10 for a 750..still steep but I'll try one or two on that list at that price...
Ditto for me on the price. I view it like wine...I'll spend 7-10 bucks on a bottle, but rarely more. So unless it's something that is just really different (like a 120 Minute or Olde School), I don't see the value.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » February 17th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Victory Hop Wallop--Might have reviewed this one in the past but a new batch has made its way up to this area and I grabbed a 6 pack pack which I cracked open last night. Pours a nice dark straw color. Huge hop kick with lots of pine and grapefruit. Bitter bite throughout but crisp and refreshing. I had a DFH 90 minute over the weekend and the hop wallop definitely lacks the malt balance of the 90 but I actually prefer it (this may also be due to a winter of drinking mainly stouts and old ales). One of my favorite IIPAs...8.5% ABV..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 3:24 pm

bluebear wrote:Victory Hop Wallop--Might have reviewed this one in the past but a new batch has made its way up to this area and I grabbed a 6 pack pack which I cracked open last night. Pours a nice dark straw color. Huge hop kick with lots of pine and grapefruit. Bitter bite throughout but crisp and refreshing. I had a DFH 90 minute over the weekend and the hop wallop definitely lacks the malt balance of the 90 but I actually prefer it (this may also be due to a winter of drinking mainly stouts and old ales). One of my favorite IIPAs...8.5% ABV..
Hop Wallop is just a fun beer, although if I have a sixer, I have to spread them out over a few days.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 17th, 2010, 3:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:Victory Hop Wallop--Might have reviewed this one in the past but a new batch has made its way up to this area and I grabbed a 6 pack pack which I cracked open last night. Pours a nice dark straw color. Huge hop kick with lots of pine and grapefruit. Bitter bite throughout but crisp and refreshing. I had a DFH 90 minute over the weekend and the hop wallop definitely lacks the malt balance of the 90 but I actually prefer it (this may also be due to a winter of drinking mainly stouts and old ales). One of my favorite IIPAs...8.5% ABV..
Hop Wallop is just a fun beer, although if I have a sixer, I have to spread them out over a few days.
agree completely..I'll stretch out this 6 pack over the next month for days where I want something really really hoppy...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2010, 6:50 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I have also seen the Ommegang Biere de Mars in a 750 ml bottle. About $16. I passed. I like their stuff. A lot. But not at ~$8/12.7 ounce serving. :(( :((

Great list though. Thanks for sharing.
$16 for a 750 is out of my price range as well. I had their Adoration this year and it was about $10 for a 750..still steep but I'll try one or two on that list at that price...
Ditto for me on the price. I view it like wine...I'll spend 7-10 bucks on a bottle, but rarely more. So unless it's something that is just really different (like a 120 Minute or Olde School), I don't see the value.
I'll go to about $12 for a bomber or 750 ml bottle, especially if it's 10-12% ABV and then divide it over 3 nights instead of 2. Or share it with 2 other people. Or more at a Brunchgate ;) :D . I agree about the 120 IPA or the World Wide Stout at about $10 for a 12 ounce bottle. With those, I'll have 3-4 ounces per night and cork the bottle, enjoying it over 3-4 nights. Most of the wines I'll buy are also about $10/bottle and I'll always go to the Wine Merchant or Harris Teeter during one of their 15% off sales instead of the usual 10% discount/case.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Haven't had one of these in over a year. Might be the time to put a 6er in the cellar ;) :D .

What do you think of Old Horizontal?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 6:54 pm

I bought Harpoon's winter sampler tonight (on sale at Harris Teeter)..interesting, yet nice mix. 6 Beers, including an IPA (tasted, very good), a regular pale ale, a chocolate stout..and some others that I'm too lazy to go look up. It's been a long time since I've tried Harpoon..but from the IPA, I expect good things. 2 bottles of each included, I'll review the better of them.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 17th, 2010, 7:29 pm

devildeac wrote:
Haven't had one of these in over a year. Might be the time to put a 6er in the cellar ;) :D .

What do you think of Old Horizontal?
Old Horizontal is my favorite barleywine. I have a small stash of it in my basement from last year but have yet to find any around this year :-s
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 7:35 pm

bluebear wrote: I have a small stash of it in my basement from last year but have yet to find any around this year :-s
OH is one of my favorite DD traders.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 17th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Has anyone had Victory St. Victorious? I've never seen this one before but grabbed a few bottles of it today. Was planning on giving it a try tonight though I may be forced to drink something more bitter if the 2nd half is not better than the 1st..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2010, 9:14 pm

bluebear wrote:Has anyone had Victory St. Victorious? I've never seen this one before but grabbed a few bottles of it today. Was planning on giving it a try tonight though I may be forced to drink something more bitter if the 2nd half is not better than the 1st..
I didn't think they bottled that beer. Victory makes damn good stuff.
You can save one for your fall Brunchgate trip :D .
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » February 17th, 2010, 9:16 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: Ditto for me on the price. I view it like wine...I'll spend 7-10 bucks on a bottle, but rarely more. So unless it's something that is just really different (like a 120 Minute or Olde School), I don't see the value.
I just found a store with a stash of 120 Minute bottled in November 2008. I already have a bottle from that month, but I may stock up on a few more.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2010, 10:16 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Ditto for me on the price. I view it like wine...I'll spend 7-10 bucks on a bottle, but rarely more. So unless it's something that is just really different (like a 120 Minute or Olde School), I don't see the value.
I just found a store with a stash of 120 Minute bottled in November 2008. I already have a bottle from that month, but I may stock up on a few more.
A wise move. Now you can one every 6 months or so for the next few years :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 18th, 2010, 8:54 pm

New Holland Dragon's Milk
I picked this up while meeting 8-X in New Bern. I got a bomber at $8. Really an interesting brew, it's an oak barrell aged high gravity ale. 10%ABV, it's a rich plum color, tan head. Esthers are high, banana flavors and spice stand out, as well as caramel. The body is creamy smooth. The sharp aroma gives away the rich alchohol content. I enjoyed half last night during the game, and I'm having the other half this evening. High recommendation from me. :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 19th, 2010, 8:09 pm

I heading to a different Total Wine in Raleigh tomorrow to see what they might have different than my usual stop about 3.5 miles from my house.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

devildeac wrote:I heading to a different Total Wine in Raleigh tomorrow to see what they might have different than my usual stop about 3.5 miles from my house.
I love hitting new stores. I'm pretty sure 8-X was surprised with the selection of my homebrew supply shop. Not much to choose from, but he stocks very uniquely and always has something new.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 19th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Auld Asheville Vintage Ale-15th Anniversary Ale-Highlands Brewing Company-An old ale in the English sense/style with a ton of English malts, British yeast and Styrian Bobek hops (I wonder if K is recruiting this kid?). The best comparison is an imperial ESB with some toffee and milk chocolate notes and a slightly peaty/smoky overtone. Dark brown, but not opaque, and clean. Modest head, a bit of spiciness and a great winter ale with some smoked cheeses or meats. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40 and the ABV is 9.5% so I split this bomber over a couple nights this week. Found this at Total Wine for about $7-8.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 19th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I'm thinking Goose Island Christmas Ale tonight...
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 19th, 2010, 8:24 pm

devildeac wrote:I heading to a different Total Wine in Raleigh tomorrow to see what they might have different than my usual stop about 3.5 miles from my house.
I love hitting new stores. I'm pretty sure 8-X was surprised with the selection of my homebrew supply shop. Not much to choose from, but he stocks very uniquely and always has something new.
I too love hitting new stores. The homebrew place actually was a pretty cool place! True, the pickings were not of a total wine caliber, but all the same it was a very cool place. I don't think I'm ready to start brewing my own beer yet, but I could easily take it up as a hobby and have a lot of fun experimenting with various tastes! :-BD
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 19th, 2010, 8:27 pm

devildeac wrote:I'm thinking Goose Island Christmas Ale tonight...
I've got the Harpoon Chocolate Stout on deck..been anxious to try it. They have a winter ale in the pack too that I haven't tasted yet.