Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 10th, 2010, 8:35 pm

devildeac wrote:Stovepipe Porter-Otter Creek-A well-brewed traditional porter with a deep brown hue, light tan head and some milk chocolate and expresso tastes and aromas. Bitterness is mild at 30 IBU and I'd estimate the ABV to be about 5%. Would be wonderful in/with stews, game or as an after dinner drink, with some chocolate or a scoop of vanilla or almond ice cream as a beer float. I'd love to find more of their brews down here as I have wonderful memories of the IIPA 8-X brought to one of the Brunchgates.
FORGET THE BEER!! IT'S GAME NIGHT. THE BIGGEST THIS SEASON. GO DUKE! :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 10th, 2010, 8:38 pm

But you can drink the beer while you watch our guys play their best game this season. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 11th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Just got back from a cool trading session with 8-X . We met at the brew shop that I buy my supplies from. We split a 6 pack of Mad Hatter...which if I've had it's been a long time, and a 6 of Modus Hoperandi, which neither of us have seen before. He got a bomber of Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and I picked up a bomber of New Holland's Dragon's Milk (also an oak aged ale). 1 each of the Mad Hatter and Hoperandi will land in DD's trader collection.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2010, 11:13 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just got back from a cool trading session with 8-X . We met at the brew shop that I buy my supplies from. We split a 6 pack of Mad Hatter...which if I've had it's been a long time, and a 6 of Modus Hoperandi, which neither of us have seen before. He got a bomber of Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and I picked up a bomber of New Holland's Dragon's Milk (also an oak aged ale). 1 each of the Mad Hatter and Hoperandi will land in DD's trader collection.
=p~
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2010, 11:21 pm

devildeac wrote:CB&B: If you just happen to be reading this thread, I finally found some Breck Vanilla Porter so I'll save you 1 or 2. ;) :D
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter-from the label: remarkable; original mountain recipe; seldom seen, never duplicated; partakable-Very distinctive brew. A fairly classic porter brewed with vanilla beans but not overpowering. Lots of dark, roasty flavors with a nice chocolate finish. Mild hop bitterness and tons of dark and chocolate malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 and the ABV about 5% so pleasant for dessert by itself or, ohioguy recently posted, with a scoop of vanilla or almond ice cream as a beer float. Sip on one of these slightly chilled with some brownies or CCC. Very smooth.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Pyramid Thunderhead IPA-Pretty standard offering with floral and grassy hops and moderate bitterness. I'd guess about 50-60 IBU and the ABV is 6.7%. Nice golden-yellow color and a single finger head. Nice beverage to have with mildly spicy, grilled fare or with a Duke MBB W over the 'holes last PM. Solid session brew, 1st half specifically :D . I liked my 2nd half brew a bit better :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Lagunitas IPA-2nd half brew-I am not a big fan of Lagunitas and this didn't do too much to convince me otherwise, but I did enjoy it under the circumstances, a solid 2nd half effort by our guys to put away the 'holes late last PM. IBU a bit low at 45.something according to their web site. ABV not given but I'd guess a standard 6-7%. A bit more amber than the Pyramid with grassy and piney notes. Also would be fine with mildly spicy fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2010, 7:51 pm

SA Noble Pils-Quite a nice, pleasant offering in the middle of winter. This is a light, golden yellow lager which is clean and crisp. Soft floral aromas abound with some pear and apple notes, too. Apparently there are 5 types of Noble hops and this brew uses them all. Very slightly sweet, probably with caramel and crystal malts for a nice balance. Serve well-chilled with lighter grilled fare and dinner salads and the low IBU of about 20-30 and low ABV of about 5% will make a nice combo. I am cheating on CB&B and 8-X again as I received this as a trader last week.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 14th, 2010, 8:51 pm

devildeac wrote:SA Noble Pils-Quite a nice, pleasant offering in the middle of winter. This is a light, golden yellow lager which is clean and crisp. Soft floral aromas abound with some pear and apple notes, too. Apparently there are 5 types of Noble hops and this brew uses them all. Very slightly sweet, probably with caramel and crystal malts for a nice balance. Serve well-chilled with lighter grilled fare and dinner salads and the low IBU of about 20-30 and low ABV of about 5% will make a nice combo. I am cheating on CB&B and 8-X again as I received this as a trader last week.
Glad you got to try it...I think you liked it better than I did.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » February 16th, 2010, 10:47 pm

New Belgium Ranger IPA: This is a new offering (with a new NB label design that has been given to Ranger, Mothership Wit, Abbey, and Trippel, which collectively make up the new "Explore Series").

This beer is a nice, hoppy IPA, that is above average. The nose is full of juniper and grass. The flavor has a nice balance between bready malt notes, bitter citrus, and earthy mineral notes. IBUS are 70 and the beer might flirt with being too medicinal, but I generally like that. Recommended as a solid IPA option.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 16th, 2010, 10:57 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:New Belgium Ranger IPA: This is a new offering (with a new NB label design that has been given to Ranger, Mothership Wit, Abbey, and Trippel, which collectively make up the new "Explore Series").

This beer is a nice, hoppy IPA, that is above average. The nose is full of juniper and grass. The flavor has a nice balance between bready malt notes, bitter citrus, and earthy mineral notes. IBUS are 70 and the beer might flirt with being too medicinal, but I generally like that. Recommended as a solid IPA option.
Have them save some of that for our trip out to Colorado next month :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 16th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Allagash Tripel-A marvelous brew. This is a "leftover" from the Lavabe Christmas visit and I sipped this over 2 nights as it was a 750 ml bottle that was caged and corked. It was also 9% ABV with an estimated IBU of 30-40. A bottle-conditioned Belgian style ale that pours a slightly cloudy golden color with lots of fizz and a well-retained, lacy head. Lots of esters as I would expect from this style that give this brew tastes and aromas of bananas, pears and cloves. This would blend well with mild to a bit spicy entrees or you could enjoy it chilled in a goblet for dessert by itself or with some mild cheeses, apples or pears. :ymapplause: to Lavabe for his selection.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 16th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Great Lakes-Glockenspiel-A flavorful example of the weizenbock style. This is a wheat lager technically which pours a cloudy reddish-brown with a modest head. Think Aventinus here with banana, cloves and nuts in the flavors and a bit of dark fruit. This might be nice with a sweetish BBQ pork or chicken dish or sipped on after dinner. The IBU are 20 and the ABV is 8%. This was also part of the Lavabe delivery at Christmas time and I had buried the supply under some other purchases. I have 1-2 left if CB&B would like 1 in his next trader :D . Another fine selection from the Ky part of the family. :ymapplause:
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » February 16th, 2010, 11:25 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:New Belgium Ranger IPA: This is a new offering (with a new NB label design that has been given to Ranger, Mothership Wit, Abbey, and Trippel, which collectively make up the new "Explore Series").

Have them save some of that for our trip out to Colorado next month :D .
I had a few (too many) Friday apres ski in Keystone after a day at Arapahoe Basin. That might explain why I didn't make first tracks on Saturday.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 16th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Tomorrow I may post about my experience with Ommegang.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 17th, 2010, 12:15 am

Miles wrote:Tomorrow I may post about my experience with Ommegang.
You should.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2010, 10:16 am

Or Hennepin.
Or Three Philosophers.
Or Rare Vos.
Or Chocolate Indulgence.

;) :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 17th, 2010, 10:36 am

devildeac wrote:
Or Hennepin.
Or Three Philosophers.
Or Rare Vos.
Or Chocolate Indulgence.

Looks like a big year upcoming for Ommegang. Don't know how available these beers will be but they have a whole new lineup coming out..

Jan-Feb 2010: Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout. Very slightly revised for the 2010 edition. In release.

Mar-Apr: Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale). 5.8% abv. 5 malts, 2 hops, and dry-hopped. Citrus & tropical fruit aromatics.

May-Jun: Ommegang Tripel (name not yet confirmed). Around 9%, spiced, we’re in the test brew stages now.

Jul-Aug: Ommegang Sour Ale. Around 6% ABV. Oud Bruin style beer made in collaboration with Liefmans of Belgium. Name TBD.

Sep-Oct: Ommegang Scotch Ale. A new Belgo-Scotch mash up. ABV, name and even recipe still to be confirmed.

Nov-Dec: Ommegang Adoration. Still 10% ABV, still malty, still big and spicy. But may be tweaked a bit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2010, 10:46 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Or Hennepin.
Or Three Philosophers.
Or Rare Vos.
Or Chocolate Indulgence.

Looks like a big year upcoming for Ommegang. Don't know how available these beers will be but they have a whole new lineup coming out..

Jan-Feb 2010: Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout. Very slightly revised for the 2010 edition. In release.

Mar-Apr: Ommegang BPA (Belgian-style Pale Ale). 5.8% abv. 5 malts, 2 hops, and dry-hopped. Citrus & tropical fruit aromatics.

May-Jun: Ommegang Tripel (name not yet confirmed). Around 9%, spiced, we’re in the test brew stages now.

Jul-Aug: Ommegang Sour Ale. Around 6% ABV. Oud Bruin style beer made in collaboration with Liefmans of Belgium. Name TBD.

Sep-Oct: Ommegang Scotch Ale. A new Belgo-Scotch mash up. ABV, name and even recipe still to be confirmed.

Nov-Dec: Ommegang Adoration. Still 10% ABV, still malty, still big and spicy. But may be tweaked a bit.
I have also seen the Ommegang Biere de Mars in a 750 ml bottle. About $16. I passed. I like their stuff. A lot. But not at ~$8/12.7 ounce serving. :(( :((

Great list though. Thanks for sharing.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 17th, 2010, 2:30 pm

devildeac wrote:
I have also seen the Ommegang Biere de Mars in a 750 ml bottle. About $16. I passed. I like their stuff. A lot. But not at ~$8/12.7 ounce serving. :(( :((

Great list though. Thanks for sharing.
$16 for a 750 is out of my price range as well. I had their Adoration this year and it was about $10 for a 750..still steep but I'll try one or two on that list at that price...