Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I'm calling in a request from the shin kickers. Many of you know I have a student who is driving me crazy. Today, I found a picture of this person on the internet with a piece of equipment that has been missing since the beginning of the term. I sent an email out 10/16 to the class that we were missing this piece of equipment, and to please check their stuff and return it if they find it. The picture I found was posted 2 days later.

Please send mental shin kicks to this student. They really need to get their act together, this is just another thing in a long line of issues, or they are going to be in very big trouble.
Puttin' on the pointy-toed spike heels and sending some shin kicks with added toe stomps! (we SO need a smilie for this!)

Any way you can pass the link to the picture on to someone like, say, a Dean and get this person into some major trouble? IMO anyone who is obnoxious and arrogant enough to post such a picture deserves whatever they get.
I downloaded the picture. Tonight, I'm going to print it out on my color printer, as well as the blog with the picture in it.
Where will you blog, inquiring minds want to see!!!! ???
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 23rd, 2009, 8:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Yes, Duke does have an Honor Code. That is what is going to discuss in the next few days, whether or not this does violate the Honor Code. I feel it does in terms of professionalism.
I would definitely think that it violates the Honor Code. There are lots of Honor Code flavors, but most have the same basic tenets. Haven't seen Duke's specifically, but it seems like knowingly keeping school property = stealing. Keeping it after a blanket request has been made for its return = lying. Is there a clause about blocking classmates' ability to do their work? Keeping community equipment for sole usage definitely qualifies. If there's a stupidity clause, the internet picture/blog post fits. :D
The instrument actually belongs to another department. They loan it to us.

I read Duke's Honor Code today looking for something that we could really use. The only thing I could find was unprofessionalism. As I'm pretty emotionally wrapped in this, we decided let cooler heads prevail and let them determine what to do next.

I'm ready to nail this person's arse to the wall. They have gotten away with a lot not only with us, but on other clerkships as well.
I worship the Blue Devil!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:.... if I had other store cards such as Walmart I might be getting similar notices.)
Ironically, I was just in Walmart last night and if I had one of those cards, I would return it... especially after seeing what I saw and reminding of those walmart shots! what are people thinking when they go to this store? there was a young lady who was obviously on her first night and some guy was heckling her and giving her constant shit the entire time while I'm in line, .... I almost turned to him to tell him to lighten up (after 15-20 minutes of listening to this crap, it got old real quick), however, the mentor she had was pretty tough and finally handled things IMHO appropriately! Something, like Shut the F<_><_>K UP you A<_><_>Hole! Well I guess she was the manager!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 23rd, 2009, 8:13 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Yes, Duke does have an Honor Code. That is what is going to discuss in the next few days, whether or not this does violate the Honor Code. I feel it does in terms of professionalism.
I would definitely think that it violates the Honor Code. There are lots of Honor Code flavors, but most have the same basic tenets. Haven't seen Duke's specifically, but it seems like knowingly keeping school property = stealing. Keeping it after a blanket request has been made for its return = lying. Is there a clause about blocking classmates' ability to do their work? Keeping community equipment for sole usage definitely qualifies. If there's a stupidity clause, the internet picture/blog post fits. :D
The instrument actually belongs to another department. They loan it to us.

I read Duke's Honor Code today looking for something that we could really use. The only thing I could find was unprofessionalism. As I'm pretty emotionally wrapped in this, we decided let cooler heads prevail and let them determine what to do next.

I'm ready to nail this person's arse to the wall. They have gotten away with a lot not only with us, but on other clerkships as well.
Hopefully you'll get to nail this person's arse to the wall. IMO the major problem with our society is that people are allowed to get by with this type of behavior. How many strikes do they have to get before they're out? Sounds like there have been repeated warnings. Maybe I'm too tough, but they'd SO be gone if I had a vote. :-h :Pirate:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 8:15 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:"quote="ArkieDukie"":-bd You go, girl! :-bd

I'd also include a copy of the e-mail that requests return of the piece of equipment. Make sure you get the time stamp on everything.

Today's lesson on Sesame Street, boys and girls, is about "consequences." b-( :ymdevil:"/quote"

We've already had one talk about the consequences of actions. Though, that was before this little nugget of information came to our attention.

I have to laugh. I can't believe people actually thing they can get away with stuff like this.
Yeah, that amazes me, too. I've dealt with students of this type before. They're just too arrogant to think they'll get caught, or they've gotten away with it in the past. Wrong song, Donkey Kong. Or, to quote that old SNL flight attendant skit, "Buh-bye."

Question: does Duke have an Honor Code? If so, does this incident fall under its umbrella?
Yes, Duke does have an Honor Code. That is what is going to discuss in the next few days, whether or not this does violate the Honor Code. I feel it does in terms of professionalism.
Besides an Honor Code, there is also a legal system! If the piece of equipment is over so many dollars (along with theft, isn't that like the possibility of a felony charge) for "borrowing" something that permission wasn't given for... I think they call that stealing and when you gave the opportunity to come clean with no attribution (possibly) and then he/she slams it in your face, deserves them right! Much prayers and vibes for justice to be served! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 23rd, 2009, 8:20 pm

cl15876 wrote:Besides an Honor Code, there is also a legal system! If the piece of equipment is over so many dollars (along with theft, isn't that like the possibility of a felony charge) for "borrowing" something that permission wasn't given for... I think they call that stealing and when you gave the opportunity to come clean with no attribution (possibly) and then he/she slams it in your face, deserves them right! Much prayers and vibes for justice to be served! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
8-x , I like the way you think. Tilly, imagine the fun of having this person arrested for theft of school property! :ymdevil: :Pirate: :Police: :Angry Orc:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 23rd, 2009, 8:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Hopefully you'll get to nail this person's arse to the wall. IMO the major problem with our society is that people are allowed to get by with this type of behavior. How many strikes do they have to get before they're out? Sounds like there have been repeated warnings. Maybe I'm too tough, but they'd SO be gone if I had a vote. :-h :Pirate:
I guarantee you there have been, not just at Duke. Probably at home as well, and in high school. One failing with Duke's student population (not all, by a long shot, but more than at other schools) is there are a lot of products of "priveleged" childhoods. Don't worry dear, mom and dad will handle this and it will go away...if it's even brought up. I saw enough of the same attitude at art school to not recognize the signs.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 8:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Hopefully you'll get to nail this person's arse to the wall. IMO the major problem with our society is that people are allowed to get by with this type of behavior. How many strikes do they have to get before they're out? Sounds like there have been repeated warnings. Maybe I'm too tough, but they'd SO be gone if I had a vote. :-h :Pirate:
I guarantee you there have been, not just at Duke. Probably at home as well, and in high school. One failing with Duke's student population (not all, by a long shot, but more than at other schools) is there are a lot of products of gifted childhoods. Don't worry dear, mom and dad will handle this and it will go away...if it's even brought up. I saw enough of the same attitude at art school to not recognize the signs.
I hear ya and that fuels me even more to put a stop to shit like that! It is not fair to anyone else and sets an example that I don't particularly want to be associated with.... I would not sacrifice my integrity and principles (I would like to think) for any amount of money!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 8:30 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I guarantee you there have been, not just at Duke. Probably at home as well, and in high school. One failing with Duke's student population (not all, by a long shot, but more than at other schools) is there are a lot of products of gifted childhoods. Don't worry dear, mom and dad will handle this and it will go away...if it's even brought up. I saw enough of the same attitude at art school to not recognize the signs.
I hear ya and that fuels me even more to put a stop to shit like that! It is not fair to anyone else and sets an example that I don't particularly want to be associated with.... I would not sacrifice my integrity and principles (I would like to think) for any amount of money!
I do enjoy sleeping at night (even if it is tough sometimes) and to think it all started in a card board box! ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 23rd, 2009, 8:46 pm

Many schools have a CONDUCT CODE, not just an honor code. *-:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 23rd, 2009, 8:47 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I'm calling in a request from the shin kickers. Many of you know I have a student who is driving me crazy. Today, I found a picture of this person on the internet with a piece of equipment that has been missing since the beginning of the term. I sent an email out 10/16 to the class that we were missing this piece of equipment, and to please check their stuff and return it if they find it. The picture I found was posted 2 days later.

Please send mental shin kicks to this student. They really need to get their act together, this is just another thing in a long line of issues, or they are going to be in very big trouble.
Depending on the value of the piece of equipment, I think I'd be requesting a conference with the local assistant district attorney.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 23rd, 2009, 8:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Depending on the value of the piece of equipment, I think I'd be requesting a conference with the local assistant district attorney.
Hmmm, someone around here thinks like Cathy. 8-x ;)

Still think it's a fabulous idea. Go for it, Tilly! :Police:
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:33 pm

I have stuff to do, but feeling itchy! No one on, Big BANG on, and PWing under the moonlight sounds so romantic! :ymblushing: ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:37 pm

cl15876 wrote:I have stuff to do, but feeling itchy! No one on, Big BANG on, and PWing under the moonlight sounds so romantic! :ymblushing: ;)
Oh thank god, YMO heard me calling! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:37 pm

cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I have stuff to do, but feeling itchy! No one on, Big BANG on, and PWing under the moonlight sounds so romantic! :ymblushing: ;)
Hey wait a second, YMO heard me calling! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o ;) :tease:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:45 pm

cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Hey wait a second, YMO heard me calling! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o ;) :tease:
Gosh, I can't stay away! DD is within reach! LOL :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:49 pm

HAHAHAHA - Big Bang is cracking me up! :)) :)) :)) :))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 23rd, 2009, 9:50 pm

Damn my lil sis, she got me to start watching this and it is funny!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 23rd, 2009, 10:23 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Best Buy sent me a notice they were increasing my credit limit on my card from $500 to $700 voluntarily because of my excellent credit history with them. 3:-O :poo: . I've asked for an increase before with the same "excellent credit history" and they turned me down. They convienantly increased my limit the week Christmas shopping season starts. Anyone else get an increase on your store cards? (This was HSBC, I bet if I had other store cards such as Walmart I might be getting similar notices.)
I have a BB card and use it regularly for large purchases (with their x-months same as cash plans). I haven't seen an increase from them.
-- DukeUsul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 23rd, 2009, 10:24 pm

Where's the honey-do list? :-ss
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.