Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2010, 8:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Holy shit this is awesome! I was just telling EarlJam in Section 21 that it's like drinking alcoholic espresso. Before you even hit your lips with the glass, you are overwhelmed by the coffee aroma. These aren't just roasted malts, but it's actually brewed with coffee and it makes for a great beer. Super black, heavy body, high, but not extreme, ABV. (8.1%) I like drinking stouts a bit warmer than fridge temps, but this one would be good cold, reminiscent of an iced coffee with khalua. I picked up two, one for me, one for DD in his trader pack.
Damn. I saw this at TW but they only had 2 left and I wanted to buy a 4 pack. Thanks for thinking of me :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 21st, 2010, 12:00 am

Left Hand Oak Aged Widdershins
This ale didn't soften the blow of tonight's loss much..but it still deadens the senses. This seems to be the brewing rage lately, and I don't really buy the concept. What they are doing is combining two ales, in this case 25% is brewed in "oak brandy casks". Ok..great..but why not 100%? That quick soapbox stump out of the way..I like the beer alot. Left Hand is one of my favorite breweries, they go off kilter plenty of times, and always successfully. Fruit flavors are prominant, but mild, well bittered and a good complement to the sweetness of the ale. High ABV..10%! You have to be careful drinking it though, because the alcohol is well masked by the blend of rich malts and candy sugar, so if you don't take your time you will be done for the evening early. I'd have to taste the regular Widdershins to see if the oak aging makes much of a difference, but it surely doesn't stand out as a great quality. I believe it's in there, i just don't detect it enough to brag on it. Oak aged or not, it's still an excellent buy. Not cheap, but as a bomber, and if you compare to a bottle of wine (which you should), then it makes sense for a good occasion to share. (Tonight, however, it's all mine :D )
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » January 21st, 2010, 9:08 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Left Hand Oak Aged Widdershins
This ale didn't soften the blow of tonight's loss much..but it still deadens the senses. This seems to be the brewing rage lately, and I don't really buy the concept. What they are doing is combining two ales, in this case 25% is brewed in "oak brandy casks". Ok..great..but why not 100%? That quick soapbox stump out of the way..I like the beer alot. Left Hand is one of my favorite breweries, they go off kilter plenty of times, and always successfully. Fruit flavors are prominant, but mild, well bittered and a good complement to the sweetness of the ale. High ABV..10%! You have to be careful drinking it though, because the alcohol is well masked by the blend of rich malts and candy sugar, so if you don't take your time you will be done for the evening early. I'd have to taste the regular Widdershins to see if the oak aging makes much of a difference, but it surely doesn't stand out as a great quality. I believe it's in there, i just don't detect it enough to brag on it. Oak aged or not, it's still an excellent buy. Not cheap, but as a bomber, and if you compare to a bottle of wine (which you should), then it makes sense for a good occasion to share. (Tonight, however, it's all mine :D )
I really like their oak aged imperial stout but was less impressed with the Widdershins..not a bad beer though by any stretch and definitely worth buying. I agree completely that it would be worth comparing with a non-oak aged version. Some beers seem to change significantly with the oak aging (Yeti) but for others it seems more of a marketing ploy..Great review..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 21st, 2010, 9:22 am

Ithaca Old Habit--A rye old ale partially aged in rye whiskey barrels---Big 750ml bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a huge head. The bottle was a gusher which I thought was my fault but I've since read is common for this beer. Some sweeter caramel malts up front but nicely muted by a subtle whiskey bite. Very noticeable oak and rye flavors with hints of more bitter chocolate and some light sourness. The whiskey taste is there throughout the beer but not overpowering. This is a really good old ale as it has a nice musty, weathered, smoky taste compared to some other old ales which tend to be very sweet. I'd like to find another bottle of this and stash it away for awhile...9% ABV..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2010, 12:18 pm

Hopsecutioner-Terrapin Brewing-cannabis with a few spruce twigs mixed in :D. This is a new brew to me and hadn't noticed it on their site before. It is an IPA that pours a slightly golden-yellow with a small head with an estimated IBU of about 70 and the ABV is 7.3% so I'd call it fairly well-balanced with the malts. Not a tongue-torcher but with enough zip to pair nicely with some mildly spicy dishes. There will be one of these for CB&B, 8-X and one of the reps who calls on me. Want me to save one for you, bluebear?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2010, 11:01 pm

Atwater Brewing Company-Deeeeetroit, Michigan-A double bock, or in more popular/current terms, imperial bock. This is a dark brown lager with lots and lots and lots of caramel and Munich malts. This makes for a slightly syrup-y and sweet brew that tastes like chocolate covered caramel. Don't spend too much time looking for much hop bitterness as they ain't much to find with an IBU of 30. This also has some hints of dark cherries and dark rum and the ABV of 9.5% is sneaky. I really like this style of beer and can enjoy it by itself slightly chilled as a dessert or with a slice of chocolate pound cake. If you have a preference for sweeter BBQ sauces, I could imagine this with ribs, pork or chicken, too. Leaves you licking your lips and wanting another sip or two. One for CB&B, 8-X and my office drug rep for traders.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 23rd, 2010, 12:02 pm

Sweetwater Festive Ale-This one was sneaky. This is their winter ale and I had a draft pint last PM at The Biergarten, a nice little restaurant in Asheville, prior to our dancing the nite away, part I. This is a dark brown heavily malted brew (chocolate, caramel and black malts, I'd wager) with a hint of hops bite. What fooled me was the tastes (I thought typical winter ale but it has mace and cinnamon) and ABV (I guessed about 6% but it was 8.6%). I'm glad I only had 1 pint and no high gravity dessert beers to go with my club sammich and dee-licious sweet (potato) fries. Despite the high ABV it obviously did not taste rum-my to me and, the best part, it was their beer special and was only $2.50 for the pint. Usually, these high gravity ales are about $6-7/pint or they serve you 8-10 ounces and charge you $3-4 for the serving. I'd have this one again and any of you folks residing in Atlanta oughta try a bottle/draft of this.

On another note, I am calling EarlHopsandMaltJam out here AND via PM. Sweetwater has their Happy Ending out and I told him I want one. I don't want a Hummer as I can buy one of those here. I also would like a Donkey Punch but figgered I'd get infracted here and over yonder if I mentioned that again. :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 23rd, 2010, 12:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Atwater Brewing Company-Deeeeetroit, Michigan-A double bock, or in more popular/current terms, imperial bock. This is a dark brown lager with lots and lots and lots of caramel and Munich malts. This makes for a slightly syrup-y and sweet brew that tastes like chocolate covered caramel. Don't spend too much time looking for much hop bitterness as they ain't much to find with an IBU of 30. This also has some hints of dark cherries and dark rum and the ABV of 9.5% is sneaky. I really like this style of beer and can enjoy it by itself slightly chilled as a dessert or with a slice of chocolate pound cake. If you have a preference for sweeter BBQ sauces, I could imagine this with ribs, pork or chicken, too. Leaves you licking your lips and wanting another sip or two. One for CB&B, 8-X and my office drug rep for traders.
This is embarrassing as I forgot to include the name of the brew in the post, but what the hey, at least I get another post outta the error. :ymblushing:

This brew's name is VooDoo-Vator. And yes, I am saving the remaining 5 in the 6 pack for trading purposes. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 23rd, 2010, 3:15 pm

devildeac wrote: I don't want a Hummer as I can buy one of those here
OMG. Don't let Mrs. DD catch you buying one of those up there... =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 23rd, 2010, 4:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: I don't want a Hummer as I can buy one of those here
OMG. Don't let Mrs. DD catch you buying one of those up there... =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
The beer, Ozzie, the beer. Sheesh. ;) :D
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » January 23rd, 2010, 4:42 pm

devildeac wrote:Sweetwater Festive Ale-This one was sneaky. This is their winter ale and I had a draft pint last PM at The Biergarten, a nice little restaurant in Asheville, prior to our dancing the nite away, part I. This is a dark brown heavily malted brew (chocolate, caramel and black malts, I'd wager) with a hint of hops bite. What fooled me was the tastes (I thought typical winter ale but it has mace and cinnamon) and ABV (I guessed about 6% but it was 8.6%). I'm glad I only had 1 pint and no high gravity dessert beers to go with my club sammich and dee-licious sweet (potato) fries. Despite the high ABV it obviously did not taste rum-my to me and, the best part, it was their beer special and was only $2.50 for the pint. Usually, these high gravity ales are about $6-7/pint or they serve you 8-10 ounces and charge you $3-4 for the serving. I'd have this one again and any of you folks residing in Atlanta oughta try a bottle/draft of this.

On another note, I am calling EarlHopsandMaltJam out here AND via PM. Sweetwater has their Happy Ending out and I told him I want one. I don't want a Hummer as I can buy one of those here. I also would like a Donkey Punch but figgered I'd get infracted here and over yonder if I mentioned that again. :)) =))
DD - I'll check up here, we have those up here! wonderful place to eat and I'm been craving the cajun pasta dish, lately! Maybe I was having sympathy pains for Ozzie's daughter! :D
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 23rd, 2010, 5:17 pm

devildeac wrote:Sierra Nevada Glissade-a golden bock-Yep, it's a lager; pale yellow-gold in color with all the breadiness of a lightly toasted croissant, with a bit of butter. Lightly hopped with the typical light caramel tastes you'd expect. It's a bit early for spring but couldn't pass up this new brew in Harris Teeter of all places. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 or so and the ABV is 6.4%, pretty standard for a bock and just right for the 1st half of the Duke-Wake Foulfest game tonight. Hey CB&B and 8-X , you'll be seeing one of these in your upcoming traders. :D :-*
I bought two sixers of this 2 weeks ago, found at a Food Lion.
I searched the thread for a review just now, finding the above. Quite accurate. I was impressed with this offering. Tasty.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 23rd, 2010, 8:46 pm

Tonight's episode of UNWRAPPED (on the Food Network) featured the Shenandoah Brewing Company making their chocolate donut stout. 7-9%ABV.
Pretty neat.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 24th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout.
I had a 6 pack of this in my cart and I changed my mind, electing to pick one for me, one as a trader for DD. I'm kinda glad I put the 6 pack back, not because it's bad but because I'm stouted out right now. However, as these lucious thick black beers go, the Chicory is a good one to pick. It's a coffee stout, and it has lots of flavor to play with. The roasted malts and the coffee are a lot of fun, and the slight bitterness that follows is really enticing. Very light head, medium body, and great dark color. I'll be picking up more in the future, but I stand behind the singles scene..6 would be a bit much.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 29th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Nope, not here.

Maybe the Milestones thread...

;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 29th, 2010, 9:48 pm

devildeac wrote:Nope, not here.

Maybe the Milestones thread...

;)
Gee... I thought you were reviewing a Bud Light. :)) =)) =)) :))
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 31st, 2010, 10:04 pm

Smuttynose Wheat Wine.
Buy it now...then drink it. It took me two nights and enjoyed them both. One night unc lost. One night Duke lost. And I ejoyed it both nights. Buy it now. Then drink it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 2nd, 2010, 9:50 pm

I'm not reviewing it...it's been done. I'm just stating that I'm opening a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I've had it for a few weeks now, waiting for a good occasion. I'm painting something everyone will like tonight..so off with it's top. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 2nd, 2010, 10:16 pm

Le Freak-Green Flash Brewing-What a complex brew. I split the bomber over 2 nights and had pretty much the same thoughts each night. This is a hybrid, blending American IIPA and Belgian Triple styles. What I tasted was the mild pink grapefruit hoppiness of the IIPA as expected with the estery taste of bananas and zest of orange from the triple. This is a bottle-conditioned ale and pours a cloudy yellow-orange with some of the fizz of the triple and the foaminess of the IIPA. It is fairly well-balanced with the malts giving it a some light brown rum characteristics and an ABV of 9.2% and the IBU is somewhat higher than I would have guessed. They are 101 which makes it higher than Bigfoot. I'm not sure which entree I would match with this as I tasted it with a crisp Granny Smith apple one night and enjoyed it by itself the next night. I've got another bomber and this one will be shared this fall at a Brunchgate ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 2nd, 2010, 10:30 pm

Founder's Old Curmudgeon Ale-Another complex winter brew-I bought a 4 pack of this so there just might be a leftover or two for future consideration ;) :D . This is my 1st time ever tasting this concoction which is a slightly reddish-brown old ale with a heavy malt emphasis. I believe it is bottle-conditioned so it is slightly cloudy. They brew this with molasses but I wouldn't think a black molasses style as the flavors are more like dark brown sugar. The oak aging give is a bit of vanilla, wood and whiskey-ish tastes and they are all very pleasant. Frighteningly smooth at a mere 50 IBU and highly potent at 9.8% ABV. I decided to divide one of the bottles over 3 nights and sipped it at very slightly chilled temps out of a larger cordial glass. This is a dessert beer and I was happy with my 4 ounce pour by itself but could imagine serving this with a Granny Smith apple or a large fancy arse pear also.