2009 NFL Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2009 NFL Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 20th, 2009, 8:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:Just saw what might be the final play of the Pitt/GB game. OH MY!!
WHEW!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 20th, 2009, 8:09 pm

The Panthers have a history of doing pretty well against Favre. It's the rest of the Viking team that makes me wonder what new and creative way of losing can the Cats find tonight? :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2010, 3:54 pm

The Steelers need help to get in, but are doing everything they can to keep themselves out on their own. They have coughed up a 17 pt lead and let Miami get to within 10. Then they turned it over, so Miami has it in Steelers territory with a chance to score, and take the lead. X(

Steelers got it back on an INT...but still 8 more minutes for them to screw it all up.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 3rd, 2010, 3:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The Steelers need help to get in, but are doing everything they can to keep themselves out on their own. They have coughed up a 17 pt lead and let Miami get to within 10. Then they turned it over, so Miami has it in Steelers territory with a chance to score, and take the lead. X(

Steelers got it back on an INT...but still 8 more minutes for them to screw it all up.
It's kinda amazing Roeth is still in with his arm like that.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2010, 4:00 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:The Steelers need help to get in, but are doing everything they can to keep themselves out on their own. They have coughed up a 17 pt lead and let Miami get to within 10. Then they turned it over, so Miami has it in Steelers territory with a chance to score, and take the lead. X(

It's kinda amazing Roeth is still in with his arm like that.
Well..his backup has a Cowboy's star shaved into his head..I'd leave him on the bench too!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2010, 4:04 pm

Well..Steelers might as well get out the golf clubs, they need three other teams to lose since Houston won.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 3rd, 2010, 4:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well..Steelers might as well get out the golf clubs, they need three other teams to lose since Houston won.
I wonder what the response is like in Boston, as the team that lost to Houston, New England, also lost to injury one of its big-name players, Wes Welker. Will he play in their next game? What's his status? :-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 3rd, 2010, 7:02 pm

Meanwhile, the headlines in Philly tomorrow will be something like:
Iggles Lay An Egg

They trail Dallas 24 -0, with 2:24 to go in the 4th quarter. It wasn't even that close.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 3rd, 2010, 7:05 pm

Welker's replacement did a pretty good job of covering for him. I'm not sure what the Pats plans were for that game, Brady came back in later in the second half.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 3rd, 2010, 7:06 pm

The Atlanta Fail-cons pull off back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in franchise history.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 4th, 2010, 7:30 am

Lavabe wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well..Steelers might as well get out the golf clubs, they need three other teams to lose since Houston won.
I wonder what the response is like in Boston, as the team that lost to Houston, New England, also lost to injury one of its big-name players, Wes Welker. Will he play in their next game? What's his status? :-o
Welker has a torn ACL and MCL. Ycch!
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » January 4th, 2010, 9:57 am

Lavabe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Welker has a torn ACL and MCL. Ycch!
Huge blow to the Pats...Welker was the best player on the team this year. He might not be able to play next season either.. I thought they might be able to make a run in the playoffs but this may be a dagger..and Brady has busted ribs..
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 4th, 2010, 10:21 am

DukeUsul, what the hell happened to the Iggles last night? I hope they don't break my heart next weekend too.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » January 4th, 2010, 10:39 am

bjornolf wrote:DukeUsul, what the hell happened to the Iggles last night? I hope they don't break my heart next weekend too.

%%-
They just rolled over and died. And now they have to go back to Arlington and play the Cowboys again.

The defense was just awful. Regardless of the offense's struggles, they were just letting the Cowboys go wherever they wanted to on the field.
-- DukeUsul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 10th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Which was worse: NE Patriots or Philly Iggles?

Discuss.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Arizona and Green Bay tied at 45 after a thrilling 4th quarter.

You know the commercial when the ref looks into the replay viewer but he's talking with patrons in a sports bar, and they say their not ready to go, can they go into overtime? Well, when Arizona was about to kick the winning field goal with 9 seconds left in regulation, I thought of that and said to myself "self, I'm not ready for this game to end, can he pull the FG attempt wide?"

Am I good or what!?! :D :D :D B-) B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 8:01 pm

OH MY GOD! What an ending! Rogers fumbles and it's returned for an Arizona TD!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 11th, 2010, 11:35 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:OH MY GOD! What an ending! Rogers fumbles and it's returned for an Arizona TD!
Yeah seriously, Kelly and I were blown away. That game had all the makings of another boring football blowout until Rodgers and the rest of the Pack got their act together. Tragic way for them to go down in the end but a really entertaining game.

It was our first game on our new HDTV. :-D
sMiles
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » January 26th, 2010, 9:30 am

So the Vikings finally lost, and the 4th Annual Brett Favre retirement party is now underway. I have to give wilson credit for predicting on facebook that Favre would throw a cripling 4th quarter interception to break the hearts of Viking fans. Sure enough that's what happened. I have no doubt that Favre will come back next season--he played well enough this year and the Vikings will be a Super Bowl contender with him next year. In the end, if you like Favre, that last interception was another example of the gunslinger trying to make a gutsy play to help his team win the game. If you don't like Favre, it was another example of a self-centered player trying to make a "heroic" play for himself at the expense of what's best for the team.

Either way, congrats to the Saints. They weren't great, but they were better than the Vikings (yes, even with the huge disparity in yards).

I predict the Colts win 31-24.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Miles

Post by Miles » January 26th, 2010, 11:25 am

I think all of the Favres critics were flat out wrong this year. He played a phenomenal season and it sucked to see the whole entire team fold in the NFC Championship game. You can't win many games with that many turnovers. I'm not sure where Favre stands regarding retirement. He looked absolutely beat down during that game. It made me want to retire!

Go Saints. Nothing against the Colts, but I'd like to see Drew Brees with a Super Bowl ring. Maybe Jeremy Shockey will break his leg in a drunken, jacuzzi incident and not get any credit for the bowl game. That would be nice.
sMiles