Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Foods I don't understand

Post by CathyCA » September 8th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I used to love olives. Perhaps it's a story I shouldn't share, but I don't love them anymore. The Rathskellar on the lower level of the Brian Center was involved.
Oh, now you MUST share!
I got a salad that had been sitting out just a bit too long, or at least the black olive had. It's one of those sense memory things, the three days of, well, you can guess what it was three days of after eating a very bad black olive. I can't stomach the taste of olives anymore. Pun intended.
EWW! And, of course, we called the restaurant there "The Rat."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 8th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Tomorrow is my annual physical.
Scoot down.

Oops, sorry, hope everything checks out OK!
I intended to post this in the LTE.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 8th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I said in another thread that I'm tired, tired, tired. When I'm tired, tired, tired, my spelling sucks and my Southern accent becomes pronounced.

Brian, wilons, a host of others. So, wilson and DD, no correcting my grammar today, please.
One thing there aren't enough of up here in Mass are Southern accents.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » September 8th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I used to love olives. Perhaps it's a story I shouldn't share, but I don't love them anymore. The Rathskellar on the lower level of the Brian Center was involved.
Oh, now you MUST share!
I got a salad that had been sitting out just a bit too long, or at least the black olive had. It's one of those sense memory things, the three days of, well, you can guess what it was three days of after eating a very bad black olive. I can't stomach the taste of olives anymore. Pun intended.
Quoting myself because, c'mon, I missed something important - this :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 8th, 2009, 1:59 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I said in another thread that I'm tired, tired, tired. When I'm tired, tired, tired, my spelling sucks and my Southern accent becomes pronounced.

Brian, wilons, a host of others. So, wilson and DD, no correcting my grammar today, please.
One thing there aren't enough of up here in Mass are Southern accents.
Sadly, my Southern accent isn't too Southern anymore. I don't know what happened but it is true when I first moved up here, people didn't always understand me. I lost a fair bit of it out of necessity. But I don't sound like I'm from Boston!

And when people tell me I don't have a Southern accent, I always respond with "Yeah, but I have INsurance." Then I say that I'm fixin' to get another drink, can I get you sumthin?
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 8th, 2009, 2:11 pm

I can't imagine what raw olives taste like. They have to be fermented or cured to taste good. Natural flavor modification, as opposed to using those artificial chemicals.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 8th, 2009, 2:14 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I can't imagine what raw olives taste like. They have to be fermented or cured to taste good. Natural flavor modification, as opposed to using those artificial chemicals.
I never thought about it, but you're right. I've never had an olive that didn't come out of a jar or can.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 8th, 2009, 2:19 pm

I expect that after I pass on, my body will not decay due to the large amounts of artifical preservatives I have consumed in my lifetime.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 8th, 2009, 2:23 pm

CathyCA wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:All you tomato haters are crazie :o :))
We're simply making more tomatoes available for you to eat, thankyouverymuch.
And it is appreciated!
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 8th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Not sure if this is right place to post this but I have a date with a friend from Duke for our 80th and 90th birthdays, well, her birthdays, she's 6 months younger. We we turn 80 it's cigarettes and Boston Cream doughnuts. When we turn 90, it's fried Mars Bars. I can't wait!
I've told folks I'm gonna have a couple shots, straight up, of a ~15 year old single batch bourbon and a fine Cuban cigar. Ditto at 85 and 90. :-$ :ympray:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 8th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Miles wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I just had a black olive. What I don't understand are those green olives with the pimento.
They're my least favorite of the olives. But they're nice to have in a Bloody Mary. Stuff em with blue cheese and you might convince me to have a martini.
I prefer green olives to black. Kalamatas stand as an exception among the black ones; I love those. But please don't put any black olives on my pizza or anything...I think they lose any and all flavor once cooked.
And yes, a green olive stuffed with bleu cheese is the preeminent martini garnish.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 8th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Olives: I like the black ones, not the green ones.

BD: I also love lima beans, frozen, not canned. They're one of my favorite vegetables. Also, did your avoidance of olives involve the Rat's taco salad?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 8th, 2009, 4:01 pm

bjornolf wrote:Olives: I like the black ones, not the green ones.

BD: I also love lima beans, frozen, not canned. They're one of my favorite vegetables. Also, did your avoidance of olives involve the Rat's taco salad?

%%-
I don't understand.... you LOVE lima beans? I thought at most they could only be tolerated (like in that mix of carrots, peas, corn and lima beans that I can just tolerate eating).
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 8th, 2009, 4:06 pm

DukeUsul wrote:

%%-
I don't understand.... you LOVE lima beans? I thought at most they could only be tolerated (like in that mix of carrots, peas, corn and lima beans that I can just tolerate eating).
I don't like cooked carrots, only raw (except in my chicken noodle veggie soup), and peas are fine. I'm more a fan of fresh corn on the cob than in a succotash. So, of those, limas would by my favorite by a landslide. They're definitely one of my favorite veggies. I like em boiled in the pot with a little salt. I do NOT like them all buttery though. And they have to be "good" limas, with a little firmness to them. I don't like 'em if they're just mushy.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » September 8th, 2009, 4:23 pm

DukeUsul wrote:

%%-
Oh man. Lima beans have a great talent for absorbing and complimenting pork flavors.
sMiles
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 8th, 2009, 4:23 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

%%-
I don't like cooked carrots, only raw (except in my chicken noodle veggie soup), and peas are fine. I'm more a fan of fresh corn on the cob than in a succotash. So, of those, limas would by my favorite by a landslide. They're definitely one of my favorite veggies. I like em boiled in the pot with a little salt. I do NOT like them all buttery though. And they have to be "good" limas, with a little firmness to them. I don't like 'em if they're just mushy.

%%-
I agree with you on the carrots. My wife only likes carrots cooked, not raw. We have an issue there.

But no butter? That's about the only way I can tolerate lima beans.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 8th, 2009, 4:24 pm

DukeUsul wrote: I agree with you on the carrots. My wife only likes carrots cooked, not raw. We have an issue there.

But no butter? That's about the only way I can tolerate lima beans.
Or in a brunswick stew
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

%%-
Oh man. Lima beans have a great talent for absorbing and complimenting pork flavors.
Definitely. Limas in a ham soup or with pork chops are divine!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 9th, 2009, 4:10 am

Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

%%-
Even Lima beans taste good when served in ramekins.
**==
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 7:45 am

Lavabe wrote:
Even Lima beans taste good when served in ramekins.
**==
Lima Beans do not taste good....ever...neither do olives ( :ymsick: ) of any color!

I don't like butter cream icing or marzipan. Too sweet. I usually leave a little skeleton of icing on my plate when I eat cake...actually come to think of it with the exception of doughnuts I'm not much of a sweets fan...(an exception is made for really good chocolate fudge - with walnuts)

I like spinach raw as a salad (wilted is ok) but not cooked. Carrots I'll eat raw or cooked. I love carrots. Asparagus not so much...if it is fresh and steamed right it is ok.

No liver - don't even like the smell of the stuff (I used to make liver brownies as treats for the dogs - then I discovered they liked tuna brownies just as much and tuna doesn't gross me out)

I am not a fan of any vegetable that is 'creamed' in any way shape for form.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.