Olympic Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Olympic Thread

Post by DukieInKansas » August 8th, 2012, 10:47 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Lavabe wrote:The US women's gymnastic team behavior during the events hasn't been great, but it hasn't been much different from some of their competitors. The announcers mentioned that the US team often did not watch thèir competitors, and that a number of competitors didn't relish their silver medals.
I don't have a problem with them not watching their competitors - I don't want to see how everyone else is doing as it will make me that much more nervous. How often do we, on this board, call out our competitors for their classless behavior? And how often are we disappointed when one of our own demonstrates classless behavior. This is what bothers me about McKayla's reaction. And, just because other competitors don't relish their silver medals, doesn't mean our ladies shouldn't. How often do we tell our kids, our we were told, if so-and-so jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge would you? Classless behavior reflects on all of us. On the flip side Jordan Weiber (in my mind I keep calling her Justin Bieber, sorry Jordan) did a fantastic job of dealing with her disappointment. She cried about, but she congratulated Gabby and Aly (maybe Jordan should go by Jordy) and moved on. Not once did she act spoiled or demonstrate any other type of unsportsmanlike conduct when she missed the all-around.
I wish she had been more gracious in getting the silver medal but then I remind myself that she is only 16 years old and falling on her butt was so unexpected that I think she was just so surprised and mad at herself that she didn't control her reaction. (Of course, Jordyn is only 17 and reacted better to her disappointment.)
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2012, 12:49 am

Duke alum Shannon Rowbury raced in the 1500m and advanced in her qualifier.
Go Shannon!
On to the finals! :duke:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2012, 1:02 am

Luol Deng and LeBron James in a commercial tonight.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 9th, 2012, 8:39 am

Gold AND silver in one event! Way to go Ladies! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 9th, 2012, 8:54 am

:flags-usa: I saw last night that of the 34 golds, the women have earned 23! You rock, ladies!!!!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 9th, 2012, 11:46 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote::flags-usa: I saw last night that of the 34 golds, the women have earned 23! You rock, ladies!!!!
Love, Ima
"You hinting our men ain't what they're cracked up to be?" :D
Attachments
Talking Trees.jpg
Talking Trees.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 234 times
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 9th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Women BBall is playing catchup with the Aussies. Gonna go into the second half 4 pts behind.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 9th, 2012, 10:50 pm

I have less problem with McKayla's behavior than I do with Usain Bolt's.
I completely understand being so disappointed with one's own performance that it's hard to contain that attitude through the acceptance of your own failure. It may appear as being a sore loser. When you know you failed in putting forth what you know you are completely capable of and that you also know that your best could have put you on the gold medal stand of the world's biggest stage...she is very young, after all.

I absolutely have NO damned patience for a sore winner. Carl Lewis is right to bring Bolt's abilities under question. It was just that. Question, not accusation. As for not having respect for Lewis' accomplishments, come back for your commentary, Mr. Bolt, when you have as many medals as Mr. Lewis and you've been able to win them in more than one type of event.
Not trying to be political here, but how many more might Lewis have if not for the boycott set by Pres Carter?

Usain...shut the fuck up, please. I will.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 10th, 2012, 8:32 am

captmojo wrote:I have less problem with McKayla's behavior than I do with Usain Bolt's.
I completely understand being so disappointed with one's own performance that it's hard to contain that attitude through the acceptance of your own failure. It may appear as being a sore loser. When you know you failed in putting forth what you know you are completely capable of and that you also know that your best could have put you on the gold medal stand of the world's biggest stage...she is very young, after all.

I absolutely have NO damned patience for a sore winner. Carl Lewis is right to bring Bolt's abilities under question. It was just that. Question, not accusation. As for not having respect for Lewis' accomplishments, come back for your commentary, Mr. Bolt, when you have as many medals as Mr. Lewis and you've been able to win them in more than one type of event.
Not trying to be political here, but how many more might Lewis have if not for the boycott set by Pres Carter?

Usain...shut the fuck up, please. I will.

Double ditto! I am so upset with all the photoshopped crap showing up online showing McKayla in places she's never even been and captions like "poor loser"! She is a child for heavens sake. Bolt on the other hand is an adult and should know better! Whew, thanks for letting me vent!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2012, 10:57 am

Note to USA Gymnastics: Please hire the Olympic handlers working with USA Swimming's teenagers. Please?

Note to Carl Lewis: please raise your concerns to the proper investigating authorities. Also, please hire the USA Swimming PR handlers, especially if you decide to run for NJ state senator.

Note to Usain Bolt: dude... You're fast. Just say WE'RE CLEAN, and leave it at that. Of course, hiring the USA PR handlers might be a very good idea.

How did swimming avoid these issues this year?
;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2012, 1:16 pm

OMG. The open water/long distance swim has a feeding station. UTTER BEDLAM!! Imagine 28 freestyle swimmers who are swimming in a pack, all going for food and drink from long poles... People are hitting each other as they reach, eat, and swim.

BIZARRE... but fun! :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:Note to USA Gymnastics: Please hire the Olympic handlers working with USA Swimming's teenagers. Please?

Note to Carl Lewis: please raise your concerns to the proper investigating authorities. Also, please hire the USA Swimming PR handlers, especially if you decide to run for NJ state senator.

Note to Usain Bolt: dude... You're fast. Just say WE'RE CLEAN, and leave it at that. Of course, hiring the USA PR handlers might be a very good idea.

How did swimming avoid these issues this year?
;)
I'll agree with all of the above, although I think that the gymnasts have been okay overall. I'm so over Usain Bolt. He reminds me of Mohammed Ali in his prime: "I am the greatest, and nobody can beat the greatest." It majorly turned me off, and I was just a kid at the time. Dude, let your actions speak. Quit the ridiculous posing and tone down the self-promotion.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Note: My suggestion to UBolt was to use the USA Swimming PR handlers.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Shannon Rowbury finishes 6th in the 1500m in a tough race that saw another American tumble. Tough race, but great job, Shannon! :duke:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 10th, 2012, 11:18 pm

I'd also like to suggest that Carmelita Jeter use the same PR handler as USA swimming. Is it just me, or is she almost as bad as Usain Bolt?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 10th, 2012, 11:37 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'd also like to suggest that Carmelita Jeter use the same PR handler as USA swimming. Is it just me, or is she almost as bad as Usain Bolt?
Hey... She just helped set a new world record, pointed at the sign showing the new record, and was celebrating. The US women had received a LOT of flak before the race ( for like 8 years).

At least she didn't trash people by name.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2012, 9:20 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'd also like to suggest that Carmelita Jeter use the same PR handler as USA swimming. Is it just me, or is she almost as bad as Usain Bolt?
Hey... She just helped set a new world record, pointed at the sign showing the new record, and was celebrating. The US women had received a LOT of flak before the race ( for like 8 years).

At least she didn't trash people by name.
I'll give her that one. The pointing and posturing after the race was a bit on the annoying side, but it was really the post-race interview that did me in. Her teammates were a bit more gracious than she was. It was a bit jarring to go from comments about what an honor it was to be a part of such a great team to Jeter's comments talking about how she celebrated at the end of the race. Maybe she acknowledged her teammates; I can't remember. She seemed much more into her part of the race than the fact that her teammates had done a pretty good job of getting her to the point of going across the finish line with a new world record for the relay team. It's entirely possible that my impressions are off, though.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2012, 1:35 pm

My favorite event day in track: race-walking day.

Truth be told: I race-walked in high school, and continued for several years after Duke.
Really good women's 20 km race today.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2012, 11:01 pm

USA Women's 4x400 team. Wow. Just. Wow. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Amazing athletes, and classy all the way around. Allyson Felix became the first female since Florence Griffith-Joyner to win 3 gold medals in a single Olympics. ^:)^ ^:)^
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2012, 11:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:USA Women's 4x400 team. Wow. Just. Wow. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Amazing athletes, and classy all the way around. Allyson Felix became the first female since Florence Griffith-Joyner to win 3 gold medals in a single Olympics. ^:)^ ^:)^
SR-R and Felix are simply great.
US Men's came in 2nd with the 2nd fastest time ever in 4 x 100. Really like the anchor, who came closer to Bolt than anyone did this Olympics. A classy silver performance.
Go figure men's platform diving! Surprise!!