The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by captmojo » July 20th, 2011, 9:41 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
captmojo wrote: Lake owners are suspecting local cattle deposits. :-? Makes one understand the 'money talks' axiom.
Ding, ding, ding! I believe you have hit upon the correct answer, capt! This is a HUGE issue. Farmers usually get the blame, even when the polluted body of water runs through a golf course with very, very lush grass.
It's probably worth mentioning that said 'lake owners' are a nearby, out-of-county, city government. I hope that may clarify my use of the phrase 'Money talks'. :sigh:

Next up, the owners have a contract with a downstream recreation group, to release 750,000 gallons of water to raise river water levels for a canoe/kayak race in a couple of weeks.
When the current damkeeper retires... :-? maybe I could check into a new career.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 20th, 2011, 10:47 am

captmojo wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
captmojo wrote: Lake owners are suspecting local cattle deposits. :-? Makes one understand the 'money talks' axiom.
Ding, ding, ding! I believe you have hit upon the correct answer, capt! This is a HUGE issue. Farmers usually get the blame, even when the polluted body of water runs through a golf course with very, very lush grass.
It's probably worth mentioning that said 'lake owners' are a nearby, out-of-county, city government. I hope that may clarify my use of the phrase 'Money talks'. :sigh:

Next up, the owners have a contract with a downstream recreation group, to release 750,000 gallons of water to raise river water levels for a canoe/kayak race in a couple of weeks.
When the current damkeeper retires... :-? maybe I could check into a new career.
If I have the right location, the golf course is owned by a Frenchman with more money than God.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 20th, 2011, 4:58 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
If I have the right location, the golf course is owned by a Frenchman with more money than God.
ArkieDukie wrote: Ding, ding, ding!
Another winner!

Actually, I think I've heard he is Belgian, but all the mountain folk call him French.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 20th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Well, no dice on the instrument company job (the one with the phone interview). No big surprise, since I hadn't heard anything since the phone interview 3 weeks ago. :ymsigh:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 20th, 2011, 10:01 pm

captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Ding, ding, ding!
Another winner!

Actually, I think I've heard he is Belgian, but all the mountain folk call him French.
Perhaps Lavabe should study him, since the mountain folk call him "Primate."
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 20th, 2011, 10:15 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Well, no dice on the instrument company job (the one with the phone interview). No big surprise, since I hadn't heard anything since the phone interview 3 weeks ago. :ymsigh:
Sorry. Have you heard anything more about the professorship at the university where your niece attends?
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 20th, 2011, 10:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Well, no dice on the instrument company job (the one with the phone interview). No big surprise, since I hadn't heard anything since the phone interview 3 weeks ago. :ymsigh:
Sorry. Have you heard anything more about the professorship at the university where your niece attends?
Haven't applied yet. Am going to send an email to the dept chair to see if I can stop by and chat with him on Friday. I'll be going through town on my way to the family farm.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 20th, 2011, 10:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Haven't applied yet. Am going to send an email to the dept chair to see if I can stop by and chat with him on Friday. I'll be going through town on my way to the family farm.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 21st, 2011, 9:54 pm

Gosh I hate those phone interview things! How can anybody tell anything about anybody in those things?!. I just know that if they sat down with you face to face, you'd wow 'em!

I'm so sorry, Arkie! While Sarah is propped up in bed with nothin' to do but heal, I'll put her on full time vibe duty. You've got them coming .... especially from her! She owes you big time! Let's get this thing done.
Love, Ima :wizard:
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 21st, 2011, 10:35 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Gosh I hate those phone interview things! How can anybody tell anything about anybody in those things?!. I just know that if they sat down with you face to face, you'd wow 'em!

I'm so sorry, Arkie! While Sarah is propped up in bed with nothin' to do but heal, I'll put her on full time vibe duty. You've got them coming .... especially from her! She owes you big time! Let's get this thing done.
Love, Ima :wizard:
Thanks, Ima! Hope Sarah is feeling better. I'm still sending vibes to her, too!

I've been through this type of career crisis enough to know that things will work out for the best if I have faith and patience. I also have to recognize that my idea of the best thing may not be the best thing for me. Sounds hokey, but this has really been my experience on multiple occasions. As long as I'm aware of that and remind myself of it on a regular basis, everything will work out. Heck, maybe I need to be around here just long enough for Pushy PI to finally figure out that I was the only person that was being straight with him. Then I can get a new job. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 25th, 2011, 11:41 am

How is the Job Search going?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Stayed home sick today (nasty head cold with a sore throat) and have been working on job apps. I've sent out two so far; hopefully I'll get one more out the door. I've also started doing the necessary literature searching for the research plan that I'm putting together to submit with my applications for undergrad teaching positions. Have I mentioned how nice it is to be able to long on to the med school website from home? I've loaded a bunch of .pdf files onto my iPad. Now I just need to finish the background reading and write that research plan!
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 11th, 2011, 8:15 pm

I hope your feeling much better this evening. Also hoping your "new job" happens soon. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2011, 11:02 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I hope your feeling much better this evening. Also hoping your "new job" happens soon. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Thanks, VDB! :ymhug:
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 12th, 2011, 9:14 am

Job Searching is a full time job!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 5:07 pm

I applied for several jobs with one particular company (the one my friend works for). Just checked my personal e-mail account and discovered a message from a HR person - she want to talk with me about one of the jobs I applied for! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 17th, 2011, 5:15 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I applied for several jobs with one particular company (the one my friend works for). Just checked my personal e-mail account and discovered a message from a HR person - she want to talk with me about one of the jobs I applied for! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Woo-hooooooooooo! That is great news!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 17th, 2011, 5:34 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I applied for several jobs with one particular company (the one my friend works for). Just checked my personal e-mail account and discovered a message from a HR person - she want to talk with me about one of the jobs I applied for! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Perhaps the stars are aligning for happiness and relocation in your future.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2011, 6:34 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2011, 6:36 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Woo-hooooooooooo! That is great news!

:9f:
Thanks, CathyCA! I thought I applied for a job in Foster City, CA, but the company also has a location in Concord, Ontario. The call was from Canada. It will be interesting to see if they want me to work in Canada, considering the fact that I don't have a passport!

I'm most anxious to talk with the HR person and get more details.
-- Albert Einstein