Kyrie

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: Kyrie

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 25th, 2011, 4:54 am

I think we saw Kyrie play the last time for Duke last night. Our team looked out of sync in the 2nd half. And never recovered. Kyrie had alot of points. But we needed at least 20 + from Nolan, and more rebounds from the Bigs along with points.

I know Kyrie was upset. Coach K said he was upset and crying. The kid just turned 19, and got back into a uniform last Friday. Just 1 week back.

Sad way to the end of the season. Like Coach said, abrupt end.

Thanks Kyrie and thanks seniors!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 25th, 2011, 8:26 am

Coach K ripped Ken Tysiac a new one last night in the presser when Ken dared to ask about Kyrie's future plans.

I :romance-heartbeating: Coach K.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 25th, 2011, 8:32 am

CathyCA wrote:Coach K ripped Ken Tysiac a new one last night in the presser when Ken dared to ask about Kyrie's future plans.

I'd like to read/view/hear more about that one. I was too upset to watch/listen to any of the post-game fecal matter. tysiac is a tarhole hack outta charlotte so no surprise there.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 25th, 2011, 9:14 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Coach K ripped Ken Tysiac a new one last night in the presser when Ken dared to ask about Kyrie's future plans.

I'd like to read/view/hear more about that one. I was too upset to watch/listen to any of the post-game fecal matter. tysiac is a tarhole hack outta charlotte so no surprise there.
You should have seen Coach K's eyebrows when he said all of this. There was steam coming out of his ears:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... urnament/1

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » March 25th, 2011, 9:48 am

I'm sure there was steam and fire coming out of his eyes towards ol' Kenny....

If anything, wouldn't this leave you with an empty feeling, more of a reason to finish the job if you were Kyrie? I know that's probably wishful thinking and walking away from being the #1 pick is awful hard to do for any kid, but you just have to wonder....why would I go out like this when I don't have to.

Whatever he decides, he gave us great effort on the court and during his time out - with Nolan, supporting the team, etc. I won't hate him for it and it is completely different from our other 1-and-done's.

GO DUKE!! :duke:

:9f: :9f:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 25th, 2011, 1:56 pm

I listened to the postgame. Coach K ripped him a new one!!! GOOD for Mike!!!

And I don't know why Coach K granted a small half time interview. He nevers does that.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 25th, 2011, 2:16 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:I listened to the postgame. Coach K ripped him a new one!!! GOOD for Mike!!!

And I don't know why Coach K granted a small half time interview. He nevers does that.
I figured orders came down from someone that he needed to do the interview instead of Coach Collins, who usually does it.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 25th, 2011, 2:35 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:I listened to the postgame. Coach K ripped him a new one!!! GOOD for Mike!!!

That surprised me very much. He's even stated that he doesn't do them because they shouldn't even exist.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » March 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

That surprised me very much. He's even stated that he doesn't do them because they shouldn't even exist.
Contractual obligations as part of the NCAA Tournament. Has to be the Head Coach- no Associates.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Kyrie

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 6th, 2011, 8:48 pm

I wish I could have more generous feelings toward Kyrie's announcement like the rest of you nice people. But, I'm having a lot of trouble digging down deep to find 'em. Getting hurt and all wasn't his fault, of course. We win and lose as a team and he was still part of the team, no matter what. But, a little part of me still feels he owes us something. I know. I know. It's petty of me. Just thought if I confessed it out loud to my friends it would help me get past it.

While his attitude was super, and I'm sure he missed playing, I felt all year that everybody's focus was on him when the guys all needed to focus on themselves. We just weren't mentally tough, never really all on the same page, and I think Kyrie's being in the middle of things, while fun, was a huge distraction. The guys had to play on shifting sands all year long and when the all encompassing mystery of his return ended, it ended in disaster. The team lost themselves even more since the leader they had become accustomed to had no ball in his hands anymore. Indeed, even the leader found himself struggling to adjust once again. It cost him dearly. Dearly.

The sports medicine folks gave him world class care after his misfortune (for free) while his teammates and everybody else gave him all the support we could muster. And while everybody feels sorry for what he lost and proud of his attitude through it all, I'm more concerned with what his teammates gave up and much more proud of their attitude. It's clear they're bigger people than I am. I just know I'd feel guilty with all I took and didn't look for a way to pay back.

If I were in a foxhole, I'd want Kyle in there with me. Not Kyrie.

Bless his heart, I guess.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Well said Ima. I can easily see your point of view too.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 6th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I wish I could have more generous feelings toward Kyrie's announcement like the rest of you nice people. But, I'm having a lot of trouble digging down deep to find 'em. Getting hurt and all wasn't his fault, of course. We win and lose as a team and he was still part of the team, no matter what. But, a little part of me still feels he owes us something. I know. I know. It's petty of me. Just thought if I confessed it out loud to my friends it would help me get past it.

While his attitude was super, and I'm sure he missed playing, I felt all year that everybody's focus was on him when the guys all needed to focus on themselves. We just weren't mentally tough, never really all on the same page, and I think Kyrie's being in the middle of things, while fun, was a huge distraction. The guys had to play on shifting sands all year long and when the all encompassing mystery of his return ended, it ended in disaster. The team lost themselves even more since the leader they had become accustomed to had no ball in his hands anymore. Indeed, even the leader found himself struggling to adjust once again. It cost him dearly. Dearly.

The sports medicine folks gave him world class care after his misfortune (for free) while his teammates and everybody else gave him all the support we could muster. And while everybody feels sorry for what he lost and proud of his attitude through it all, I'm more concerned with what his teammates gave up and much more proud of their attitude. It's clear they're bigger people than I am. I just know I'd feel guilty with all I took and didn't look for a way to pay back.

Love, Ima
I see your point of view, as well. :ymhug:

If I were in a foxhole, I'd want Brian Zoubek. :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 6th, 2011, 9:03 pm

It will be interesting if we have this same discussion with Austin Rivers next year. At least Kyrie never declared himself as an intended one and done, Austin has.
While I hope Rivers works out for us, I'd still rather K avoid the ones who state they want to jump after one year. In Kyrie's comments posted on goduke.com, he said he pictured himself being at Duke for "two to three years". I don't blame him for his decision, I expected it. But I do feel better thinking that staying was his original intention.
DUKEBLUE252
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DUKEBLUE252 » April 6th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I wish I could have more generous feelings toward Kyrie's announcement like the rest of you nice people. But, I'm having a lot of trouble digging down deep to find 'em. Getting hurt and all wasn't his fault, of course. We win and lose as a team and he was still part of the team, no matter what. But, a little part of me still feels he owes us something. I know. I know. It's petty of me. Just thought if I confessed it out loud to my friends it would help me get past it.

Love, Ima

Im with you Ima. I feel like he just used the "Duke" name, and tossed the school aside
Not really excited about this
peace? PEACE??!! I hate the word, as i hate chapel hell, all tarholes, and roy.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 7th, 2011, 9:42 am

From My Duke Insider, still have it on my text message DATED MARCH 29

Kyrie wanted to stay at Duke and play another year. But his FATHER, insisted he leave for the NBA!

NO SURPRISE!

And then Kyrie went to New Jersey for the weekend, and stayed for 5 days! He certainly didnt have any Duke Influence or his teammates influence while in New Jersey.

I personally feel that the NBA rule should be if you want to Go out of High School........ then GO! If you are the talent of Kobe or LeBron, then go directly out of High School.

However, when you enter College and commit to College, then I personally believe, it should be a 2 year committment. 2 years, and not 1. Lets look at this Kyrie situation.. plays 8 wonderful games, goes down with a major short term injury, and comes back in post season for 3 games. 1 was a blow out (Hampton) and Michigan was very very close, and Zona blew right by Duke.

I personally wanted Kyrie to Lead the Blue Devils next year, with his teammates, and wonderful new recruits.

Good Luck young man! I certainly hope your Daddy is right about this decision, at this time. YOU certainly wore the #1 Duke jersey with leadership and pride! I will miss that!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 7th, 2011, 10:28 am

While I can't speak for any but myself, It should be thoroughly understood that he didn't have to enroll in anything after high school. It should be always remembered that he gave all he had, for the short time he was here. Also, he had available to him a choice of nearly anywhere he wanted to go, with the talent he has.
I do fall into the category of those that would prefer he stayed in school. It would serve him for the best, in the long run, but to use a phrase I can't stand in the least, "It is what it is." :twitch:
Now I think I need to wash my hands after typing that. :ymsick:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 7th, 2011, 10:56 am

What I'm about to write may not be a very popular opinion around here:

I wonder how many classes he attended while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many papers he wrote while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many tests he studied for while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many books he checked out from Perkins while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many hours he spent working on his academics while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many hours he sat around playing video games or sitting in the C.I. or wherever the pretty people hang out while he was rehabbing his toe.

If you're going to come to my school, where I, my parents, my grandfather, my ExLax, my uncles and my aunts, and many of my dearest friends put forth our very best academic efforts, then I expect that you, too, should put forth your best academic efforts as well. After all, Duke is first and foremost a place of learning, knowledge and erudition. Our students do other things well, too, but even a student-athlete is a student first. If you're not going to put forth your best academic efforts at my school, then I think it's best that you leave quickly and quietly.

I've already put someone in my rear view mirror.

I'm looking forward to going to the Men's Basketball Banquet next Friday evening and celebrating the accomplishments, including the impending graduations, of our fabulous seniors, who, unlike he who shall not be named, managed to win a National Championship while at Duke. Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith and Casey Peters represent everything good about my university. I salute them, and I celebrate their accomplishments.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 7th, 2011, 11:01 am

CathyCA wrote:What I'm about to write may not be a very popular opinion around here:

I wonder how many classes he attended while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many papers he wrote while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many tests he studied for while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many books he checked out from Perkins while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many hours he spent working on his academics while he was rehabbing his toe. I wonder how many hours he sat around playing video games or sitting in the C.I. or wherever the pretty people hang out while he was rehabbing his toe.

If you're going to come to my school, where I, my parents, my grandfather, my ExLax, my uncles and my aunts, and many of my dearest friends put forth our very best academic efforts, then I expect that you, too, should put forth your best academic efforts as well. After all, Duke is first and foremost a place of learning, knowledge and erudition. Our students do other things well, too, but even a student-athlete is a student first. If you're not going to put forth your best academic efforts at my school, then I think it's best that you leave quickly and quietly.

I've already put someone in my rear view mirror.

I'm looking forward to going to the Men's Basketball Banquet next Friday evening and celebrating the accomplishments, including the impending graduations, of our fabulous seniors, who, unlike he who shall not be named, managed to win a National Championship while at Duke. Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith and Casey Peters represent everything good about my university. I salute them, and I celebrate their accomplishments.

We of course have no idea the answer to that question, but by all accounts he was a solid student coming to Duke, I imagine he was one while he was here. He even addressed the academics some in his comments on his video posted on goduke.com. I'm really impressed in how well spoken he is.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 7th, 2011, 1:17 pm

I listened to the entire video of Kyrie on GoDuke.com. He is a very good communicator and spoke with maturity and self confidence. Kyrie's words and diction were excellent. Unlike, other athletes or even entertainers, or singers, etc, that cant put together entire sentences. The interview was excellent for a college freshman.

Kyrie was a good student coming into Duke! I know he went to class, and did his papers! REHABBING THE TOE doesnt take all day. Kenny King does an excellent job with the Mens Basketball team, with scheduling their classes, and making sure each one is completing their projects and assignments on time.

Kyrie is not one of the UNC football team (ex football team) players that cheated with tutors or was tossed off the team in violation of NCAA rules.

Someone might come from a line of legacy alum at at particular university or college, SO WHAT!

If Kyrie would have remained in college for 4 years, he would Graduate, period! Duke Graduates their students and Student Athletes.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 7th, 2011, 1:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:If I were in a foxhole, I'd want Brian Zoubek. :duke:
I'd want Patrick Johnson. :D
Life is good!