Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

What will we call the other board?

Poll ended at June 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm

TOWEL
50%
TOBY
13%
TBTSNBN
38%

Total votes: 16
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Post by TillyGalore » May 14th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:http://www.beggingtodiffer.com

I lurked there this morning. Their current topics range from PPB stuff (future of the Republican party, General Motors) to American Idol to Facebook to planning a gathering of their posters. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I saw some names I recognized from DBR and some from here.

It looks like a nice place.
I agree with CathyCA. Glad to see some of the names from the old DBR. Genedoc's bee story is downright freaky.
Agree with both CathyCa and Lavabe (anyone notice that rhymes). Genedoc's story makes me want to hire a bee keeper to see if there are any bees in my walls. I don't see or hear anything, but apparently that doesn't mean they aren't there.
I worship the Blue Devil!
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » May 14th, 2009, 1:00 pm

CBB, I don't really know any more about the finances than I've already said.

I come and go at BTD.

This obsession with post counts is really, I think, one of the key points of contention between posters here and the one or two members of moderation team who were involved in the great OTB conflict of 2009. There's been some talk about getting rid of post counts at DBR altogether in hopes that it will discourage quantity for quantity's sake. I don't know whether that would work or not, but it would definitely remove a marker of perceived status.

Post counts were much smaller pre-2007 because of the nature of James' software.

Plenty of people are posting at both places. I don't understand why there has to be some sort of war.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 1:12 pm

throatybeard wrote:
This obsession with post counts is really, I think, one of the key points of contention between posters here and the one or two members of moderation team who were involved in the great OTB conflict of 2009. There's been some talk about getting rid of post counts at DBR altogether in hopes that it will discourage quantity for quantity's sake. I don't know whether that would work or not, but it would definitely remove a marker of perceived status.
It has nothing to do with perceived status or an obsession with post counts. It has everything to do with having people with 1500+ posts (ie. very active and regular members of the community) being told how they can or cannot act and whether they are or are not welcome - especially when some mods at DBR have far fewer posts than those they are moderating (ie. they are not active and regular members of the community). To follow along with the stupid neighborhood pub crap that they constantly spout at DBR - should someone who goes to a pub once a month be able to tell a daily regular what to do in that pub? And I'm not even going to get into the bullshit attitudes that many of the mods have over there. You want to chastise people for perceiving status? Fine, but start with the mods because they are the worst of the bunch.

I don't understand why there has to be some sort of war.
There isn't a wart - some people are just pissed off with the way they were, or are, treated over there. If you can't see that then it's likely because you're choosing not to see it.

ETA: And another thing. Your post here complaining that some people seem to have an obsession with post counts (to me it is more of a joke about how much time I waste online and I am sure this is true for others as well) is a prime example of the double standard that exists over at DBR. There has been a long-standing joke about Jason Evans' posting totals. Shit, he even lists himself as "Moderator and post-a-matic". So it is alright for Jason, a mod, to boast openly about his posting habits but it isn't alright for others to discuss their posting habits or post counts? Talk about a double standard. It astounds me that you can't see that it is the double standard(s) that so bother people.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 14th, 2009, 1:14 pm

throatybeard wrote:CBB, I don't really know any more about the finances than I've already said.

I come and go at BTD.

Post counts were much smaller pre-2007 because of the nature of James' software.

Plenty of people are posting at both places. I don't understand why there has to be some sort of war.
Thanks Throaty. I'm positive removing the post count would reduce the number of posts for posting sake, but as a member without PWing interest (seriously), I like to see the count of others. It doesn't mean that what they have to say is any better than anyone else, but it does reflect that what they contribute might be worth paying attention to. (In opposite of that, the Kentucky fan who posted on the Wall thread had 2 excellent posts, and those were his only 2).
Also...
throatybeard wrote: the great OTB conflict of 2009.
That is just flat out funny. :))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 1:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
throatybeard wrote: the great OTB conflict of 2009.
That is just flat out funny. :))

I agree.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » May 14th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Is there a war? I don't feel like I'm involved in a war. I still post both places, of course, so maybe I'm some sort of double agent.

I think some moderators, not all, have behaved in ways that have made some posters, not all, feel unwelcome, so they left. I think the offended posters (and let me interject here that I think they were definitely treated poorly by one or two moderators) feel that the behavior of the moderators was such that had they not been moderators, they would have received infractions. If you're being bullyed, why would you continue to play somewhere? And again, if you're being bullyed, you have a right to be angry. And you might want to talk about it with your friends.

I'm feeling just a little bit guilty now for starting the LTE, as I think it started focusing attention on post counts. You have read the thread, yes? Do you know what my reasons for starting it were? I have wondered if that's why it's been allowed to stay. The LTE became a it's own little room in the neighborhood bar that is the DBR message board. We sucked up a lot of topics that might at one point have been their own threads and yes, many of us post there just to post something but I fail to see that there is anything inherently wrong with that. I post silly statements in the LTE mostly as a way of saying, hi, I'm here, what's up. Really, why do some moderators care if posters like taking note of their post counts? I don't think of it as a status issue, more of a longtime loyalty marker. We've been friends since I was at post 11! That kind of thing. Still, I didn't put in the Duke players stats, I think that was a moderator, so I'm not the only one who has paid attention to post counts!
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I don't think of it as a status issue, more of a longtime loyalty marker.

An excellent way of putting it.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Is there a war? I don't feel like I'm involved in a war. I still post both places, of course, so maybe I'm some sort of double agent.

I think some moderators, not all, have behaved in ways that have made some posters, not all, feel unwelcome, so they left. I think the offended posters (and let me interject here that I think they were definitely treated poorly by one or two moderators) feel that the behavior of the moderators was such that had they not been moderators, they would have received infractions. If you're being bullyed, why would you continue to play somewhere? And again, if you're being bullyed, you have a right to be angry. And you might want to talk about it with your friends.

I'm feeling just a little bit guilty now for starting the LTE, as I think it started focusing attention on post counts. You have read the thread, yes? Do you know what my reasons for starting it were? I have wondered if that's why it's been allowed to stay. The LTE became a it's own little room in the neighborhood bar that is the DBR message board. We sucked up a lot of topics that might at one point have been their own threads and yes, many of us post there just to post something but I fail to see that there is anything inherently wrong with that. I post silly statements in the LTE mostly as a way of saying, hi, I'm here, what's up. Really, why do some moderators care if posters like taking note of their post counts? I don't think of it as a status issue, more of a longtime loyalty marker. We've been friends since I was at post 11! That kind of thing. Still, I didn't put in the Duke players stats, I think that was a moderator, so I'm not the only one who has paid attention to post counts!
Amen to all of this, especially about the post counts not being a "marker of status," but rather a "badge of loyalty." Should not DBR want people to feel compelled to keep coming back and remain active in the forum, regardless of why they want to return and post again (and again and again)?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 14th, 2009, 1:53 pm

throatybeard wrote:This obsession with post counts is really, I think, one of the key points of contention between posters here and the one or two members of moderation team who were involved in the great OTB conflict of 2009. There's been some talk about getting rid of post counts at DBR altogether in hopes that it will discourage quantity for quantity's sake. I don't know whether that would work or not, but it would definitely remove a marker of perceived status.

The sole point of contention is the way that certain posters were treated by certain mods.

Had non-mods reacted the way certain mods reacted (and I note that it's not ALL mods, not MOST mods, but a FEW mods), they would have gotten infraction points, or been banned. Instead, the mods circled their wagons and refused to call out their own. It smacked of hypocrisy. Like many of us here, I decided to walk away from the DBR pub/living room/rec room and find another place to hang out.

I like it over here. (~~)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I tend to look at some combination of post count and date joined. The relation between post count and join date tells me a little something about the poster, just something that i keep in the back of my mind. Probably stupid, I know, but I do see it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » May 14th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Well none of the join dates are old at DBR, because of the migration to the new software in Feb 2007. People who joined in 1997 have the same join date as people from 2006.

I more or less quit the Scout boards like TDD when they went to awful newer software in, I think it was also 2007. But before that I made my way around them, and I noticed that both IC and the Wake Forest board did not display post count.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Yeah, I know about that. It really bummed me out, cause I was away for awhile cause I had kid and internet issues when that switch was made, so I got to the party a month or so late. I hate not having a Feb '07 join date there. I think I ORIGINALLY joined DBR back in around 1998 or 1999.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Oh, forgot to add... you can still kind of look at the join dates over there. There's everybody that was around before the switch (who have join dates at or soon after Feb. '07), and everybody else.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 14th, 2009, 3:20 pm

throatybeard wrote:Plenty of people are posting at both places. I don't understand why there has to be some sort of war.
I'm reminded of a Ymo post from ages ago. And now, everytime I see an OTB reference, I feel the need to place $2 down on Rachel Alexandra. Perhaps we need to rename the OTB. :roll:

My reluctance to post there has NOTHING to do with post counts. It has everything to do with the attitudes and behavior of a few mods. It simply makes posting there uncomfortable. I am more used to posting at places that tend to follow these guidelines:
http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

In the spirit of CBaB's earlier post, I'll handle any specifics throaty wants in PM form, not over the boards. But as an example, this week's "we are smarter than you are" comment GREATLY bothers me. There is no justification for it, whatsoever. Why would I want to post when that attitude (the attitude of "The Management") is being expressed by the moderators? As a result, I am simply avoiding the other board yonder. I have neither the time nor the heart for it.

I agree with most of what colchar, rmd, and wilson have said. However, as for the naming issue (the substance of bjornolf's original post), if wilson gets to call it TOWEL, I reserve the right to call it the DB Arrr! :ar! . Remember, CrazieTalk has better smilies! :-bd :ar!

I'm now taking a Yogi Berra approach to the DBArrr :ar! : You can observe a lot just by watching.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Lavabe wrote: if wilson gets to call it TOWEL, I reserve the right to call it the DB Arrr! :ar! . Remember, CrazieTalk has better smilies! :-bd :ar!

I think Wilson should be the only one allowed to refer to it as DB Arrr! :ar! . In fact, I don't think he should be allowed to call it anything else.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Ya just broke yer own rule, ya scallywag! :ar!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 14th, 2009, 4:23 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote: if wilson gets to call it TOWEL, I reserve the right to call it the DB Arrr! :ar! . Remember, CrazieTalk has better smilies! :-bd :ar!

I think Wilson should be the only one allowed to refer to it as DB Arrr! :ar! . In fact, I don't think he should be allowed to call it anything else.
I hate to point this out, but I believe that I get credit for first use of DBArrrrrr! :ar! on the upper part of page 3 of this thread. You remember... it was right after bjornolf called me a "frakkin' genius." \m/

I'm not sure that I want to be a frakkin' anything. :-?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 4:34 pm

colchar wrote:
I'm totally on board with this, though typing DB Arrr! :ar! is something of a handful. Wonder if I could establish a keyboard shortcut for it?
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 4:39 pm

I'm sure you could.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Lavabe wrote:
I hate to point this out, but I believe that I get credit for first use of DBArrrrrr! :ar! on the upper part of page 3 of this thread. You remember... it was right after bjornolf called me a "frakkin' genius." \m/

I'm not sure that I want to be a frakkin' anything. :-?

Fair enough. But until you have an avatar showing you in a pirate costume you're pretty much fucked on this one.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------