Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2009, 11:33 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Okay, DD, unless you're talking about Chutzpah, I don't want anything to do with a massive meat sandwich involving you. No offense. ;)

%%-
Trying to find the Chutzpah reference and having no success. Is that the name of the deli in NOVA that is supposed to rival/exceed the Carnegie?

Anyway, I was referring to the ginormous corned beef and/or pastrami sammiches and NOTHING else. :oops: :D
DD - check this out.... http://washington.dc.diningguide.com/data/d103654.htm
Hmm, ginormous sandwiches, son living in DC, 'tinis, local beverage stores...

We'll be looking at our summer schedule... :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 11th, 2009, 7:49 am

I don't think I'd say it exceeds the Carnegie. I DO think it rivals the Carnegie in the food department. However, Carnegie has a lot going for it in the ambiance and history categories that definitely make it an "experience" not to be missed. I was just saying I thought that they had suffered a little from their own success, and I prefer a nice, neighborhood deli experience to waiting in line for hours for the disney world of delis. It was just a little bit of a letdown after all the hype. That's all. Plus, I only have to travel 30 minutes for the Chutzpah, not five hours plus a hotel stay. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 12:36 am

bjornolf wrote:I don't think I'd say it exceeds the Carnegie. I DO think it rivals the Carnegie in the food department. However, Carnegie has a lot going for it in the ambiance and history categories that definitely make it an "experience" not to be missed. I was just saying I thought that they had suffered a little from their own success, and I prefer a nice, neighborhood deli experience to waiting in line for hours for the disney world of delis. It was just a little bit of a letdown after all the hype. That's all. Plus, I only have to travel 30 minutes for the Chutzpah, not five hours plus a hotel stay. ;)

%%-
Those are certainly excellent points. My drive to NOVA is less than 4 hours... :D

And if Ozzie, Cathy, Tilly and the Mrs. accompany me, it makes it even a shorter trip. :D :D
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 13th, 2009, 9:08 am

Where exactly do you live, DD? Cause the drive from my dorm at Duke to my parents was about 3.5 hours, and the bone and I live a good 30 minutes closer than that.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 13th, 2009, 1:03 pm

bjornolf wrote:Where exactly do you live, DD? Cause the drive from my dorm at Duke to my parents was about 3.5 hours, and the bone and I live a good 30 minutes closer than that.

%%-
It takes me 4 hours from Greenville to Chris's house. It's a shorter drive from Durham, but I'd imagine it's longer from Raleigh since you can't get to a northbound interstate easily from our capital city.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 4:30 pm

bjornolf wrote:Where exactly do you live, DD? Cause the drive from my dorm at Duke to my parents was about 3.5 hours, and the bone and I live a good 30 minutes closer than that.

%%-
NOROTB

That would be:

North
Raleigh
Outside
The
Beltline
:D ;)

If traffic is reasonable, we can make it to the I-495/95 junction in about 3.5 hours travelling at about 5-7 MPH over posted speeds and assuming no pit stops. It may take a bit less time if we are REALLY hungry and the sammiches are REALLY big. :oops: :lol: :D
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 13th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Do you take 295 around Richmond? It's SO much better. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 6:14 pm

bjornolf wrote:Do you take 295 around Richmond? It's SO much better. ;)

%%-
We do not because we go from I-85 to I-95 several miles north of where I-295 re-connects with I-95 south of Petersburg.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 13th, 2009, 10:14 pm

This is the RECIPE Thread, people, not the Driving Directions thread! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2009, 12:03 am

DevilAlumna wrote:This is the RECIPE Thread, people, not the Driving Directions thread! ;)
Yea, but we're discussing directions to ginormous (reportedly) sammiches in NOVA. :D ;)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 14th, 2009, 9:32 am

devildeac wrote:

%%-
We do not because we go from I-85 to I-95 several miles north of where I-295 re-connects with I-95 south of Petersburg.
Right. Here's what you do. As a guy who drove to Duke for four years from NoVA, I've discovered that this is by FAR the best route. I've hit bad traffic in Richmond at 2 am. 295 just helps you avoid any of the possible problems, and its speed limit is higher. Plus, it has a really cool suspension bridge where the towers and cables run along the center of the bridge instead of on the outside. If there is NO traffic in Richmond (5% of the time), it's about ten minutes faster to go through. If there's ANY traffic in Richmond at all, it's WAY faster to take 295. So anyway, you take Rte. 460 through Petersburg, VA. It's soon after Squirrel Level Rd on I-85, a name which still cracks me up to this day. Anyway, it goes straight from I-85 to 295 around Richmond. It's also about halfway, so it's a good spot to top off on fuel and stretch a cramped butt. Right before you get to 295, there's a retro McDonald's that's worth seeing even if you don't eat there. It's fun with all the pictures of Elvis and the jukebox. Back when I was at Duke in the mid 90's, they even had the infamous McPizza. :-o Just make sure you stick close to the speed limit when you're actually in Petersburg, cause it goes down in town and they use it as a speed trap. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2009, 3:31 pm

bjornolf wrote:
devildeac wrote:

%%-
Right. Here's what you do. As a guy who drove to Duke for four years from NoVA, I've discovered that this is by FAR the best route. I've hit bad traffic in Richmond at 2 am. 295 just helps you avoid any of the possible problems, and its speed limit is higher. Plus, it has a really cool suspension bridge where the towers and cables run along the center of the bridge instead of on the outside. If there is NO traffic in Richmond (5% of the time), it's about ten minutes faster to go through. If there's ANY traffic in Richmond at all, it's WAY faster to take 295. So anyway, you take Rte. 460 through Petersburg, VA. It's soon after Squirrel Level Rd on I-85, a name which still cracks me up to this day. Anyway, it goes straight from I-85 to 295 around Richmond. It's also about halfway, so it's a good spot to top off on fuel and stretch a cramped butt. Right before you get to 295, there's a retro McDonald's that's worth seeing even if you don't eat there. It's fun with all the pictures of Elvis and the jukebox. Back when I was at Duke in the mid 90's, they even had the infamous McPizza. :-o Just make sure you stick close to the speed limit when you're actually in Petersburg, cause it goes down in town and they use it as a speed trap. ;)

%%-
We'll have to try that. Never thought of that. Thanks.

Now, back to food, recipes... :roll: ;)
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 14th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Anyone have a good cole slaw recipe - something creamy/mayonnaise-based, for going with the BBQ pork that's currently in my oven?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 14th, 2009, 9:09 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Anyone have a good cole slaw recipe - something creamy/mayonnaise-based, for going with the BBQ pork that's currently in my oven?
I always buy one of those mixes in the pouch that they sell in the store. Our neighbor gave us two big cabbage heads today, so if anyone has a recipe, I'll try it too.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » June 14th, 2009, 9:34 pm

bjornolf wrote:
devildeac wrote:

%%-

%%-
Before I get to posting some recipes I've been saving up, I need to add something else. I've been doing the drive from Durham to NJ for going on 15 years now. If I'm concerned about traffic in Richmond, I'll also cut over to 295. But I go a different way. Go all the way up I-85 and get on I-95 going N. About five miles up is an exit for Route 10 Chester/Hopewell. Get off here, turn right and go East. Stop at the WaWa and pick up an Italian Hoagie. Keep going east another mile and get on 295.

What can I say, I'm from suburban Philly and I need to get my WaWa Hoagie fix as soon as I can.

See now it's about food!
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 14th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Ok so I've been traveling a ton this last month and haven't been around much. But I've still been cooking and have a few things to share.

MrsUsul has been asking for more fish. It's summer and I like to grill. But I get so irritated with my fish grill basket - no matter how I grease it it always gets so much fish stuck to it, it's such a pain to clean. It's really caused an aversion to grilling fish, which is so sad!

So I decided to experiment with grilling fish en papillote (learned that one from my idol, Alton Brown). The papillote in this case being aluminum foil for the grill.

Tomato Basil Salmon

6 oz salmon fillet
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C chopped tomato
3 basil leaves
3 Tbsp white wine
salt and pepper

Rip off a piece of aluminum foil enough to give you 3-4 inches around each side of the fillet after the foil is folded over. Lay the foil "vertically."
Grease a spot in the middle of the bottom half of the foil with some of the oil. Place fillet.
Season fillet with salt and pepper.
Place tomatoes and basil on top of fillet.
Season tomatoes and basil.
Drizzle white wine.
Drizzle remaining oil.
Fold top half of foil over bottom half. Fold the three edges over several times to seal. Be careful as the liquid inside may try to escape.

Asian Mahi-Mahi

6 oz Mahi fillet
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbps rice wine vinegar/Mirin
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp "rooster sauce" (Tuong Ot Sriracha or I prefer Tuong Ot Toi)
1 tsp five spice powder
salt and pepper
1/4 Cup julienned red/yellow peppers and onion mixture

Mix the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and rooster sauce in a bowl.
Rip off a piece of aluminum foil enough to give you 3-4 inches around each side of the fillet after the foil is folded over. Lay the foil "vertically."
Grease a spot in the middle of the bottom half of the foil with some of the oil. Place fillet.
Season fillet with salt, pepper and five spice powder.
Drizzle over the liquid mixture.
Place peppers/onions on top of fillet.
Fold top half of foil over bottom half. Fold the three edges over several times to seal. Be careful as the liquid inside may try to escape.

For both above, heat the grill to medium-low to medium. Place foil packets on grill (put the Mahi with the pepper/onion side face down) and cook undisturbed for 12 minutes (roughly - depending on thickness of fillet and temperature). Be careful not to puncture the foil.
Last edited by DukeUsul on June 14th, 2009, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 14th, 2009, 9:53 pm

I think it was rockymtn a few pages back who posted a spicy rubbed pork tenderloin. I really want to try that! I do something a bit similar.

Rub:
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (adjust for your heat level)

Rub all over the tenderloin. Let stand for 20 minutes. Follow rockymtns directions to cook, they were perfect.

ETA: Let me add that I cook the tenderloin to an internal temperature of around 145/150, take it off the grill, and keep it warm for 10 minutes under foil. It usually ends up just slightly pink this way, but incredibly tender and juicy.
Last edited by DukeUsul on June 14th, 2009, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 14th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Seven Bean Salad

1 C of your favorite color(s) bell peppers
1/2 C chopped onion
1 C green and/or wax beans, chopped into 1/2 in pieces
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can soy beans
1 can black-eyed peas
1/4 C champagne wine vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 C olive oil
your favorite fresh herbs, cut chiffonade

Steam and blanch the green/wax beans. Cool.
Open the cans, rinse and drain the beans.
Mix the beans, beans, beans, beans, beans, beans, beans, peppers and onions together.
Place vinegar in empty bowl.
Add mustard to vinegar. Whisk to combine.
Drizzle olive oil into vinegar mixture while whisking.
Add salt, pepper, herbs to taste.
Pour dressing over bean mixture.
Chill and serve.
-- DukeUsul
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 14th, 2009, 10:45 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
wilson wrote:I made pulled pork the other night, and as ever, it was damn good. This is a great party recipe; it yields about 6 pounds at roughly 3 bucks a pound.

Recipe:

Get a pork shoulder or Boston Butt (it might also be labelled as a "picnic shoulder" or something similar). These cuts will generally be somewhere between 4 and 7 pounds. The ones at my local store are always right around 6 or 6.5 pounds, including a bone. You may or may not have a bone in yours; remember that if you do, it will up your cooking time a little. Happily, though, this is another of those recipes that's pretty hard to overcook, and that thrives on inexactness and "feel".

Trim any excess fat from the meat and rub the skin generously with the following spice mixture:

- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (I usually toss in a bit extra for good measure)
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper
- a dash (or two) of ground cloves
- a dash (or two) of cinnamon

The above mix will probably leave you with extra. Cut the ingredients down if you like; the general proportions are the important thing.

After you rub your meat down, brown it on all sides on the stove top with a couple of tablespoons of oil (this can be kind of tricky, and you may have to just stand there and hold it up with a fork while, for instance, the ends are browning). Be sure to brown all sides; this seals the juices in. Don't worry if it gets a little black on a side or two; this will only add good flavor later.
Then cover with a lid or foil and bake it at 325 for 4-4.5 hours.
It's best to brown the shoulder in pot that's safe for both stove top and oven use, so you don't have to transfer the meat and sully two vessels, but it's not too much trouble to transfer if you don't have such a pot. If you have to switch vessels, be sure and transfer any drippings or juice into the pot.
About halfway through the cooking, pour a cup of apple cider vinegar slowly and evenly all over the top of your shoulder.

While you're cooking, make your vinegar sauce (this is proper barbecue we're making here, folks):

- 6 oz. apple cider vinegar
- 6 oz. white or white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste (I like kind of a lot)
- a few shakes of hot sauce, to taste

Put all of the above in a bottle or Mason jar and give it all a good shake. The longer you steep it all, the more your sauce's flavors will develop.

Check your shoulder at four hours' cooking time. If the meat kind of "crumbles" when you stick a meat fork in and give it a twist, it's ready...it should feel very tender. Transfer it to a bowl, shake in 3 oz. or so of your vinegar sauce, and skim off half a dozen or so tablespoons of the pan juices from your cooking vessel. I also like to squeeze in a few ounces of "regular" bbq sauce (KC Masterpiece or whatever). Your shoulder will be easy to shred with two big forks. Shred/stir it and get all of your juices and sauce evenly distributed, and you're good to go. I'll assume you all know how to properly serve and consume barbecue (for those of you who don't, it's on a lightly-toasted bun with a thin layer of sweet coleslaw, a shake of vinegar sauce, and five dill pickle chips).
BTTT - just found out my local grocery store was having a 40% off all meat sale, so bought me a huge hunk o' pork shoulder to try out this recipe sometime soon. ($1.97/lb - how could I pass it up!?) Wilson's recipe sounds absolutely fabulous, AND there's nothing resembling real NC BBQ anywhere within this time zone, apparently, so I can barely wait to get this going.

Oh my sweet, dear lord, this was divine. Wilson, you done yourself proud.

I cut the rub proportions down by half, for my 3lb. roast, and it was just the right amount to cover the shoulder. I let it cook for about 3.75 hours, and took your tip to mix the pork with some of the vinegar sauce and some "real" sauce (a local, Trilby's - best sauce evahr). Ymm, ymm, ymm.

Mr. DA hasn't ever really had good pulled pork, NC-style - he went back for thirds. If I weren't so absotively stuffed, I'd still be eating it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2009, 10:45 pm

%%-[/quote]

We do not because we go from I-85 to I-95 several miles north of where I-295 re-connects with I-95 south of Petersburg.[/quote]

%%-[/quote]
Before I get to posting some recipes I've been saving up, I need to add something else. I've been doing the drive from Durham to NJ for going on 15 years now. If I'm concerned about traffic in Richmond, I'll also cut over to 295. But I go a different way. Go all the way up I-85 and get on I-95 going N. About five miles up is an exit for Route 10 Chester/Hopewell. Get off here, turn right and go East. Stop at the WaWa and pick up an Italian Hoagie. Keep going east another mile and get on 295.

What can I say, I'm from suburban Philly and I need to get my WaWa Hoagie fix as soon as I can.

See now it's about food![/quote]

Are those hoagies any good? We have taken that "cut-through" before when heading over to W'burg but not to other parts north. I figgered it was out of the way when heading to DC/Philly.