Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 13th, 2010, 11:35 pm

devildeac wrote:The kinda low ABV allowed the opportunity to enjoy another brew that had never crossed my lips before, the Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide. But, that's another post ;) :D .
Ahhhh, but it's a post we look forward too.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Fort Collins Rocky Mountain IPA-Spruce and floral hops here in this nicely balanced quality brew. Yellow-golden with a 2 fingered foamy head which lingers throughout the tasting. A tad low on the ABV at 6.4% and almost massively hopped at 80 IBU. This would be fine with spicy grilled fare or fruity grilled dishes. A trader from one of the local beer lovers but I still :-* ya, CB&B and 8-X .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 11:07 pm

8 Ball Stout-Lost Coast Brewing-Another trader from/with my new Raleigh beer buddy ;) :D . Solid session beer with a bit more hoppiness than I woulda thought with mild notes of expresso and dark chocolate. A bit thin in texture but still a deep brown brew that would be fine with smoked dishes. I'd guess 40-50 with the IBU and it is 5.5 % ABV from their web site. I got two of these so I think CB&B will see one in his trader next week. ;) :D This and the FCB IPA were new brews to my taste buds.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Red's Rye PA Ale-Founders-Not quite sure why they have PA and Ale on the label. This is really a fine "hybrid." Think Killian's and Hop Devil. The Amarillo dry hopping lends a pungent grapefruit flavor and they have 4 Belgian malts in the brew which renders balance to this reddish-orange brew that really is more of an IPA than a PA. The IBU are a bit surprising at 70 and the ABV is a manageable 6.6%. I'll have a Lagunitas a bit later to compare. The rye malt added to this makes it a bit smoother but no mustiness as CB&B mentioned when he had one of the Terrapin brews, IIRC. I got a really nice variety 6er from one of the reps here, but, one again, I still :ymhug: ya 8-X and CB&B.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » January 15th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Ska Brewing Co. Euphoria Pale Ale:

I know we have at least one Ska lover here (CB&B is a fan of the ESB IIRC), so I figured I'd post a review. This is a canned beer, and, given that it's a Colorado American Pale Ale, it is destined to be compared to Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale. If that's its measuring stick, it falls a bit short. This beer smells the part with a lovely floral aroma (it's literally so floral that I can't pick out individual flavors). On nose alone this beer is a winner. The flavor has a hint of cannabis and citrus, but mostly it's an overwhelming bitterness that comes across as medicinal. If you like a PA that kills your palate, this is the beer for you. If you prefer a little more balance (not to mention a bit more grapefuit!), I'd go with Dale's. Not a bad beer, and certainly worth a sixer, but not something to seek out either. If you like Ska, stick with their IIPA.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2010, 12:03 am

Lagunitas IPA-Now this really tastes like a pale ale. :-\ . The IBU are 45 and I'd estimate the ABV to be about 6%. Very pleasant on the palate with flowers and pale and caramel malts. A lighter-golden-yellow with a modest 1 finger head. I'd enjoy this with some lighter grilled fish or chicken or nachos without the hot stuff. I have not been a big fan of this brewery but also admit I have not tried many of their products. Good to share and a pleasant session brew. I'm about finished my 6er from last week that the rep owed me from his missed appointment from New Year's week. I'll be ready to meet CB&B for another home brew or too and to see what he selects from TW on his trip to the Triangle next week. =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2010, 11:13 am

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout-Great Divide-This was my dessert after the pulled pork, slaw and fries which were washed down with the Magic Hat Howl. What a complex beer! Served too cold in about an 8 ounce snifter-type glass, I let it warm for about 15 minutes and then sipped this onyx elixir. Small, tan head and many different flavors of molasses, dark dried fruits and bittersweet chocolate and expresso. I'd guess the IBU to be about 70. It is not for the faint of tongue or palate. It even tasted a bit peppery. ABV was a massive 9.5% and this gave it a more than a bit of booziness. The oak aging imparts a bit of smoothness, vanilla and woody character to the taste, too. I'd love to sample their chocolate and expresso imperial stouts. Ozzie didn't like this too much but I found it to be a fascinating beverage. I am also glad they did not have Hibernation Ale as I prolly woulda tried that, too :ymblushing: .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 16th, 2010, 3:21 pm

devildeac wrote:Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout-Great Divide-This was my dessert after the pulled pork, slaw and fries which were washed down with the Magic Hat Howl. What a complex beer! Served too cold in about an 8 ounce snifter-type glass, I let it warm for about 15 minutes and then sipped this onyx elixir. Small, tan head and many different flavors of molasses, dark dried fruits and bittersweet chocolate and expresso. I'd guess the IBU to be about 70. It is not for the faint of tongue or palate. It even tasted a bit peppery. ABV was a massive 9.5% and this gave it a more than a bit of booziness. The oak aging imparts a bit of smoothness, vanilla and woody character to the taste, too. I'd love to sample their chocolate and expresso imperial stouts. Ozzie didn't like this too much but I found it to be a fascinating beverage. I am also glad they did not have Hibernation Ale as I prolly woulda tried that, too :ymblushing: .
Nope. I didn't like this one at all. Far too bitter on first taste, and it didn't get any better on a second.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 16th, 2010, 3:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Nope. I didn't like this one at all. Far too bitter on first taste, and it didn't get any better on a second.
But good to know you gave it the second chance. :ymapplause:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2010, 3:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout-Great Divide-This was my dessert after the pulled pork, slaw and fries which were washed down with the Magic Hat Howl. What a complex beer! Served too cold in about an 8 ounce snifter-type glass, I let it warm for about 15 minutes and then sipped this onyx elixir. Small, tan head and many different flavors of molasses, dark dried fruits and bittersweet chocolate and expresso. I'd guess the IBU to be about 70. It is not for the faint of tongue or palate. It even tasted a bit peppery. ABV was a massive 9.5% and this gave it a more than a bit of booziness. The oak aging imparts a bit of smoothness, vanilla and woody character to the taste, too. I'd love to sample their chocolate and expresso imperial stouts. Ozzie didn't like this too much but I found it to be a fascinating beverage. I am also glad they did not have Hibernation Ale as I prolly woulda tried that, too :ymblushing: .
Nope. I didn't like this one at all. Far too bitter on first taste, and it didn't get any better on a second.
I gotta :clap: Ozzie though as he did enjoy Howl, a dark winter lager and, in fact, he had a 2nd pint of it. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Found a bomber of this at Total Wine this afternoon and shared it with friends after dinner tonight:

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm ... did=139981

Harpoon Ginger Wheat-100 barrel series.

Pleasant beer. Pours a slightly golden-yellow with a modest head with citrus flavors of lemon juice in the brewing process (very faint) and a bit orange-y from the wheat malt. The ginger is the dominant flavor here but is not overpowering. Minimal sweetness from the honey. IBU are low at 18 so even Ozzie might enjoy this brew ;) :D . The ABV is a bit higher than expected for a wheat ale at 7%. This would actually make a very nice pair with some light appetizers or with a plate of fruit for dessert. Prolly would be a bit better as a spring/summer ale, too, but it was refreshing after dinner tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2010, 11:45 pm

Sierra Nevada Glissade-a golden bock-Yep, it's a lager; pale yellow-gold in color with all the breadiness of a lightly toasted croissant, with a bit of butter. Lightly hopped with the typical light caramel tastes you'd expect. It's a bit early for spring but couldn't pass up this new brew in Harris Teeter of all places. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 or so and the ABV is 6.4%, pretty standard for a bock and just right for the 1st half of the Duke-Wake Foulfest game tonight. Hey CB&B and 8-X , you'll be seeing one of these in your upcoming traders. :D :-*
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2010, 8:10 am

Double Trouble IIPA-Founders Brewing-Wonderful brew and pretty darn close to the 90 Minute IPA in terms of my favorites for this style. It is a bit more pale than the DFH but the 1st scent is pink grapefruit and it lingers throughout the glass. Aromatic and pungent hops with a very strong malt backbone and balance. Not for the faint-palated as this clocks in at 86 IBU but doesn't over-power you. The ABV is a hefty 9.4% but it drinks so smoothly it is deceptive. This would make a fine after dinner drink from a snifter/wine glass and shared. However, after the brutal pounding my fingers and furniture took last PM during the wake game, I needed something a bit stronger/longer so I enjoyed the whole 12 ounces in the hour aftermath from the game. One of these awaits CB&B and 8-X in the next trading session. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 18th, 2010, 8:43 am

devildeac wrote:Double Trouble IIPA-Founders Brewing-Wonderful brew and pretty darn close to the 90 Minute IPA in terms of my favorites for this style. It is a bit more pale than the DFH but the 1st scent is pink grapefruit and it lingers throughout the glass. Aromatic and pungent hops with a very strong malt backbone and balance. Not for the faint-palated as this clocks in at 86 IBU but doesn't over-power you. The ABV is a hefty 9.4% but it drinks so smoothly it is deceptive. This would make a fine after dinner drink from a snifter/wine glass and shared. However, after the brutal pounding my fingers and furniture took last PM during the wake game, I needed something a bit stronger/longer so I enjoyed the whole 12 ounces in the hour aftermath from the game. One of these awaits CB&B and 8-X in the next trading session. :D
86 IBU? Sounds high on the ick factor to me...

IIPA. Does this need a quick edit or is that correct? Sounds to me like the 9.4% may have gotten to you... =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2010, 8:50 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Double Trouble IIPA-Founders Brewing-Wonderful brew and pretty darn close to the 90 Minute IPA in terms of my favorites for this style. It is a bit more pale than the DFH but the 1st scent is pink grapefruit and it lingers throughout the glass. Aromatic and pungent hops with a very strong malt backbone and balance. Not for the faint-palated as this clocks in at 86 IBU but doesn't over-power you. The ABV is a hefty 9.4% but it drinks so smoothly it is deceptive. This would make a fine after dinner drink from a snifter/wine glass and shared. However, after the brutal pounding my fingers and furniture took last PM during the wake game, I needed something a bit stronger/longer so I enjoyed the whole 12 ounces in the hour aftermath from the game. One of these awaits CB&B and 8-X in the next trading session. :D
86 IBU? Sounds high on the ick factor to me...

IIPA. Does this need a quick edit or is that correct? Sounds to me like the 9.4% may have gotten to you... =))
1. 86 IBU-your palate is indeed WAY too tender for that kinda hops ;)
2. IIPA is correct-it stands for Imperial India Pale Ale
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Morehead City HBA (I think that is what is scrawled on the cap and I sure as hell can't remember after ~2 months)-I think this is a honey brown ale and this is the 60 day tasting. A bit light for a brown ale but very smooth and slightly sweet, not only from the caramel malts but also from the honey. Highly quaffable with a slight hop bite.
Good pair with ribs or BBQ chicken or the other white meat. Sorry to see this one disappear from the storage area but all of them were tasty. Another tip o' the cap to CB&B for this trader. :Clap:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 20th, 2010, 7:39 am

devildeac wrote:Morehead City HBA (I think that is what is scrawled on the cap and I sure as hell can't remember after ~2 months)-I think this is a honey brown ale and this is the 60 day tasting. A bit light for a brown ale but very smooth and slightly sweet, not only from the caramel malts but also from the honey. Highly quaffable with a slight hop bite.
Good pair with ribs or BBQ chicken or the other white meat. Sorry to see this one disappear from the storage area but all of them were tasty. Another tip o' the cap to CB&B for this trader. :Clap:
There was one in your traders that you missed out on....
No honey in it, but there is "honey malt", thus the name.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 20th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Avery Collaboration not Litigation ale
Sweet, dark, bitter, and heavy. This is a beauty of a bomber from Avery..I started sipping on it last night but wisely chose not to finish. The result of two breweries both brewing a "Salvation" ale. Instead of suing each other they collaborated and combined their two to produce Collaboration. Great story, great brew, and for the price, a great deal. I picked up two, one for DD as a trader. He's had it, but I'm sure won't mind another.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 20th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Holy shit this is awesome! I was just telling EarlJam in Section 21 that it's like drinking alcoholic espresso. Before you even hit your lips with the glass, you are overwhelmed by the coffee aroma. These aren't just roasted malts, but it's actually brewed with coffee and it makes for a great beer. Super black, heavy body, high, but not extreme, ABV. (8.1%) I like drinking stouts a bit warmer than fridge temps, but this one would be good cold, reminiscent of an iced coffee with khalua. I picked up two, one for me, one for DD in his trader pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2010, 8:09 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Avery Collaboration not Litigation ale
Sweet, dark, bitter, and heavy. This is a beauty of a bomber from Avery..I started sipping on it last night but wisely chose not to finish. The result of two breweries both brewing a "Salvation" ale. Instead of suing each other they collaborated and combined their two to produce Collaboration. Great story, great brew, and for the price, a great deal. I picked up two, one for DD as a trader. He's had it, but I'm sure won't mind another.
got that right. on multiple fronts.
:D =p~