Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 5:02 pm

devildeac wrote:Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout-ho, hum-probably one of the oldest and best-est oatmeal stouts in the world. A classic. It is a bit light/thin for the style but that's a minor complaint as it is a silky-smooth dark, dark brown pour with a medium, light brown head. The oatmeal gives it the texture and the chocolate and black malts (I'm guessing here) impart the rich cocoa tastes to it with a hint of espresso. Slightly bittersweet with and estimated IBU of 40-50 and and ABV of about 6%. This would be wonderful with grilled beef and BBQ ribs or with a slice of chocolate cake for dessert. A trader from 8-X and another fine selection. I don't think I have enjoyed one of these for nearly 10 years.
Sounds like a beer float candidate, too! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2010, 6:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout-ho, hum-probably one of the oldest and best-est oatmeal stouts in the world. A classic. It is a bit light/thin for the style but that's a minor complaint as it is a silky-smooth dark, dark brown pour with a medium, light brown head. The oatmeal gives it the texture and the chocolate and black malts (I'm guessing here) impart the rich cocoa tastes to it with a hint of espresso. Slightly bittersweet with and estimated IBU of 40-50 and and ABV of about 6%. This would be wonderful with grilled beef and BBQ ribs or with a slice of chocolate cake for dessert. A trader from 8-X and another fine selection. I don't think I have enjoyed one of these for nearly 10 years.
That would indeed be a good brew with which to make a beer float.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale-quite a different beer than the regular Arrogant Bastard as this is more drinkable. It pours a medium brown with a single finger tan head and has light grapefruitiness and lots of chocolate-caramel maltiness. My guess is that the IBU are the same, probably in the 70-80 range but the oak aging gives this a smooth, woody (not THAT kind of woodie, Ozzie) and slightly whiskey-ish taste. The ABV is 7.2%, same as the regular Bastard, so it shouldn't contain much more, if any, malts. Guess it would be best to call this a strong ale. Nice selection with spicy foods. CB&B grabbed this off the shelf at Total Wine a couple weeks ago and included it in his trader. I probably would not have bought a 6er for myself as it is $15 for the 6 pack so I greatly appreciate his selection and generosity. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Czar-Avery's imperial stout-fascinating brew. Typical imperial stout characteristics with a very dark brown pour and aromas and tastes of licorice and molasses. Also flavors of bittersweet chocolate with an IBU of 70 and an ABV of 10.77% (that's what is on the bottle folks...) Also tastes like there is a shot of dark rum in my glass. I divided a bomber over 2 nights and both nights are pretty much the same. I think tonight's tasting is closer to room temp than last night's. Only bought 1 bomber in the fall but it might be interesting to age a bottle for a year or two to see if it matured any. Might also be interesting to age this on oak or in whiskey barrels to see what different characteristics it might develop. Of course, it is mighty fine this year, too. This was a bottle that just never made it to a Brunchgate but did in 2008. Oh, well, maybe next year... ;) :D Ya gotta taste this at cellar or near room temp and sip it over an hour or so to appreciate all the flavors here.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 10th, 2010, 10:23 pm

devildeac wrote: Ya gotta taste this at cellar or near room temp and sip it over an hour or so to appreciate all the flavors here.
I think that holds true for many beers. While it's always great to have a cold brew, drinking one at room temp, or at least above chilled, really brings out flavors that can be missed. I can have two ales back to back, one chilled, one not, and they are two different experiences. Czar is good stuff by the way, one of my favorites.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2010, 10:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: Ya gotta taste this at cellar or near room temp and sip it over an hour or so to appreciate all the flavors here.
I think that holds true for many beers. While it's always great to have a cold brew, drinking one at room temp, or at least above chilled, really brings out flavors that can be missed. I can have two ales back to back, one chilled, one not, and they are two different experiences. Czar is good stuff by the way, one of my favorites.
I still prefer the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout over the Czar but only by a small margin.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 10th, 2010, 11:18 pm

I think that holds true for many beers. While it's always great to have a cold brew, drinking one at room temp, or at least above chilled, really brings out flavors that can be missed.
While in school, a brother brought me a case of Maximus Super from Syracuse. If I recall correctly, it was 12% alcohol. :-BD Ice cold it tasted like the bottom of a warm Bud can :blee: , but 1/2 of the way down, who cared anymore! :fight: =))

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 10th, 2010, 11:21 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I think that holds true for many beers. While it's always great to have a cold brew, drinking one at room temp, or at least above chilled, really brings out flavors that can be missed.
While in school, a brother brought me a case of Maximus Super from Syracuse. If I recall correctly, it was 12% alcohol. :-BD Ice cold it tasted like the bottom of a warm Bud can :blee: , but 1/2 of the way down, who cared anymore! :fight: =))
I had to look that up (never heard of it)..here is what I found on Beer Advocate. It's one user's review...
Yes indeed...Max is back. My father used to tell me stories from college about this stuff. Then FX Matt stopped brewing it for years. The new version is back, with some changes. They have actually increased the ABV to 8.9% from the 7something it was in the 70's. Anyway, my good friend, roommate, and employee at FX Matt picked up a few widemouth 40's of the new Maximus. It's not the worst malt liquor I've had, but certainly not great. Slight malt character, PLENTY of alcohol. You'll know its 8.9% while you're drinking it. An interesting find, and maybe for some of you near my father's age, it will bring back memories from good times long ago. As for me, I dont remember much after drinking this stuff.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » January 11th, 2010, 8:52 am

devildeac wrote:Czar-Avery's imperial stout-fascinating brew. Typical imperial stout characteristics with a very dark brown pour and aromas and tastes of licorice and molasses. Also flavors of bittersweet chocolate with an IBU of 70 and an ABV of 10.77% (that's what is on the bottle folks...) Also tastes like there is a shot of dark rum in my glass. I divided a bomber over 2 nights and both nights are pretty much the same. I think tonight's tasting is closer to room temp than last night's. Only bought 1 bomber in the fall but it might be interesting to age a bottle for a year or two to see if it matured any. Might also be interesting to age this on oak or in whiskey barrels to see what different characteristics it might develop. Of course, it is mighty fine this year, too. This was a bottle that just never made it to a Brunchgate but did in 2008. Oh, well, maybe next year... ;) :D Ya gotta taste this at cellar or near room temp and sip it over an hour or so to appreciate all the flavors here.
It's been a while since I've had one of these but might have to grab one as a refresher..sounds tasty. I think Avery has a series of barrel aged beers and I wonder if a barrel aged Czar is on the future list..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 11th, 2010, 8:56 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Dog Fish Head Olde School
Oh hell yes. What a funky beer this is, it's the closest we can legally get to the 120 here in NC, and you can get an idea of what the 120 is when you taste it. 15%ABV, syrupy thck, and very sweet. I described it in Section 21 as "grapey". Such an interesting flavor, thoughts of sparkling white grape juice (not wine) come to mind. Some nice honey notes underneath, I don't know if there is any honey actually in there, but it's so thick and sweet it's hard to ignore the comparison. Obviously a beer that you enjoy at home, sipping slowly. If I had someone to share it with, it would be even better. A bit much to enjoy by yourself..they need to put it in a bottle with a cork! Then I could enjoy another 6 ounces tomorrow and not overdo it on a weeknight. But it's worthy of celebrating a good win, CIS' 40th birthday, and the enjoyable launch of the active content going on the front page. Huge thanks to DD for the trader, very much appreciated.
I had one of these over the weekend after reading your review. I managed to grab a 2 year old four pack a few months back and the aging has done wonders for an already outstanding beer. I love this stuff but as you describe, at 15%, it's a bit much to drink alone. One of my favorites..
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » January 11th, 2010, 9:02 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
That would indeed be a good brew with which to make a beer float.
Interesting observation Oz - I had one the other night and DD's review is SLAP ON!!!! (Oops, I mean SPOT ON!!) My first time tasting this and was thinking the same thing about the float. DD - glad you enjoyed! Definitely something we might have to try in Feb after the dance lessons with dessert! :-BD
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 11th, 2010, 9:12 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: While in school, a brother brought me a case of Maximus Super from Syracuse. If I recall correctly, it was 12% alcohol. :-BD Ice cold it tasted like the bottom of a warm Bud can :blee: , but 1/2 of the way down, who cared anymore! :fight: =))
I had to look that up (never heard of it)..here is what I found on Beer Advocate. It's one user's review...
Yes indeed...Max is back. My father used to tell me stories from college about this stuff. Then FX Matt stopped brewing it for years. The new version is back, with some changes. They have actually increased the ABV to 8.9% from the 7something it was in the 70's. Anyway, my good friend, roommate, and employee at FX Matt picked up a few widemouth 40's of the new Maximus. It's not the worst malt liquor I've had, but certainly not great. Slight malt character, PLENTY of alcohol. You'll know its 8.9% while you're drinking it. An interesting find, and maybe for some of you near my father's age, it will bring back memories from good times long ago. As for me, I dont remember much after drinking this stuff.
I was close. I guess it was 14 proof, or 7%, compared to the 3.2 beer they sold in NC. All I know is it didn't take much to knock you flat on your ass! B-)

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Brooklyn Monster-2009-Barleywines can be tough to drink when first released because of the high IBU and the lack of early "balance" with the malts. That's why many folks will cellar them for 1-5 years so they may mature. They become less bitter tasting and often more cloying and can be almost syrup-like. I bought a 4 pack of this a couple weeks ago and had my 1st one tonight. It is frighteningly drinkable already. Copper in color with a small head, this already has the smooth tastes of caramel, medium brown sugar and sherry. It is clear and clean. I'd guess the IBU to be 70-80 and the ABV is 10.1%. I have 2 left and am not sure who got the 1st one of the litter but I will be visiting Total Wine or Whole Foods again soon to pick up another 4 pack of this and the BBCS for the remainder of the season, to trade and to cellar for several years. This is a fine beer to share slightly chilled from a snifter, with some aged cheddar.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » January 12th, 2010, 8:37 am

Troegs Nugget Nectar--a bit of a hybrid between an amber ale and a double IPA..Pours a deep orange. Big hit of hoppy bitterness up front with lots of grapefruit and pine. Malty sweetness is subtle but adds a perfect bit of balance. Finish is again all hops with a lingering bitter bite. Crisp and refreshing. This is a phenomenal beer. It's hop heavy but very very drinkable. At 7.5% it's somewhere between a session beer and a sipper. Would be a much better beer on a warmer spring or summer night but was a refreshing change from some of the maltier beers that I've had recently.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Just came up with a 6er/trader with one of the drug reps who calls on the office. Yea, 8-X and CB&B, I'm runnin' around on you guys :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 12th, 2010, 11:24 pm

devildeac wrote:Just came up with a 6er/trader with one of the drug reps who calls on the office. Yea, 8-X and CB&B, I'm runnin' around on you guys :D .
Beer slut. =))
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » January 12th, 2010, 11:30 pm

devildeac wrote:Just came up with a 6er/trader with one of the drug reps who calls on the office. Yea, 8-X and CB&B, I'm runnin' around on you guys :D .
Beer slut. =))
:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o OMG, Your :beer: TRAMP!!!! :p :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: I would never... but, appreciate your honesty!!!! Now we are processing! :D [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Beer slut. =))
I have NEVER been called that before...

:)) :)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 12th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Beer slut. =))
I am not cheap but I am reasonable...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Howl-Magic Hat-Their winter offering is a black lager and is a deep brown with about a 2 finger head. Very mild hop bitterness kinda late in the tasting and plenty of dark malts lending this a dark caramel taste. IBU are 32 and the ABV is a bit low at 4.6%. I would have thought a bit higher. Enjoyed this tonight at Tyler's with a BBQ sammich with slaw and their garlic fries. A nice combo. The company wasn't too bad either, right, Ozzie? ;) :D Don't spread this info too far or too fast, but I witnessed Ozzie enjoying TWO of these tonight with his French Dip sammich with grilled/sauteed 'shrooms. Course it also helped that it was "buy the pint, keep the glass night" at Tyler's and he needed 2 more pint glasses as Mrs. Ozzie keeps using his voluptuous Dogfish Head glass for her iced tea. :)) :)) =)) =)) The kinda low ABV allowed the opportunity to enjoy another brew that had never crossed my lips before, the Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide. But, that's another post ;) :D .