Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Lavabe » January 1st, 2010, 12:32 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
bluebear wrote:What are people drinking to usher in the new year? It is doubtful that I will make it up until midnight but I will soon be cracking open a Bruery Papier..an old ale that I've been sitting on since the summer...happy new year to all..
Um, it's not beer, but it's egg nog with a little Captain Morgan's spiced rum.

8-x made it for us!
that would be the egg nog thread... :roll:

:)) =))
How many Zocor should I take if I wanted to drink an egg nog?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2010, 12:34 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

8-x made it for us!

At least 3 extra AND a 60 minute walk.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 1st, 2010, 12:35 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

8-x made it for us!

That depends on how well the egg nog is thinned out by the rum. The way our drinks are mixed tonight, you would only need half a Zocor tablet.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 1st, 2010, 12:35 am

devildeac wrote:New Year's brews:

Morehead City Honey Brown Ale-just bottled last week and is a good pour now but I'm saving one for 30 days. This was a bit flat but is quite an interesting taste for a brown ale with more hop bitterness than I would have expected but nice sweetness from the honey and, I would imagine, a buncha caramel malts. There is a hint of brown sugar, too. This would blend nicely with mild to moderately spicy grilled fare and make a nice additive/stock for a stew/chili. IBU? I dunno, maybe 30-40. ABV? Prolly about 5.5% Tasty.
The HBA is actually over 7%. I had one tonight, mine wasn't flat so maybe I gave you a crummy cap job. While I was drinking it, I was reminded of the successful scotch ale that I had made last year. I think in 30 days this will be a really good ale, I'll give you a couple more if you show up for the women's UCONN game.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » January 1st, 2010, 12:39 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Morehead City Honey Brown Ale-just bottled last week and is a good pour now but I'm saving one for 30 days. This was a bit flat but is quite an interesting taste for a brown ale with more hop bitterness than I would have expected but nice sweetness from the honey and, I would imagine, a buncha caramel malts. There is a hint of brown sugar, too. This would blend nicely with mild to moderately spicy grilled fare and make a nice additive/stock for a stew/chili. IBU? I dunno, maybe 30-40. ABV? Prolly about 5.5% Tasty.
The HBA is actually over 7%. I had one tonight, mine wasn't flat so maybe I gave you a crummy cap job. While I was drinking it, I was reminded of the successful scotch ale that I had made last year. I think in 30 days this will be a really good ale, I'll give you a couple more if you show up for the women's UCONN game.
CB&B - after your Oatmeal Stout home brew, I've been craving this .... found an ashville, NC Oatmeal Stout that wasn't too bad and traded with DD some English Oatmeal stouts (Smith Bros or something like that), DD was pleasantly surprised. I will save some for you too! Oh well, maybe I'll get some fresh ones when Cathy and I head down your way for a weekend with DukePA and Stevo!!! Will give you a call.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 1st, 2010, 12:41 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:How many Zocor should I take if I wanted to drink an egg nog?
Perhaps 2 extra, one 60 minute walk, and one pickled yellow hot pepper.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 1st, 2010, 12:43 am

Auld Asheville Vintage Ale, Asheville Brewing
This is a high octane deep brown ale, flavorful and pretty bitter. Higher esters so a little hint of banana and other mild fruitiness. As stated, pretty bitter, so they've hopped it up. ABV is 9.5%, and half way into my bomber, I notice it. The higher IBU stands it out from the other high gravity ales I've had recently because you notice the hops more than the malts. Undertoned with a nice sweetness. While it's good, it doesn't stand out as well as a good Ommegang or an offering from Sam Adams' Imperial series. (I would also select Saranac's IIPA over it), but it's worth buying to decide for yourself.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » January 1st, 2010, 12:44 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:How many Zocor should I take if I wanted to drink an egg nog?
Perhaps 2 extra, one 60 minute walk, and one pickled yellow hot pepper.
Speaking of ... I meant to ask DD about this because I was getting excited about tasting these, but hopefully they will keep for a bit! The longer in storage the hotter they get! I like it hot bebe!!!! :-bd
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2010, 7:48 am

I wasn't really worried or critical as I think you had said wait a week or so before drinking one, and, of course, I didn't :oops: . That's why I am always happy to get 2-3 of a flavor as I'll wait 30-90 days before drinking the 2nd/3rd one to see how they mature. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2010, 7:52 am

cl15876 wrote:

CB&B - after your Oatmeal Stout home brew, I've been craving this .... found an ashville, NC Oatmeal Stout that wasn't too bad and traded with DD some English Oatmeal stouts (Smith Bros or something like that), DD was pleasantly surprised. I will save some for you too! Oh well, maybe I'll get some fresh ones when Cathy and I head down your way for a weekend with DukePA and Stevo!!! Will give you a call.
That would be the Samuel Smith Brewing company, one of the oldest and best England has to offer. ;) :D

Try the Imperial Porter, too. =p~

I think I will take a few of the traders to the coast today for New Year's weekend enjoyment.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 1st, 2010, 9:15 am

bluebear wrote:What are people drinking to usher in the new year?
We ushered in the new year with a little Andre champagne, in honor of Andre Dawkins! It was very nice - brut, but not muy brut!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 1st, 2010, 9:53 am

cl15876 wrote:Speaking of ... I meant to ask DD about this because I was getting excited about tasting these, but hopefully they will keep for a bit! The longer in storage the hotter they get! I like it hot bebe!!!! :-bd
In that case, please refer to CB&B's post in the LTE ("Lavabe tried to kill me").
Perhaps biting the seeds will be to your liking. :(( :(( :(( :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2010, 6:05 pm

2nd New Year's brew: Morehed City IPA, 60 day sampling, IIRC. This sure had a different flavor than what I remember before. The slightly grapefruity flavor also had some orange tastes this time and I thought the caramel maltiness was more noticeable, too. This has a light yellow-orange color and a 1-2 finger head with a standard pour. Pleasant IBU at 50 or so and I'd guess the ABV about 6.5%. This would not overpower lighter grilled fare and would be a nice match with hearty or spicy stuff. Last of this trader from Nov. or even an Oct. Brunchgate. :((
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 1st, 2010, 6:44 pm

devildeac wrote: Last of this trader from Nov. or even an Oct. Brunchgate. :((
"Lasts of" aren't sad when you realize there is a "first of" in the future.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 10:00 am

Bell's Christmas Ale-No description on their web site but a bit of googling finds this described as a scotch ale. It's more of a up-hopped and up-malted amber ale. It has little of the toffee and smoked tastes/aromas that should be present in a scotch ale. One could also describe this as a near brown ale. The color is somewhere between the two (amber and brown) and the other characteristics share this 'tweener description also WRT the breadiness/toastiness and the caramel/brown sugar flavors. I'd guess the IBU about 30-40 and the ABV is 5.4% so it was a pleasant starter brew before also enjoying a Yakima Twilight ;) :D . There are several other offerings I'd prefer as my "Christmas/winter" ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 11:30 am

Speaking of Yakima Twilight, this is a brand new brew released this fall/winter by the fine folks at Victory. Very interesting beverage that I would describe as a dark IPA. It is a whole flower hops brew with 4 fresh ones from the Yakima valley. It is balanced nicely with dark malts (caramel and chocolate, I'd bet). The hops impart a pungent, piney flavor and also a grapefruity tang in the end. The blend with the toffee/caramel flavors of the malts make this slighly sweet, too. The IBU are high and I'd guess in the 60-70 range and it is potent at 8.7% ABV. Not a dessert beer and not really a session brew. Have this with spicy, grilled entrees. Wonder what CB&B and 8-x think of this one...

I'm also gonna do a search and see if bluebear reviewed this last month.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 12:47 pm

Founders Backwoods Bastard
Had it last night, and only made it halfway through before I fell asleep on the couch. Over 10%ABV, loved the added flavors the oaked aging added. The bottle says 50 IBU, I would have guessed higher. Poured a nice deep brown, lots of complex tastes going on. The alchohol notes are dominant...and make it a slow sipper, but the roasted malts are added too very nicely by the infused oak. I've got some oak chips that I plan on trying out in my next batch, it will be interesting to see how it compares to actual barrell aging.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2010, 8:05 am

Terrapin Brewing Company-Big Hoppy Monster-Imperial Red Ale-Think Killians's on 'roids for this one. Massively hopped and almost as massively malted. After sipping on this 12 ouncer for almost an hour and the more I think about it, this really closely resmbles a barleywine. It is a reddish-brown in color with a modest head and tastes piney and caramel-y throughout. The IBU must be 70-80 or higher but the ABV is a bit low for a barleywine at 8.3%. There is nothing shy or gentle about this beverage. I'd nurse this one through a gamey or spicy meal but not sure I'd have it as a dessert or after-dinner drink. :-w to read what CB&B and 8-x think of this one. About $9 or $10 for the 4 pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2010, 8:22 am

Avery-Old Jubilation Ale-Another fine beverage from Colorado. This is one of my favorite winter ales along with Jubelale and Ebenezer Ale. They call this an English strong ale but think about it as an imperial style ESB as it is heavily malted with 5 varieties, including black and chocolate. Hops are bullion, which I had never heard of before. The IBU are 30 and the ABV is 8% so find a warm chair, a good book, some slippers and a blazing fire and sip on this reddish-tinged dark brown ale for a while. There is a hint of coffee, a lotta chocolate-caramel and a hit of dark fruit in here. I'm not sure I'll have one saved for next year as I may have traded all the others from the 6er. But, if I do, I'll enjoy a vertical session as rmd did a couple months ago or so and report back next winter ;) :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2010, 11:03 am

devildeac wrote:Terrapin Brewing Company-Big Hoppy Monster-Imperial Red Ale-Think Killians's on 'roids for this one. Massively hopped and almost as massively malted. After sipping on this 12 ouncer for almost an hour and the more I think about it, this really closely resmbles a barleywine. It is a reddish-brown in color with a modest head and tastes piney and caramel-y throughout. The IBU must be 70-80 or higher but the ABV is a bit low for a barleywine at 8.3%. There is nothing shy or gentle about this beverage. I'd nurse this one through a gamey or spicy meal but not sure I'd have it as a dessert or after-dinner drink. :-w to read what CB&B and 8-x think of this one. About $9 or $10 for the 4 pack.
Pretty much nailed it for me, I really enjoyed that one. Very flavorful with lotta bite. I like how the bottle says "built" instead of "brewed".