Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by ArkieDukie » August 16th, 2022, 6:32 am

dudog wrote:
August 15th, 2022, 5:21 pm
I've often wondered what is the stupidest state in the Union. I think Kentucky "wins", electing and re-electing Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell. Is there any worse combination of Senators from 1 state?

"Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul wants Espionage Act repealed". Yeah, that will solve everything. Protect the pussy-grabbing traitor at all costs!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

Be sure to watch the short imbedded clip of Paul arguing for Russia against Secretary of State Blinken.
I might nominate AR as a runner-up. The likely next Governor is Sarah Huckabee Sanders - who, as best I can tell, is qualified because she worked for Trump and Daddy was Governor. I can’t even.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 16th, 2022, 8:49 am

dudog wrote:
I've often wondered what is the stupidest state in the Union. I think Kentucky "wins", electing and re-electing Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell. Is there any worse combination of Senators from 1 state?

"Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul wants Espionage Act repealed". Yeah, that will solve everything. Protect the pussy-grabbing traitor at all costs!

Be sure to watch the short imbedded clip of Paul arguing for Russia against Secretary of State Blinken.
I was trying to think of another state with a more awful pair but could not. What is particularly interesting is that the other holder of state-wide office, the Governor, is a Democrat. I don't know a lot about him and assume he is fairly moderate, but how a state could elect two such horrible extremist Republicans as Senators and then have a Democrat as governor says a lot (I understand that there are different issues that a Senator deals with than a Governor - given the state of things now, it would be almost impossible for me to vote for a Republican for national office but I would consider it at the state or local level).
dudog

Post by dudog » August 16th, 2022, 9:52 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 8:49 am
dudog wrote:

I was trying to think of another state with a more awful pair but could not. What is particularly interesting is that the other holder of state-wide office, the Governor, is a Democrat. I don't know a lot about him and assume he is fairly moderate, but how a state could elect two such horrible extremist Republicans as Senators and then have a Democrat as governor says a lot (I understand that there are different issues that a Senator deals with than a Governor - given the state of things now, it would be almost impossible for me to vote for a Republican for national office but I would consider it at the state or local level).
Careful. Here in Florida the state-level Rs are worse than the national ones (Matt Gaetz excepted), because even the state senate is gerrymandered. And the national Rs are nothing to crow about.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 16th, 2022, 10:00 am

Today Liz Cheney will be getting voted out of office, in a likely landslide. It's not often that I'm disappointed to see a Republican lose their incumbent seat, but this is one of those times.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 16th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Alex Wagner (I've always liked her energy and smarts) is taking over 80% of Rachel Maddow's job tonight. I hope she does well. Not sure if it's good for Maddow to hang onto 1 night a week, Monday no less, because if ratings tank Tue-Fri it's bad news for Wagner.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » August 16th, 2022, 5:01 pm

dudog wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 3:51 pm
Alex Wagner (I've always liked her energy and smarts) is taking over 80% of Rachel Maddow's job tonight. I hope she does well. Not sure if it's good for Maddow to hang onto 1 night a week, Monday no less, because if ratings tank Tue-Fri it's bad news for Wagner.
It’s very strange isn’t it. To be honest I was getting a bit tired of Maddow. I have been watching Chris Hayes more these days and of course Lawrence is always good. I’ll give Wagner a go tô support her.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 16th, 2022, 5:58 pm

Some Senate race news from a state not named Georgia.
Rep. Val Demings (D) leads Sen. Marco Rubio (R) by 4 percentage points in Florida’s Senate race, according to a poll released Tuesday.

The poll, released by the University of North Florida’s Public Opinion Research Lab, shows Demings with the support of 48 percent of surveyed registered voters who said they would vote in the midterms.

Rubio, in comparison, received 44 percent support, while 7 percent said they would choose someone else.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » August 16th, 2022, 7:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 5:58 pm
Some Senate race news from a state not named Georgia.
Rep. Val Demings (D) leads Sen. Marco Rubio (R) by 4 percentage points in Florida’s Senate race, according to a poll released Tuesday.

The poll, released by the University of North Florida’s Public Opinion Research Lab, shows Demings with the support of 48 percent of surveyed registered voters who said they would vote in the midterms.

Rubio, in comparison, received 44 percent support, while 7 percent said they would choose someone else.
I’d love to believe in polls again…
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 16th, 2022, 9:52 pm

August 16th, 2022, 10:00 am
Today Liz Cheney will be getting voted out of office, in a likely landslide. It's not often that I'm disappointed to see a Republican lose their incumbent seat, but this is one of those times.
Does Wyoming have open voting in its primaries? If so, and I was a Democrat, I’d totally cross over and vote for Liz to keep Trump’s lackey from winning.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 16th, 2022, 10:21 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Does Wyoming have open voting in its primaries? If so, and I was a Democrat, I’d totally cross over and vote for Liz to keep Trump’s lackey from winning.
She asked for that to happen, and some probably did.
She still got crushed and is giving her concession speech now.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 16th, 2022, 10:24 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
The Democrats strategy in a number of primaries this year has been to throw money at the super extremist Republican candidates in the Republican primary, thinking that they won't have a chance vs. a decent Democrat while the more moderate Republican might. From what I understand, the Democrat-supported Republicans have generally done pretty well. If any of these extremists win in the general election, the Democrats who supported this plan will have a lot of egg on their face.

That being said, I am not too familiar with Wyoming but I'm assuming that the Democrat has zero chance so the winner of the Republican party is basically the winner. In which case I agree with your suggestion if it is possible.

I early voted in my NY primary today. Our house districts got completely redrawn so I am in a district with two 30-year incumbents going against each other - Nadler (my current rep) and Carolyn Maloney. Plus there is a young guy Patel with zero experience but a lot of money. The Democratic primary winner is 95% sure to win the general. I did not feel strongly about either candidate. There was also a primary for state senate with a progressive incumbent vs. a very moderate candidate. This one I felt much more strongly about. There are a few other interesting primaries for the House due to the new districts.
dudog

Post by dudog » August 16th, 2022, 11:05 pm

Ds weren't going to help Cheney even if they wanted to.
As of Aug. 1, 2022, there were 285,000 registered voters in Wyoming, including 40,000 Democrats and 208,000 Republicans. Trump earned nearly 70% of the vote in 2016 and 2020.

Glad I saw the Tetons and Yellowstone in my 20s. I doubt I'll ever go back. But if I want to do some pussy-grabbing or steal government secrets, now I know where to go.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » August 17th, 2022, 7:17 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
August 16th, 2022, 10:24 pm

The Democrats strategy in a number of primaries this year has been to throw money at the super extremist Republican candidates in the Republican primary, thinking that they won't have a chance vs. a decent Democrat while the more moderate Republican might. From what I understand, the Democrat-supported Republicans have generally done pretty well. If any of these extremists win in the general election, the Democrats who supported this plan will have a lot of egg on their face.
I find this absolutely infuriating and sickening tbh. You cannot claim that election deniers are a fundamental threat to democracy on one hand, and then fund them for your own potential political gain on the other. Especially against Rs that voted for impeachment.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2022, 7:38 am

OPK wrote:
August 17th, 2022, 7:17 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

I find this absolutely infuriating and sickening tbh. You cannot claim that election deniers are a fundamental threat to democracy on one hand, and then fund them for your own potential political gain on the other. Especially against Rs that voted for impeachment.
Agreed. They’d be far better off focusing on their own candidates. This year, I voted in the Democratic primary (I’m a registered Independent) because I knew all the Republican front-runners were awful and I’d be voting against them in the main election. Wanted to cast a vote to help determine the person I’ll be voting for in November.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » August 17th, 2022, 7:40 am

OPK wrote:
August 17th, 2022, 7:17 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

I don't really like it but again, there are degrees of dislike. Compared to 99% of the garbage that the Republicans are doing, this is nothing to me. People have been doing this for ages, the Dems are just doing it more prominently than others in the past. I am pretty much a straight line Democrat and I have crossed over to vote for the less electable candidate at least once. It is just an indictment of our whole electoral system that has completely polarized things. As much as I don't like it and think that the Dems should be using their resources differently, I do like that they seem to finally have some sense of urgency rather than sitting back and letting the Republicans just walk over them.

Meanwhile, the Republicans have officially become a one issue party - was the 2020 election "stolen." It is incredibly sad that their whole platform is based on supporting Trump's inability to admit he lost. And meanwhile, they are the ones who seem to actually be cheating. As I've said before, they are living in a different universe and I have almost zero confidence we will be able to bridge this gap. The first lesson of negotiations is to assume that the counterparty is a rational actor. If the counterparty is not rational, all normal strategy and discussion goes out the window.
Lotusland
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by Lotusland » August 17th, 2022, 8:38 am

There really is only one issue for republicans. I hope Liz Cheney runs and has enough support to qualify for the GOP debates. I’d like her to press Trump and enablers on the election lies. I know some election deniers. Facts really get under their skin. They get mad but never relinquish the lie. Because, if they admitted that it is a lie without any legitimate evidence whatsoever, they would have to own up to Trump’s sedition and the rest of the party’s cowardly enabling of it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2022, 9:14 am

Lotusland wrote:
August 17th, 2022, 8:38 am
There really is only one issue for republicans. I hope Liz Cheney runs and has enough support to qualify for the GOP debates. I’d like her to press Trump and enablers on the election lies. I know some election deniers. Facts really get under their skin. They get mad but never relinquish the lie. Because, if they admitted that it is a lie without any legitimate evidence whatsoever, they would have to own up to Trump’s sedition and the rest of the party’s cowardly enabling of it.
Her speech last night was impossible to listen to, not because of what she said, but horrid technical issues. Through the few words I could make out, though, I totally expected to hear "so I'm announcing tonight my candidacy...".
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » August 17th, 2022, 11:48 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Steve Kornacki went over this last night. Wyoming does not open primaries, but based on the statistics from the last year, it does look like some Democrats re-registered as Republicans solely to vote for Cheney, knowing that a Democrat had no shot in the general election. Unfortunately for them, the number was something short of 10,000, out of over 250,000 registered voters. It wasn't even close to moving the needle.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2022, 9:03 pm

More Senate race polling news.
Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes (D) leads incumbent Sen. Ron Johnson (R) by 7 percentage points in their race for Johnson’s seat, according to a poll from Marquette University Law School released Wednesday.

The survey found that Barnes received support from 51 percent of respondents, compared to Johnson’s 44 percent. Barnes expanded his lead from Marquette’s June poll, in which he led Johnson by only 2 points, within the margin of error.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/barnes-tops- ... 15595.html
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2022, 9:46 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
August 17th, 2022, 11:48 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
Steve Kornacki went over this last night. Wyoming does not open primaries, but based on the statistics from the last year, it does look like some Democrats re-registered as Republicans solely to vote for Cheney, knowing that a Democrat had no shot in the general election. Unfortunately for them, the number was something short of 10,000, out of over 250,000 registered voters. It wasn't even close to moving the needle.
That’s awesome. Kudos to the people who did this.
-- Albert Einstein