Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » December 7th, 2009, 5:46 pm

devildeac wrote:Allagash White-solid Belgian style single, or white ale. The wheat malt makes this a bit sour, cloudy and citrus-like with hints of orange zest and probably some coriander. Fizzy. Good brew for warm spring, summer or fall afternoon, but also good to enjoy as a Brunchgate trader from 8-x . I'm sure the IBU are low, probably 20-30 range and the ABV of this style typically runs about 5% or less. Enjoy with some light appetizers or fruits. Very pleasant. Think Hoegaarden or Blue Moon with this type ale.
Yumm! I'm glad you enjoyed! I also found another Allagash bomber "Dubbel Reserve" that I brought to the Oyster Roast at Donna's and we didn't get a chance to taste it and somehow I ended up bringing it home with me after telling Donna I was going to leave it behind for her to taste and report on in this thread! First, it must have been a reactive grab on my part L-) :-?? to help clean up when snagging the pepsi for Christian off the table, so my many apologies to Ms. Donna for not leaving this behind for her tasting pleasure; Secondly, I hope the 120 IPA leave behinds will suffice as an adequate replacement, but I will remember to bring another Allagash Dubbel Reserve for her tasting pleasures when SteveO and I wine and dine our ladies and Lastly, I will consume and report on accordingly and hope that the 120's redeem my oversight! ;) :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2009, 6:52 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Allagash White-solid Belgian style single, or white ale. The wheat malt makes this a bit sour, cloudy and citrus-like with hints of orange zest and probably some coriander. Fizzy. Good brew for warm spring, summer or fall afternoon, but also good to enjoy as a Brunchgate trader from 8-x . I'm sure the IBU are low, probably 20-30 range and the ABV of this style typically runs about 5% or less. Enjoy with some light appetizers or fruits. Very pleasant. Think Hoegaarden or Blue Moon with this type ale.
Yumm! I'm glad you enjoyed! I also found another Allagash bomber "Dubbel Reserve" that I brought to the Oyster Roast at Donna's and we didn't get a chance to taste it and somehow I ended up bringing it home with me after telling Donna I was going to leave it behind for her to taste and report on in this thread! First, it must have been a reactive grab on my part L-) :-?? to help clean up when snagging the pepsi for Christian off the table, so my many apologies to Ms. Donna for not leaving this behind for her tasting pleasure; Secondly, I hope the 120 IPA leave behinds will suffice as an adequate replacement, but I will remember to bring another Allagash Dubbel Reserve for her tasting pleasures when SteveO and I wine and dine our ladies and Lastly, I will consume and report on accordingly and hope that the 120's redeem my oversight! ;) :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
If there is ever a rare beer that you are undecided sure whether to buy or not, go ahead and make the purchase and I can about 99% promise you I'll trade for it or buy it from you. Unless, of course, you decide to purchase another 12 ounce bottle of iron city or a bomber of budlitelime. :roll: :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Otter Creek Raspberry Brown Ale-an interesting offering from the folks in Ver-mont. This is a fairly typical clean, crisp brown ale with perhaps a bit more hop presence that one would expect but all the caramel maltiness that is instrumental to the style. There is a hint of dark red to the brown color and a mild aroma of raspberry and a bit more prominent taste of the fruitiness. There is not enough fruit to make this a dessert brew but it would be tasty with stews and beef and veggies dishes. The IBU are modest and I'd guess about 30 and the ABV is 5.8%, IIRC. 8-x is redeeming himself for that iron city clunker he slipped into this trader 6er. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2009, 7:02 pm

French Broad Brewing-Gateway Kolsch-Kinda outta place for a cool fall evening but I tasted this a couple weeks ago at The Pit. A very light beer in the typical style of a German kolsch with hints of apples and pears with little malt presence or hops. I'd guess the IBU to be 10-20 and the ABV is 5.3%. A pleasant brew to have with light grilled fare like seafood.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston, NC)-Sisters of the Moon IPA-draft tasting at The Pit a couple weeks ago. A nicely hopped IPA with a bit of grapefruit and a bit of spruce tastes. Good malty balance in a golden, clean pour. I only had an ounce or so but thought it would be a good choice with the chopped 'cue, the beef brisket and the fried chicken. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV was 6.1%. Note: CB&B-you may wanna see what this brewery has on your way through Kinston some time when you are heading to the Triangle. Hey, 8-x could stop by on his way to/from G-ville, too.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 9th, 2009, 7:25 pm

devildeac wrote:Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston, NC)-Sisters of the Moon IPA-draft tasting at The Pit a couple weeks ago. A nicely hopped IPA with a bit of grapefruit and a bit of spruce tastes. Good malty balance in a golden, clean pour. I only had an ounce or so but thought it would be a good choice with the chopped 'cue, the beef brisket and the fried chicken. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV was 6.1%. Note: CB&B-you may wanna see what this brewery has on your way through Kinston some time when you are heading to the Triangle. Hey, 8-x could stop by on his way to/from G-ville, too.
They are the brewery that I mentioned I saw the billboard for. You guessed they were probably pub-only, and you are correct. They don't bottle, but it would be fun to see the brewery. I think we need an NC brewery tour.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 9th, 2009, 8:52 pm

They are the brewery that I mentioned I saw the billboard for. You guessed they were probably pub-only, and you are correct. They don't bottle, but it would be fun to see the brewery. I think we need an NC brewery tour.[/quote]

GREAT idea. This would be a fun thing to do afer bb season. :)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 9th, 2009, 9:46 pm

devildeac wrote:Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston, NC)-Sisters of the Moon IPA-draft tasting at The Pit a couple weeks ago. A nicely hopped IPA with a bit of grapefruit and a bit of spruce tastes. Good malty balance in a golden, clean pour. I only had an ounce or so but thought it would be a good choice with the chopped 'cue, the beef brisket and the fried chicken. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV was 6.1%. Note: CB&B-you may wanna see what this brewery has on your way through Kinston some time when you are heading to the Triangle. Hey, 8-x could stop by on his way to/from G-ville, too.
It's not on his way to or from Greenville, but it is nearby. We'll try to go down there sometime and check it out. Is anyone else interested in joining us?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2009, 10:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:
It's not on his way to or from Greenville, but it is nearby. We'll try to go down there sometime and check it out. Is anyone else interested in joining us?
Let us know his travel plans. We could probably do a drive by on our way to/from the coast. You might get CB&B up if he could arrange a brewery tour and meet the brewmaster ;) :D . DukePA? Rolodex and his family? Duke252?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 9th, 2009, 11:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Let us know his travel plans. We could probably do a drive by on our way to/from the coast. You might get CB&B up if he could arrange a brewery tour and meet the brewmaster ;) :D . DukePA? Rolodex and his family? Duke252?
Count me in!

I've called on major breweries in Winston Salem (originally Schlitz, and then they sold it to ? I believe it closed in the late 80s), Eden (Miller), Williamsburg (AB!) and Elkton, VA (Coors) over the years, trying to sell them stuff (usually successful, BTW). I've always enjoyed ending the day with their brewery tours and sampling rooms!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 10th, 2009, 8:33 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Count me in!

I've called on major breweries in Winston Salem (originally Schlitz, and then they sold it to ? I believe it closed in the late 80s), Eden (Miller), Williamsburg (AB!) and Elkton, VA (Coors) over the years, trying to sell them stuff (usually successful, BTW). I've always enjoyed ending the day with their brewery tours and sampling rooms!
There is also Duck Rabbit in Farmville (they don't give regular tours, I've heard, but might if you called ahead), and the Carolina Beer company in Mooresville, and they do give tours.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 7:53 am

Ommegang-Chocolate Indulgence-This is a marvelous ale. Deep brown and nearly black in color, this pours with a luscious, medium tan head that is retained fairly well. There are hints of coffee but the cocoa that is used in the brewing process is a very pleasant introduction as you appreciate the aroma when first poured, and then again, throughout your enjoyment of your glass. The chocolate imparts some degree of roastiness/bitterness but the malts (black patent and chocolate, I'd bet) make this quite smooth. Best served warm, in a goblet or snifter and as part of dessert. This would be fabulous with a brownie (triple chocolate, of course), a slice of flourless chocolate cake/torte or a small piece of chocolate chip cheesecake (NOT cheeseSTEAK, Ozzie :roll: :D :)) =)) ). I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV is a very pleasant (not boozey) 7%. CB&B shelled out >$12 for this 750 ml bottle for the last Brunchgate so I gotta figure out what to do to equal this or return the favor at some point. :ymapplause: ^:)^
Great choice of a brew I have seen but never tasted before.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 12th, 2009, 8:07 am

Jungle Jim's had a fairly extensive selection of beers. Too many for me to really understand what was going on...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 8:15 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Jungle Jim's had a fairly extensive selection of beers. Too many for me to really understand what was going on...
Never too late to start sampling... ;) :D

Buy yourself a mixed 6er and have one each night next week and then select your favorite and have that one a second time on Saturday night. We'll help you with the virtual tastings. I'm gonna volunteer Lavabe at some point to make the 1 hour (?) drive to C'nati and be your beer tutor. :)) =))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 12th, 2009, 12:49 pm

It's not on his way to or from Greenville, but it is nearby. We'll try to go down there sometime and check it out. Is anyone else interested in joining us?[/quote]
Let us know his travel plans. We could probably do a drive by on our way to/from the coast. You might get CB&B up if he could arrange a brewery tour and meet the brewmaster ;) :D . DukePA? Rolodex and his family? Duke252?[/quote]

if possible, i would to join in the group. souns like fun. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:It's not on his way to or from Greenville, but it is nearby. We'll try to go down there sometime and check it out. Is anyone else interested in joining us?
Let us know his travel plans. We could probably do a drive by on our way to/from the coast. You might get CB&B up if he could arrange a brewery tour and meet the brewmaster ;) :D . DukePA? Rolodex and his family? Duke252?[/quote]

if possible, i would to join in the group. souns like fun. :D[/quote]
Absolutely. The more the hoppier. ;) :D
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 12th, 2009, 1:02 pm

devildeac wrote:Absolutely. The more the hoppier. ;) :D
Very punny?
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 12th, 2009, 1:14 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Very punny?
yes, does'nt take munch for this brunch. :D
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 12th, 2009, 1:17 pm

oops, getting off subject. sorry mods, please don't come down crashing on my head. i'm so afraid. ;) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 6:24 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Very punny?
Good for what ales you... ;) :D