9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CathyCA » December 4th, 2009, 8:14 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Wagner Porter, round 2. Even better than the first one! :D
This post reminds me of:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 4th, 2009, 9:40 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Wagner Porter, round 2. Even better than the first one! :D
This post reminds me of:
Love it!!! :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » December 4th, 2009, 10:29 pm

It's freezing and all I have in the fridge is Mothership Wit and Avery Karma--both summer beers (I have others, but they cellared and I'm not looking to open anything special tonight). As a result, I'm warming up with a lovely glass of Blanton's. Wish I had some of DD's Ten Fiddy :D
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2009, 11:26 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:It's freezing and all I have in the fridge is Mothership Wit and Avery Karma--both summer beers (I have others, but they cellared and I'm not looking to open anything special tonight). As a result, I'm warming up with a lovely glass of Blanton's. Wish I had some of DD's Ten Fiddy :D
That is one really fine imperial stout. I may have to see if I can locate another 4 pack of that. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2009, 11:30 pm

In Heat Wheat-Flying Dog brewing-a bit outta synch with the time of year but a good trader from 8-x, which I am not sure I've ever had before. Typical wheat ale but with a bit less fizz than I expect. Notes of orange zest and coriander in a slightly hazy pour. A nice match with fruits or fatigue after lawn mowing. Good brew with which to start a session. IBU are in Ozzie range at 25 and the ABV is 4.8%.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 5th, 2009, 9:07 pm

BIG FAT THANK YOU TO 8-x !
Dogfish 120 IPA. He brought more than 1 with him, so I shared with DukePA, 8-x , and VDB.
WOW
!!
I've been waiting with anticipation, but didn't expect what I got. An ale so ooooo oooooooo sweet.
So sweet that it takes you so off guard you question if it's beer. It is. And it ain't. It's the beer any brewer would go for..nothing else. I want to make an ale that good. And when I do, I'll sell it. The 120 is in a category on it's own, and I need to take a visit to DC to appreciate it. I want that on draft..
TYVM 8-x
I told c&c tonight that I'm saving a bottle as a possible culture. If it works, it will be my next beer's dad.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2009, 10:47 pm

OK, time for 2 really excellent brews (2 posts, of course :D ):

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale series: Wet Hop Ale

A slightly viscous, very fruity (citrusy) and highly malty brew created from fresh, or "wet" (undried) hops that are harvested in Washington and shipped same day to the brewery and used to created this well-balanced IPA. Clean, golden color with a lingering foamy head that was great with sausage balls, buttered redskin potatoes and NY Strip Steak sammiches. IBU are 60-65 and ABV was 6.7% Can't say enough about how unique and fresh this ale tasted. A truly great find by CB&B. :ymapplause: ^:)^

If you want to read a few more details, look right here: http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html

If rmd can find this one, buy one for now and try one next year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Here's the 2nd one:

Great Divide Fresh Hop Ale:

Once again, the hops in this pale ale (more like an IPA) are harvested in the Pacific NW and shipped un-cured to the brewery to make this fine brew. It is rather different than the Sierra Nevada counterpart as this one is more grassy and piney and less citrusy. It is slightly "thinner" with a similar color and head with an ABV of 6.1% but I'd estimate a similar IBU in the 60 range. The malts balance well with the bite of the hops and this also matched well with the same menu. I don't think I could select a favorite from these two as each brought its own profile to the comparison. Another fine choice by CB&B. :ymapplause: ^:)^

Here's another one for you to search out, rmd. :D
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » December 5th, 2009, 10:59 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, time for 2 really excellent brews (2 posts, of course :D ):

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale series: Wet Hop Ale

A slightly viscous, very fruity (citrusy) and highly malty brew created from fresh, or "wet" (undried) hops that are harvested in Washington and shipped same day to the brewery and used to created this well-balanced IPA. Clean, golden color with a lingering foamy head that was great with sausage balls, buttered redskin potatoes and NY Strip Steak sammiches. IBU are 60-65 and ABV was 6.7% Can't say enough about how unique and fresh this ale tasted. A truly great find by CB&B. :ymapplause: ^:)^

If you want to read a few more details, look right here: http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html

If rmd can find this one, buy one for now and try one next year.
I've had this and very much enjoyed it. I love fresh hop ales. They have such a great grassy, bright freshness.

And (without quoting it; being economical here :) ) glad to hear that CB&B enjoyed the 120-Minute. Was that you first one of those? That beer is sear-your-taste-buds hoppy, with an incredible booze kick, and loads of pulpy grapefruit juice flavor. I generally drink it with desert--strong cheeses--because otherwise my palette is destroyed. I have an October, 2008 bottle in the fridge that I'm saving for as long as possible.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » December 5th, 2009, 11:01 pm

devildeac wrote:Here's the 2nd one:

Great Divide Fresh Hop Ale:

Once again, the hops in this pale ale (more like an IPA) are harvested in the Pacific NW and shipped un-cured to the brewery to make this fine brew. It is rather different than the Sierra Nevada counterpart as this one is more grassy and piney and less citrusy. It is slightly "thinner" with a similar color and head with an ABV of 6.1% but I'd estimate a similar IBU in the 60 range. The malts balance well with the bite of the hops and this also matched well with the same menu. I don't think I could select a favorite from these two as each brought its own profile to the comparison. Another fine choice by CB&B. :ymapplause: ^:)^

Here's another one for you to search out, rmd. :D
Luckily I don't have to search too far to find this one. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2009, 11:10 pm

This goes somewhere between this thread and the "ychh, beer" one: Iron City lager, excuse me, premium lager :roll:. A thin brew with little hop or malt presence (insert canoe joke here). I'd guess the ABV about 4-5% with an IBU of 1-2 (or less). Redeeming feature: a competitor with PBR, I'd guess, for the lawnmower beer award. There's no bad taste here, there's just so little of it.

Sorry 8-x , just had to post it. I know you included it in the 6er as somewhat of a joke (I hope) so I can appreciate your humor, but, moreso, it makes me highly appreciative of your other selections so far this fall, especially the Immort Ale and 120 Minute IPA you included in your previous group of traders. :-* :ymhug:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 6th, 2009, 9:41 am

devildeac wrote:This goes somewhere between this thread and the "ychh, beer" one: Iron City lager, excuse me, premium lager :roll:. A thin brew with little hop or malt presence (insert canoe joke here). I'd guess the ABV about 4-5% with an IBU of 1-2 (or less). Redeeming feature: a competitor with PBR, I'd guess, for the lawnmower beer award. There's no bad taste here, there's just so little of it.

Sorry 8-x , just had to post it. I know you included it in the 6er as somewhat of a joke (I hope) so I can appreciate your humor, but, moreso, it makes me highly appreciative of your other selections so far this fall, especially the Immort Ale and 120 Minute IPA you included in your previous group of traders. :-* :ymhug:
Just as I'm saving the next 120 for a good victory, I'm saving the iron city for....the next time I'm completely out of beer. =))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2009, 2:04 pm

We lived in DC when we were first married. Bud was in the Navy, E3 rate. We were poor. Iron City cost 1.00 a six pack. Even we wouldn't touch the stuff. I'd still rather do with out. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 6th, 2009, 6:33 pm

In honor of brewing a darker ale, but not porter dark, I'm reviewing North Coast's Old Stock Ale (2007). This is a trader from DD.
Right up front you know the ABV is over 10%, it actually checks in at 11.7. Nice light brown color, very fruity and up there on IBU's. I'd guess 80+. The bitterness and dryness separate it from the high ABV belgians, those ales being much sweeter. Fruited taste, on the citrus side. Peppery and tangy undertones. Reminscent of a good dry wine, but with more bite. It's really an interesting beer, I'd buy another single for any mixed pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 6th, 2009, 6:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:In honor of brewing a darker ale, but not porter dark, I'm reviewing North Coast's Old Stock Ale (2007). This is a trader from DD.
Right up front you know the ABV is over 10%, it actually checks in at 11.7. Nice light brown color, very fruity and up there on IBU's. I'd guess 80+. The bitterness and dryness separate it from the high ABV belgians, those ales being much sweeter. Fruited taste, on the citrus side. Peppery and tangy undertones. Reminscent of a good dry wine, but with more bite. It's really an interesting beer, I'd buy another single for any mixed pack.
I'll see if they have another 4 pack left at Total Wine this week.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » December 6th, 2009, 9:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:In honor of brewing a darker ale, but not porter dark, I'm reviewing North Coast's Old Stock Ale (2007). This is a trader from DD.
I love that beer..have a few 08s aging in the cellar...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2009, 8:13 am

Saranac IIPA-Quite an interesting concoction with 10 types of malts and 10 varieties of hops so no flavor or aroma dominates. My first taste is citrus but this is gone fairly quickly for the resinous texture of pine/spruce. All the malts make it fairly well-balanced and the combination of all the above end up with an IBU of 85 and an ABV of 8.5%, so this is not for the faint of tongue/palate. It is slightly viscous/syrupy and a golden/orange color with a lingering 2-3 finger head with a vigourous pour. Nice beverage to have with BBQ stuff and grilled fish/chicken entrees, even if you spice them up a bit with peppery type sauces/glazes. One quibble: they label this as one of their High Peak Series brew but it's the only one I have ever seen. C'mon folks, send us an imperial brown ale, porter or stout, too ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Allagash White-solid Belgian style single, or white ale. The wheat malt makes this a bit sour, cloudy and citrus-like with hints of orange zest and probably some coriander. Fizzy. Good brew for warm spring, summer or fall afternoon, but also good to enjoy as a Brunchgate trader from 8-x . I'm sure the IBU are low, probably 20-30 range and the ABV of this style typically runs about 5% or less. Enjoy with some light appetizers or fruits. Very pleasant. Think Hoegaarden or Blue Moon with this type ale.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » December 7th, 2009, 5:23 pm

devildeac wrote:This goes somewhere between this thread and the "ychh, beer" one: Iron City lager, excuse me, premium lager :roll:. A thin brew with little hop or malt presence (insert canoe joke here). I'd guess the ABV about 4-5% with an IBU of 1-2 (or less). Redeeming feature: a competitor with PBR, I'd guess, for the lawnmower beer award. There's no bad taste here, there's just so little of it.

No problems! Had to mix it up! What can I say, we set the bar at a certain level and we're bound to have a dud occasionally in the name of a beer! So it is "sort of" like a Red, White and Blue or Milwaukee's Best, NOTE: I stress "SORT OF", but after some of the high octane taster's we've shared and tasted, why not save a few bucks!!! :D :D ;)